When Cores Collide

So, what initially started as a team based around trying to make Mega Ampharos turned into some sort of mishmash of two core ideas that's been doing me surprisingly well, as I sit at an ELO 0f 1482. Still there's always room for improvement, so I'd like advice

Maybelline (Ampharos) @ Ampharosite
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SAtk / 64 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse
- Volt Switch

Well, here it is. The fabulous sheep that started this team. I chose Ampharos after seeing how well its Mega could check a number of higher ranked threats even without particularly decent investment (and yes, a bit of a personal bias). Main intent with Ampharos is to Volt Switch around until I get the opportunity to use it to deal with the aformeated threats, such as Mega Pinsir, Keldeo, or Thundurus. T-Bolt for STAB, Focus Blast deals with Steel and Rock switch-ins such as Heatran, Terrakion, and Ferrothorn. Dragon Pulse is another good Neutral STAB, but I dabbled using HP Ice. T-Bolt hits most Flying Types harder than either would neutrally, but any relevant Flying-Type T-Bolt won't hit super-effectively, save Thundurus and Zapdos who cannot do anything to threaten Ampharos back, is 4x weak to HP Ice, namely Landorus and Garchomp. On the other hand, Dragon Pulse is more reliable, since HP Ice only beats those two if they're caught on a switch-in, and a neutral Pulse is stronger than a 2x HP Ice. A slow Volt Switch allows Ampharos to pivot and ensure I don't lose momentum while wearing down its checks.

Maxed HP, then put SpD. EVs to ensure Greninja can't OHKO with Ice Beam after SR. The rest put into offense.

L'oreal (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Flying]

Keldeo I chose because it synergizes well with Mega-Ampharos, taking Ice type moves and eliminating Ground and Ice attackers, in return getting a partner resisting Flying, Grass, and Electric attacks. LO allows Keldeo power without the restrictions of a Choice set. Surf chosen for Accuracy over power, since the gap to Hydro Pump isn't as drastic anymore anyway, Secret Sword for STAB and mixed walls. Icy Wind and HP are his only real coverage, but Icy Wind's speed drops can help slow down attempted set-ups, hit 4x weaknesses, or work as a last ditch boost if a slower threat is the best answer to an opponent. HP Flying chosen so M-Venusaur can't switch-in for free.

252 SpA Life Orb Keldeo Hidden Power Flying vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 146-172 (40.1 - 47.2%) -- 39.5% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Ridley (Skarmory) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Whirlwind

Skarmory was chosen to complete the defensive synergy of the previous two, resisting Psychic, Dragon, Fairy, Ground, and immunity to Toxic and Ground moves. EVs maximize physical bulk, since I don't expect Skarmory to handle any special attackers given its weaknesses to common types already. Sets Stealth Rock and carries Whirlwind to deal with set-up such as WP Aegislash or Dragonite while Sturdy is intact. Roost provides recovery while offsetting weaknesses to mitigate certain coverage types.

Lunar Magic (Clefable) @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Fire Blast
- Soft-Boiled

Now Clefable is when I got a bit into a more well-known core, specifically Fairy-Dragon-Steel. Magic Guard means I can use this to set-up on opposing walls and absorb status, especially if its been Poisoned or Burned. Calm Mind for set-up Moonblast and Fire Blast for coverage. Soft-boiled provides recovery, but I also like Leftovers to mitigate damage during set-up, as it has made the difference between some important 2HKO's and 3HKO's that decided some matches for me. I might be convinced to change to LO if teammates call for it.
(Incidentally, I recall the core thread showing Clefable runs 24 Speed EVs. Is there a purpose, or did I misread it?)

Mansey (Tyranitar) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 108 SDef / 148 Atk
Brave Nature
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Ice Beam

Based on the Keldeo-Pursuit Trapper core of last gen and my team's need for a decent Special tank. Because only defensive pansies depend on Chansey for their Special Defense. This is a MAN'S tank! So yeah. Tyranitar is here for my Special Tank, and with Assault Vest and sand, his bulk gets ridiculous. Edgequake coverage used, and Pursuit to trap Special Attackers and the Latis for Keldeo. Also does decently as beating Ghost types, while Earthquake can stop Aegislash anyway. Ice Beam and this investment allows him to take (barely) a Focus Blast from Landorus-I and manage near-guaranteed OHKO, assured with rocks.

Want Icicles! (Kyurem-Black) @ Leftovers
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 56 HP / 236 Spd / 216 SAtk
Rash Nature
- Substitute
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Kyurem-B is my last addition to the team, offering mixed coverage and a way to deal with a few bulky threats my team hates, such as Mega Venusaur and Rotom-W (watch for Will-o-wisp though) thanks to Teravolt. Substitute is chosen to form 101 HP Subs incase of Chansey, while easing prediction. Fusion Bolt, even uninvested does around 80% to Azumarill, meaning Belly drum sets can't set up if Kyub is behind a Sub, and locking itself into Play Rough on a CB set is inviting Skarmory in to set up my Rocks and phase it or Roost. Rash nature chosen because with more physical threats I find such defense a bit more important. He checks Keldeo's counters like Venusaur, Azumarill, Bulky Waters and (if he has a sub) bulkier dragons, so he's important to break walls for both of the cores this team integrates. Don't know if I'd say a glue, but he has some important threats on his shoulders.

It was recommended on the Kyurem-Black analysis that this many EVs would outrun Max +Speed Mega Garchomp, but is that something Kyurem should be dealing with over other members of the team? Granted, I'm not sure what I'd need max Sp.Attack to beat that he can't now, but it is curious.

As far as potential concerns I have for the team:
-Cleric: This team depends on keeping a lot of members without reliable recovery in good shape to check things, but on the other hand, a Cleric REALLY kills my momentum switching it in. I could use Sylveon in place of Clefable for Wish support, plus Baton Pass for easier switch-ins, but it's a bit harder to cure status than simply be able to absorb it.
-Better Hazard control: My team lacks a Rapid Spinner, and I'm hard pressed to fit Defog on Skarmory since Tar's Vest means he can't do rocks instead. Every member bar Skarmory and Clefable is vulnerable to all hazards, so I do need them dealt with, but I can't decide what move for Skarmory to drop for Defog.

Last edited:

Inflikted

Orco2
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there! I like the good synergy I see here, and props to you for using a really underrated mega! This team has a big flaw though: Its slow pace and the lack of priority moves and hazard control make it quite prone to be overwhelmed by the strong hyper offense spikes-stacking teams that dominate the tier atm. I also do not see anything that can annoy full stall except maybe clefable. I am online with my mobile atm so I will expand on this later :]

Looks like a pretty good and well thought out team on the face of it. If you have issues with hazard control, why not use Defog over Whirlwind on Skarmory? I only ever found Whirlwind really useful on the Gen 5 Spikes stacking set and Defog is obviously really useful.

Changed Whirlwind for Defog on Skarmory to improve Hazard control.

000xxx, I chose Surf because while the power drop from Hydro Pump is traded for accuracy, I don't know if Scald's drop is quite worth it as well. Scald's main appeal to me is spammability, since the burn threatens even counters switching in for little damage. Since LO has less power than Specs and I can change moves, I don't need to worry as much about locking into a spammable move.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)