Volcarona

I think he's gonna get banned within a year or so .. he's just so goood ;D ..

doesn't matter his weakness to SR .. there's no team that isn't weak to him and he can setup so easily on a lot of things .. heatran doesn't even come close to hurt it if he doesn't pack roar or toxic , and he get past resistances easily ..

The only problem i'm seeing with this is that pretty much anyone's going to have Politoed in before a potential Volcarona sweep, and if you'll need enough boosts under your belt to make Hurricane actually work, so for that vital moveslot it doesn't seem incredible. If you've Quiver Danced enough then Bug Buzz will do enough damage to any rain team, and you need something extra like HP Rock to stop Heatran sitting in the way of a sweep.

Not that it's a bad set, coping against practically all weathers, but if you're going to rely on Sun, investing in Morning Sun or something similar might not be too bad, giving you less to worry about Stealth Rock.
Don't you mean HP Ground?

Really, though, what can most Heatran actually do to Volcarona? Stone Edge?

It's not hard to Bug Buzz the monster to pop its Air Balloon to make it vulnerable to HP Ground.

And then in walks Gyarados, Salamence, Dragonite, or Archeops (or even Rotom-H or Moltres) to ruin your fun and promptly kill/threaten you. HP Rock only leaves you with a 30 Speed IV and moves resisted by Keldeo (not released), Thick Fat Hariyama (lol), Poliwrath (double lol), and Terrakion. Only 1 of those is threatening/legal in Wi-fi. Yes, you can pop Heatran's Balloon and HP Ground it, but why bother when HP Rock is pretty much just as good in the Heatran-killing area, and superior in coverage?

Just my 2 cents.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
The only problem i'm seeing with this is that pretty much anyone's going to have Politoed in before a potential Volcarona sweep, and if you'll need enough boosts under your belt to make Hurricane actually work, so for that vital moveslot it doesn't seem incredible. If you've Quiver Danced enough then Bug Buzz will do enough damage to any rain team, and you need something extra like HP Rock to stop Heatran sitting in the way of a sweep.

Not that it's a bad set, coping against practically all weathers, but if you're going to rely on Sun, investing in Morning Sun or something similar might not be too bad, giving you less to worry about Stealth Rock.
Heatran is going to buttrape you.

And then in walks Gyarados, Salamence, Dragonite, or Archeops (or even Rotom-H or Moltres) to ruin your fun and promptly kill/threaten you. HP Rock only leaves you with a 30 Speed IV and moves resisted by Keldeo (not released), Thick Fat Hariyama (lol), Poliwrath (double lol), and Terrakion. Only 1 of those is threatening/legal in Wi-fi. Yes, you can pop Heatran's Balloon and HP Ground it, but why bother when HP Rock is pretty much just as good in the Heatran-killing area, and superior in coverage?

Just my 2 cents.
lol i hate pointless god damn posts like this. "Ill just name all its counters/bad situations and end my posts." And would you like to tell me which pokemon youre playing where a x1 weakness and x4 Weakness are "close"?

lol i hate pointless god damn posts like this. "Ill just name all its counters/bad situations and end my posts." And would you like to tell me which pokemon youre playing where a x1 weakness and x4 Weakness are "close"?
First of all, you're quite a nasty thing.

Second of all, if you actually read what was said, you would see that the point was that if you pop Heatran's balloon with Bug Buzz, then attempt to HP Ground, they can switch in something like Gyarados/Salamence/Dragonite who are immune to HP Ground in addition to resisting your STABs. With HP Rock, you can hit them SE.

And would you like to tell me which pokemon youre playing where a x1 weakness and x4 Weakness are "close"?
Figured out with the slipperjeans calc:

Volcarona@Life Orb (252 EVs, Neutral Nature, +1) Hidden Power Rock vs Heatran@Air Balloon (0/4 EVs, -Nature): 50.2 ~ 59.1% (162 ~ 191 HP)

It's a solid 2HKO with the standard offensive set if you Quiver Dance on its switch-in. Popping the inevitable Balloon and nailing it with a 4x HP Ground does the exact same thing, with the added bonus of failing against the threats I mentioned.

I hope I answered your question. Have a nice day.

Oh god, are people still defending HP Ground? It's a bad choice enough, without Gen 5's new item that makes it almost completely useless.

HP Rock is the only Hidden Power you should be using on Volcarona, pretty much.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
psychic is also a good option...
it has higher base power than hidden power against neutral targets and hits terakion,keldeo and any bulky fighting that may leave a +1 fire attack...
also hp electric is an option if you want to murder guyardos no matter how bulky it is(with sp.def investememnt he can survive hp rock at +1 i think)keldeo and jelicient...
to me hp rock and psychic are the best options...i love psychic on her because it murders her biggest enemy:terakion!!!

The bulky chestorest set is working wonders for me, and I'm not even running fiery dance yet (I do everything the old-fashioned way, including leveling).

I want to thank Ulevo for doing the calcs on it.

First of all, you're quite a nasty thing.

Second of all, if you actually read what was said, you would see that the point was that if you pop Heatran's balloon with Bug Buzz, then attempt to HP Ground, they can switch in something like Gyarados/Salamence/Dragonite who are immune to HP Ground in addition to resisting your STABs. With HP Rock, you can hit them SE.
The turn Volcarona uses Bug Buzz to pop the balloon, Heatran already could have Stone Edge'd it after the balloon popped, assuming Heatran hits ofcourse. Scarf Dugtrio can trap Volcarona and fire a Stone Edge (i don't know if Rock slide can OHKO Volcarona) after one of your pokemons was a unfortunate victim of Volcarona.

From what I know and have seen, both Stone Edge Heatran and Choice Scarf Dugtrio are nearly non-existant on the ladders. Heatran usually has something to the effect of Fire Blast / Earth Power / Stealth Rock / Hidden Power [Ice] or Toxic. Dugtrio is fast enough without a Scarf, using some kind of power-boosting item like Life Orb or Choice Band. In both Dugtrio's items, Volcarona murders it, and Dugtrio is not really common at all. Overall, Fail Edge Heatran and Scarf Dugtrio aren't really huge threats.

tl;dr - Obvious uncommon threats are obvious.

^Agreed; with the ones I've faced, even super-effective scalds and the like have trouble after a quiver dance or two.

I've found that it's pretty easy to counter this thing with Bliss though. Seismic toss/ Toxic in conjunction with Wish/ Softboiled + Leftovers means that Volcarona is always withered down faster than he can boost up and KO.
Outside of the special defensive behemoth though, it can get pretty tricky to stop. If you get it early (before it boosts a whole lot) then a scarf Stone Edge (from the likes of Landorus or Garchomp) will put it in its place (that is, if it doesn't Stone-Miss on you... *grumbles*).

Haven't actually used this thing yet myself, but it seems pretty interesting, and I do need a fire-type :/

Forget about hp ground...all a bulkarona needs to beat heatran is morning sun. Even if its nerfed by weather volcarona will still win easily.

And please stop with stone edge on heatran. I've never seen it once and i play a hell of a lot of PO.

breh

強いだね
yeah I'm still unsure on all of this "heatran walls it business"

Quiver Dance/Bug Buzz/Fiery Dance (or Fire Blast)/Morning Sun is what should be used, simply put. Sun support is a requirement. On a side note, wtf does HP Rock hit exactly? Opposing volcarona?

yeah I'm still unsure on all of this "heatran walls it business"

Quiver Dance/Bug Buzz/Fiery Dance (or Fire Blast)/Morning Sun is what should be used, simply put. Sun support is a requirement. On a side note, wtf does HP Rock hit exactly? Opposing volcarona?
It lets Volcarona hit Dragonite, Salamence and Gyarados (without resorting to Psychic), who resist its STABs, while still hitting Heatran for neutral damage. While Hidden Power (Ground) hits Heatran for 4x super-effective damage, it hits Tyranitar for less damage than Bug Buzz would.

breh

強いだね
since dragonite is the only common one of those, why not just use HP Ice then?

does it really matter if it hits Heatran neutrally?

Gyarados, from what I've seen, is becoming slightly more common now, especially on rain teams. Rock is nice to keep that fullstop from happening with the Offensive set; you're still screwed on "Bulkarona" (I love that name, Green Mage!) and ChestoRest, though. And nobody wants a Heatran sitting on front of them for too long, since if you're going after it with Bug Buzz or HP Ice chipping away, you're asking for a Fire Blast crit, for it to set up a Sub and/or Roar you out, or cause other general mischief like Stealth Rock and Toxic. Heck, even Torment would be bothersome, but I haven't seen that yet. Rock lets you actually take out said Heatran instead of some kind of mutual walling going on.

Edit: not to mention it's my goal right now to bring Salamence back. So watch out if you see me. =P

The choice between Rock or Ground is up to you, if something that is Rock weak is a threat, then use it. Same for Ground, I use Ground, however.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)