ORAS OU Volcarona Balanced

Which Coverage Move Should I Run On Keldeo?

• Icy Wind

Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Hidden Power Bug

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Hidden Power Electric

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Hidden Power Flying

Votes: 3 9.4%

• Total voters
*Team Building Process*
About a week after the Greninja ban I decided to make a team around Volcarona, as I felt it was underrated mon. It can beat Mega-Sableye and Mega-Slowbro in boosting wars, and 2HKOs physically defensive Unaware Clefable.

I decided to add Keldeo as the next member of the team, as it was able to wear down two of Volcarona's hardest checks, Gyarados and Azumarill, and beat Tyranitar, which can survive any one of Volcarona's moves in the sand and KO it with a Rock-type move. Most importantly, Keldeo beats Heatran, which walls non-Hidden Power Ground Volcarona to hell and back.

I needed a Defogger for Volcarona, and initially decided on Latios, but ultimately decided to use Latias for its higher bulk, which allowed it to avoid the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice. Latias, as I mentioned before, is the Defogger of the team, and, with Keldeo to take care of Bisharp, it can Defog reliably in most situations.

My team at the moment was very weak to Azumarill, Latios, and DD M-Altaria, so I added Ferrothorn to help deal with those threats. Ferrothorn also provided Stealth Rock support, and a decent switch in to Landorus-T.

I added a Slowbro next to help with Charizard-X and Talonflame, as they completely destroyed my team. It also provided a more reliable switch in to Landorus-T, since it could heal up most of the U-turn damage with Regenerator, and a bulkier Fighting resist than Latias and Volcarona.

I decided to use Tornadus-T as the last member of the team for a couple of reasons. The biggest reason is that without it, Gengar would 6-0 my team with hazard support. It handles Knock Off Landorus-I better than Latias, and is able to check opposing Volcarona, which would, rather ironically, destroy this team.

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 64 HP / 244 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Volcarona, the reason why this team exists. Volcarona is a very threatening sweeper right know, as its solid bulk and interesting typing allows it to set up on a very large portion of the metagame, such as Mega-Metagross without Bullet Punch, Mega-Scizor, Mega-Manectric, the Latis, etc. Passho Berry widens that list even further, allowing it to set up on Non-Scarf Keldeo, boosted Mega-Slowbro, unboosted Manaphy, and prevents the revenge kill from Aqua Jet Azumarill and Crawdaunt. Quiver Dance is on this set for obvious reasons, as it allows Volcarona to sweep the opposition once Talonflame is gone. Fire Blast is used over Flamethrower or Fiery Dance for the ability to blast past Unaware Clefable, which would otherwise be able to outstall me. Bug Buzz is used to take down the Latis and for a more accurate stab option, and hits Slowbro extremely hard. Giga Drain is the final move on the set, allowing Volcarona to weaken Assault Vest Azu, and beat Keldeo after a boost. The recovery is also nice in some situations. The Speed EVs are used to outspeed Mega-Beedrill and, to a lesser extent, Mega Sceptile after a boost, while the HP Evs allow me to survive a 252+ Scald from a Mega Slowbro after Rocks. 244+ allows me to 2HKO Unaware Clef, and, in general, adds a bit more firepower to Volcarona's attacks. Usually, if I see Volcarona won't be doing much in a match, I'll try switching it in on moves like U-turn or Knock Off to try to get a burn with Flame Body. Otherwise, I'll try to keep Stealth Rock off the field with Latias and Wall break early game, and try setting up a Quiver Dance in the later stages of the match.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Bug]/[Electric]
- Scald

I was originally using Choice Specs Keldeo, but decided to change it to Expert Belt because 1. It allowed me suprise Pokemon like Ferrothorn who can switch into a Choice Locked STAB move but get destroyed by another, and 2. It let me lure in Slowbro. I really hate Slowbro. Keldeo was added to this team because it is able to weaken/kill many of Volcarona best checks/counters, the most important of which being Heatran. I yearn for the day when a Heatran user thinks I'm choice locked into Hidden Power Bug/Electric, but then gets destroyed by a Secret Sword. Other than beating Volc's checks, it provides a much needed check to Bisharp, which would otherwise sweep this team after a boost. Usually, I'll switch in Ferrothorn or something into a Bisharp first to preserve Keldeo's health, but if I know they will Swords Dance or Sucker Punch I'll switch into Keldeo first to force them out. Other than beating Volc's checks and checking Bisharp, Keldeo mainly weakens the opposing team with power moves and burns.

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Latias is here two things: Defog and kick ass check annoying mons. Without it, Mega-Manectric would be able to come in and Volt Switch/Overheat to its heart's content. Latias also checks Charizard very nicely, but I'll usually switch Slowbro into a Charizard that hasn't Mega Evolved yet, as if Latias goes down to a Zard-X Dragon Claw, things can go downhill fast. Roost is used over Healing Wish/another coverage move because I need Latias to be able to check Electrics/Zard-Y throughout a match. The HP EVs allow Latias to avoid the 2HKO from a Life Orb Thundrus Hidden Power Ice, which useful because Life Orb Focus Blast Thundurus destroys this team. It also helps take on Venusaur, Amoongus, and Rotom-W, which it can Defog reliably against, and checks Belly Drum + Knock Off Azumarill, which OHKOs Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn was added to set up Stealth Rock, and acts as the primary Dragon and Fairy resist. I decided to use Rocky Helmet over Leftovers/Shed Shell because I'm a terrible person I find the extra chip damage on mons like Azumarill and Bisharp to be more useful, especially since this is what I usually switch into Knock Off users. Leech Seed is used for recovery, and can also force switches, racking up more Stealth Rock damage. I decided to use Knock Off over something like Protect or Power Whip to remove Heatran and opposing Ferrothorns Leftovers, allowing mons like Latias or Tornadus-T to wear them down quicker. Gyro Ball is mainly used for Mega-Altaria, as it could sweep this team if I ran dual hazards or Power Whip. The EVs give Ferrothorn allow it to avoid the 2HKO from +3 Manaphy, while still maintaining its Physical Defense.

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Slowbro, quite possibly the most annoying physical wall to face, was added to this team to mainly help with Zard-X, Talonflame, and other Physical Fire Types. It also helps beat Landorus-T, Mega-Pinsir, Conkeldurr, Terrakion, Kyurem-B, Mega Gallade, TrickScarf+Rest Gothitelle, the list goes on and on. Usually I will refrain from Mega Evolving until Slowbro is either the last mon left, or really needs the extra Defense/Special Attack, as Regenerator is an extremely good ability to have on a Defensive mon. The Defense EVs are used to avoid the 2HKO from Bisharp's unboosted Knock Off when not Mega Evolved. The Special Defense is mainly there to help against Clefable. It also helps Slowbro avoid the 2HKO after Calm Mind from Mega-Altaria's Modest Hyper Voice. The first Hyper Voice maxes out at 60%, and after a Calm Mind it only does about 40% max, allowing Slowbro to start setting up on, most of the time. If Altaria gets two max rolls, Slowbro loses. Calm Mind+Slack Off is used over CroBro due to the fact that this Slowbro is used primarily as a Physical/Mixed Wall, not a win condition. Having a free moveslot for Psyshock allows Slowbro to beat Clefable easier as well.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Tornadus-T is probably the MVP of the team. Although it sometimes goes down before most of the other members of the team, its usually because I'm sacking it to get an extra Focus Blast on Heatran or Hurricane on Azumarill. Usually what will happen in a game is Tornadus will weaken the opposing team with Knock Offs, U-turns and the occasional Hurrican or Focus Blast to the point where either Keldeo can properly break down the opposing team (Usually Stall) or Volcarona will be able to sweep (Usually Balance). Against Offense, Tornadus-T speed, movepool, and longevity are a nightmare to face by itself, so usually I'll be able to chip away at Offense and Clean with Tornadus. Tornadus is the mon I'll usually switch in if I'm worried about lures. For example, if my opponent has Latios that I think might have Hidden Power Fire, I'll switch into Tornadus instead of Ferrothorn. Same goes for if I'm facing Magnezone+Latios, I'll usually switch Tornadus in on Latios instead of Ferrothorn to prevent the trap. Tornadus is my primary switch into Mega-Venusaur, Gengar and Landorus-I, as it handles them all very well with an Assault Vest. Hurricane is used over Air Slash to guarantee the OHKO on Keldeo with 160 Special Attack EVs, which is something Air Slash cannot accomplish. The Speed is used to outspeed base 115s, ScarfTar, and ScarfGoth, and the rest is put into HP. Timid is used over Hasty or Naive because, although the set uses two physical moves, they are only used for their utility, not their damage output, and Timid also preserves it's defenses.

*Threats*

Special Mega Altaria: If a Modest Mega Altaria hits me on the switch into Ferrothorn, I'm in a large amount of trouble. Luckily, Volcarona can set up on most Special Mega-Altarias, as can Slowbro, which was mentioned before.

Swords Dance Bisharp: A well played Bisharp can weaken my team a lot, although usually I can knock it out with the combination of Stealth Rock+Life Orb+Rocky Helmet. Keldeo can check it if it's at a reasonable amount of health

SubPunch Breloom: SubPunch Breloom is very annoying if it gets in on Slowbro. Usually, I'll be forced to let something go to sleep, then let something take a Focus Punch. Luckily, if something is already put to sleep, Tornadus-T can handle it. This is the one of the few common variants of Breloom Ferrothorn can not beat.

Specially Defensive Unaware Clefable: Luckily, this set isn't common, mainly due to the fact it loses to Latis+Gallade, but it is annoying due to its ability to stall out Volcarona and Slowbro. Latias can 2HKO it while living any hit, while Ferrothorn beats it realiably.

Mega Gardevoir: Everytime I see this thing I cry a little inside. Ferrothorn at full health can live an unboosted Focus Blast, and Volcarona can take a hit and set up, but otherwise I have to sack a couple mons to take it down.

Crawdaunt: Basically the same as Bisharp, but it hits harder, doesn't punish defog and Latias checks it reliably. It also cannot revenge Volcarona due to Passho Berry weakening the power of Aqua Jet

Mega Pinsir: Ferrothorn+Mega-Bro will be able to stop it, but one will end up fainted and the other weakened. This opens up holes for stuff like Rock Polish Landorus-T to sweep the remaining members of the team. Tornadus-T can also check it, but only if rocks aren't up.

Mega Heracross: Basically WallBreaking Megas do a lot of damage to this team. Mega Heracross is arguably the easiest one to handle though, as Tornadus can switch into everything but Rock Blast while Latias can switch into everything but Pin Missile (Although Rock Blast does a lot). Keldeo can switch in on anything, but takes a lot from Close Combat, and doesn't have recovery.

*Importable*
Volcarona @ Passho Berry
EVs: 64 HP / 244 SpA / 200 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

Keldeo-Resolute @ Expert Belt
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Scald

Latias (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Defog

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Knock Off
- Gyro Ball

Slowbro @ Slowbronite
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Slack Off

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 132 HP / 160 SpA / 216 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- U-turn

Last edited:
Sorry for the one liner, I don't have really much time but you should most likely use 31 IVs on Tornadus-T. A harder hitting Knock Off is more important than the reduced damage of a Foul Play.

A defensive Volcarona really allows it to set up in the face of even a wider range of a Pokémon such as Rotom-W, Torndaus-T, Zapdos, Kyurem-B, Thundurus and more. Volcarona just doesn't do enough damage even with maxed out offenses, nor does it outspeed the plethora of fast and hard hitting attackers in the tier. Giga Drain also only does about as much as Bug Buzz does to Water pokemon already. Only thing it nets coverage on are Keldeo/Swampert. Try this set out instead:
Volcarona @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Roost
Outspeeds positive natured base 80s, and the massive bulk + reliable recovery allows it to set up multiple boosts. Best used once his checks are weakened/gone, but you can still send him out early on to throw Bug Buzzes/Fiery Dances as they can do a decent amount of damage with no boosts.
You might also want to consider using Megagross as his synergy with Volcarona is splendid. They resist each other's weaknesses, as well as beats each other's checks/counters.

Well it's a good team. And as for your poll, I would say run HP electric and instead of Scald run Icy wind. On Ferrothorn I would recommend using Power Whip over knock off and use maybe a life orb or Leftovers rather than the passho berry. Instead of tornadus -T I would recommend using mixed thunderus. This will allow your team more to apply more pressure on hazard removers and it's a better abuser of a mixed set than tornadus.
Hope I helped

Thank you everyone for your input!

Soulblaster, I'll definitely change the IVs back to 31. I actually kind of forgot I did that in the first place. Considering that there are only two common users of Foul Play (Sableye and Mandibuzz), I really don't need to be worried about them, especially since they still won't be doing much damage.

Froppe, I'm going to keep the set I have right now, as it sets up on more with Passho Berry than the bulky set. Neither of them should try setting up on Thundurus or Tornadus-T tbh, mainly because of Thunder Wave and a powerful Hurricane. Also a 135 Modest Volcarona hits extremely hard, so I don't know what you were talking about there. 244+ SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 120 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 137-162 (41.8 - 49.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO. Giga Drain is useful for Rotom-W and Swampert, but is mainly there for Keldeo, Azumarill, and most importantly, Mega Diancie, which would otherwise wall the set.

Disciple_1, I'll probably change HP Bug to HP Electric, and I'll try out Icy Wind over Scald later. Power Whip is something I've heavily considered on Ferrothorn for SubDD Mega Gyarados, but Knock Off is also nice to get rid of Leftovers on opposing Ferrothorn, Heatran, etc. I'll probably test that out later too. I'm not going to replace Tornadus-T with Thundurus, as Gengar will absolutely destroy this team without it, and I don't care much about punishing Defog on this team. Tornadus-T isn't here to break down opposing teams with its Mixed coverage, but to whittle down my opponents team and check certain things that cause this team trouble.

Last edited:
spacejam there i are some changes that should be used for your volcarona set, the evs are fine but change fire blast to fiery dance becuase one, accuracy, 2 50% change to increase spcial attack which is great . Also i would recomment roost instead of giga drain for reliabile recovery, that is what i have and it is working really well, keldeo should have a life orb for reliable boosted damage and 2 water attacks are nt a smart idea i would change one of them and put calm mind which really increases damage output, also the evs for mega slowbro are just WORNG WRONG WRONG WRONG the whole point is to invest 252 def and put bold nature to get the amazing 504 def stat so you can boost in any physcialls attackers face but you messed that up. I am so freakin pissed, nvm but anyway change knock off to protect!!!! for ferrothorn, and for latias i run about the same set execpt i changed psyshock for a status move and i recommend you do the same.

Renokiru, I already explained all my move choices before, status moves aren't very good on Latias because its main switch in are either not effected by it (Steels/Clef) or are Clerics (Chansey/Heal Bell Clef). I can't afford to run Life Orb on Keldeo because it's my only +2 Bisharp check, and if it gets weakened by its own LO before the Bisharp encounter I'll be in range for Sucker Punch.Two Water moves on Keldeo has been standard for a very long while now, Scald or Surf for accuracy and Hydro Pump for a nuke. Slowbro doesn't need Max Defense to wall physical attackers. For example:

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Slowbro: 111-132 (28.1 - 33.5%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 168+ Def Mega Slowbro: 117-138 (29.6 - 35%) -- 13.4% chance to 3HKO

spacejam there i are some changes that should be used for your volcarona set, the evs are fine but change fire blast to fiery dance becuase one, accuracy, 2 50% change to increase spcial attack which is great . Also i would recomment roost instead of giga drain for reliabile recovery, that is what i have and it is working really well, keldeo should have a life orb for reliable boosted damage and 2 water attacks are nt a smart idea i would change one of them and put calm mind which really increases damage output, also the evs for mega slowbro are just WORNG WRONG WRONG WRONG the whole point is to invest 252 def and put bold nature to get the amazing 504 def stat so you can boost in any physcialls attackers face but you messed that up. I am so freakin pissed, nvm but anyway change knock off to protect!!!! for ferrothorn, and for latias i run about the same set execpt i changed psyshock for a status move and i recommend you do the same.
I think you need to chill qnd read the etiquette for rtms bro.

Anyway nice team but for bro use the ev spread to check specs keldeo or go fully defensive imo. And for volca use fiery dance+giga drain if youre going for bulky volca and if you re using offensive QD use HP ground over giga drain as heathran stops you very easily and can roar/toxic/ancient power you.

EDIT : also you have ferrot on your team as a axu, latios and altaria check but BD Azu beats it with knock off and most altarias and latios carry hp fire. Just pointing it out. I d recommend Heathran but latios and altaria carry EQ so its pointless

Last edited:
i see, i havr run my own calculations, and you are right if the opposition do not boost but letsnot take into account of that.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Your threats are everything in OU. Crawduant is a problem you have Keldeo and Ferrothorn has it can touch it (unless superpower). Pinsir and Hera aren't common same as gardevoir. Heracross isn't a threat until latias is gone. I would change tornadus-t its useless on your team. Change it to talonflame and will get rid of your weakness to Pinsir, Hera, Breloom, and maybe Garevoir.

Set:

Talonflame@sharp beak
Ability:Gale Wings
EVS: 252 atk / 88 hp / 168
Nature:Jolly
Swords Dance/Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/Roost

I made it a swords dancing recoil taking set in case your were complaining about being banded. Its EVS are that way to out speed latis hit hard and live recoil. Moves are explanitory.

Small change, but I would a Volcarona set that looks more like this:

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Timid
Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain

The reason? This:
+1 252 SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 333-393 (104.3 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Scarf Landorus-T does not impede your sweep at +1. Pretty huge imo. Also, have you tried SubCM Keldeo? EBelt is great as a lure, but SubCM is better as a stallbreaker.

Your threats are everything in OU. Crawduant is a problem you have Keldeo and Ferrothorn has it can touch it (unless superpower). Pinsir and Hera aren't common same as gardevoir. Heracross isn't a threat until latias is gone. I would change tornadus-t its useless on your team. Change it to talonflame and will get rid of your weakness to Pinsir, Hera, Breloom, and maybe Garevoir.

Set:

Talonflame@sharp beak
Ability:Gale Wings
EVS: 252 atk / 88 hp / 168
Nature:Jolly
Swords Dance/Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/Roost

I made it a swords dancing recoil taking set in case your were complaining about being banded. Its EVS are that way to out speed latis hit hard and live recoil. Moves are explanitory.
i think i would put life orb for consisten damage since sharp beak only gives you a boost if the opposing is weak to flying also, without jolly taloneflame reaches 361 speed which is fast enough so you might as well run adament and i feel that u turn is better for momentum as talonflame isnt a sweeping pokemon right?

wait am inute, you have psyshock right, then use that to kill gengar, genar is weak to psychic if not you should have a dark type of your team or something else thats better than tornatus

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
i think i would put life orb for consisten damage since sharp beak only gives you a boost if the opposing is weak to flying also, without jolly taloneflame reaches 361 speed which is fast enough so you might as well run adament and i feel that u turn is better for momentum as talonflame isnt a sweeping pokemon right?
Sharp Beak gives a 20% boost to all Flying type moves. Expert Belt is the item that boosts SE moves. In this case, with SD/Roost, he actually probably is going to use Talonflame to sweep in some cases.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
okay i see your point but what about flare blitz?
It isn't boosted by the item. He probably put Sharp Beak>LO so the recoil doesn't kill you and you don't have to Roost as often, and you will still hit plenty hard enough with SD. Also, he put Sharp Beak>Charcoal to boost Brave Bird instead of Flare Blitz, as with Talonflame, you generally spam priority Brave Bird.

EDIT: Didn't want to make a new post, but Pooch13 if Altaria carries a Fire move, it will likely be Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Just a small nitpick though.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)