Victini (Analysis)

Thunder punishes Bulky Waters and Gyarados, and lets Victini counter Rain teams!

How? Victini will just get killed by pretty much any member of a good Rain team, and Thunder is pretty much crap outside of Rain. Being walled by Tyranitar and Heatran is VERY huge, considering that Tyranitar is one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame

How? Victini will just get killed by pretty much any member of a good Rain team, and Thunder is pretty much crap outside of Rain. Being walled by Tyranitar and Heatran is VERY huge, considering that Tyranitar is one of the most common Pokemon in the metagame
Because a lot of the time, Waters switch into Victini! Obviously it's a good move on the switch-in--Victory Star boosts its accuracy, etc! Tyranitar's common and so is ANY water pokemon. It at least deserves a mention, even on a defensive set.

Some people may have already mentioned these, but here I go.

Thunderbolt still averages more power than Victory Star+Thunder (95>92.4), but that paralysis can be quite useful.

For the support/annoyer set, you should mention Searing Shot's annoying way of burning 30% of the time, in case you don't have the time to use Will-O-Wisp. In addition, you should probably bump the speed EVs up by 8 to outspeed Gyarados, who will be a major pain in the ass if it isn't burned.

Speaking of those, you desperately need to mention a physical set. For example, the Final Gambit set is often run with physical attacks instead of special because V-Create is so damn strong. Fusion Bolt and Zen Headbutt can match Thunderbolt and Psychic, but Brick Break is a big notch down from Focus Miss But At Least It Doesn't Miss As Much, and all of Victini's Grass attacks are special.

Do you know what's really overkill? Sun Choice Band Victini with V-Create. It also gets SolarBeam to kill whatever Water types can actually survive, but Fusion Bolt can also get the job done. It just doesn't pwn Rock types.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You're confusing power with consistency. I acknowledged Thunderbolt's superior accuracy in the analysis, but it really does nothing at all to keep Victini from being walled by bulky Water types. Thunderbolt can barely even reach 50% max damage on Vaporeon, Suicune, Jellicent, and Politoed on any of their standard sets, and with Leftovers recovery, you're only going to 2HKO in your dreams.

Thunder is consistent where Thunderbolt is not: every time it hits, it will deal well over half. This is what Victini needs to get past these Pokemon. On the occasion it misses, so be it; I'd rather actually have a chance to beat them than to deal less than half 100% of the time, or wait until they're at ~40% to stay in and attack. If you're facing a Rain team, you don't even have to worry about the accuracy drop.

Aside from the Speed IVs, this is also why you don't want to be caught dead with HP Fighting instead of Focus Blast on Gengar: it's not going to beat Tyranitar or any other bulky Steel type. In a do or die situation, HP Fighting will let you down more than Focus Blast.

SJCrew

Massive update on the OP. There will definitely be two Choice Scarf sets before the week's end, and a possible Trick Room set once I've tested it and can personally vouch for the results. Any opinions on a mixed set?

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I know you're still updating the OP, but CB V-Create is just so broken that I believe it should be the main set. In the sun (need to mention sun support), pretty much everything that does not have a 4x resistance or Flash Fire, apart from a select few Pokemon with abnormally bloated defenses like Cresselia, are OHKOed. The list of Pokemon that you provided that check it can only switch in once at most when it's sunny (apart from Heatran). Even Kingdra risks getting 2HKOed by the thing. I 2HKOed a +2 Def Sigilyph earlier today as well (and this is without sun!).

About the last slot on the physical set, consider Flare Blitz as an attack to throw out if you have the opportunity to sweep. Zen Headbutt is admittedly pretty weak sauce.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103887 <= Fireburn's Ubers analysis can provide some ideas if you need them. Good luck.

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
for the final gambit set might i suggest wish support to regain health lost from stealth rock, sandstorm, and other passive damage? vaporeon seems like he could help by absorbing water attacks and even some other attacks with its massive defenses.
espeon also seems like it could be of use to prevent entry hazards from even coming too your side of the field, and can also set up screens to support the whole team and victini when he switches into an attack

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
name: Physical Attacker
move 1: V-create
move 2: Fusion Bolt
move 3: Brick Break
move 4: U-turn / Zen Headbutt
item: Choice Band / Life Orb

For consistency sake with the rest of the site, this should be split into a Choice Band set and a Physical Attacker set.

SJCrew

CB and LO Victini are exactly the same set with different items, so there's no need to give them different analyses. For reference, see Weavile's 4th gen analysis. I'll be sure to highlight the difference in AC.

About the special sweeper set, you should slash sub or work up. I've used both to some success. Too bad it doesn't get calm mind.

Edit: Would some sort of mixed victini work with work up?

Diana

This isn't even my final form
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
About the special sweeper set, you should slash sub or work up. I've used both to some success. Too bad it doesn't get calm mind.

Edit: Would some sort of mixed victini work with work up?
I wouldn't say it's worthy of a set but Other Options maybe. Too many things outspeed on the switch and hit really hard on Victini's typing to make it work.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Just a nitpick but in the physical attacker set, it says Fusion Bolt which is a move exclusive to Zekrom instead of Wild Charge.

I was actually trying to come up with a good mixed set and I really didn't get too into it but I figured
V-Create/Fusion Bolt/Psychic/Focus Blast w/speed boosting nature and equal attacking stats @ Life Orb.
And HP Ice in place of Psychic or HP Ground in place of Focus Blast as other options and the set name would HAVE to be Martini!
Also, SJCrew I'm sure you can find a way to make the mixed set better than what I got but at least try it =P

prem

failed abortion
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was actually trying to come up with a good mixed set and I really didn't get too into it but I figured
V-Create/Fusion Bolt/Psychic/Focus Blast w/speed boosting nature and equal attacking stats @ Life Orb.
And HP Ice in place of Psychic or HP Ground in place of Focus Blast as other options and the set name would HAVE to be Martini!
Also, SJCrew I'm sure you can find a way to make the mixed set better than what I got but at least try it =P

the mix set will probably be mostly probably with v-create as its one physical attack. i would think soomething like
-vcreate
-focus blast
-thunder
-filler

I wrote this set out while pondering what the heck to do with my Victini after reading this whole thread through. It's my first post for a competitive set on Smogon, so feel free to tear it to shreads. It's all a learning experience. =P

Not sure if it'll hold any weight, but give me your thoughts. It was crafted to counter all of his weaknesses, with one STAB.

move 1: Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Psychic (STAB of your choice)
move 2: Focus Blast (Defense against Dark and Rock)
move 3: Shadow Ball (Defense against Ghost)
move 4: Energy Ball/Solarbeam (Defense against Ground and Water)
item: Wise Glasses
nature: Timid
evs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA/ 252 Spe

Here's my thought process with this. It has five weaknesses, Dark, Ghost, Ground, Rock, and Water. It can cover all of those in 3 moves. Slam a STAB for that neutral/SE attack and it strikes interesting to me.

Fore note: The information is running the set mentioned, and using Flamethrower for the STAB, and Energy Ball for Move 4. I mentioned Fire Blast and Solarbeam for if it was receiving Sunny Day support. Psychic was mentioned if you opt for that instead. I used this damage calculator to crunch the numbers you see below.

Granted, the first downsides I can immediately see are:

Immunities to fire with Flash Fire -
Pokemon who can learn this are:
Ninetales - Since Ninetales usually runs Drought in Gen V, Gen IV sets would apply to this. You would at most 4-5HKO it with Focus Blast if it was running 252 HP/252 SpD and +SpD Nature. Tied for Speed.
Arcanine - Arcanine usually runs Intimidate in both Gen IV and V, but you would at most 4HKO it with Focus Blast with 252HP/252SpD and +SpD nature, while it has the same chance to do so with Flare Blitz and Wild Charge with 252 Atk/252 Spe. You out-speed as long as you run Timid.
Rapidash - While he can 3-4HKO you with Megahorn, outspeed you unless -Spe natured, and put you to sleep with Hypnosis, you can 2HKO it with Focus Blast.
Flareon - Due to his SpD Bulk, usual investment into SpD, and access to Wish, Flareon can be problematic.
Houndoom - You out-speed with Timid and 2HKO it with Focus Blast against 252 HP/252 SpD and +SpD nature.
Heatran - Unless it is running Choice Scarf, you will out-speed it. If it’s 252 SpA, it can 2HKO you with Earth Power. Otherwise, if it’s running 252 SpD/252 HP and +SpD nature, you 2-3HKO it with Focus Blast.
Chandelure - According to Here, Chandelure is a Trick Room or a Choice Scarf recommended user. That can means problems. You can 3HKO it with Shadow Ball if it’s running 252 SpD/252 HP and +SpD Nature. However, it can 2HKO you with STAB Shadow Ball, regardless if it evens puts any EVs into SpA.
Heatmor - No sets are out for this guy, but you can 3-4HKO a 252SpD/252HP +SpD Nature.
Typhlosion - It ties with Victini for speed, but if it’s running 252 HP/252 SpD +SpD Nature, you’ll 4HKO it with Focus Blast. Watch out if it’s running HP Rock however.
Entei - Again, tying for speed, but if it’s running 252 SpD/252 HP +SpD Nature, you’ll 4-5HKO it with Focus Blast. Watch out, however, because he’ll 2HKO you with Stone Edge.

Immunities to Grass with Sap Sipper -
Pokemon who can learn this are:
Sawsbuck - Hit it with Flamethrower instead. Unless it's running 252 HP/252 SpD and a SpD+ nature where you'll 2HKO, you'll OHKO it.
Azumarill - Most sets I've seen, regardless of ridding it of a SE, Huge Power is better. If he was running Sap Sipper, he would be problematic.
Girafarig - Hit it with STAB Flamethrower instead. 2-3HKO if it was running 252 HP/252 SpD and a SpD+ nature, but all Gen IV sets don't do this.
Stantler - Hit it with Focus Blast. 2HKO on 252 HP/252 SpD and a SpD+ nature.
Miltank - Hit it with Focus Blast. 2HKO on 252 HP/252 SpD and a SpD+ nature.
Zebstrika - Hit it with STAB Flamethrower instead. It will outspeed you with a neutral Spe nature against your +Spe nature, but it can only 3-4HKO you with it's STAB Thunder Bolt (252 SpA/252 Spe), or 3HKO with STAB Thunder (252 SpA/252 Spe) or Wild Charge (252 Atk/252 Spe), giving you time to 2HKO with your STAB Flamethrower.

Counters discussed at the first post by SJCrew
Blissey - If it can’t kill you quick, it’ll stall you to death. Luckily, unless you’re against an Uber set up Blissey, Blissey normally buffs 4 SpD/252HP. If this is the case, you’ll 4-5HKO it with Focus Blast. If it for some reason is running 252 SpD/252HP, it’ll take 5-6 Focus Blasts to take her out.
Chansey - Same with Blissey. With Eviolite attached to her, it’ll be a 6-7HKO with Focus Blast against a 252HP/252SpD +SpD Nature.
Latias - While you can 4-5HKO it with Shadow Ball if it’s running 252HP/252SpD +SpD Nature, you’ll have to do a 5-6HKO if it runs Soul Dew plus the previously mentioned stats. However, it will 2HKO you with even just Dragon Pulse if it runs Soul Dew, 252SpA/252Spe Timid. Problematic. Period.
Latios - Same as Latias. 5HKO with Shadow Ball against it’s most specially defensive set and Soul Dew, 3-4HKO without Soul Dew. It’ll 2HKO or OHKO you however with Dragon Pulse and no EV investment in SpA. Problematic.
Garchomp - Considering it can OHKO you with Earthquake 75% of the time, Garchomp is for sure problematic, outspeeding you with a 252Atk/252Spe Jolly nature. You can 3HKO it with Focus Blast, but good luck with that.

Anything else I missed?

While I appreciate the amount of work that went into making that set...

1. Think in terms of "how do I counter my METAGAME weaknesses."

Not how can I cover my type weaknesses.

2. ...Victini gets better things to cover bulky Waters than Energy Ball. Notably, Thunderbolt/Thunder/event Fusion Bolt.

3. ...Avoid mentioning mons that are just not going to be used against this thing. Nobody uses Heatmor.

Thank you for being willing to learn.

I understand the metagame weaknesses, and I am very tempted to go through the whole OU analysis section of the forum and write out what to use on who, but I think that'd be a bit overkill. =P

With the bulky waters, they also can get hit with grass moves and still be a weakness. Some of the water types I saw when browsing through the OU section also included pokemon such as Quagsire and Swampert, who are not only immune to thunder, but have a 4x grass weakness. Wouldn't that make grass moves a little more effective in this case?

I understand that certain Pokemon, such as Heatmor, are not particularly used. My point in mentioning him was for the sake of the flash fire. I didn't go into much detail with the guy, and that whole section kinda proves a point that most fire Pokemon are going to give Victini some trouble. Aside from Rapidash, who has low defense base stats anyway, it would take 3 turns or more to knock them out. Definitely worth switching to someone who can be more effective.

Using a counterweakness pokemon is extremely counter intuitive. Sure you can have moves to handle your usual counters and weakness but if you do so you're basically counting that your opponent uses those pokemon at all times and that victini can actually properly take care of them. (this is before even mentioning by doing a counter pokemon moveset that you're also making yourself a lot weaker in terms of sweeping since you're concentrating on taking care of your threats not on just taking out as many pokemon possible)

For example ghosts are going to outspeed and threaten to OHKO anyways so the fact you have a move for them is largely pointless. Hitting water/grounds is a small issue compared to hitting every single other one of your possible checks much harder. Focus blast has always been a mean slash so eh. Same with fire blast.

So basically you're using Victini as a lure... To its own counters and hoping you actually can do something to them? It just seems pointless and most of its checks/counters would still be its checks/counters regardless of you having the situational moves.

Also wise glasses is sort of terrible. If you're going full offensive at least use life orb. Without life orb you'll be missing a lot a of possible OHKOs.

You also need to do research on pokemon before you post about them. I get you're trying to make the bulkiest variants possible but almost every single on of the pokemon you listed are not even close to standard sets and will never be. Not to mention you listed soul dew on lati@s which is needless to say really dumb considering its not released and even if it is will be shoved right up to uber.

Your counter section is also much too short. With your moveset almost every dragon will counter/check your victini. So will a lot of bulky waters, bulky rocks, bulky grounds, etc.

On another note don't do the same thing to every thread. You'd clog them up really. The sets mentioned are pretty much the best made unless you come up with some ground breaking new EV set or strategy.

Well The mixed set could really vary depending on if your running with sun support or not. If you are using sun support I'd suggest

Set Name: Mixed Sun Support Sweeper
move 1: V Create
move 2: Fusion Bolt
move 3: Solar Beam
move 4: Psychic/HP Ice/Hp Ground
item: Life Orb
nature: Naive
evs: 128 Atk/ 128 SpA/ 252 Spe

So for a kinda brief overview, V-Create in sun does the best neutral damage on this set but you need to pay attention to the speed and defense drops which will likely make you switch after 1 or (maybe) 2 uses of the move. Fusion Bolt is a good coverage move and the strongest accurate electric move he gets (Thunder's accuracy is lowered in sun). Solar Beam hits Water and Rock which resist Fire for super effective damage. And the last move determines what you want to be walled by. Psychic was really only listed for secondary stab but HP Ice takes care of Dragons, Gliscor, Landorus, and HP Ground takes care of Flash Fire pokemon. Also a choice scarf is another viable option and I'd still recommend naive on that as to be able to use V-Create and be able to out-speed everything timid Victini does.

Set Name: Martini (Mixed)
move 1: V-Create
move 2: Thunder/Fusion Bolt
move 3: Focus Blast/Searing Shot

Ok so I'm just going to explain the slashed in moves as the rest is the same as the above set. Thunder has 77% accuracy on Victini so It's a bit more reliable than normal and you need the extra power due to the split evs Although Fusion Bolt can help Somebody think you're a physical Victini making them switch to their physical wall (although V-Create can also do the same but the speed and defense drop really hurt). And Focus Blast is good coverage while Searing Shot can help bluff being a special Victini and V-create/Fusion Bolt will Cripple if not kill special walls like Blissey or Jellicent (and 30% chance burn is always nice).

Maybe the sets are too similar to be individual sets but go ahead and critique or try the sets for yourselves and see if their can be any improvements made.

prem

failed abortion
Set Name: Martini (Mixed)
move 1: V-Create
move 2: Thunder/Fusion Bolt
move 3: Focus Blast/Searing Shot

Ok so I'm just going to explain the slashed in moves as the rest is the same as the above set. Thunder has 77% accuracy on Victini so It's a bit more reliable than normal and you need the extra power due to the split evs Although Fusion Bolt can help Somebody think you're a physical Victini making them switch to their physical wall (although V-Create can also do the same but the speed and defense drop really hurt). And Focus Blast is good coverage while Searing Shot can help bluff being a special Victini and V-create/Fusion Bolt will Cripple if not kill special walls like Blissey or Jellicent (and 30% chance burn is always nice).

Maybe the sets are too similar to be individual sets but go ahead and critique or try the sets for yourselves and see if their can be any improvements made.
mix sets are normally lures for its would be counters but still has an emphasis on a sepcific atking type. i think the mix set should look like this

Mixtini:
@life orb
naive/ hasty
56 atk/ 200 Spa/ 252 spe
-v-create
-thunder
-focus blast
-searing shot / hp ice

the evs are made to have a sure fire 2hko on standard chansey WITHOUT rocks, so with rocks you only need 4 atk evs. thunder and focus blast cover its other weaknesses, while searing shot could be for a reliable stab, but hp gets dragons a gliscor harder (not that any of the physical ones like being burned by searing shot)

mix sets are normally lures for its would be counters but still has an emphasis on a sepcific atking type. i think the mix set should look like this

Mixtini:
@life orb
naive/ hasty
56 atk/ 200 Spa/ 252 spe
-v-create
-thunder
-focus blast
-searing shot / hp ice

the evs are made to have a sure fire 2hko on standard chansey WITHOUT rocks, so with rocks you only need 4 atk evs. thunder and focus blast cover its other weaknesses, while searing shot could be for a reliable stab, but hp gets dragons a gliscor harder (not that any of the physical ones like being burned by searing shot)
Ok true it may not need all the 128 atk evs or fusion bolt depending if you want to be able to check jellicent who is a pretty major victini counter. that's why i have stuff slashed in. so that you can put what works best with your team. also i haven't run calcs but i know V-Create 128 atk w/life orb 1hko's a good number of things that get hit neutrally by it. your set is a special victini that can 2hko blissey/chansey.
Also Mixtini? Ew no, Martini ftw.

anyone think about a physical set were the item u use it white herb? i am running one with max attack ev's max speed ev's and then 4 in hp and a adamant nature. i should also mention this is a sun team. anyway this set up with white herb is amazing and i think should be a consideration for the physical set

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)