XY OU Very Bird, Much Word - A Bird Spam team (Peaked 1800s)

Hi there for my third RMT in OU. This is a bird spam team that I used around mid to high ladder to a decent amount of success. This is "Version 4" of the team featured in my first OU RMT. The teambuilding process is so convoluted that I can't be bothered to remember it, but it does involve me changing the Charizard to a bulkier spread, adding the triple bird core, and realizing that my team was walled by Heatran and desperately needed a lure for it. After all that the team looks nothing like what it originally did and I have thus created a seperate RMT for it as opposed to me simply editing the original RMT.

Here's the team:

Smogon Bird (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- U-turn

You can't make a bird spam team without this guy. He's completely invaluable to any frail offensive team. Being capable of stopping almost every sweeper in their tracks is no small feat. The Jolly nature allows me to speed tie with other Talonflame, and outspeeds several scarfers and Greninja, as well as Thundurus.

Other Smogon Bird (Staraptor) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- Pursuit

Scarfed Staraptor compliments Talonflame quite nicely. It allows me to revenge frail pokes that resist Flying type or are resistant to Flying. Adamant prevents me from losing too much power. Lastly, Pursuit is the wildcard. Pursuit ends up being almost completely worthless in some matches, and sometimes it saves my ass. It's mostly the surprise factor that makes Pursuit worth it. If this thing got Taunt, I'd switch to it in an instant to stop those Baton Pass teams.

Smogon Bird Spam (Hawlucha) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Hawlucha is usually neglected. I don't understant all the hate it's getting. Sure, it's really frail and weak to common priority. However, it has such a good matchup against Stall that I wanted to use it. However, it is one of the best switch-ins to Landorus-T. It takes next to nothing from U-turn, can take a Stone Edge(and fish for a miss), isn't crippled by Knock Off, and, of course, is immune to Earthquake. If it switches in on Knock Off, it can even set up on Landorus-T. The 30 HP IVs are to make Unburden activate after 2 substitutes or 4 SR switch-ins.

Smogon defogger (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 Atk / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Latios is the defogger. He allows for me to keep rocks off my side of the field against teams that can set them up on Garchomp. The EVs allow me to OHKO Heatran with Earthquake regardless of whether rocks are on the field. This is important as I'll often be defogging whenever there are rocks and if necessary, I may even have to switch him in on Heatran and defog the rocks away.

Smogon Dragon (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 152 HP / 168 Atk / 4 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

This is one of the scariest sweepers around. Having a great speed tier and decent bulk and power lets me consistently set this guy up. The EVs are weird, but they're very specific and have saved me many times. The HP and SpD minimizes SR damage while avoiding the 2HKO from Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, allowing me to set up on it while fishing for a miss and potentially PP stalling it. The Speed and a Jolly nature allows it to outrun Scarf Landorus-T and OHKO it if it has a Dragon Dance set up. I don't care too much about the loss of power from running a Jolly nature and non-max Attack EVs, it still gets the KOs it needs to.

Smogon Shark (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake

I'm surprised this set isn't standard for lead chomp(Well, maybe with a sash over LO). This is a phenomenal lure for bulky steels and physical walls. Sure, Fire Blast is expected when facing a lead garchomp, but it fails to OHKO Ferrothorn and Skarmory after rocks without a life orb. Both of those are massive annoyances otherwise, and it is extremely handy to have a great lure for them. "But you have two fires that OHKO each of them!" Often I'd just like to KO them without taking ridiculous amounts of recoil from Iron Barbs and Rocky Helmet. Plus, Skarm and Ferro actually switch in to this thing.

Importable:
Smogon Bird (Talonflame) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- U-turn

Other Smogon Bird (Staraptor) @ Choice Scarf
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Close Combat
- Double-Edge
- Pursuit

Smogon Bird Spam (Hawlucha) @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant Nature
IVs: 30 HP
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute
- Swords Dance

Smogon defogger (Latios) (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 152 Atk / 104 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Defog

Smogon Dragon (Charizard) @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 152 HP / 168 Atk / 4 SpD / 184 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

Smogon Shark (Garchomp) @ Life Orb
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
Comments and stuff are welcome, thanks for reading and rating.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Hi there AnybodyAgrees, this is a really cool offensive bird spam team. It handles a lot of threats nicely, but due to having 3 Dragon-types and 3 Flying-types, your team is naturally gonna have some weaknesses. Some of the pokes that stand out in particular as problems are bulky Water-types like Slowbro and Suicune, Azumarill, Rhyperior and Skarmory. A Pokemon that's perfectly fitted for the role as a glue Pokemon is Mega Venusaur. Offensive Mega Venusaur is a great switch-in to most of the pokes that trouble your offensive core, as well as being a troublesome poke to take on for most offensive and balanced teams. For these reasons, I urge you to try Offensive Mega Venusaur over Mega Charizard X. Next up, your team is very weak to consistent SR setters. Seeing as how Latias has much better bulk than its brother, and access to Healing Wish, I think it would be a better choice. You can still run Earthquake, and even though it doesn't OHKO Heatran, it's still a great lure because noone expects it. Thus, I think trying Latias over Latios would be beneficial. If you choose to go with Roost over Healing Wish, you get a great switch-in to Keldeo, Mega Charizard Y and Heatran. My last suggestions are optimizing your sets. Staraptor likes either Final Gambit or U-Turn over Pursuit, to gain momentum or to sacrifice itself to take down a troublesome Pokemon on the opposing team. Hawlucha generally runs a Jolly Nature to outspeed the base 108s and 110s, which allows you to sub down and gain the Unburden boost. I sughest that you try an EV spread of 44 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 200 Spe with a Jolly nature on Hawlucha. Well, that is all I had, hope I helped you with your team.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SpA / 24 Spe
Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fire
- Synthesis

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake / Surf
- Roost / Healing Wish

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- Final Gambit / U-Turn

Hawlucha @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 200 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- High Jump Kick
- Substitute

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)