ORAS UU UU Team Advice, Please?

I've been playing on Showdown on and off, and I've enjoyed using this team. However, I think there are improvements that can be made to this team as there are parts that I believe this team is missing. Speaking of the team, this is it:

William (Sceptile) (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Energy Ball
- Focus Blast

Sceptile is built as a Special Sweeper while taking advantage of the speed reduction from Sticky Web to guarantee that Sceptile outspeeds most of the opposition. Sceptile has a Timid nature as well and is set up with 252 in both Sp. Attack in speed and the rest in Sp. Defense as well to deal as much damage as possible in late game situations when the major threats to Sceptile after it Mega Evolves are gone. Sceptile has Leaf Storm for a hard hitting STAB that can deal with Special Walls like Milotic and Suicune as well as deal with Sweepers that have been slowed down by Sticky Web, Dragon Pulse for a hard hitting STAB from the Dragon typing obtained after Mega Evolution, Focus Blast for Steel types like Cobalion and Empoleon, Dark types like Umbreon and Krookodile, and can chip away at Normal types like Porygon2, and finally Energy Ball for a more consistent form of damage without the reduction to Sp. Attack. When Mega Evolved, Sceptile also becomes immune to Electric thanks to Lightning Rod where it becomes a safer switch in to Electric moves while buffing Sp. Attack as well.

Cairo (Lucario) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat

Lucario is built as set up sweeper with a Focus Sash as well so it can either set up on a safe switch in or come in and do some damage to a major threat. This is a physical variant with Swords Dance as the main set up move to increase the damage of every other attack in the moveset. The second move is Bullet Punch and is meant to be a priority STAB that can deal super effective damage to Mega Aerodactyl and Fairy types like Sylveon and Florges. Ice Punch was added as a utility for Pokemon like Hydreigon, Mega Aerodactyl(if at full health), Salamence(when it was in UU), and Celebi while dealing with checks that would force Lucario. Close Combat is used as a reliable STAB that deals massive damage when set up while giving a more powerful STAB. Lucario has an Adamant nature with 252 in both Attack and Speed with the remainder in Sp. Defense as a way to maximize the damage output while giving Lucario a chance to outspeed some Pokemon without Sticky Web and benefiting greatly when Sticky Web is down. The ability is Justified in the off chance that I switch into a Knock Off so I can increase the damage output of Ice Punch, Bullet Punch, and Close Combat.

Iwata (Suicune) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Ice Beam

Suicune is set up with a Bold nature, 252 in Health, 112 in Defense, and 144 in Speed to act as more of a Defensive Pokemon with Substitute to give Suicune as chance to set up Calm Mind or to give a distraction where I can set up or attack. Calm Mind is there to increase the already great Sp. Defense and Sp. Attack to a point where Suicune can sweep with both Scald and Ice Beam. Scald is there as the STAB and is there as well due to the chance to burn the opponent, which cripples any Physical Attacker that doesn't have Guts while giving residual damage to Special Attackers. Ice Beam is meant to deal with Grass types and Dragon types that normally wall Suicune, as well as give a chance to freeze which gives me more turns to set up or deal more damage with either Ice Beam or Scald depending on if I wanted the opponent thawed out or not. Ice Beam also serves as an answer to Mega Aerodactyl if needed. Suicune also has Leftovers as its only form of health recovery, which can be enough to avoid being knocked out and retaliating with an attack that finishes the job with Pressure adding to the ability to be defensive.

Sacred (Entei) @ Choice Band
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Entei is Adamant with max Attack and Speed with the remainder in Defense. It has a Choice Band, so the EVs and nature are meant to give Entei as much Speed as possible if I lock myself into anything that isn't Extreme Speed, which gives more importance to Sticky Web. Anyhow, Extreme Speed is meant to be a safe, hard hitting option that has priority when there isn't anything that resists it like a Steel type or a Ghost type that makes the move ineffective. Stone Edge is meant to act as a counter to other Fire types and is a good option for Mega Aerodactyl if the opponent swaps into it. Iron Head is meant to act as a more reliable option when I'm not willing to risk missing a move or when Extreme Speed is unusable that also gives coverage with Fairy types and Aerodactyl with an added benefit of a chance to flinch, which can be what decides the match. Finally, Sacred Fire is the STAB of choice as it has 100 base power with a 50% chance to burn the target. The only drawback is the 95% accuracy, which can still miss. I prefer this over Flare Blitz as I'm not the biggest fan of recoil on a Choice'd Pokemon and I want them around as long as possible to deal damage to the opponent's team. The only option here is Pressure, which adds to limiting the usage of moves when attacking Entei, but isn't as beneficial as it is on Suicune.

Venom (Galvantula) (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Energy Ball
- Bug Buzz
- Thunder

Galvantula is primarily set up to act as the Sticky Web setter and is more of a suicide lead and has done its job for the most part after setting up Sticky Web or taking a Pokemon or two down if need be. Energy Ball is there for Ground types, Rock types, and the Swamperts out there. Thunder is here over Volt Switch as I wanted Galvantula to do as much damage as possible before going down and is a strong STAB that is benefitted by Compound Eyes. Bug Buzz is there for a srong STAB and can deal damage to Grass, Psychic, and Dark types the opponent leads with. The EVs, 252 Speed and 252 Sp. Attack with the rest in Sp. Defense and Timid nature are set up to allow for Galvantula to outspeed and do as much damage as possible and/or set up Sticky Web thanks to the Focus Sash

Titanium (Aggron) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Finally, there's Aggron, who's been built with an Impish nature with 252 in Health, 16 in Defense, and the remaining 240 in Sp. Defense. This is done so Aggron can take hit better than it could without the investments so it has more chances to do more before becoming more of a sacrifice. Aggron has both Toxic and Stealth Rock to badly poison many targets to add damage to them while setting up hazards that add more damage while increasing the likelihood of OHKOing after Stealth Rock damage and Toxic damage. Aggron also has Heavy Slam and Earthquake as offensive options as well if I can't Toxic the opponent or if Rocks have already been set up. Heavy Slam is the STAB of choice as Aggron tends to deal with opponents that take more damage from Heavy Slam and the added damage is just as beneficial as the KO. For opponents just as heavy or heavier, Earthquake is there as a more reliable option for Aggron to deal damage that can also give a form of utility as there are still Pokemon that are weak to the move like Electric types, Fire types, and Poison types. I chose Sturdy as the ability to always do something is important to this Aggron being more defensive, and Leftovers is also the only form of recovery and can occasionally be enough to get back to full health if the opponent makes a mistake.

The primary goal was to build around Sceptile while providing options for multiple contingencies and I was hoping to find ways to improve the team overall before going out for the higher places on the ladder.

Edit: The EV Spread on Suicune accidentally said Attack instead of Defense. Also, sorry about the rush.

Last edited:

sniperr

Pineapples don't belong on pizza
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey man! Came across this RMT and decided to help you out. I've noticed several glaring issues from analyzing your team. Though there is no need to worry, as any team has potential to grow.

Issues with the team:
  • The sets on your pokemon are not optimal.
  • The move sets aren't really viable with this team
  • You are very weak to the top mons in UU such as: Conkeldurr, Celebi, Hydreigon
  • No hazard control and no stealth rocker
Let's begin, now I have noticed that your team is a balanced one, so i will do my best to keep it that way. Starting with the first pokemon Lucario, I've noticed its holding a focus sash. Lucarios best item is undoubtfully the life orb. However I want to replace him for another fighting type named Conkeldurr. Conkeldurr is one of the best fighting mon in UU, and I feel as though a bulk up Specially defensive set would give you alot more mileage in the current meta. Conks insane special bulk allows you to switch very comfortable while still having the option of setting up and sweeping. I suggest running a 240hp 16atk 252 Specially defensive set careful nature (Adamant is also an option). Set includes: Bulk up, Knock off, Mach punch, Drain punch. Another powerful move set I believe can work is choice band Conkeldurr. If you further want to wall break and due hefty damagae to switchins like sylveon, this is the way to go. A simple 252atk 252 speed adamant nature conkeldurr with the choice band. Moves inude: Hammer arm, Mach punch, Knock off, Thunder Punch/Poison jab/Ice punch with the sheer force or guts ability though iron fist is preferred (if you fear status).

Next I would like to fix this Suicune set. Seeing as you do not have any solid fire resists, I'm going to suggest a 232hp 252def 24 speed set. Moves include: Calm mind, Scald, Rest, Roar/Sleeptalk. The speed is for opposing suicunes and neutral base 85 pokemon to be outsped. The speed also allows you to beat other univested calm mind roar suicunes.
Sceptiles set should consist of the following: Leaf storm, Giga drain, Protect, Dragon pulse (Protect allows to you to beat bounce Gyarados). A 252 speed and special attack are reccomended with Modest/Timid nature. Regular Sceptile is not very good, so this will be your mega

I want to now incorporate a ground type with stealth rock that defensive. My first thought was Gligar. Gligar equiped with the eviolite makes it ones of the hardest pokemon to kill in the tier. It's also a solid fighting and electric check which synergizes well with Suicune. I suggest running a specially defensive set. 248 hp 240 spd 20 speed. Move set includes: Stealth rock, Earthquake, Roost, U-turn/Toxic. This pokemon and take life orb Draco metors, Overheats from choice specs Rotom Heat, and even a choice specs surf from heliolisk comfortably which eases pressure off the next pokemon I will suggest.
Sylveon, the best fairy type and cleric in UU. Usually on balanced teams clerics are a must to ensure the longevity of your team (though not always required). At this point I think entei is safe to go as I Do not see it fitting here anymore with these edits. Sylveons standard cleric set is: 240hp 252 def 12spd 4 spd. Move set: Hyper Voice, Wish, Protect, Heal bell with the pixelate ability. The 240 evs is a leftovers number so you take less from burns the 12 evs are dumped into spD and the 4 Speed is for opposing Sylveons

last but not least a defogger or spinner is nicely appreciated. The one i believe fits well here is Empoleon. Empoleon helps check fairies such as sylveon, and synergizes very well with gligar forming another sturdy core. Noticing a bit of a Celebi weakness, I'd like to suggest This set: 212hp 252spatk 44 speed with the moves: Signal beam, Defog, Scald, Flash cannon/Ice beam/Grass knot with the item shuca berry. The 44 speed allows you to outspeed pokemon up to base 65. The mons include swampert, dragagle, and a few more. Signal beam is for luring Celebi, and Flash cannon is for pressuring Sylveon out. This is pretty much getting rid of galvantula as it serves no more purpose on this team with adding a defogger

In closing, I hope you find my edits useful. If you have any comments or concearns, let me know. Good luck!

Import:
http://pastebin.com/2BkppbpW

I've decided to make an alternate version of this team with an hp electric empoleon over signal beam, and Mega Aerodactly with pursuit over Mega Sceptile. The concept of dealting with Celebi here is U-turning out with gligar on the switch, then trapping with Aerodactly. Hp electric is for Gyarados, but you can put signal beam back if needed.

Import 2:

Last edited:
Thank you for the advice as I felt like I was going to run into a lot of issues in the higher placements in the ladder. I'll make a point to adjust with and have it at the ready.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)