Project USUM UU Research Week v2 (On a break)

USMRW13 Redx

Mega Houndoom

Tier: RUBL, UUVR: B
Houndoom-Mega @ Houndoominite
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Aesthetically, I love this mon. Even though the current meta has many potent Megas to choose from and Hydreigon is a tier stalwart, I was curious to see if Doomer was worth using. Doomer's strengths lie in its 140 Special Attack backed by its above average base 115 Speed, rounding off with a uniquely niche typing and access to Nasty Plot. This anti-meta combination makes it a nightmare to switch into not only for defensive teams, especially after a Nasty Plot, but offensive teams that often struggle to stomach repeated unboosted attacks over the course of a match. I'll briefly touch on its role against both archetypes.

VS Offense
Doomer's wallbreaking power is well known, but it's gotten a bad rap in the past from its potential inconsistency vs offensive teams. However since the meta has settled, it's kinda nice atm. While base 115 speed is rather low compared to other Megas like Aero, Beedrill and Pidgeot, it remains a valuable benchmark against UU's offense staples, namely Latias, Gengar and Cobalion, while its typing halts priority packers such as Scizor and Bisharp and neuters Prankster Klefki. Doomer packs Sludge Bomb for slower Fairies switchins like Primarina and DD MAlt, which are 2HKO'd by Fire Blast into Sludge Bomb after some chip or a high roll, and even common scarfers and mons that resist Doomer's dual-STAB don't take an unboosted Fire Blast well, providing invaluable chip for teammates to clean up later:

Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Hydreigon: 103-122 (31.6 - 37.5%)

Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Infernape: 126-148 (43 - 50.5%) -- 96.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 104-123 (32.1 - 38%)

Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kommo-o: 91-108 (31.1 - 36.9%)

Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Aerodactyl-Mega: 99-117 (32.8 - 38.8%) -- 10.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Fire Blast + Sludge Bomb vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Primarina: 84-99 (25.9 - 30.5%), 182-216 (56.1 - 66.6%)

Fire Blast + Sludge Bomb vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Altaria-Mega: 91-108 (29.4 - 34.9%), 200-236 (64.7 - 76.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

VS Balance/Stall
As good as it was against fatter teams before, Doomer got even better IMO. In addition to the walls it could break before, current defensive backbones are comprised of mons that didn't have the usage or weren't even in the tier six months ago: Mega Aggron, Doublade, Gligar, Chesnaught, Amoonguss and a slew of bulky Psychics...all of which Doomer shreds in combination with a bulky pivot.

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb

Scizor @ Buginium-Z
Ability: Technician
EVs: 244 HP / 16 Atk / 148 Def / 96 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Celebi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Natural Cure
40 HP / 228 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Psychic

Empoleon @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Toxic

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power Fire
- Roost

Doomer pairs well with Bulky SD Scizor. Scizor best combats the rise of DD MAlt as well as takes care of MAero, Terrak and Krook. Meanwhile Doomer roasts Steel-types and lures and chips things like Hydreigon, Kommo-o, Rotom-H and Infernape so Scizor can clean late game. Gligar gives the team a reliable Fighting resist and Ground immunity, Defog and a slow U-turn to bring in Doomer safely. I found U-turn Celebi is a fantastic partner for Doomer as it both bops many of the bulky Waters Doomer struggles to break and lures in Steel and Psychic-types for Doomer to abuse. This Bi happens to be Scarf; while pretty weak, it gives the team speed control and also allows a few surprise KO's on Hydreigon, Krook, MBeedrill and weakened MAero and even revenges both +1 Kommo-o and +1 MAlt (the latter in tandem w/ Scizor), all of which Doomer appreciates. Iapapa Berry Empoleon is the Rocker and covers the team's glaring Primarina weakness with more longevity than Leftovers variants. Finally, LO Latias is the glue mon for switching into MMane and Rotom-H, luring bulky Waters and packing Psyshock and HP Fire for the Blob and Scizor, respectively.

It's tempting to try Taunt, Flame Charge or even Sunny Day + Solarbeam to utilize Solar Power but Sludge Bomb is mandatory to break Fairies and fulfill its niche, especially since it avoids gifting MAlt free setup (which can present mind games anyway if it has yet to mega evolve.) Hydreigon is a better Taunt user anyway. Speaking of Drei, which generally overshadows Doomer in UU, as a pure wallbreaker it's much less reliable in my testing than Doomer since Specs variants are Choice-locked and can be exploited and the only set that can reliably break Fairies is Z-Belch, which is suboptimal compared to traditional Darkium and Dragonium variants.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-877155734 Textbook of what Doomer is capable of vs offense: breaking Fairies and Rotom-H, chipping Hydreigon into range of Scizor's BP (shoulda Fire Blasted turn 3, woulda secured the end game for Scizor but I was having some rotten luck before and didn't wanna miss lol)

Doomer's biggest drawbacks are its Stealth Rock weakness and its subpar bulk so teammates capable of hazard removal, tanking priority moves and pivoting are a necessity, but the biggest surprise I found when testing it was how easy it was to use. It usually wasn't deadweight based on matchup, wasn't overly reliant on predictions or requiring so much support that it wasn't worth using. It was just...solid. Now Doomer does compete for a role with Hydreigon who is infinitely more versatile, isn't as weak to hazards and doesn't require a Mega slot, but Doomer definitely has merit on the right team. 3/5

Edit: slowly adding quality replays, kinda running out of time to ladder tho. I also briefly tested webs with Doomer, but with the exception of Scarf Krook and MSceptile, most of its faster checks aren't affected by webs anyway.

Last edited:
Pretty late post this time, mainly 'cause I didn't have much time during the week to actually play, & I didn't appreciate any of the picks. I'll only talk in details about Houndoom-Mega though, mainly 'cause I don't have much to say about Gligar and Latias (also that means a shorter post and a higher probability of getting it done before the deadline). Btw I somehow managed to 1511 ELO this week, but I honestly fail to understand how I got here (a ton of memes probably). Anyway let's get started.

Houndoom-Mega

I honestly still don't know what to think of it. It definitely has potential, but it never got to shine while I was playing it.
First of all, I'll admit that it definitely packs a great punch. Base 140 SpA coupled with an access to Nasty Plot and a powerful STAB combination makes it a ridiculously scary wallbreaker that preys upon Steel+Fairy defensive cores, and has access to Sludge Bomb to nail the two fairies that actually resist its two STABs, Primarina and Altaria-Mega.
Second, its Fire/Dark typing and base 115 Spe allows it to soft check a handful of 'mons in the tier (whether it's switching in on them or revenge killing them even if they're at full health), namely Scizor, Latias, Cobalion, Celebi, Amoonguss, Bisharp, Doublade, Gengar (if it doesn't have a sub up, else rip) and Klefki.
And ... That's about all the positives I can think of. So let's get to the negatives now.
Even with the list I made before, Houndoom's typing is atrocious defensively, meaning it struggles a lot at coming into the field on its own. This is particularly shown when you take into account its average 75/90/90 bulk that makes taking any kind of hit almost impossible (except resisted ones, but even then it can quickly stack up considering Houndoom's weakness to all entry hazards and lack of recovery). That also means that finding opportunities to actually setup a Nasty Plot can be extremely complicated at times, especially if your opponent is perfectly aware of how dangerous Houndoom is to its team.
Another big problem is ... there are several good 'mons in the current metagame that just so happen to naturally be at the very least soft checks to Houndoom-Mega, like Kommo-o, Nihilego, Terrakion, Diancie, Hydreigon, Altaria-Mega/Primarina (for non-Sludge Bomb variants of Doomer) or AV Mienshao. Oh, and it doesn't appreciate Krook being the n°1 Scarfer atm, nor does it like Manectric-Mega and Aerodactyl-Mega still being solid picks in the metagame.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-875716917 - Houndoom manages to find an opportunity to switch in on a weakened Hippowdon and pretty much cleans from there.

Psychium Z Latias
Latias @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Roost
It was ... a subpar Dragonium Z overall. I probably feel like this because I used a Dragonium set and just replaced the Z crystal, but Draco Meteor is just too good at covering the various Dark-types of the tier that it would be dumb to not use it. Yeah, Ice Beam/Thunderbolt are decent coverage options as well, but they don't pack the same punch. Honestly, the only thing I can say about it (except that Dragonium hits almost everything but harder) is that it helps at dealing with the offensive fairy-types of the tier, Altaria-Mega and Primarina, as specs Primarina and Altaria-Mega (all variants) are OHKO'd by +1 Shattered Psyche. But that's honestly the only relevant stuff about it.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-877670217 - one example of Shattered Psyche allowing me to break Specs Primarina on the spot instead of having to chip it down.

tl;dr
  • Houndoom-Mega is not bad by any means, but the metagame is basically a double-edged sword for it right now. There are trends going both for and against it, putting it in a pretty awkward place. Not a 'mon I liked playing, but I can't deny its potential.
  • Psychium Latias can hit a few relevant targets that Dragonium can't hit, but it's overall worse than Z-Draco Meteor.
  • Curse Gligar is a nice tech on the support set, but the utility of Toxic/Knock Off/U-Turn are usually more preferable, unless you're that weak to SD+Roost Scizor, SD Terrakion or Curse Steelix-Mega.

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
i've had a fairly busy week so not been able to get many games in, but I'll do a brief summary of my feelings on houndoom since I have played some games with him this week. No replays or teams provided this time unfortunately though.

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Nasty Plot
- Sludge Bomb / Taunt
- Dark Pulse

In my opinion, sludge bomb is a far better choice than taunt here, as the fairly weak bulk and needing to have decent hp to avoid being revenge killed by scizor makes it difficult to tank a lot of things attacks unless you are resistant to them. Sludge bomb is also much more useful for fairies (especially primarina/altaria which resist it's fire stab) and hydreigon, as the named 2 resist both stabs, while against other fairies it gives you a less risky move since it's not accuracy dependent. It is a guaranteed ohko at +2 against all primarina sets, but unfortunately only a 2hko against hydreigon, which means its still best only used for chip damage when expecting it to come in, since scarf hydreigon can hit for 77-91% with draco, or z-sets / specs sets can ohko.

Houndoom is a cool set up mon, but unfortunately it kind of faces a lot of competition from infernape, which can also nasty plot up but has access to z-moves, priority, and grass coverage, and doesn't take up a mega-slot, allowing it to be paired with "better" mega's. Houndoom does have one notable advantage however, in that it is faster than latias and can kill it with dark pulse.

Houndoom also has a problem with terrakion, which resists both of it's stabs and sludge bomb, and can attempt to get justified boosts off dark pulses, which infernape has a much better matchup against.

The same can also be said of other nasty plotters like celebi and lucario too, especially the former with it's wide range of potential z-moves, and much better bulk.

In essence, it's speed is the main thing it has going for it over other nasty plotters, since while it has a higher base spA too, not being able to carry items essentially balances this out. Unfortunately it's speed is also a little irritating however, since it's still slower than mega's like aero, manectric, pidgeot etc, and it's weakness to fighting and water priority (lucario/infernape/crawdaunt) coupled with its frailty makes it fairly easy to revenge kill. It's so frail infact, that it needs to be careful of being chipped so that it can even tank a bullet punch from scizor, since offensive sets can do quite large damage to it,

252+ Atk Choice Band Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Houndoom-Mega: 88-104 (30.2 - 35.7%) -- 34.7% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Houndoom-Mega: 77-90 (26.4 - 30.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

which means it can often struggle to find opportunities to set up while still keeping it's checks in order.

Main problems with houndoom for me:

Diancie: Resists all 3 moves, ohkos back with a diamond storm.
Hydreigon: Explained above, resists stabs and sludge bomb doesn't do enough, and cant stay in on a draco if it wants to stay healthy.
Faster Mons (Scarf krook, aero, beedrill, etc): Frail so even coverage moves like earthquake / drill run fro maero/beedrill are more then enough to kill. Aero is especially a problem especially if sandstorm is up because it can actually happily swap in unlike the other 2 without fear of being chipped heavily.
Fighting/Water Priority: Explained above, but with popularity of nasty plot infernape undoubtly a problem.
Terrakion: Resists all 3 moves, threatens justified boosts constantly.

Unlike daiyaga however, I don't feel kommo and nihilego are such big deals as the above mons however as kommo doesn't particularly enjoy facetanking fire blasts multiple times a game especially when taking into account all the life orb chip, and a dark pulse causes nice chip on nihilego that a pursuit trapper can take advantage of. Obviously they are still problems in stopping houndooms sweeps however!

In general I just found it quite hard to actually use for a sweep with how common these problems are however, and definitely massive prefer infernape as a nasty plotter in general

A late post by me. I'll just add a little more to the discussion.
Super Fang is one of the viable options for MegaDog IMO. Super Fang + Priority users like Mamoswine does well against Dog's checks such as Kommo-O, Hydreigon and Sylveon, without boost(s) on Dog. This allows Dog to be an early wall-breaker on HO, especially on Twilight's web + priority spams.

While using this team, I rarely finds opportunity for Dog to sweep because of common threats like Mega-Aero, Kommo-O, Ape... Using Dog to break walls early for other sweepers feels easier in most MUs. Another thing that puts Dog at a disadvantage is that Solar Power is not useful in a non-Sun meta. Furthermore, Dog loses Flash Fire when mega-evolving and also loses the FF boost, decreasing its usefulness.

Rate: 3/5

Replay:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7uu-876449379

Last edited:
I tried Mega Houndoom and Psychium Z Latias this week and both were decent, if easily replaceable by a more metagame suited picks.

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

Latias @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Roost

Azelf @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Flamethrower
- Explosion

Araquanid @ Splash Plate
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sticky Web
- Liquidation
- Mirror Coat
- Magic Coat

Virizion @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Close Combat
- Leaf Blade
- Stone Edge

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Superpower

Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb
- Nasty Plot

Latias @ Psychium Z
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Ice Beam
- Psyshock
- Recover

Scizor @ Choice Band
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spe
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower

Rotom-Heat @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 16 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Overheat
- Defog
- Will-O-Wisp

Primarina @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA / 24 Spe
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

I used both on 2 different teams. Webs were definitely a boon for Houndoom, as its middling (yeah...) Speed is easily fixed with webs. Araquanid is also an amazing setter that should be used more. I also tried both without webs and Mega Houndoom struggled quite a bit since it doesn't have anything to hit Hydreigon other than sludge bomb, and its too weak to hit Latias without NP boost, which it struggled immensely to get without webs being up. Honestly, mega Houndoom is a decent (it needs Fire Blast, but that accuracy really fucked it over) wallbreaker, but there's so much better special wallbreaker in the meta that requires far less support to work. 3/5

I will echo other posters here that Psychium-Z Latias is just a worse Dragonium-Z. Did it work? Of course it's a Latias. I don't see the point of using this Z crystal when Latias' psychic coverage are usually reserved for nuking Blissey with Psyshock anyway (most psychic targets are dealt with Devastating Drake too). 3.5/5.

alright only just now hopping back onto ps! and smogon a bit more frequently and stuff, not an enormous post but some of my thoughts, replays or memes after if i can be bothered, anyways onto the mon

usmrw13 husky got to like mid 1400s peaking low 1500 but i couldnt go further bc noy too much time on my hands this week

Gligar @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 156 Def / 104 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Defog
- Roost

evs: enough to avoid 2hko from cb terrak after rocks
rest in spd

im a big advocate for curse glig and have been using it to moderate success, esp on bulkier balances or stalls where uturn isnt needed, the idea of this is to be able to stay afloat against setup sweepers, and it does a v good job of it, but some general pointers then i’ll get onto the relevant mons:

loss of uturn: on offense this is a big deal as u dont wanna be stuck on this as a breaker comes in and lose momentum, as even with the spd investment its not built to take too many spatks, so its kinda a momentum sink
mono atk: while eq usually does the job and u wont be clicking it that much, it becomes a HUGE issue when its ur main phys wall and u come across phys flyings, obv the big one is maero but talonbirb and crobat can be problematic so ye u kinda gotta watch for that
burn: while not too problematic, the chip it gives can be an issue sometimes
eviolite: fucken avoid knock off ay that shits annoying as all hell
crits: because of gligs low raw atk stat, it required many curses for it to 2hko or ohko the phys mons that setup on it, giving them more chances to crit as u roost

relevant mons:
sciz:
- cb: not much issue, only thing it can rly do is uturn or if it has knock it knocks u but ur pre free to roost if they do, worst case they pivot into another breaker
- sd: kinda low danger again, but if its bulky sd and u curse/roost for hp, each bp is a gamble for a crit and all too often u get crit and instalose, run the calcs and play accordingly bc one unlucky rng roll and ur fucked
terrak:
- cb: pre easy, unless they doublin in and out as long as u keep it healthy u good
- sd: rockium is an issue bc it 100% kills after rocks at +2 and does like 65-75 without z anyway so this is an issue even if u bait out the z

coba:
- double dance: very nice matchup, at +2 iron head does 30-36 so ull be ok barring 3 flinches but yknow fuck hax, zsteel does 61-72 tho so be aware
- sd taunt: fuck this set noone uses it and if u do u should be deleted but it does beat glig ig

malt:
- dd: good matchup again, dont get crit

krook: knock

electrics:
- manec: hp ice fucken dont get hit by that
- heattom: while yes it does wall this, if it has wisp its annoying, and tbh its kinda a staring contest bc u both wall eachother
- zera: hp ice and knock are annoying, but if its knocj its most likely full phys so it wont be able to touch u

bish
- sd: v bad bc the best u can do to it is hit it once bc if it knocks u u cant live another even if u curse, bc no eviolite duh so all u can do is eq it once

final summary, tldr, w/e
- excellent defogger against bulky rockers: steels, hippo, v reliable bc immunity
- nice blanket check to most phys atkers
- best on bulky shit, not offense, use uturn for offense

soz no replays but like imagine a sciz critting a +4 glig and me raging

thanks for reading u nerds

Last edited:
With this, Week 13 comes to an end. Congratulations to Daiyaga for winning this week. Now, let's get to it.

Mega Houndoom

Mega Houndoom was without a doubt the most used Pokemon this week and 6 players tryed with it. While most of them agreed with the fact that Mega Houndoom is a decent threat, Twilight, Daiyaga, Estarossa, bukemon123 and Lazadamn pointed out that Mega Houndoom struggle to deal with offensive threats and can be checked by common threats such as Hydreigon, Choice Scarf Krookodile, Kommo-o, Nihilego, Mega Aerodactyl, Diancie or Terrakion. However, Estarossa disagreed on some of this Pokemon and said that Pokemon like Nihilego or Kommo-o don't like to take in the long run Mega Houndoom's STABs. While Daiyaga, Estarossa and RedxThree agreed that Sludge Bomb was the best filler for Mega Houndoom since it allows it to pressure Fairy-types such as Primarina and get some neutral hits on Hydreigon, Twilight said that Taunt was a really nice option which could bother defensive answers to Mega Houndoom while bukemon123 talked about Hyper Fang which allows Mega Houndoom to weaken some threats for its teammates in the endgame. Twilight and RedxThree also said that even if Mega Houndoom's speed isn't the best, it allows it to pressure common threats such as Latias, Gengar or Cobalion. Twilight and Lazadamn also agreed that Sticky Web was a great support for Mega Houndoom. Last but not least Estarossa conclued that Mega Houndoom was an interesting pick even if there was some better Nasty Plot wallbreaker such as Infernape.

Psychium Z Latias

Twilight, Lazadamn and Daiyaga were the players who tested Psychium Z Latias this week and they all agreed on one point : Psychium Z Latias is most of the time a worst and weaker Dragonium Z. Even if Lazadamn pointed out the fact that Z-Psychock may be an interesting pick since it allows Latias to break Blissey but also physical wall with Shattered Psyche, it also said like Twilight and Daiyaga that Dragonium Z was a better option since it allows Latias to have a good neutral Z-Move which can blown away a lot of Pokemon in the tier. Twilight also highlighted the fact that even if Psychic provides a better Z-Move, it also prevent Latias to pressure Blissey effectively. Overall, players claimed that Dragonium Z or Electrium Z were better options for Latias.

Curse Gligar

Gligar has been the less tested Pokemon this week with 2 players who tried it. While PapaBisexual pointed out the fact that Curse was a nice option for Gligar since it allows it to check effectively some physical threats such as SD Cobalion, SD Scizor, SD Terrakion or Dragon Dance Mega Altaria, Daiyaga found that filler mediocre since Gligar would most of the time prefer other fillers such as Toxic, Knock Off or U-turn. However Daiyaga agreed that Curse may be nice vs some specifics threats like SD Roost Scizor, SD Terrakion or Curse Mega Steelix.

That concludes our findings !
Since Darksafadao stepped down from the project and that UUPL is coming, Research Week will be on break till the end of the tournament. Thanks to all those who have been invested in this project, see ya in a couple of months !

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)