Unpopular opinions

I'm definitely one of the biggest fans of Sinnoh. To be fair, there wasn't NEARLY as much water as in the other gens in my opinion so I never really noticed the slow surfing speed (add that with the fact that most areas you want to get to can easily be flown to without traversing the water again). Looking back, the worst part in my opinion was how long it would take to save on the DS. Both Gen IV and V had that problem and even when I played them on a Flash Cart (because I wanted to Nuzlocke without restarting anything) it would save ridiculously fast there so I had know idea it would take so long on the cartridge.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
1.) A lot anti-hentai people I come across. Some are always antagonizing the sexualization of Pokemon. I'll admit, some can be creepy, but people should be allowed to express their... affinities... if they want to. We shouldn't try to have any say in it. You want to draw Gardy with boobs, go for it. Nothing wrong with it.

2.) Gen 4 is admittedly my first generation, but I can't stand it when I hear all of these "it was too slow" stories. It never felt slow. There's a gap in the gyms, sure, but they filled it in Platinum. The snow routes? Yes, they are long, but not slow. They're a test of your progress. Like a pre-victory road. The Great Marsh sucked though.
Sinnoh: 7.8/10 Too Slow

3.) I never liked Moves like Calm Mind and Bulk Up. They only boost it by one stage, so you'd have to at least wait two turns until you're at 2 stages, where there is a more significant difference. Swords Dance or Rock Polish are more effective to me because they can boost you significantly in only one turn. I understand that some Pokemon don't get access to stuff like Swords Dance, so they only have moves like Calm Mind for options. But I just don't really like using these kinds of moves. Cosmic Power is an exception.

4.) Garbodor has a good design. It represents the concept of land pollution exceptionally well, and its ugliness reflects how pollution is making the land less pretty. He's got one of the best Poison type designs in my opinion because of this.

5.) Shut up about the Fire/Fighting thing. It's a good typing, with amazing STAB coverage. You are no longer open to Stealth Rocks, and you get access to some powerful moves. Complaining about a type being recurring is just about as stupid as complaining that all of the Grass type designs are only reptiles.

6.) Unova is too linear? True. But does it really matter? I don't care if it's linear, the gameplay is still good.
1.) I have no problem with people having "fun" with Pokemon (oh Gardevoir) or even the adult female characters... BUT I do have problem if they do it to the kid characters. Yes, we know May has a big bust for her age and Dawn's skirt is cut way too short. But they're also TEN and shouldn't really be sexualized.

2.) I'll admit I don't remember much about Gen IV's pacing. I think I remember getting a bit lost due to there being split directions sometimes (Mt. Coronet was a bit too big for its own good), but I managed to get my way through.

3.) CM and BU has their uses for Pokemon who are oriented in a certain style. CM are for Special oriented Pokemon while BU is for Physical. Sure they only raise two stats by 1 stage, but against ideal condition the small increase in damage (meaning it isn't hitting as hard if it got a +2) is balanced by the small increase in defense (making it last longer). It all depends on the Pokemon being used (in both sense of its stat spread and what the Pokemon has available to it).

4.) I think its a fine design, though there's one thing that always confused me about it. The arms have pipe-like structures to it (the right arm has the pipes form fingers while the left arm is pretty much just a pipe). Where did the pipes come from? Are they suppose to be like lead pipes?

5.) As Xen said, it's not the typing but for 3 gens straight the Fire starter was Fire/Fighting. It's a good type, but I like to have variation to see what new designs they could come up with.

6.) Though linear, each area did give the player space to explore.

3.) I never liked Moves like Calm Mind and Bulk Up. They only boost it by one stage, so you'd have to at least wait two turns until you're at 2 stages, where there is a more significant difference. Swords Dance or Rock Polish are more effective to me because they can boost you significantly in only one turn. I understand that some Pokemon don't get access to stuff like Swords Dance, so they only have moves like Calm Mind for options. But I just don't really like using these kinds of moves. Cosmic Power is an exception.

5.) Shut up about the Fire/Fighting thing. It's a good typing, with amazing STAB coverage. You are no longer open to Stealth Rocks, and you get access to some powerful moves. Complaining about a type being recurring is just about as stupid as complaining that all of the Grass type designs are only reptiles.
3.) Calm Mind and Bulk Up are usually meant for tanks and bulky/slow sweepers, not glass cannons.

5.) I totally agree regarding Fire/Fighting and the comparison between only Grass reptiles. The complaints are annoying as hell.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the slow saving speeds of Gen IV and Gen V. Never noticed how slow Diamond was though, at least until I played it more to gather all the Legendaries to transfer.

2.) Gen 4 is admittedly my first generation, but I can't stand it when I hear all of these "it was too slow" stories. It never felt slow. There's a gap in the gyms, sure, but they filled it in Platinum. The snow routes? Yes, they are long, but not slow. They're a test of your progress. Like a pre-victory road. The Great Marsh sucked though.
Sinnoh: 7.8/10 Too Slow
Gen IV was also my first generation that I actually played. At the time, it didn't feel slow since I had nothing else to compare it too. But in comparison to faster pace of the animations and walking speeds, Gen IV just feels like I'm stuck in snow (which DID happen in those games).

1 Nothing wrong with a fixation on a character from fiction...but they went freaky veeeeeery fast. And this is coming from a xenofiction enthusiast.

2 It's the combination of all factor, he dependency, annoying routes horrible distribution, and let's be honest don't bring the third game in question when dealing with a generation the 2 first always determine the perception of the masses, platinum was the Opera prima of gen 4, but Sinnoh still gets on the nerves of almost any player DP being horrible replayability wise doesn't help.

3 I loved cm and bulk up, they allowed some pokemon to fulfill more roles in my opinion.

4 Yep Gardobor is genius, great design in my opinion I never thought I would love using a broken trash bags with googly eyes but it feels like a must to me whenever I replay black or black 2

5 Well as someone who replays a lot fire fighting gets boring to be honest, at least mainstory wise.

6 No complaints, unova feels so good to replay, Dex diversity fun routes that don't tire you quite a good region.

I agree on most parts, but Sinnoh does deserve it's hate if we talk about how DP showed itself.
7.8 / 10 Too Slow

Gen IV was also my first generation that I actually played. At the time, it didn't feel slow since I had nothing else to compare it too. But in comparison to faster pace of the animations and walking speeds, Gen IV just feels like I'm stuck in snow (which DID happen in those games).
I liked how the snow served as a challenge. It may feel slow to tread through there, and I have to agree (Great Marsh T_T), but I don't really mind it. At least there's some great music to listen to on your way.

I don't think the typing itself is what people have a problem with, it's the fact that every single fire-type starter from Gen III onwards always ended up being fire/fighting until Gen VI finally broke the tradition.

As for Gen IV, even though they're not my favorite games in the series, I feel like Sinnoh doesn't get credit where it's due. If it wasn't for D/P, we'd still be using the outdated physical/special move classification being by type, and we'd still be trading/battling exclusively to those around us irl.

Diamond and Pearl had a lot of speed issues though, not so much in progression as much as the gameplay itself. Battles were notably slow to load and play out, and if we had that surfing speed in R/S/E, our characters would've died from scurvy before we ever made it to Mossdeep. Thankfully a lot of those issues were addressed in Platinum.
I suppose I'm just used to it. And while the mechanics of running or surfing may be slow, exploring the region seems like taking a stroll and admiring what you see. And there are several tedious segments in the games. In Johto, you have to go back and forth from Mr. Pokemon's house to Elm's so many times. He'll ask you over to show him what the egg is, Silver stole something, blah blah blah- just let me go on my stupid adventure! And before Gen 3, we didn't even get running shoes. And I'm sure the surfing in the original R/S/E felt at least a little tedious. I don't see what makes Sinnoh different.

I still don't really like the complaints. And you have to admit that Blaziken, Infernape, and Emboar are three very different Pokemon.

I actually liked the concept of honey trees in DPPt. Everyone I knew whined about how stupid and tedious they were compared to headbutting trees, but I found them to be more involved and rewarding than "spam the A button on anything that looks like a tree for a Pokemon." The 6 hour wait never bothered me since I'd usually just place honey at night and check the trees in the morning before school, and it made getting certain Pokemon such as Munchlax (aka, the rarest non-event Pokemon in the entire franchise) more rewarding.

I kinda wish they would return, though I guess that won't happen until the possible D/P remakes.
I remember my first Munchlax. At the time, he and Snorlax were my favorite Pokemon, so I really wanted one. When I found one, I threw a Master Ball (my friend cheat coded a bunch of Master Balls on his game, so I had him have his traded Pokemon hold some) at it. He's still sitting there in the ORAS PC.

MOD EDIT: Double posting is not OK. Use the "Edit post" button. Triple posting, likewise. Quadruple posting is definitely not OK.

MOD EDIT: Double posting is not OK. Use the "Edit post" button. Triple posting, likewise. Quadruple posting is definitely not OK.
What do you mean? I don't think I double posted at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tazonite you would have HATED Gen V Ubers - Calm Mind Kyogre, Calm Mind Latias and all sorts of Calm Mind Arceuses (but especially Ghost Forme), Calm Mind was everywhere.

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader
I suppose I'm just used to it. And while the mechanics of running or surfing may be slow, exploring the region seems like taking a stroll and admiring what you see. And there are several tedious segments in the games. In Johto, you have to go back and forth from Mr. Pokemon's house to Elm's so many times. He'll ask you over to show him what the egg is, Silver stole something, blah blah blah- just let me go on my stupid adventure! And before Gen 3, we didn't even get running shoes. And I'm sure the surfing in the original R/S/E felt at least a little tedious. I don't see what makes Sinnoh different.
It's not that Sinnoh's different. Every Pokemon game has its own set of flaws, some more than others. It's just that Sinnoh's flaws were unnecessarily abundant compared to most of the other games. As Norne pointed out, D/P's issues go beyond pacing/speed; The regional dex was poorly handled, with many Gen IV Pokemon getting the shaft until post-game, and many types being underrepresented to the point where some important Gym Leaders/Elite 4 trainers couldn't even use a proper team that specialized in specific types (I'm looking at you, Volkner and Flint.), many glitches were present, such as the tweaking glitch, etc. Sure, Platinum mostly fixed the issues present in D/P, but that doesn't erase D/P's shortcomings. Usually when I look at the 3rd version to a set of games, such as Crystal and Emerald, I view them as "director's cut" versions. When it comes to DPPt, I see D/P as the beta version and Platinum as the finished product, which isn't a good thing in my eyes.

But long story short, I'm not saying Gen IV was trash and every other Gen is gold. Hell, earlier in the thread, I went on a complete GSC bashing spree over Johto's own set of problems, and I can certainly write up a list of problems from the other generations. As I mentioned before, I have fond memories of Sinnoh just as much as I do with R/B and every other game, and I do feel like the games are unappreciated in many aspects. But there's a reason why Sinnoh is seen as the black sheep of the franchise.

P.S. Just to keep it clear, no one's disagreeing or bashing your opinions. The whole point of this thread is to post opinions that are considered out of the norm, so there are no "wrong" or "right" opinions here. :p

It's not that Sinnoh's different. Every Pokemon game has its own set of flaws, some more than others. It's just that Sinnoh's flaws were unnecessarily abundant compared to most of the other games. As Norne pointed out, D/P's issues go beyond pacing/speed; The regional dex was poorly handled, with many Gen IV Pokemon getting the shaft until post-game, and many types being underrepresented to the point where some important Gym Leaders/Elite 4 trainers couldn't even use a proper team that specialized in specific types (I'm looking at you, Volkner and Flint.), many glitches were present, such as the tweaking glitch, etc. Sure, Platinum mostly fixed the issues present in D/P, but that doesn't erase D/P's shortcomings. Usually when I look at the 3rd version to a set of games, such as Crystal and Emerald, I view them as "director's cut" versions. When it comes to DPPt, I see D/P as the beta version and Platinum as the finished product, which isn't a good thing in my eyes.

But long story short, I'm not saying Gen IV was trash and every other Gen is gold. Hell, earlier in the thread, I went on a complete GSC bashing spree over Johto's own set of problems, and I can certainly write up a list of problems from the other generations. As I mentioned before, I have fond memories of Sinnoh just as much as I do with R/B and every other game, and I do feel like the games are unappreciated in many aspects. But there's a reason why Sinnoh is seen as the black sheep of the franchise.

P.S. Just to keep it clear, no one's disagreeing or bashing your opinions. The whole point of this thread is to post opinions that are considered out of the norm, so there are no "wrong" or "right" opinions here. :p
It's just funny because all of my friends feel the exact opposite. So many people got back INTO Pokemon in my high school because of DP claiming that it was nostalgic for some reason. All throughout Gen II and III I didn't feel right telling people that I liked Pokemon but then seeing like a good 20% of the class getting super into Pokemon that I was able to talk with them about it. I even did a review of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl for our school newspaper. It was a special time.

The slowness never bothered me anyways. Aside from saving it just felt as bad as Gen III.

Diamond and Pearl were more so experiment games for Game Freak's first project on the 3DS. And besides, the regional thing has been a problem for other regions too (Glacia, Phoebe, Agatha, Claire, Lance, etc.).

I know that nobody's bashing it.

It's just funny because all of my friends feel the exact opposite. So many people got back INTO Pokemon in my high school because of DP claiming that it was nostalgic for some reason. All throughout Gen II and III I didn't feel right telling people that I liked Pokemon but then seeing like a good 20% of the class getting super into Pokemon that I was able to talk with them about it. I even did a review of Pokemon Diamond and Pearl for our school newspaper. It was a special time.

The slowness never bothered me anyways. Aside from saving it just felt as bad as Gen III.
Saving a lot of data.... Like... a lot of it.... A LOT.

Mod Edit: Seriously, stop double posting. Last warning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saving a lot of data.... Like... a lot of it.... A LOT.
Ugh, that message drove me insane in Platinum. Especially since I have so many Pokémon that my PC is almost full. It is somewhat bad in SoulSilver, but nowhere near the point of Platinum since I did try to catch 'em all.

Ugh, that message drove me insane in Platinum. Especially since I have so many Pokémon that my PC is almost full. It is somewhat bad in SoulSilver, but nowhere near the point of Platinum since I did try to catch 'em all.
The annoying part is that just TOUCHING your box caused that message to appear. Same thing with BW

Xen

is a Community Leaderis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Wi-Fi Leader

True. After Gen II, the series did take a bit of a popularity drop that seemed to spike back up with the release of D/P. I imagine the 10th anniversary events of 2006 can be largely credited towards the resurgence of popularity around this time, since it not only introduced the series to a new generation of fans, but brought back the nostalgia to those who played the games earlier, but dropped out of the series for whatever reason. Reflecting back, I still remember my brother and I getting DS Lites in 2006 because we knew D/P were around the corner. Our dad bought a Need For Speed game for us to share between the two of us until the games came out. :3

And besides, the regional thing has been a problem for other regions too (Glacia, Phoebe, Agatha, Claire, Lance, etc.).
That's a valid point. Though I can forgive Agatha and Lance due to the little source material they had to work with at the time (they should've labeled Agatha as a Poison type specialist), it always bugged me seeing a bunch of repeat occurrences of evolutionary families on every single one of the Elite 4's teams in R/S bar Sidney.

True. After Gen II, the series did take a bit of a popularity drop that seemed to spike back up with the release of D/P. I imagine the 10th anniversary events of 2006 can be largely credited towards the resurgence of popularity around this time, since it not only introduced the series to a new generation of fans, but brought back the nostalgia to those who played the games earlier, but dropped out of the series for whatever reason. Reflecting back, I still remember my brother and I getting DS Lites in 2006 because we knew D/P were around the corner. Our dad bought a Need For Speed game for us to share between the two of us until the games came out. :3

That's a valid point. Though I can forgive Agatha and Lance due to the little source material they had to work with at the time (they should've labeled Agatha as a Poison type specialist), it always bugged me seeing a bunch of repeat occurrences of evolutionary families on every single one of the Elite 4's teams in R/S bar Sidney.
Lance should have been a Flying type specialist.

Well, it's the time frame. The target audience for the series is about 5-12 years old. The original fan base back in 1998 was 10-17 by the time Ruby and Sapphire came out in 2003, meaning many were "growing out of the series". By 2006-9, many of the older fans were now in college and college is when you stop caring about what others think about you. Also, around this same time period a great shift occurred. Suddenly, being nerdy was cool. And trust me, I noticed this personally since betwee 2004-7, I was bulled like crazy for playing Yu-Gi-Oh in junior high, yet no one commented in high school. So liking Pokémon during puberty became less of a social stigma around the same time Generation IV came out.
Also, I was part of the original fan base when I was five, got out around RS, and when Platinum cam out, I had started getting nostalgic for the series and got back into again, so even I fall into this group (though I never thought is was for children. I'm not that kind of person).

Last edited:

Gen 4 was when lots of people started getting into Pokemon. Poke Tubers like TamashiiHiroka and JWittz- and dookieshed if I remember correctly- all got back into Pokemon at around Gen 4. It was a good time for people to get back into it. And with new mechanics, and a game with Route 209 music in it (the soundfont in this game kills me each time I hear it- memories), well, it's nice that people were able to get back into Pokemon.

Ah, the DS Lite. After all these days of playing on Desmond (My 3DS XL), it's hard to look back at how small those things were in comparison. It's like How did I even play on that thing? The only working one I have left is the pink one my sister had. It's mine now though. It's useful at times.

Yeah, at least Sidney got a lot of Dark types, and it was nice to see variety in OR/AS.

Gen 4 was when lots of people started getting into Pokemon. Poke Tubers like TamashiiHiroka and JWittz- and dookieshed if I remember correctly- all got back into Pokemon at around Gen 4.
It was NateWantsToBattle, not Dookie, if my memory serves me correctly.
Also, wait, you named your 3DS?

Pokemon Hentai, yeah isn't that a barrel full of chimchars.

People who like it should stay where they belong, people who dislike it should stay quiet about it if the discussion isn't at hand. Rule 34 is as certain as death and taxes, acceptance of it is a good thing

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
5.) I totally agree regarding Fire/Fighting and the comparison between only Grass reptiles. The complaints are annoying as hell.
Who was complaining about the Grass Starter being reptiles (at least until Gen VI)? Fire/Fighting, while a solid type, by Gen V had something that's been done twice and by then three times. Now while they did have different ways of fighting (Blaziken kicks, Infernape kung fu fights, and Emboar is a "bulky" brute), overall they felt same-y with the same type, normal Ability, and being mainly physical.
Also it may make you team feel same-y for the main game as usually people build around their starter. I like to be provided the challenge of making a team that makes up for other member's weaknesses and rather not just follow my game plan I followed last gen.

What do you mean? I don't think I double posted at all...
You posted several messages in a row. To not fill up a thread with just one person's posts, if you have something else to say but the most recent post in that thread is from you it's preferable if you just edit your last post. Also if you have multiple things to say it's just much easier for you to put it all in one post instead of making multiple in a row.

Aside from saving it just felt as bad as Gen III.
Yeah, how fast Gen VI saved surprised me. Kind of wonder what they did that allows for such fast saving...

And besides, the regional thing has been a problem for other regions too (Glacia, Phoebe, Agatha, Claire, Lance, etc.).
As Xen said, I can forgive Lance, Agatha, Claire, and Morty (to add in the other Ghost-type specialist) since Gen I and II were sort of trying to keep certain types "rare". However by Gen III they kind of realized that was kind of silly and from then on no type specialist has an excuse not to have all their Pokemon be of their type. GameFreak just needs to add Pokemon of those type to the Regional Dex, if there's not enough new ones they fill it out with older ones. Though personal I think when making new Pokemon they should at least know what types the Gym Leaders & Elite Four are (and Champion and Villain team if they also have a type preference).

Who was complaining about the Grass Starter being reptiles (at least until Gen VI)? Fire/Fighting, while a solid type, by Gen V had something that's been done twice and by then three times. Now while they did have different ways of fighting (Blaziken kicks, Infernape kung fu fights, and Emboar is a "bulky" brute), overall they felt same-y with the same type, normal Ability, and being mainly physical.
Also it may make you team feel same-y for the main game as usually people build around their starter. I like to be provided the challenge of making a team that makes up for other member's weaknesses and rather not just follow my game plan I followed last gen.

As Xen said, I can forgive Lance, Agatha, Claire, and Morty (to add in the other Ghost-type specialist) since Gen I and II were sort of trying to keep certain types "rare". However by Gen III they kind of realized that was kind of silly and from then on no type specialist has an excuse not to have all their Pokemon be of their type. GameFreak just needs to add Pokemon of those type to the Regional Dex, if there's not enough new ones they fill it out with older ones. Though personal I think when making new Pokemon they should at least know what types the Gym Leaders & Elite Four are (and Champion and Villain team if they also have a type preference).
Yeah, and even though Fire/Fighting is a good type, we really don't need to see another one (even as a non-starter) unless we have a purely special one with access to Aura Sphere. I mean, Infernape did mixed wallbreaker perfectly and no one underestimates Speed Boost (and occasionally Mega) Blaziken.
Also, we just need more type variety so that the starters have more uniqueness. The designs being of the same creature type isn't a bad thing, especially reptiles. I mean, for the Grass Reptile Starters, we have a frog/dino (Bulbasaur), a pure dino (Chikorita), a gecko (Treeko), a turtle (Turtwig), and a snake (Snivy). That is a decent amount of variety.

It is odd how sometimes there aren't enough Pokémon for the Elite Four. Just make sure there are five families of each type and boom, you are done.

Seems to me that the Fire starters always get the most glory, excluding Gen 6, I see plenty of Greninja everywhere. After Charizard I guess they just knew Fire seemed cooler, so they went with that for some of the cooler designs and PLENTY of Fighting types. Went onto Bulbapedia, and five out of six Fire starters are dual-type for their final evolution. Three for Grass, and three also for Water. At least for Kalos we had Fire/Physic, something new, along with the Fighting starter being given to our first mammal Grass starter. But why always favor Fire types?

Yeah, and even though Fire/Fighting is a good type, we really don't need to see another one (even as a non-starter) unless we have a purely special one with access to Aura Sphere. I mean, Infernape did mixed wallbreaker perfectly and no one underestimates Speed Boost (and occasionally Mega) Blaziken.
Also, we just need more type variety so that the starters have more uniqueness. The designs being of the same creature type isn't a bad thing, especially reptiles. I mean, for the Grass Reptile Starters, we have a frog/dino (Bulbasaur), a pure dino (Chikorita), a gecko (Treeko), a turtle (Turtwig), and a snake (Snivy). That is a decent amount of variety.

It is odd how sometimes there aren't enough Pokémon for the Elite Four. Just make sure there are five families of each type and boom, you are done.
So if we need more type variety to make starters unique, what makes the Mono starters okay? Venusaur is not a frog dinosaur, not even close to frog. Chespin is like an anthro nut. The Fire Fighting types to me have variety. Blaziken has Speed Boost, Infernape is a good mixed wall, and Emboar- while he sucks- at least functions like an offensive tank, which is something none of the Fire type starters beforehand did. And Emboar is still usable in the lower tiers.

I love how the region with the most variety in it only has FOUR POKEMON ON EACH TEAM. It's not like they're well put-together like Gen 5's E4, and it's not like they get harder in the same way the Unova E4 did either. How do you screw up a Dragon type trainer this badly? Even the ones from Gens 1-2, when there were only 4 Dragon types, were more challenging and memorable. And then we have the worst champion on the series. Even in the anime, she sucks so badly that her main strategy is just having Gardevoir spam teleport.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

I wouldn't say there shouldn't be anymore Fire/Fighting. While the Fire/Fighting we do have are prominent being starters, they're still the only Fire/Fighting; 3 families, 6 Pokemon individually (and no basic stage, all are evolved). I just don't want to see them as a Starter anymore.
It also doesn't necessarily need to be Special focused. Fire/Fighting is one of those types that honestly can run either special, physical, or mixed. Fire leads to Special coverage while Fighting leads to Physical, and there are some notable exception in-between (if the Pokemon is made so that it could logically have those moves). The only thing it can't do is be defensive but, come on, why would you a Pokemon of that type to be defensive?
They probably stuck with physical/mixed minded Fire/Fighting because Fighting is just a more Physical type and Fire has plenty of strong physical moves as well. There's only 5 special Fighting-type moves and honestly they all have some problems. Aura Sphere is average at best, Final Gambit faints the user, Focus Blast is strong but inaccurate, Secret Sword is a signature move that not even the Honedge family gets, and Vacuum Wave has priority but is weak. And for them most part a Pokemon sort of need to be made so it can logically be able to use these moves.

Yeah, the thing about the reptile Grass Starters is that they're all different reptiles, but we're comparing apples to oranges here. Reptile Grass-type Starters is a design discussion while Fire/Fighting Starter is a usability discussion. Fire/Fighting Starter had sort of followed the same formula which made a bit predictable in terms of use. Reptile Grass Starters are only limited by the designers imagination and I've think they'd done a decent enough job with what they had to work with.

From Gen III onwards just a few additions to the Pokedex, be them new or old, would fix any gaps for Gym Leader and Elite Four (and Champion and Villain Syndicates if it applies to them).

Seems to me that the Fire starters always get the most glory, excluding Gen 6, I see plenty of Greninja everywhere. After Charizard I guess they just knew Fire seemed cooler, so they went with that for some of the cooler designs and PLENTY of Fighting types. Went onto Bulbapedia, and five out of six Fire starters are dual-type for their final evolution. Three for Grass, and three also for Water. At least for Kalos we had Fire/Physic, something new, along with the Fighting starter being given to our first mammal Grass starter. But why always favor Fire types?
Hmm, that's all opinion (except for Charizard being the best, that's pretty undeniable). While I myself like Fire-types I can see plenty of appeal in other Starters. Also for the most part in advertising they usually use the basic stage instead of the fully evolved stage (which is why Piplup, Oshawott, and Snivy are so popular).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)