Unpopular opinions

The third movie's Pikachu short actually takes place on Ash's birthday.
... in the dub.

I clearly remember that the first episode of Best Wishes stated that Ash was 10.

How he managed to get all the badges and be in five separate league competitions (If you can call the Orange Islands a competition) AND defeat all the Kanto Frontier Brains in less than a year is anyone's guess.

I honestly think they should have kept Lunala Lunaala, rather than changing it for the English name. It comes off as more exotic (like Hawaii; Lunaala), for an exotic region.
For me it's the signature attacks.

Shadow Ray and Meteor Drive sound much more appealling than Moongeist Beam and Sunsteel Strike, which sound like something straight out of the 5th grade fanfic of MetalWarDragonite that I totally never made.

Shadow Ray and Meteor Drive sound much more appealling than Moongeist Beam and Sunsteel Strike, which sound like something straight out of the 5th grade fanfic of MetalWarDragonite that I totally never made.
Which is why whenever Solgaleo uses his signature move, I won't be screaming Sunsteel Strike! I'm kinda mixed feelings on Mooniest Beam. Shadow Ray sounds cooler, but the animation does indeed look like a moon beam of death.

Personally I like the English names better than the translations, I think they sound more intense and unique.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

While I can understand changing them to more match the Sun & Moon theme, I do agree they went a bit far. Now it's probably due to them wanting to name a Physical Steel-type move after the sun and a Special Ghost-type move after the moon, but "SunSteel" and "Moongeist"? (Though admittedly I do like the word "Moongeist")

Actually just in general, though I'm willing to see where they go with it, I do feel GF "miss the mark" with these Legendaries. Like it feels like they made the Sun Pokemon part Steel and had their Signature Abilities and Attacks not have anything to do with the Sun & Moon because they didn't want to be "obvious". Unless they do something interesting with it that explains these odd decisions, it feels like they only did it just so it wouldn't be obvious, like a story having a random out of nowhere twist just to have one. And if that's the case, I don't like it, you should never compromise something just to not make it obvious, there's need to be a more coherent reason.

Shadow Ray sounds generic (or that it's the evil version of some guy named Ray). Moongeist Beam sounds like a freaking signature move!
And while Meteor Drive does sound cool, it doesn't fit the Sunne Pokémon, does it?

Fair point, so to let me lick my wounds let's change topics:

I'm not the biggest fan of the super expansive regional pokedexes that B2W2 and X/Y went with. While it was okayish in B2W2 (being a sequel game) in X/Y I just felt overwhelmed by all the options and felt it stole the spotlight some of the new monsters were supposed to have.

While I can understand a bit of the developers heads around why they did this (X/Y had very little postgame, megas for old 'mons, and not enough original 'mons to carry the game alone), and I know I'm being nitpicky when I say they've given me too many options to work with, but some of the only difficulty in the game comes from limited setlists (that's essentially half of what a nuzlocke run is) there's got to be some compromise between pidgey and rattata lines on every route and Lucario before gym one and Salamance before gym two.

Not saying that no returning pokemon is the way to go, but I feel once we pass the 250 regional 'dex mark we might be getting into dangerous waters.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok, got a pretty unpopular opinion here that I mentioned in the Pokémon Election thread: I really, really hate Greninja. It is my least favorite Pokémon. Why?
1. It got super hyped up by GF. It also looked to me like the only original starter design of Gen VI (Delphox looking a lot like it's Gen I precursor and Chesnaught... what) and my friends were choosing it. I picked Delphox myself.
2. It was actually decent. Unlike the Torterra-like "tank with bad defensive typing" and "mage that doesn't get Thunderbolt (or anything decent besides maybe Grass Knot)", it got a usable Hidden Ability and pretty much more moves than the two others combined.
3. It was in Sm4sh. Really? At least Pokken Tournament included... Braixen. Still, it just seemed to me like the other two starters were left in the dust by even the people who made them.
4. It ended up getting banned to Uber. This sort of ties in to #2, and although it's not used for much more than a hazard lead there, having it compete on the same level as Arceus just feels... wrong somehow.
5. It's apparently the most popular Pokémon in Japan, so they're giving it away via distribution. Keep in mind that this is a starter. And not only that, you're basically guaranteed to run into one after Wonder Trading half a dozen Pokémon. We could have gotten shiny Zygarde, instead we got this lame, common toad.
6. It's everywhere. I don't want to have to look at this thing wherever I go. Can't someone else just use Chesnaught for once?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Ok, got a pretty unpopular opinion here that I mentioned in the Pokémon Election thread: I really, really hate Greninja. It is my least favorite Pokémon. Why?
1. It got super hyped up by GF. It also looked to me like the only original starter design of Gen VI (Delphox looking a lot like it's Gen I precursor and Chesnaught... what) and my friends were choosing it. I picked Delphox myself.
2. It was actually decent. Unlike the Torterra-like "tank with bad defensive typing" and "mage that doesn't get Thunderbolt (or anything decent besides maybe Grass Knot)", it got a usable Hidden Ability and pretty much more moves than the two others combined.
3. It was in Sm4sh. Really? At least Pokken Tournament included... Braixen. Still, it just seemed to me like the other two starters were left in the dust by even the people who made them.
4. It ended up getting banned to Uber. This sort of ties in to #2, and although it's not used for much more than a hazard lead there, having it compete on the same level as Arceus just feels... wrong somehow.
5. It's apparently the most popular Pokémon in Japan, so they're giving it away via distribution. Keep in mind that this is a starter. And not only that, you're basically guaranteed to run into one after Wonder Trading half a dozen Pokémon. We could have gotten shiny Zygarde, instead we got this lame, common toad.
6. It's everywhere. I don't want to have to look at this thing wherever I go. Can't someone else just use Chesnaught for once?
May I add one more point? While I don't hate Greninja, it is beginning to get overexposed like Lucario. I can understand why people like it, but it seems now GF ha fallen for the hype and is starting to give it too much. Of course my favorite Pokemon is Charizard so what right do I have to say a Starter is getting too much when it got 2 Mega Evolutions, which now leads me to my addition:

7. They're giving it a lot of importance in the anime. It and Ash are essentially the "chosen ones" of Kalos. So much so that instead of letting Ash have a normal Mega Pokemon (like say Mega Charizard Y, giving a reason for bringing Charizard out of training and also putting Ash on sort of equal footing with Alain who's looking to become a sort of anti-protagonist) instead they power-up Greninja with a sort of fusion form with Ash that's not in the games so why? And yes, I know we're getting a Mega Charizard battle between Alain and Trevor but we know Trevor is going to lose so it's not really giving MCY a fair time in the spotlight.

Oh, that's a new unpopular opinion: I don't really like Mega Charizard X. I like aspects of it. I like its Dragon-type, I like its a Physical option for Charizard. However I feel it's a tad bit overexposed (to the point you'd think it was the only Mega Charizard) and I don't like its design.

Charizard X has the better colors and typing to be sure. But I do like Charizard Y's design better with the longer wings/tail, arm fins, and wyvern shaped head.

I don't hate Charizard X, but the spikes on the shoulders always bugged me.

However I feel it's a tad bit overexposed (to the point you'd think it was the only Mega Charizard) and I don't like its design.
Yes, yes, and more yes. Especially since I absolutely love Mega Charizard-Y. It's the best designed of the Kanto Megas (sorry, Blastoise) yet it is constantly overshadowed by the lazily designed Charizard-X.
I still am not a fan of two Megas on a single Pokémon since in both cases, one Mega is given the spotlight over the other, though it isn't so bad in the case of Mewtwo-X, which actually falls into the same trap as Charizard-X (lazy-X vs streamlined-Y).

How are these reasons to dislike Greninja? I'm not saying you have to like it, but I just don't get these.

Charizard X has the better colors and typing to be sure. But I do like Charizard Y's design better with the longer wings/tail, arm fins, and wyvern shaped head.

Shiny Charizard Y, best coloring and best design, I prefer orange but I can sympathize with people wanting a darker lizard.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
You still didn't really state why you hate it in the first place.

Back when XY was first released, Delphox and Chesnaught were heavily criticized by the Japanese audience. That's why they weren't given a chance.
Whilst Japanese people did like Braixen due to the sexy black tights legs, people were really pissed by Delphox's design, saying that it looks like an old lady.

Greninja getting the most spotlight is the right thing to do.

My one complaint with charizard X is the blue flames coming from the sides of its mouth at all times. For some reason it bugs the heck out of me. Other than that though, I think he's awesome. Perfect mega for charizard.

Honestly Gen VI base forms are better than their final evolution. I don't mind Greninja except its weird tongue scarf thing? Greninja just has the most going for it compared to the other two Gen VI starters.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Yes, yes, and more yes. Especially since I absolutely love Mega Charizard-Y. It's the best designed of the Kanto Megas (sorry, Blastoise) yet it is constantly overshadowed by the lazily designed Charizard-X.
I still am not a fan of two Megas on a single Pokémon since in both cases, one Mega is given the spotlight over the other, though it isn't so bad in the case of Mewtwo-X, which actually falls into the same trap as Charizard-X (lazy-X vs streamlined-Y).

How are these reasons to dislike Greninja? I'm not saying you have to like it, but I just don't get these.
It got so much attention compared to the other two starters, as shown in both its battling capabilities and the attention GF has given it in terms of marketing. That really bothers me because no starter is supposed to be "better" than the other two.

It got so much attention compared to the other two starters, as shown in both its battling capabilities and the attention GF has given it in terms of marketing. That really bothers me because no starter is supposed to be "better" than the other two.
Don't get me wrong, I really like greninja, but after looking at it from that perspective it does seem really strange/stupid that gamefreak put all their eggs in one basket (greninja).

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Don't get me wrong, I really like greninja, but after looking at it from that perspective it does seem really strange/stupid that gamefreak put all their eggs in one basket (greninja).
I'd argue that they are kind of forced to.
The negativity towards the other 2 starters are really obvious, at least from Japan.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'd argue that they are kind of forced to.
The negativity towards the other 2 starters are really obvious, at least from Japan.
Well... Greninja was designed long before it was revealed (obviously), so at least its superior battling capabilities were a thing before the backlash happened. Then again, these battling abilities are because of a Hidden Ability, which does not affect in-game runs and therefore don't skew the balance in favour of it over the other starters.

I don't know at which point they could have decided to give Greninja by far the most exposure in the Anime, but episodes of animated series are usually produced well over six months ahead of their premiere. Maybe up to a year, or more. Anything Greninja does in the Anime today was probably decided on in the summer of 2015, if not before. When did Greninja start being overhyped in marketing and the TV series and such, compared to the two other starters? If it happened more or less one year after the release of the games, it could have happened because of the initial reception.

By the way, I'm also of the opinion that the tongue scarf makes Greninja stupid. It does not work well as a tongue. Actually, it would give Greninja both eating and breathing problems. It's unsanitary as heck. It serves no purpose as a prehensile appendage (and again, why did it have to be its freaking tongue?), other than waving in the wind behind Greninja like a scarf (and tongues are generally way too dense for that to be remotely realistic - it's a big muscle, not a gas-filled bladder). Last, as demonstrated by Jynx, Hitmonchan, Sawk, Throh, Farfetch'd and many others - Pokémon work totally fine with using man-made or natural objects as part of their design. If they wanted to give Greninja a scarf - why not give it a freaking scarf?!? Why did they have to make the scarf its tongue, or make its tongue a scarf? It makes no sense.

Hopefully, TPC will one day go out with a disclaimer saying that the scarf isn't actually its tongue after all. It is not referred to as such in Pokédex entries. It also seems like the creators of the Anime have problems with drawing it as if it was sticking out of Greninja's mouth, instead animating it like a conventional scarf. With scenes like this in mind, I have hope that they will one day decide to call it a wholly separate body part. Because having a tongue wrapped around the neck like that is just plain idiotic.

Well, this Greninja better have something on the level of V-Create Rayquaza, or nobody will actually want the thing. There's like, a million Greninja floating around the GTS/Wonder Trade at any one time, so this one has got to be really special in some way.

(Watch Trollfreak make it shiny, but with absolutely nothing else, not even Protean.)

I never cared about the tongue scarf, other than the way it looks more a chameleon tongue than the vaguely humanoid one that real frogs have. It's kind of off-putting, even if the anantomy shouldn't matter so much...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)