Unova Classic

I know I can't be the only one considering Mr Mime?
Dual screens
Wide Guard
Quick Guard
Fake out (@ 90 base speed so not too bad)
And my personal favorite: Snatch

With all the Tailwind Whimsicott running around Snatch can be a crazy clutch move

And then you even have Gen 3 Follow Me. Mr Mime deserves some recognition here.

I've never used Mr. Mime, but I don't think he'll be that good in UC. He isn't very high on the Trips PS statistics and is even lower on the Trips Battle Spot statistics. Also, I feel that many other mons can do his job better. Mr. Mime is quite frail too, so I don't see him getting much use in UC.

Mega Blastoise was the crux of my Triples team, its a shame I can't use it here.
I'm sure I can conjure some new horror though. If not, Hydreigon + Staraptor spam machine here I come
I'm currently running a Rain Dance/Tail Wind offensive variant Crobat + Specs Blastoise + Wide Guard/Helping Hand/Snatch Mr Mime
Done good so far, Specs Water Spout + Helping Hand in the rain basically OHKOs anything but just in case I have Lando T in the back to finish everything else off

I'm currently running a Rain Dance/Tail Wind offensive variant Crobat + Specs Blastoise + Wide Guard/Helping Hand/Snatch Mr Mime
Done good so far, Specs Water Spout + Helping Hand in the rain basically OHKOs anything but just in case I have Lando T in the back to finish everything else off
I ran Plusle + Mega Blastoise + Zapdos/Latias.
Entrainment (on Blastoise) + Fake Out + Tailwind off the bat. Then we have a Lightningrod Mega Blastoise in Tailwind front and center, spam Discharge/HH on Plusle till it drops, and Zapdos spews Rain Dance / additional Discharges until it drops.
Latias comes in, keeps up Tailwind, and spews Heal Pulse at Blastoise to make sure its +3 or higher Water Spout doesn't even kinda sorta question whether or not they die.
Scizor after that for Feint, Eruption Typhlosion / Entei as backup LR doomspammer.
Maison was very fucked. Can't run half of that here though. You know how hard it is to kill a +3 Lightningrod Mega Blastoise in Tailwind? lol.

Specs Blastoise could work too, just can't swap Water Spout / Muddy Water as needed.
But I'm thinking of something far more stupid. Goal of this tourney: 1 win, at any cost.

I've been doing some testing on the Showdown! ladder and I've found that Audino actually has some viability. It has access to some good support moves like Heal Pulse and Icy Wind, as well as being able to pull off Entrainment with Klutz. Healer also isn't an awful ability (even though Heal Bell is probably better).

But the (sometimes) most useful thing I discovered is Simple Beam. With it, Audino can remove all the useful abilities from your opponent's Pokemon! You can halt Prankster users right in their track, make Ludicolo cry in despair as it loses Swift Swim, stop the likes of Lightning Rod, Flash Fire, and Storm Drain, and even stop Terrakion from gaining it's Justified boosts! (If for some reason your think Audino can outspeed Beat Up users or not get OHKOed by Terrakion's Close Combat).

Essentially, it can support your team with stuff like Simple Beam and not be completely worthless.

I used audino on a trick room team back in early xy when i was kinda new to triples.

Using simple beam on clefable with cosmic power/minimize is pretty scary. Once clefable got to +6 defenses and +6 evasion, I basically won lol. I'd say that audino is ok: double edge to hit opposing pokemon with little hp, trick room, heal pulse, and the very useful regenerator ability. I used a sitrus berry audino since audino is very bulky and can live close combats (especially when i have hitmontop as a teammate).

audino can be used, but one would need to find a reliable way to counter teracott and taunt.

I've been doing some testing on the Showdown! ladder and I've found that Audino actually has some viability. It has access to some good support moves like Heal Pulse and Icy Wind, as well as being able to pull off Entrainment with Klutz. Healer also isn't an awful ability (even though Heal Bell is probably better).

But the (sometimes) most useful thing I discovered is Simple Beam. With it, Audino can remove all the useful abilities from your opponent's Pokemon! You can halt Prankster users right in their track, make Ludicolo cry in despair as it loses Swift Swim, stop the likes of Lightning Rod, Flash Fire, and Storm Drain, and even stop Terrakion from gaining it's Justified boosts! (If for some reason your think Audino can outspeed Beat Up users or not get OHKOed by Terrakion's Close Combat).

Essentially, it can support your team with stuff like Simple Beam and not be completely worthless.
I think Clefairy can work well in this role as well, especially with friend guard. He also gets Icy Wind, Helping Hands, and Heal Pulse as well as other support moves.
EDIT: I've been spectating some PS UC battles and many trainers are trying out Clefairy, with varying levels of success. Not sure if the fairy is actually any good... but seeing as Clefairy has also risen in usage on VGC 16, I'm curious to know what you guys think.

I used audino on a trick room team back in early xy when i was kinda new to triples.

Using simple beam on clefable with cosmic power/minimize is pretty scary. Once clefable got to +6 defenses and +6 evasion, I basically won lol. I'd say that audino is ok: double edge to hit opposing pokemon with little hp, trick room, heal pulse, and the very useful regenerator ability. I used a sitrus berry audino since audino is very bulky and can live close combats (especially when i have hitmontop as a teammate).

audino can be used, but one would need to find a reliable way to counter teracott and taunt.
Are you sure you're not thinking of Signal Beam? I don't see any evidence that Clefable can learn Simple Beam.

Last edited:
T.U.C. I meant audino using simple beam on clefable haha. how else would clefable get simple? sorry for not being clear. :3

i'm hoping to place high in this tournament. it's a must for someone who has done way too many triple battles lol

T.U.C. I meant audino using simple beam on clefable haha. how else would clefable get simple? sorry for not being clear. :3

i'm hoping to place high in this tournament. it's a must for someone who has done way too many triple battles lol
Oh, I see now. Completely read that wrong. lol. That's actually a pretty good strategy, effectively halving the number of turns to get to +6. You could also use it on opposing mons to negate their ability and then switch in an Intimidater to lower atk by 2 stages... I completely underestimated Audino. Mind Blown O.o

I'm pretty set on using a Sand team with CB Stoutland, it really wrecks most things I've run into unless I misplay.

My only real question is this, is Jolly or Adamant better on my Stoutland? I'm terrified of Terracott, Jolly is the only way to outspeed Scarf Terrakion, but doesnt pick up some KOs, and I'm running Retaliate instead of Return, since Stoutland makes a great revenge killer. If I see Whimsicott and Terrakion in team preview, I get my sand up and try to KO with superpower as fast as I can, since they always seem to come out first.

But I haven't actually seen too many Terracott teams, so if I am I over-preparing for something I won't see, I'd like to run Adamant.

I'm also running Safeguard Sandlash just to screw over Dark Void Smeargle, but that hasn't been very common on-cart in the last few competitions, so....am I just over-preparing for no reason?

I'm pretty set on using a Sand team with CB Stoutland, it really wrecks most things I've run into unless I misplay.

My only real question is this, is Jolly or Adamant better on my Stoutland? I'm terrified of Terracott, Jolly is the only way to outspeed Scarf Terrakion, but doesnt pick up some KOs, and I'm running Retaliate instead of Return, since Stoutland makes a great revenge killer. If I see Whimsicott and Terrakion in team preview, I get my sand up and try to KO with superpower as fast as I can, since they always seem to come out first.

But I haven't actually seen too many Terracott teams, so if I am I over-preparing for something I won't see, I'd like to run Adamant.

I'm also running Safeguard Sandlash just to screw over Dark Void Smeargle, but that hasn't been very common on-cart in the last few competitions, so....am I just over-preparing for no reason?
Safeguard Sandslash, you clever bastard. +5
I will truly enjoy this meta. lol. Really should start focusing on it instead of BSD.
Be careful on the Sand boost though, makes Terrakion surprisingly hard to kill without strong Fighting moves.
Could also run Scarf Topsy-Turvy Smeargle. Turn that +6 Atk into -6 LOL

Safeguard Sandslash, you clever bastard. +5
I will truly enjoy this meta. lol. Really should start focusing on it instead of BSD.
Be careful on the Sand boost though, makes Terrakion surprisingly hard to kill without strong Fighting moves.
Could also run Scarf Topsy-Turvy Smeargle. Turn that +6 Atk into -6 LOL
Show me your Arbok, I'll show you my Sandslash.

Trick room gives me a hard time too, but if I can identify it, then I just focus on KOing the TR setter. I have most of my team bred, just might to re-do a few natures and movesets. I feel pretty confident in this competition.

I'm officially registered! Yous guys readys?

EDIT: Xthaipe if it makes you feel any better, I plan on running Terracott in this tourney. I've never tried it before and thought this would be a great opportunity. Looking forward to kicking your Stoutland's butt ;-)

Last edited:
So I am absolutely new here and have come to ask two simple questions to hopefully alleviate some fears of mine as I get involved in these events more.

1. Does the registration period just mean committing to participating, or do you have to have a full team ready to go?

2. How badly ruined am I for not soft-resetting for the right legendary Pokemon? Is this something that is reasonable to work around, or will I just be getting continually kicked around for not doing it?

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
So I am absolutely new here and have come to ask two simple questions to hopefully alleviate some fears of mine as I get involved in these events more.

1. Does the registration period just mean committing to participating, or do you have to have a full team ready to go?

2. How badly ruined am I for not soft-resetting for the right legendary Pokemon? Is this something that is reasonable to work around, or will I just be getting continually kicked around for not doing it?
1. You're just committing to participating; you don't need a team until you start battling.

2. I don't think as big a deal in this competition but there are giveaways in the wifi section giving legendaries.

Once you register, you still have a few days to finalize your team, you don't have to lock in your battle box until you're ready to play, even if it's the last day of the competition.

So far as legends, I'm not using any, you don't always need one, but if your team stratagy calls for one, check out the giveaway forum in Wifi, Theorymon and Most will give you whichever ones you want from their thread, just follow their rules.

I'm officially registered! Yous guys readys?

EDIT: Xthaipe if it makes you feel any better, I plan on running Terracott in this tourney. I've never tried it before and thought this would be a great opportunity. Looking forward to kicking your Stoutland's butt ;-)
Going Jolly then, bring it on.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Having trouble registering, I hope my laptop hasn't suddenly decided to act up on me at this of all times.

Show me your Arbok, I'll show you my Sandslash.
Getting dirty with me huh? I'll show you my "Arbok". ;)
Arbok @ Black Sludge
Careful, 252 HP, 4 Atk, 84 Def, 156 Sp. Def, 12 Speed
Ability: Intimidate

- Gunk Shot
- Glare
- Coil
- Rock Slide

Its been plastered across 4 competitions or so, easy to find :P
Might drop RS for ChestoResto though, needs more healing.

Can't pick between "Crazy gimmik" and "something more standard / reliable with the usual array of dirty tricks"; Arbok isn't planned for either one though.
You never know, I did use it in every Classic this year.

Getting dirty with me huh? I'll show you my "Arbok". ;)
Arbok @ Black Sludge
Careful, 252 HP, 4 Atk, 84 Def, 156 Sp. Def, 12 Speed
Ability: Intimidate

- Gunk Shot
- Glare
- Coil
- Rock Slide

Its been plastered across 4 competitions or so, easy to find :P
Might drop RS for ChestoResto though, needs more healing.

Can't pick between "Crazy gimmik" and "something more standard / reliable with the usual array of dirty tricks"; Arbok isn't planned for either one though.
You never know, I did use it in every Classic this year.
Eerily similar to my own Arbok, but I never use mine.

For Sandslash, I'm running Safeguard, Knock Off, Bulldoze and Poison Jab, with a boring 252/252 spread and a a Life Orb. He really only has 2 jobs, save me from Smeargle, and Knock Off Mental Herbs so Crobat can Taunt Cress before TR goes up. Probably could use a better spread, but it's Sandslash so who cares.

I was using Clefairy and stealing Beat Up with Follow Me, but the teams offensive presence was garbage and I sacked it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)