XY Ubers Trying Ubers for the first time

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
I've played a lot of matches in the main tiers (NU, RU, UU, OU) except Ubers. So I was thinking of making an Ubers team

I started my Ubers team with one of my favorite OU pokemon

I always like to have many offensive powerhouses on my team

After a few games I figured out that Scolipede can't do what he can do in OU: Set up every game and BP a high attack/defense. So I switched him to another lead I like

I figured out I need some defense in my team and after a few changes it brought me to Chansey

Another defensive pokemon helped me to defeat fighting types, Mega-Gengar and Giratina

I faced a lot of Xerneas and Mega-Gengar so I decided to try them both and see why they were used so often. With Taunt on Mewtwo-X and defensive Chansey it is still hard to counter, but not impossible. So I decided to use it myself

After a few comments I decided to change Ferrothorn to Deoxys-D

Deoxys-Defense @ Red Card
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Thunder Wave
I think Deoxys-D is better than Deoxys-S for hazard lead / screens. Its speed isn't as high as Deoxys-S but because of his high def (both special and physical) he can set up SR and sometimes all of his spikes. Taunt is obvious to kill other leads and Thunder Wave is to annoy opponents when they outspeed me or when Deoxys-D has almost fainted.

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psystrike
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
Thanks to its high speed it can use Taunt before Xerneas can use Geomancy or Groudon can Dragon/Swords Dance. Psystrike is awesome because a lot of pokemon have lower defense than special defense. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast are mainly for coverage. Shadow Ball OHKOs Mega Gengar and Focus Blast OHKOs Chansey if it has low defense investment.

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Water Sprout
- Surf
- Ice Beam
This is pretty much the standard moveset for Kyogre. Water Sprout kills pretty much everything and Ice Beam is a nice coverage. Thunder never misses in rain which is great when the opponent is being annoying with minimize. However, Kyogre can't take big hits. For example:
Zekrom Bolt Strike and Xerneas Moonblast when +2 Sp. Atk. Thanks to Choice Scarf Kyogre is faster and OHKOs them.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 72 HP, 184 Def, 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
72 HP and 252 SpD gives Xerneas only a 25% chance to 2HKO when at +2 Sp. Atk. The moveset is pretty usual. When it is burned, poisoned or anything like that I usually use wish and switch out to remove the status and heal one of my other pokemon. Chansey's high HP + Sp. Def is just amazing for this tier

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Calm Mind
- Judgment
84 Speed and Timid Nature helps Arceus to outrun max speed Xerneas and other threats. Ghost-Judgment kills some pokemon that can kill my team and because of Arceus' high HP and SpD its main task is to kill some threats like Xerneas, Ho-Oh and Kyogre. It still needs to do 3 hits on Kyogre and Xerneas, but because of Recover it is often no problem. I don't use Defog much, only when my entry hazards are spinned and I am the only one with hazards
edit: Thanks to Aenonar for the new EV spread. I've not tested it yet but I will use it later

Xerneas @ Power Herb
Ability: Fairy Aura
EVs: 252 SpA, 120 Spe, 32 Def, 104 hp
Modest Nature
- Geomancy
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- HP Fire
I found a lot of different EVs spreads for Xerneas and in the end I used the spread a friend told me. Geomancy is what makes Xerneas so strong. Moonblast is STAB, 1.33x damage and with Geomancy unbeatable if you're not fire, steel or poison. Psyshock is mainly to kill Arceus-Poison and HP Fire helps killing Mega Scizor and Skarmory. I decided not to go for Focus Blast because it always misses if I use it :P
edit: I changed the EV spread. Thanks for the new spread.

Thanks for reading this all. I appreciate any kind of thoughts and suggestions

Last edited:

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey SketchUp, welcome to the tier :]

First of all, I heavily dislike the Ferrothorn set. You're relying on Chansey to completely check Xerneas, which is a very, very bad idea - Chansey is downright crushed by Substitute Xerneas. Kyogre's rain support allows Ferrothorn to aid Chansey in beating Xerneas. Also, I highly dislike the idea of having a set lead outside of a Deoxys-Forme, Anti-lead or Scolipede - particularly one with no attacking moves. In Ferrothorn's case, not putting a 96 base Attack stat and a very useful typing to use is murderous.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Gyro Ball

I'd give it Rocky Helmet, because without that, this team it extraordinarily weak to Mega-Kangaskhan and Zekrom.

I'd recommend Fire Blast over Shadow Ball on Mega-Mewtwo-Y - in tandem with Psystrike and Focus Blast, it provides optimal coverage. Ice Beam is another option, but it is often sub-par.

Also, the Arceus-Ghost set is problematic. Max Speed Xerneas is only a threat in the lowest of the low ladder, and at least 96 is mandatory on all Arceus-Formes, to enable it to outspeed max speed Palkia. Not only that, but since you're using it as your primary EKiller check, it absolutely MUST have max Speed, to enable it to adequately check it or at the very least, force a speed tie. Also, it doesn't need to have Defog - while it's always nice to have some hazard control in your favor, your team really isn't that prone to residual hazard damage. As such, I'd recommend this Arceus-Ghost set.

Arceus-Ghost @ Spooky Plate
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Focus Blast
- Judgment

Also, if you don't want to run Focus Blast, you could also go for a Calm Mind mono-attacking Judgment set, but set up sparingly, especially if you're aware of a normal-type on the opposing team that can beat it.

Overall, not a bad team for your first go. Welcome to the tier :]

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
Hello there, welcome to the best tier, your team looks solid even though this is your first team, there are still some changes you can make in order to make your team even better, so I'll start now

Firstly, I'd like to suggest you to change your xerneas's evs, use 252 sp.atk, 120 speed, 32 def, 104 hp with modest nature. after geomancy with 120 speed your xerneas will outspeed mewtwo even if webs are up. With these 32 evs when genesect comes in it will raise its sp.atk which will help you a lot in setting up.

(Also use modest nature on kyogre)
Secondly, I suggest you to use these evs on ghostceus 252 hp and 252 speed with jolly nature, and as aenonar explained above why to use these evs.

Thirdly, I suggest you to use heal bell/aromatherapy instead of wish on chansey, heal bell is very useful if your scarfer gets paralysed or any other mon gets paralysed, burned etc and since you have soft boiled I dont think there is need for wish.

And lastly, use fire blast instead of shadow ball on mewtwo-y, also one more important thing, (I always use aura sphere instead of focus blast because of the terrible accuracy). You should also try using ice beam instead of focus blast/aura sphere sometime, it works well on mewtwo-y.

Good luck!

Okay, I'll have to agree with Aenonar about your Ferrothorn. The set is really bad (not gonna lie) especially because it's completely stopped by lead Deoxys-S with Taunt. But if you really want to use a designated lead, I'd suggest using Focus Sash Scolipede instead, as it can potentially OHKO lead Deoxys-S who try to Taunt it expecting it to set up spikes or something. Also, you can run endeavor to knock potential threats down to 1 HP after you lose your sash so you can revenge kill them afterward. Here's what I'm thinking of:

Scolipede @ Focus Sash
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes
- Endeavor
- Pin Missile

Minor Changes:

You've far too many special attackers on your team. After Mewtwo dies, the pink blobs will have a field day. Maybe you could use Mega Mawile to potentially check Mega Gengar with Sucker Punch since he can do a number on your team especially after Kyogre dies (Chansey can't touch it and everything else is at least 2HKO'd) :[

Also, you might want to change Defog -> Calm Mind on your Arceus-Ghost because it would be a shame for you to just whisk away all of your beautiful spikes and plus it powers you up! Why not use it?

Have fun in Ubers!

SketchUp

Thanks everyone for the recommendations. I think of switching Mewtwo-Y to another Mega, but an physical one
I was thinking of Mega Mawile (Iron Head kills fairies, Play Rough kills Dragons, Sucker Punch kills ghosts/physics) Mega Kangashkhan (Power-Up Punch, Return, Sucker Punch and EQ/Fake Out is just amazing) Mega Lucario (OHKOs Xerneas with the EV spread I use after one SD with Bullet Punch and OHKOs Offensive Kyogre with Close Comat (SD not even needed)
Can someone give me recommendations which one fits best in current Ubers meta?

Level 56

Faded memories
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 6th Grand Slam Winner
If i was in your place i would have gone with either Mega kangaskhan or mega lucario. Mega kangaskhan is easily one of the most powerful mega in the game thanks to its ability "parental bond", it can run ridiculously strong sets, and has amazing bulk. It can also somewhat check low health xerneas with fake out.

Evs: 252 atk and 252 speed with adamant nature.

Moveset: kangaskhan viable sets,

1: Fake out, return, low kick, crunch.

2: Fake out, return, sucker punch, earthquake..
If we talk about mega lucario, mega lucario is a decent stallbreaker and an OK xerneas check, and it also fits in this team.

Evs: 252 atk and 252 speed with jolly nature.

Moveset: there are many sets which lucario can use,
1: close combat, swords dance, bullet punch, iron tail.

2: close combat, bullet punch, stone egde, ice punch/earthqauke/swords dance.

The best thing for you to do here is to make two teams, one with mega kangaskhan and the other with mega lucario. You'll figure out, with which mega your team fuctions well.

Good luck!

Heya SketchUp, nice team! First of all, not be disrespectful to other raters, but I feel the team is going in the wrong direction. Using Deoxys-Defensive is usually a bad idea. It adds little in terms of synergy and isn't too great of a hazard setter is is generally bad in ubers. Ferrothorn was a much better pick. So first off, I guess: use Ferrothorn and not Deo-D. I'm going to rate the team as if it has Ferrothorn as it is the much better option. The set you had before wasn't optimal (I think), I'm going to suggest a better set. Ferro serves an important role on the team, it checks Xerneas (with the help of Kyogre, I'll address this next) among a bunch of other stuff.

• Oh and another thing, I tried to make your an offensive archetype, but not hyper offense. From what you described in the teambuilding process it seemed like you were shooting for a strong offensive team that would still be able to switch into some threats on the opponents side, so I tried to keep the team in the style/archetype you wanted to. Anyway, here is the Ferrothorn set. I gave it Protect over Toxic because support arceus wouldn't be the biggest issue for the team (because of my next change) and Protect gives it much needed longevity as you will also be relying on Ferrothorn to check things like Zekrom. Protect can help you scout and gain more health with leech seed. I gave it Stealth Rock to provide the team with hazards.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Stealth Rock

• When I said I'd address Kyogre next, I would suggest you change it to specially defensive Kyogre. This may seem like a very defensive mon, much less offensive than your current Kyogre set but it would help your team out a ton. Kyogre is a very bulky pokemon and it can switch into some of the stuff that could give the rest of your team problems otherwise like Palkia (Palkia in rain especially is a problem), Darkrai and Support Arceus among other things.. Kyogre is also a check to Xerneas, but more importantly, it provides rain support for Ferrothorn. In the rain, Xerneas' Hidden Power Fire will do much less damage to Ferrothorn, and Ferrothorn can also wall a burnt Extremekiller Arceus much better as it does not have to fear a fire type coverage move.

Kyogre @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Roar
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

• Now you have a solid core to work with that glues the team together very nicely. These pokemon can deal with a bunch of threats. However a issue this team has is that it has too little physically offensive presence and it can also have a hard time revenging pokemon, and the team could also use a good way to check ho-oh. Chansey usually isn't too great on a offensive team like this, it kills your offensive momentum and should be trying to kill the opponents pokemon rather than try to out-stall them. Chansey also doesn't add a whole lot of defensive synergy to the team as Kyogre+Ferrothorn check enough threats good enough. To fix these issues, or at least help adressing them, you should use a Choice Scarf Zekrom over Chansey because or the reasons I stated before. This is the set I recommend:

Zekrom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Outrage
- Volt Switch
- Draco Meteor

• This is about as much as I feel comfortable with changing. I changed the moveset of Ferrothorn, the role Kyogre plays as a whole and swapped Zekrom>Chansey. The next change is one I would absolutely make if I had to use the team myself, but its would change a bit too much I feel. Foul Play Yveltal>Mewtwo is what I am talking about. Getting rid of Mewtwo would make the team look more differently, but I had this change in mind while writing the rest of the rate as it just fits well on the team. CM Arceus Ghost can burn Arceus, but this is the mon you will use to finish it off. Killing off Arceus isn't its only role though. Yveltal is a powerful special attacker that will fit the team very nice, better than Mewtwo in my opinion. Because of its strong sucker punch it can revenge kill better, and hit a lot of team hard with its strong stab moves. Its Foul Play is especially nice though (yes I've tested this, if the opponent is burned foul play does not do half the damage, Joryn :D). However if you make this change you become more stall-weak, so it's a toss up between what you want to beat. This is the Yveltal set:

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 68 Def / 216 SpA / 224 Spe
Rash Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

So thats it! I tried to keep the team similar as I could to the one you originally while still improving it in a way you would like it. Hope I helped :) good luck with the team!

SketchUp

Thanks for your comments. Because I'm pretty new to Ubers I'll try every change you've suggested and see which one works best. After a few battles I'm happy about defensive Kyogre and Zekrom. Kyogre is very nice against other offensive pokemon. The mega: I think Mega-Lucario fits perfect in Ubers. It is a counter to many threats. I decided not to use Yveltal because I don't really like playing with her. At the moment my team is:
Xerneas and Arceus-Ghost with the EV Spread and moveset as listed above
Mega Lucario with Level 56's moveset (thanks for that)
Defensive Kyogre and Zekrom (thanks ApplepieFTW)
Only thing I am not sure is Ferrothorn and Deoxys-D. The fact that Deoxys-D can use Taunt is very nice vs. other leads. Only Mega-Gengar, Deoxys-Speed and Scolipede leads outspeed it. And only Deoxys-S and Mega-Gengar can use Taunt before I can. Ferrothorn has bigger chances to heavily damage or defeat at least 1 pokémon with Gyro Ball and Leech Seed. At the moment I'm trying them both out

Thanks for your comments. Because I'm pretty new to Ubers I'll try every change you've suggested and see which one works best. After a few battles I'm happy about defensive Kyogre and Zekrom. Kyogre is very nice against other offensive pokemon. The mega: I think Mega-Lucario fits perfect in Ubers. It is a counter to many threats. I decided not to use Yveltal because I don't really like playing with her. At the moment my team is:
Xerneas and Arceus-Ghost with the EV Spread and moveset as listed above
Mega Lucario with Level 56's moveset (thanks for that)
Defensive Kyogre and Zekrom (thanks ApplepieFTW)
Only thing I am not sure is Ferrothorn and Deoxys-D. The fact that Deoxys-D can use Taunt is very nice vs. other leads. Only Mega-Gengar, Deoxys-Speed and Scolipede leads outspeed it. And only Deoxys-S and Mega-Gengar can use Taunt before I can. Ferrothorn has bigger chances to heavily damage or defeat at least 1 pokémon with Gyro Ball and Leech Seed. At the moment I'm trying them both out
It is important to know that Ferrothorn and Deoxys do entirely different things. Deoxys is a suicide hazard lead, suicide leads are usually only used on hyper offense. From your building process it appeared to me that you you would rather have a offensive team with some balanced elements, Ferrothorn fits very well. If you really like the idea of a dedicated hazards lead, I think you should use deoxys-s, but a suicide lead would fit better on a different team. I actually have never tried deo-d myself, but I fear that the hazards it provides can too easily be defogged away because of the nature of the team. I don't think using Deoxys over Ferrothorn would make the team better, I wouldn't use it myself on a team like this, but if you like it on the team feel free to use it. Ferrothorn provides much more utility though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)