Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Facade
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Rock Slide

Hariyama is not really meant to be a bulky Pokemon in this team. His only purpose is sweeping. Guts and Flame orb to maximize his damage. First turn, fake out the pokemon that poses most threat to Slowbro. Even if there's something that will probably one shot Hariyama itself. Once trick room is up, just sweep. Use close combat if there's something that could be a threat, facade on anything that could die from it (when you want to kill something but not with the defensive consequences that Close Combat gives off), and rock slide if there's anything that it'll be super effective on, just so you get some damage on the other Pokemon as well. Works great for MegaZardY and Talonflame, of course.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 244 HP / 156 SpA / 108 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Protect

The main trick room setter. Leftovers to try and survive as long as possible. His only threat is a OHKO, which I've not yet run into, (due to Hariyama's Fake Out), Prankster, and fake out. After trick room is up, he can either attack with scald or Psyshock, both strong moves, since they both have stab and the same power, I just look for who I'm attacking, and figure out whether their defense or special defense is weaker. Of course, if special defense is weaker, scald, if defense, psyshock. Protect if there's someone who can inflict significant damage, so Hariyama can take him out. Also, if you can tell that it's going to be a long match, try and keep Slowbro alive for another trick room.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Iron Head
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Mawile is my Mega of choice, as she is quite slow, and can pack quite a punch. Because of trick room, it usually moves first, and if not, second after whoever else if on this team (unless there's a really slow pokemon on the other team). Iron head and play rough both for stab, and sucker punch because sucker punch. This is typically the most used moveset on a Mawile anyway. Protect if there's a threat, or if you just want to Mega Evolve while using protect to be safe. Or if Slowbro is still alive, try and pull off a trick room and have Mawile protect just in case.

Golurk @ Assault Vest
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Dynamic Punch
- Stone Edge
- Shadow Punch (?)
- Hammer Arm (?)

So, use your imagination on this one. Just picture a Semi-truck going about 300 miles an hour straight toward you. And you can't get out of the way. That's pretty much what Golurk is. An Assault Vest just because he has no non-attacking moves, and provides more defense. With No Guard, none of his moves ever miss, and especially during trick room, he goes fast and hits hard. Dynamic Punch because it probably benefits most, and forces confusion. Stone Edge for coverage, high crit rate and never misses. Shadow Punch for stab and coverage, I've debated on Phantom Force, but I think it's not worth, since it'll be pretty easy to predict since it's a 2 turn move. Hammer arm if there's a pokemon that will obviously die from it, and it lowers his speed, where in trick room, it makes him faster. I've debated most on Hammer arm, as I couldn't really think of anything else that he really benefits from. EQ was considered, but if he's next to Hariyama (who probably won't be alive at this point), or Cloyster, they're going to die. Slowbro and Mawile have protect, and Gengar has levitate. If you can think of any other moves for it, that'd be great.

Cloyster @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Rock Blast
- Razor Shell

For when trick room runs out and Slowbro is gone. He's a good sweeper, has Choice Scarf to outspeed others, and provides pretty good coverage that other pokemon didn't have. Ice shard just in case there's something way faster than it, but low on health. Icicle Spear for stab and coverage, always hits 5 times because of skill link. Rock blast for rock type coverage, and again, always hits 5 times. Razor Shell for water type coverage, stab, and the possibility to lower defense.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Confuse Ray
- Protect

A pretty debated on pokemon, decided on him because he's fast and good for cleaning up at the end. Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb for stab and my only poison move, confuse ray because he's fast and can be a pain to deal with, and protect just because he's just not a bulky pokemon. Has Focus Sash because again, he just can't take a hit. Again, a very debated on closer, up to suggestions.

Try using will-o-wisp over Confuse Ray on Gengar. It's a great way to deal with physical attacks and doesn't have to rely on coinflips as much. Another option is Trick Room, I know it sounds crazy on a mon with base 110 speed but since your team has a trick room mode it could work well and a lot of people won't expect Gengar as a back up TR setter. Overall though, I think will o is the most reliable move for that slot.

On Hariyama, I would use Knock Off over Rock Slide. Dark Typing covers a lot of things that resist Fighting and knocking off a mons item can help out a lot.

shaian

you love to see it
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would actually disagree with Knock Off over Rock Slide at an initial glance, as without that your team is just Mega Charizard Y fodder, with no true answers bar Choice Scarf Cloyster, which isn't even a particularly good option if it's locked into a move besides Rock Blast, and if it is locked into Rock Blast, is now going to be using a sub-optimal move against common Zard partners. I guess that main issue is that this team needs a considerable makeover as in its current state it has a ton of major holes in it to common team builds. Some notable issues that I see right now are:

1. A weakness to Amoonguss with no way of circumventing it, which is absolutely a must for Trick Room builds. Usually teams get around this with Safety Goggles, Safeguard, or a slower TR sweeper like Camerupt

2. Hydreigon dismantles about half your team, and can easily wear out the other half; Mawile and Hariyama can take it on under Trick Room but if Hydreigon has a redirection partner it more or less 6-0's you

3. Weak to both Rain and Sun; Ludicolo Rain (the most common type) quickly goes through your team and Ludicolo itself can nearly OHKO almost every mon on your team, could probably OHKO all of it with a Helping Hand Politoed next to it. I've already mentioned the Zard Y issue, and if the Zard has a Venusaur partner (probably the most common Zard Y partner), Sun could probably win at turn 1

I'll give this a proper rate later, but these are just some areas I think you need to address for now.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Going from what Shaian said, I agree the team needs a rework. I'll provide an importable of the changes at the bottom for ease of transfer.

Hariyama is actually ok, the only change I'd make would be swapping Facade to some other form of coverage. Facade is ok, but not always ideal. I would normally suggest trying Scrafty, but dual intimidate would make Bisharp more of an issue.

Slowbro is outclassed as a Psychic Trick Room setter by Safety Goggles Cresselia. Not being able to be Taunted is nice, but you will run into trouble eventually. Calm Mind turns Cress into a great set up sweeper, and takes the attention away from your partners while they do damage. The combo of Calm Mind and Moonlight allows Cress to set Trick Room many times throughout the game.

The Mawile set is fine, some things to consider are Swords Dance or Knock Off over Iron Head. Knock Off allows you to hit things like Follow Me Jirachi for massive damage, as well as have some offence vs Steels without requiring them to attack. Swords Dance turns Mawile into an insanely powerful attacker and there isn't much that can take a +2 Play Rough that doesn't resist it.

Golurk is really bad in doubles. I'd change your Ghost type to another Trick Room setter to allow your team to take advantage of it more. Chandelure gives you a Fire immunity, as well as a Trick Room setter immune to Fake Out. Heat Wave can beat the Steels that Mawile doesn't like and Shadow Ball is a decently powerful STAB move.

Cloyster is also pretty bad. Seeing as you have 2 Pokemon that don't like to be intimidated, I'd suggest Milotic over Cloyster. Competitive gives you a free +2 boost to SpA for any stat drop that your opponent inflicts on you. Milotic is sometimes underwhelming without the boost though.

Lastly I'd swap Gengar for either Amoonguss or Hydreigon. Amoonguss gives you redirection and Spore, allowing you to cause more damage with your attackers, however leaves you a little open to Heatran / Aegislash. Knock Off on Mawile would help this problem more. Hydreigon helps alot with Heatran, and also gives you some nice resistances.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Protect

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 212 HP / 140 Def / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover / Safeguard
- Protect

Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Iron Head / Swords Dance / Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Pudding Time (Cresselia) @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Paddle Of Rebuke (Amoonguss) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Or

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect

Going from what Shaian said, I agree the team needs a rework. I'll provide an importable of the changes at the bottom for ease of transfer.

Hariyama is actually ok, the only change I'd make would be swapping Facade to some other form of coverage. Facade is ok, but not always ideal. I would normally suggest trying Scrafty, but dual intimidate would make Bisharp more of an issue.

Slowbro is outclassed as a Psychic Trick Room setter by Safety Goggles Cresselia. Not being able to be Taunted is nice, but you will run into trouble eventually. Calm Mind turns Cress into a great set up sweeper, and takes the attention away from your partners while they do damage. The combo of Calm Mind and Moonlight allows Cress to set Trick Room many times throughout the game.

The Mawile set is fine, some things to consider are Swords Dance or Knock Off over Iron Head. Knock Off allows you to hit things like Follow Me Jirachi for massive damage, as well as have some offence vs Steels without requiring them to attack. Swords Dance turns Mawile into an insanely powerful attacker and there isn't much that can take a +2 Play Rough that doesn't resist it.

Golurk is really bad in doubles. I'd change your Ghost type to another Trick Room setter to allow your team to take advantage of it more. Chandelure gives you a Fire immunity, as well as a Trick Room setter immune to Fake Out. Heat Wave can beat the Steels that Mawile doesn't like and Shadow Ball is a decently powerful STAB move.

Cloyster is also pretty bad. Seeing as you have 2 Pokemon that don't like to be intimidated, I'd suggest Milotic over Cloyster. Competitive gives you a free +2 boost to SpA for any stat drop that your opponent inflicts on you. Milotic is sometimes underwhelming without the boost though.

Lastly I'd swap Gengar for either Amoonguss or Hydreigon. Amoonguss gives you redirection and Spore, allowing you to cause more damage with your attackers, however leaves you a little open to Heatran / Aegislash. Knock Off on Mawile would help this problem more. Hydreigon helps alot with Heatran, and also gives you some nice resistances.

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge / Ice Punch / Protect

Milotic @ Leftovers
EVs: 212 HP / 140 Def / 156 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Recover / Safeguard
- Protect

Mawile @ Mawilite
Brave Nature
- Iron Head / Swords Dance / Knock Off
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect

Pudding Time (Cresselia) @ Safety Goggles
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

Chandelure @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Trick Room
- Protect

Paddle Of Rebuke (Amoonguss) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Protect
- Giga Drain

Or

Hydreigon @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- Protect
Debating on Knock Off over facade.. only have facade because Burn doubles the power, and then there's Guts, so really it's usually a OHKO to anyone that it's neutrally effect against, unless they have really high defenses.

I've actually used a Cresselia before instead, but since Trick Room is such a low priority move, I would typically get taunted turn 1. Like, more than you'd think. Slowbro has ultimately proven much more reliable, but I don't think my previous Cresselia was so tanky, so I'll give it a shot.

I like Iron Head on Mawile as it's the only steel type move on my team. If I change either rock slide or facade to knock off on Hariyama, could Mawile keep the Iron Head? I hate that play rough only has 90%, because I know that with my luck, it'll miss when I need it most.

May I ask why Golurk is so poor in doubles? I'll make a copy of this team, and attempt with the pokemon you suggested, but I don't understand why Golurk is such a poor choice. His moves never miss, Dynamic Punch destroys and, if the opponent survives, they're guaranteed confusion. Another problem with Chandelure.. it's very fragile, and if it's a second trick room setter, it could quite possibly not pull of the trick room at all, as it's the last move to come out in most situations (I think its priority is -6).

Cloyster is pretty good at cleaning up.. if I need to, I will sometimes switch him out during the end game (3, maybe 4 pokemon left) so that he's not locked into one move. Milotic seems like a really weird option.. I've never really used one, but I've never been given legitimate troubles by an opposing Milotic before, so I don't really see any threats it gives. Especially with not having any stat boosts (unless her ability kicks in).

The point of Gengar is really just for when there's no more trick room, so I don't have a ton of slow pokemon that are totally vulnerable to the attackers. Assuming I can somehow keep trick room going through the whole game, I would definitely consider Hydreigon, as my team always has a little bit of trouble with opposing Heatrans, if it's not thrown out first against Hariyama, or taken out by an unexpected DynamicPunch by Golurk. This is why I probably wouldn't take Amoongus.

I'll use your team that you recommended and post a replay or two of it here so you could see what I did wrong, if I played poorly in some cases. As for options that you gave me on the team you revised, I would take Protect on Hariyama, Recover on Milotic, Iron Head on Mawile, and Hydreigon. I'll have a replay up in a few minutes.

SpaceBass

☆ALOLA VERA420: FUKK AMOONGUS AND UR MOM
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Knock Off is used on Hariyama because Close Combat can't hit Ghosts, its a coverage option.

Fake Out lead is preferred with Cresselia as it can Fake Out the Taunt user.

The slashes are just options. You can use whichever of them you prefer, I was simply listing them to show you what options are viable.

The deal with Golurk is its weak to common attacking types in Dark, Ghost, Grass, Ice and Water. While it may not seem like a bad choice, its because there are stronger Pokemon which share a type and role. Chandelure has a Focus Sash, so it can live any hit and get Trick Room up when coupled with a Fake Out lead.

Cloyster has very poor SpD, and doubles is a very specially oriented metagame. Being choice locked would be detrimental as it won't always be able to handle both mons on the field.

Dual setters and a Fake Out partner make keeping Trick Room up quite achievable in most games, once you try the changes I'm sure you'll understand why the mons I said were outclassed, are that way.

I played my first game with that set, and just forfeited out of utter humiliation and a lack of motivation to continue. Probably was a mistake not to save it, in hindsight, but here's pretty much what happened that killed this team. To start, it was my Hariyama and Cresselia next to his Darkrai and Cresselia.

They also had a Cresselia, first turn it used Calm Mind. I used fake out on Darkrai to prevent sleep or a dark type attack on Cresselia, but it switched to Scrafty, and my Cresselia used trick room. Second turn my Cresselia used calm mind, Scrafty used Fake out on my Hariyama. his Cresselia used trick room, cancelling the effect. Third turn, I tried to hit Scrafty with Hariyama's Close Combat, but his Cresslia OHKO'd it with Psychic. My Cresslia used trick room again (its only attacking move couldn't hit Scraggy because of its dark type), pretty sure his Scraggy just used some dark type move on my Cresselia or something not worth mentioning like that... Fourth turn, I sent out Hydreigon, in an attempt to take out his Cresselia, as Chandelure's Shadow Ball was the only other super effective move (besides for Mawile and Sucker Punch, but his Cresselia attacking wasn't guaranteed). My Cresselia used Calm mind again (nothing better to do, her health wasn't even halfway from a supereffective Scraggy attack I mentioned earlier, so no need to heal, attacking would be pointless), Hydreigon used Dark Pulse on his Cresselia, and it did about 23% damage. His Scraggy used drain punch on my Hydreigon, knocking it down to 48% health, and his Cresselia cancelled trick room again. That's where I forfeited.

Edit: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-237860158
It seems as if this player benefited more from the trick room than I did. Chandelure and Milotic are too fast for a trick room, in my opinion. Here are some obvious things I did wrong:

Turn 4, Cresselia is too fast to get a second Psyshock on Amoongus. I should have tried to use protect with Mawile, but instead, tried to Iron Head Aromatise in one shot. (If Mawile didn't have Iron head, Aromatise would be a pain to take out).

Turn 5, Got lucky with Mawile waking up so quickly to pull off a protect, but Cresselia was too fast (too slow, in trick room) to do anything before the opposing pokemon took her out. Not really a mistake, just nothing I could really do...

Turn 6, maybe should have took out Eleketross first?

Turn 7, Conkeldurr out sped both of my pokemon in trick room...

Turn 8, Maybe should have took out Eleketross instead??

Turn 9, Hydreigon just got one shotted. And was TOO SLOW in trick room (all of the pokemon you've suggested besides Amoongus are too slow in the trick room).

Pretty sure the rest of the match on, I couldn't have played any better. Opinions on the outcome, sir?

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-237865719
Easily trashed a MegaZardY & Venusaur combo, and eventually just forced a forfeit. This was done just a few minutes ago.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesoususpecttest-237867324
Although I made a few mistakes, I still won. When Hariyama and his Rock Slide were gone, Golurk easily cleaned up. That Ferrothorn sure was annoying though...

Last edited:
There are some other changes that definitely need to be made to this team (Amoonguss counters is big) but I'm just going to go in depth for one change: swap Slowbro. Slowbro seems like a good Trick Room setter at first glance, but it is outclassed as a bulky water TR setter by Jellicent, as a psychic type setter by cresselia, and as a Taunt immune setter by Aromatisse. Jellicent and Cresselia can also hold Mental Herb to avoid Taunt. Cresselia and Jellicent also both have access to non-rest recovery which I find really important for teams with only 1 Trick Room setter. Here are a couple of sets for each.
->

The 3 main reasons to swap to Cresselia for Slowbro are 1) It is bulkier with less weaknesses 2) it can be used as an Amoonguss counter 3) It makes for a great end game sweeper. Safety Goggles sets to ignore powder moves (Spore, Sleep Powder, Rage Powder, etc.) is great for completely stopping Amoonguss, but other Cresselia sets are more viable if you find you need a more immediately offensive Pokemon.

Cresselia (F) @ Safety Goggles
Relaxed Nature
IVs: NaN Atk / NaN Spe
- Psyshock
- Calm Mind
- Moonlight
- Trick Room

CM Cress is a great late game cleaner that sets up on Amoonguss and loads of other Pokemon. Max Defense investment is used because you increase your SAtk and SDef with Calm Mind boosts. Make sure to heal up with Moonlight before Trick Room ends so that you can take a hit when you set Trick Room. Watch out for Bisharp, Aegislash, Shaymin-Sky, Mega Kangaskhan, and all other Dark types which you cannot hit.

Cresselia (F) @ Mental Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 168 SpA / 76 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD / NaN Spe
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Trick Room

A little more unconventional; offensive Cresselia can be used to get around Pokemon that normally aren't afraid of Cresselia. Ice Beam is mainly for Landorus-T and Shaymin Sky, while Hidden Power Ground is used to 2HKO non Shuca Berry Heatran. The EV spread OHKOs 44 HP Landorus-T with Ice Beam and always survives a Bisharp Knock Off.

->

Jellicent is great because its ghost typing gives it an immunity to Fake Out, and it still keeps the water typing that Slowbro has. Jellicent can also viably use Mental Herb to get around 1 Taunt. Jellicent also packs Will-O-Wisp which can be amazingly helpful.

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: NaN Atk / NaN Spe
- Trick Room
- Scald / Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam / Will-O-Wisp
- Protect / Recover

Lots of options here, but the water move you choose will dictate the rest of the set for the most part. If you go with Scald, choose Ice Beam for the next slot because WoW would be redundant. If you use Hydro Pump, you can still go with Ice Beam, but using WoW lets you bother Kangaskhan a lot more. Recover and Protect is up to personal preference but on this set I prefer Protect. The EV spread survives a Life Orb Dark Pulse from Modest Hydreigon with the rest into SAtk. Shadow Ball kinda sucks (WoW is better for wearing down opposing Cresselia) so I left it out, but if you absolutely need ghost STAB I suppose you can use it.

Jellicent @ Sitrus Berry / Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 228 SpA / 28 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Trick Room
- Water Spout
- Ice Beam / Shadow Ball
- Recover

On the offensive Water Spout set you use as much recovery as possible. Sitrus / Leftys for the item to regain HP and Recover over Protect; all to maintain Water Spout power. Shadow Ball is still bad but more usable on the offensive set where it doesn't compete with Will O Wisp for a moveslot.
The only reason I really despise Cresselia is for the reasons listed in my previous post, along with my games I played in where I just utterly failed using the Cresselia. I've used a Jellicent before, and really liked the fake out immunity, however, I always ran into either a taunter or a spore-type user. Amoongus honestly is never a threat to my team, slowbro takes him out pretty quickly with psyshock, Hariyama's facade is a guaranteed 2KO, which together, would take out Amoongus in one turn. DynamicPunch from Golurk can confuse, Gengar can burn or confuse (depending on when I make up my mind with will-o or confuse ray), Cloyster has Icicle Spear, and other counters to it. As long as I can stop one from setting up a double leech seed if it has protect, he's never a big threat.

And if everyone is talking about what a big threat amoongus is, why is no one recommending him for this team?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I think somebody recommended it at least once

Anyway I don't think that battle was a result of a poor team - you just got outplayed. The first loss to CM Cress is always the hardest :(

I like the semi-TR feel your team had originally; in fact I think a fast mode is more beneficial in the long run than the full TR everyone else seems to be recommending. If you'll give me a few hours from the time of this post, I can give a few suggestions to the team that reflect the original nature.

EDIT: here we go!

I think the Hariyama / Cresselia / Mawile TR mode is solid, especially with Swords Dance Mawile and Calm Mind Cresselia providing heavy pressure. I think Hariyama's usefulness could be stretched a bit further with the addition of Wide Guard, which gives you a last-resort answer to Sylveon and Mega Charizard Y. Knock Off over Rock Slide is also a good choice given some of the other changes I'd like to suggest, although Facade can go in either slot.

I understand you're pretty attached to the original team, and I've changed the last three Pokémon entirely. If you don't like the changes, I understand (although Golurk and Cloyster in this metagame are a little...iffy).

For my first suggestion I'd like to add bulky Landorus-Therian. It gives you a solid answer to Talonflame (which your team lacked, as Slowbro can't switch in well) and a backup check to Mega Kangaskhan, as well as being a sturdier check to general physical attackers than Golurk or a Scarf Lando-T. Its slow U-turn works very well with Cresselia's Trick Room, letting you get Mawile or Hariyama onto the field relatively safely on the same turn Cress sets TR. If you feel that the addition of Lando-T makes Bisharp much harder to manage, you can replace Mawile's Intimidate with Hyper Cutter, which prevents opposing Intimidate users from raining on your parade for a turn.

In place of Cloyster, I'd like to suggest offensive Milotic. You said before you felt it was "too slow" for Trick Room, but on a semi-TR build (and without some garbage bulky Scald set) it works much better! Milotic complements the heavily physical-based nature of your team with a powerful Hydro Pump and Competitive, which turns an opponent's Intimidate into a near liability. It also provides the Ice coverage you had with Cloyster, except with the potential to be even more powerful. Recover in the last slot complements the Life Orb, allowing Milotic to stick around when it's needed and take a few extra hits. Unfortunately I can't remember the offensive Milotic EV spread I like using, but max HP and max SpA should at least temporarily suit your needs.

In the final team slot, I feel that the team needs a solid answer to Amoonguss. While Goggles Cresselia is a good way to get around Amoonguss, Cress is also your only Trick Room setter and a blanket check to multiple big threats, meaning Cress can get worn down. Your team also lacks a definitive "fast mode" sort of Pokémon. I think you had the right idea with a fast special attacker like Gengar, so I'm going to take that a step further and suggest Shaymin-Sky. Skymin is a brutally effective special attacker. Seed Flare has an 80% chance to drop the opponent's Special Defense (factoring in Serene Grace) backed by base 120 power, which is stronger than anything Gengar can muster up. Skymin also has a terrifying >50% chance to flinch its target with Air Slash, which is why it can be so effective. It also carries a nice Water resistance in a pinch.

Included below are the changes I've suggested. Some sets have slashes, where more than one move or ability can work. Whether you choose to use them or not is entirely up to you. Regardless of your decision, I wish you the best of luck!

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Knock Off / Facade
- Wide Guard / Facade

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
Brave Nature
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 132 Def / 80 SpD
Adamant / Brave Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Milotic @ Life Orb
Modest / Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power

Last edited:
I think somebody recommended it at least once

Anyway I don't think that battle was a result of a poor team - you just got outplayed. The first loss to CM Cress is always the hardest :(

I like the semi-TR feel your team had originally; in fact I think a fast mode is more beneficial in the long run than the full TR everyone else seems to be recommending. If you'll give me a few hours from the time of this post, I can give a few suggestions to the team that reflect the original nature.

EDIT: here we go!

I think the Hariyama / Cresselia / Mawile TR mode is solid, especially with Swords Dance Mawile and Calm Mind Cresselia providing heavy pressure. I think Hariyama's usefulness could be stretched a bit further with the addition of Wide Guard, which gives you a last-resort answer to Sylveon and Mega Charizard Y. Knock Off over Rock Slide is also a good choice given some of the other changes I'd like to suggest, although Facade can go in either slot.

I understand you're pretty attached to the original team, and I've changed the last three Pokémon entirely. If you don't like the changes, I understand (although Golurk and Cloyster in this metagame are a little...iffy).

For my first suggestion I'd like to add bulky Landorus-Therian. It gives you a solid answer to Talonflame (which your team lacked, as Slowbro can't switch in well) and a backup check to Mega Kangaskhan, as well as being a sturdier check to general physical attackers than Golurk or a Scarf Lando-T. Its slow U-turn works very well with Cresselia's Trick Room, letting you get Mawile or Hariyama onto the field relatively safely on the same turn Cress sets TR. If you feel that the addition of Lando-T makes Bisharp much harder to manage, you can replace Mawile's Intimidate with Hyper Cutter, which prevents opposing Intimidate users from raining on your parade for a turn.

In place of Cloyster, I'd like to suggest offensive Milotic. You said before you felt it was "too slow" for Trick Room, but on a semi-TR build (and without some garbage bulky Scald set) it works much better! Milotic complements the heavily physical-based nature of your team with a powerful Hydro Pump and Competitive, which turns an opponent's Intimidate into a near liability. It also provides the Ice coverage you had with Cloyster, except with the potential to be even more powerful. Recover in the last slot complements the Life Orb, allowing Milotic to stick around when it's needed and take a few extra hits. Unfortunately I can't remember the offensive Milotic EV spread I like using, but max HP and max SpA should at least temporarily suit your needs.

In the final team slot, I feel that the team needs a solid answer to Amoonguss. While Goggles Cresselia is a good way to get around Amoonguss, Cress is also your only Trick Room setter and a blanket check to multiple big threats, meaning Cress can get worn down. Your team also lacks a definitive "fast mode" sort of Pokémon. I think you had the right idea with a fast special attacker like Gengar, so I'm going to take that a step further and suggest Shaymin-Sky. Skymin is a brutally effective special attacker. Seed Flare has an 80% chance to drop the opponent's Special Defense (factoring in Serene Grace) backed by base 120 power, which is stronger than anything Gengar can muster up. Skymin also has a terrifying >50% chance to flinch its target with Air Slash, which is why it can be so effective. It also carries a nice Water resistance in a pinch.

Included below are the changes I've suggested. Some sets have slashes, where more than one move or ability can work. Whether you choose to use them or not is entirely up to you. Regardless of your decision, I wish you the best of luck!

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Brave Nature
- Close Combat
- Fake Out
- Knock Off / Facade
- Wide Guard / Facade

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Trick Room
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate / Hyper Cutter
Brave Nature
- Protect
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 48 Atk / 132 Def / 80 SpD
Adamant / Brave Nature
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Milotic @ Life Orb
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Shaymin-Sky @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
To be honest, this team looks pretty great. I'm going to try to find someone who would be willing to play friendlies though, as the last time I tried a suggested TR team as opposed to my own, my rating dropped about 80. I'm currently 62nd on the ladder for doubles ou, and I wanna keep it that way. I'll try and find someone who is fine with a non competitive match, and I'll let ya know how it works!

Edit: Do you think Milotic would do better with a weakness policy or nah?

Last edited:

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To be honest, this team looks pretty great. I'm going to try to find someone who would be willing to play friendlies though, as the last time I tried a suggested TR team as opposed to my own, my rating dropped about 80. I'm currently 62nd on the ladder for doubles ou, and I wanna keep it that way. I'll try and find someone who is fine with a non competitive match, and I'll let ya know how it works!

Edit: Do you think Milotic would do better with a weakness policy or nah?
As someone who plays a little more defensively than offensively (even my hyper offense has Suicune and Sub Heatran...), I've never been sold on Weakness Policy. Activating it once means you have to take a huge hit for your boost, and then as soon as you switch out it's gone. The only exception is Aegislash; Wide Guard Weakness Policy is a beautiful set.

Speaking of Milotic though, I found the EV spread I normally use:
Milotic @ Life Orb
EVs: 236 HP / 172 SpA / 44 SpD / 56 Spe
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover

It's unfortunately been so long since I made it that I don't remember what it is I wanted it to survive...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)