Gen 4 Trick Room Sand

Trick Room teams are my best teams in DPP. If I want to make a team quickly, I will often fallback to TR, and I've tried nearly every imaginable TR sweeper. I think TR gets a bad reputation because there are a lot of questionable TR teams out there: Honchkrow, Clamperl, Gravity. All of these are flawed.

This post will discuss a few teams centered around a core of three mons. Bronzong is the face of Trick Room in DPP. If you are running a TR team without Bronzong, don't. Tyranitar is the obvious partner here since this is about sand. Tyranitar covers the fire weakness for Bronzong and Bronzong covers ground for Tyranitar. Bronzong benefits from sand. Tyranitar, with its low base speed, is a natural recipient for Trick Room. I've ran some sandless TR teams, but the sand variants generally perform better.

The third mon to complete the holy trinity is Rhyperior. With proper EV investment and sand support, Rhyperior is a daunting mixed wall. With TR support, Rhyperior is as potent sweeper with excellent STAB coverage. I gravitate towards this team of three as a core and I think you can fill in the last three slots with any (reasonable) mons. Obviously a water weakness is an issue for Rhyperior, Tyranitar and Bronzong. A +1 Suicune for instance is a going to be very threatening.

Team 1: The Standard
Slowbro, Machamp, Rotom-Mow
https://pokepast.es/c7aa16d06c1a9ecc

This team is counter-offense. It runs Slowbro as a second TR setter and I find Slowbro is the second best TR setter after king Bronzong. Slowbro benefits from its own TRs immensely, it has immaculate coverage options with Surf, Psychic, Ice Beam, Grass Knot and Flamethrower. Also it provides a nearly perfect answer to Machamp which the main three all struggle with. Two TR setters means the team is aggressive and should run at least five slow to mid speed mons. This style of team will typically answer hyper offense teams handily and struggle with stall teams.

Team 2: Vaporeon Semi-Stall
Vaporeon, Skarmory, Rotom-Heat
https://pokepast.es/aac887b18d71e50c

This team only runs one TR setter. Vaporeon, Skarmory, Rotom form a defensive core with support from the main three. The plan is to develop entry hazards, phase opponents, and then finish with a Bronzong into Rhyperior sweep. Vaporeon addresses the water weakness as directly as possible. Its difficult to click a water move into Rhyperior when you know Vaporeon is waiting.

Team 3: Magnezone Physical Offense
Gyarados, Magnezone, Gliscor
https://pokepast.es/d403e792cb2792c6
This is another single TR team which run Gliscor as a lead instead of Tyranitar. This frees Tyranitar to run a band set. Magnezone runs specs. It serves to trap physical walls and acts as a special sweeper under a TR. Gliscor lead allows a bit more pivoting potential and helps with potentially awkward matchups that Tyranitar can face in the lead position. Gyarados is speed invested, but it isn't exactly fast compared to other things. With only one TR setter, its fine to have a couple mons on the team that are speed invested. That leaves room for play outside of a TR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)