ORAS Ubers Trapped!

Hello people, welcome to my first Ubers RMT. Let's have a quick look at the team members before going in detail:

Alright, now let's go into detail. I cannot remember the teambuilding process myself so we're gonna go to the explanations directly.

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

I wanted to build a team around Gengar. It becomes extremely strong after the Mega Evolution, as it has great special offensive stats. It can easily KO two things if it is switched in into the right Pokemon. Destiny Bond allows Gengar to KO an opponent if it tries to KO them, which becomes usable after Gengar has been weakened. Taunt can stop stall, and also prevent Pokemon such as MegaMence from setting up a DD / Substitute or P-Don from setting up Rocks / paralyzing Gengar. The combination of Focus Blast + Sludge Wave gives solid coverage against most typings, bar Ghost-types.

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Roost
- Whirlwind

You might have expected an offensive Ho-Oh here, but it's not. Physically defensive Ho-Oh has worked very well for me, especially because it beats most Ghost-types, which Mega Gengar fails to (It beats most Ghostceus 1v1, can burn / damage them with Sacred Fire, Roost off damage and eventually Whirlwind it out if it tries to set up) Brave Bird and Sacred Fire still do solid damage, regardless of no EVs into Attack. Sacred Fire is especially good as Ho-Oh lures in stuff such as Tyranitar and Mega Diancie, which it can burn with Sacred Fire. Roost helps Ho-Oh tank hits better and Whirlwind prevents opposing set up. The EV spread avoids the OHKO from a +2 Thunder from GeoXerneas.

(Have you started crying already?)

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
EVs: 212 HP / 120 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Latias is amazing in the metagame. Mainly because it counters the defensive variant of the biggest threat in the metagame, namely Primal-Groudon. It can Defog anyway any hazards, as Ho-Oh hates Stealth Rock and Gengar doesn't appreciate Spikes either. It can Roost back any dealt damage by opponents, and Psyshock and Draco Meteor are powerful attacks that come in handy when needing to hit opposing Latias/Latios, Rayquaza, and more.

Arceus @ Life Orb
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

No surprise. E-Killer. Extremely powerful after a Swords Dance and Life Orb powers up its attacks. Extreme Speed is a very powerful STAB attack, and has as reliable damaging move the highest priority (With reliable I mean, you are not sure if the opponent will switch out if you use Pursuit, so it's not ensured it has +8 priority). Shadow Claw allows it to hit Giratina for good damage among other Ghost-types immune to Shadow Claw. Earthquake is a powerful coverage attacks which hits stuff such as Ferrothorn better on the switch in, and it has to take no Iron Barbs damage either.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Toxic

This is my usual lead, which is able to support teammates such as Gengar and E-Killer with Spikes, because it helps them KO foes with more ease. Thunder Wave cripples setup sweepers which are not behind a Substitute. Play Rough is a decently powerful STAB attack which hits MegaMence behind a Substitute, and it can proceed with using Thunder Wave. Lastly, Toxic can put a timer to the longevity of Pokemon such as Primal-Groudon.

Shaymin-Sky @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Alright, final member of the team. Shaymin-Sky, an offensive scarfer. Air Slash makes it an excellent flincher because of Serene Grace, but also provides decent power. Seed Flare is a very powerful Grass-type STAB attack which has a 60% chance of lowering the opposing Pokemon's Special Defense by 2 stages (!_!) which powers up its attack after. Earth Power lets it hit Steel-types such as Heatran and Klefki better. Healing Wish is a move for when Shaymin-Sky is about to faint, as it can heal up worthful members for the battle.

Alright, this was the team! Hope you can all help me improve it, please leave a comment!

Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Ho-Oh @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 208 Def / 52 SpD
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- Sacred Fire
- Roost
- Whirlwind

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
IVs: NaN Atk
- Defog
- Roost
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Arceus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Toxic

Shaymin-Sky @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Air Slash
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Healing Wish

Last edited:
Using this post as my C&C Hub, because my signature is basically completely filled with this stuff.

Analyses I have completed (23):

NU Tauros

NU Golurk
UU Goodra
RU Rotom
PU Zebstrika
PU Marowak
OU
Magneton

Ubers Sableye

OU Politoed

UU Espeon
Ubers Greninja

UU Krookodile

UU Camerupt

Ubers Lucario

UU Ampharos
RU Kecleon
UU Sceptile
UU Zoroark
PU Kadabra
RU Fletchinder
UU
Emboar
UU Toxicroak

OU Mew

Write-ups only (2):

VGC14 Reuniclus
VGC14 Gyarados

Partial work (For example, finished after someone dropped it when they had the skeleton done) (1):

OU Sylveon (Calm Mind + Baton Pass)

Analyses I currently have in progress:

None!
Total completed: 26
Total in progress: 0

Last edited:
Reactions: pj

PISTOLERO

I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him.
Hello Soulblaster, it's nice to see an original team, I remember seeing some teams from you that had Thundurus + Klefki so it's nice to see that you are still trialing many different things! That's a lot of QC work too, which you should be proud of.

I do have some suggestions however. Stealth Rock is vital on every team in Ubers, it is just not possible to build a viable team without it. I can also spy a Darkrai weakness to a degree, although it is fixable. The main issue I can see is this team doesn't really have a discernable game plan aside from sweeping with Extremekiller Arceus, so I shall try my best to make minimal changes to the team that will still help you.

I think that you should change the Ho-Oh set that you are using. Defensive Ho-Oh is something that is very team-specific, and, in my opinion, is rather mediocre, as if you are putting the effort into supporting Ho-Oh, you should be using it to break the opponent's team. For this reason, I think you should try a set with Sleep Talk, as this provides you with a way to check Darkrai. I myself prefer Life Orb Ho-Oh, and would recommend Life Orb Substitute+Roost, but this would necessitate a change to Protect Mega Gengar, and still leaves you without a switchin to Dark Void. Also, Mega Gengar + Ho-Oh makes for a fearsome offensive duo, as with Gengar removing things such as Arceus-Rock, Ho-Oh can freely rampage.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 192 Atk / 52 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Next, you absolutely require a Stealth Rock setter. As boring and unoriginal as it is, I think that Primal Groudon will be the best option, as it blanket checks so much and basically cannot make a team worse. However, I have a lesser-used set for you that could work.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Ability: Drought
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

The EVs allow Groudon to take a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas after two rounds of Stealth Rock damage, with max HP also coming in very useful in general. The Speed EVs outspeed unevolved Timid Diancie. This provides a fair offensive check to Ho-Oh and can also deal with Arceus-Rock to an extent, and can apply pressure to physical walls so that Extremekiller Arceus can get through them later. Dragon Tail keeps Latias, Latios and Giratina-Origin from getting rid of your Stealth Rock and can drag opposing switchins through hazards.

I think that you would be better served using Stone Edge on Extremekiller Arceus instead of Shadow Claw, as this lets you break Lugia, defensive Yveltal and defensive Mega Salamence for Ho-Oh, and you have Choice Band Ho-Oh, which tramples Arceus-Ghost and switches in for free on Will-O-Wisp. Something else you could consider is running Healing Wish + Defog on Latias, as this lets you bring back your Extremekiller for another go at your opponent's team - with Latias, Primal Groudon and the general offensive pressure, you should not have too big a problem with Primal Kyogre.

I think that with these changes, your team becomes a bit more focused in terms of what you plan to do - overwhelm the opponent with huge physical pressure, supporting your two main physical sweepers with Spikes and Stealth Rock support, and potentially Healing Wish too. I personally do not like Klefki on this team as it seems to have been thrown on as an emergency Thunder Wave button more than for its resistances and Spikes, but it is still workable. I'm sure that the other raters will be able to offer you alternate advice and / or spot anything I may have missed. Good luck!

A new version of your team with the implemented changes, should you want it:
Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Arceus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Toxic

Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

Last edited:
Hello Soulblaster, it's nice to see an original team, I remember seeing some teams from you that had Thundurus + Klefki so it's nice to see that you are still trialing many different things! That's a lot of QC work too, which you should be proud of.

I do have some suggestions however. Stealth Rock is vital on every team in Ubers, it is just not possible to build a viable team without it. I can also spy a Darkrai weakness to a degree, although it is fixable. The main issue I can see is this team doesn't really have a discernable game plan aside from sweeping with Extremekiller Arceus, so I shall try my best to make minimal changes to the team that will still help you.

I think that you should change the Ho-Oh set that you are using. Defensive Ho-Oh is something that is very team-specific, and, in my opinion, is rather mediocre, as if you are putting the effort into supporting Ho-Oh, you should be using it to break the opponent's team. For this reason, I think you should try a set with Sleep Talk, as this provides you with a way to check Darkrai. I myself prefer Life Orb Ho-Oh, and would recommend Life Orb Substitute+Roost, but this would necessitate a change to Protect Mega Gengar, and still leaves you without a switchin to Dark Void. Also, Mega Gengar + Ho-Oh makes for a fearsome offensive duo, as with Gengar removing things such as Arceus-Rock, Ho-Oh can freely rampage.

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Next, you absolutely require a Stealth Rock setter. As boring and unoriginal as it is, I think that Primal Groudon will be the best option, as it blanket checks so much and basically cannot make a team worse. However, I have a lesser-used set for you that could work.

Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock

The EVs allow Groudon to take a +2 Focus Blast from Xerneas after two rounds of Stealth Rock damage, with max HP also coming in very useful in general. The Speed EVs outspeed unevolved Timid Diancie. This provides a fair offensive check to Ho-Oh and can also deal with Arceus-Rock to an extent, and can apply pressure to physical walls so that Extremekiller Arceus can get through them later. Dragon Tail keeps Latias, Latios and Giratina-Origin from getting rid of your Stealth Rock and can drag opposing switchins through hazards.

I think that you would be better served using Stone Edge on Extremekiller Arceus instead of Shadow Claw, as this lets you break Lugia, defensive Yveltal and defensive Mega Salamence for Ho-Oh, and you have Choice Band Ho-Oh, which tramples Arceus-Ghost and switches in for free on Will-O-Wisp. Something else you could consider is running Healing Wish + Defog on Latias, as this lets you bring back your Extremekiller for another go at your opponent's team - with Latias, Primal Groudon and the general offensive pressure, you should not have too big a problem with Primal Kyogre.

I think that with these changes, your team becomes a bit more focused in terms of what you plan to do - overwhelm the opponent with huge physical pressure, supporting your two main physical sweepers with Spikes and Stealth Rock support, and potentially Healing Wish too. I personally do not like Klefki on this team as it seems to have been thrown on as an emergency Thunder Wave button more than for its resistances and Spikes, but it is still workable. I'm sure that the other raters will be able to offer you alternate advice and / or spot anything I may have missed. Good luck!

A new version of your team with the implemented changes, should you want it:
Gengar @ Gengarite
Timid Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Wave

Ho-Oh @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Brave Bird
- Earthquake
- Sleep Talk

Latias (F) @ Soul Dew
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor

Arceus @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Klefki @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Thunder Wave
- Play Rough
- Toxic

Groudon @ Red Orb
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Tail
- Stealth Rock
Thanks for the rate! The Thundurus Klefki team was shit though as the former is barely viable. I will definitely try out PDon and Ho-Oh, the new Latias set sure looks good, and so does SE on ekiller :]

Edit: This all worked great, thanks PISTOLERO! Everyone watching this thread should watch their post with the importable section of the team.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)