ORAS Doubles OU TR Doubles

This is my second RMT. I made this team about 2 months ago and have had some success with it, but I think it can be better without entirely changing the team. So here we go...

sylveon.gif

That One B*tch (Sylveon) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
IVs: 30 SpA / 30 SpD / 1 Spe
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Psyshock

Pretty Standard Set. Sylveon is my main special attacker. HP Ground b/c Heatran is the devil. Shadow Ball and Psyshock go mainly unused but are there for additional coverage. Sylveon doesn't see much use outside of TR and the lowered speed IV's don't really affect her performance much (outside TR).

cresselia.gif

Sailor Moon (Cresselia) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Trick Room
- Moonlight
- Psychic

Classic TR setter. No surprises here. Even just one Calm Mind makes Cress a powerful mixed tank. Safety Goggles for those pesky spore users. I chose psychic over psyshock for the slight damage boost, SpDef drop chance, and b/c honestly, my team is lacking in special attackers besides Sylveon.

gothitelle.gif

It's a Trap (Gothitelle) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Heal Pulse
- Taunt

Here's a curveball. Goth is my other TR setter. Shadow Tag comes in handy, it allows me to make safer switches and set up easier on my opponents. Heal Pulse to help my main attackers survive. Taunt for obvious reasons. I wasn't really sure what item would be best here and since I chose Heal Pulse I gave Goth a Sitrus Berry to help him survive longer.

landorus-therian.gif

Hammerhead (Landorus-Therian) @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
- Hammer Arm
- Knock Off

I needed a pokemon with intimidate to give Cresselia and Gothitelle more bulk. Stone Edge over Rock Slide for damage. U-Turn for Intimidate spam. Hammer Arm for coverage and for speed boost in TR. Here's an example of when Hammer Arm came in really handy (http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-267017865) Knock Off rounds out the set and can really frustrate opponents.

azumarill.gif

Golden Son (Azumarill) (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Protect

Another pokemon that is really hindered in normal gameplay by its speed. Classic BD set, minus Aqua Jet for power. Waterfall allows Azumarill to OHKO 95% of everything, sometimes I miss priority but I don't need it except for outside TR.

mawile-mega.gif

Also a Trap (Mawile) (M) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpD
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Rock Slide
- Protect

Pretty Standard set as well. Mega-Mawile is here for essentially the same reason as Lando-T. Combined with Shadow Tag, double Intimidate can halt just about every physical attacker in its tracks. Rock Slide (over iron head) for coverage and as a counter to talonflame. Many people switch into Mawile thinking it's safe, with TR I can outspeed Talonflame and hit it with RS.

My main threats are other TR teams, but generally when I battle a TR team I do my best to keep them from setting up TR especially since a lot of my pokemon are a bit faster (outside TR) than some of the super standard picks like Mega-Sableye, Slowbro and Ferrothorn etc.

Thanks for reading this, I can't wait to see your responses!

Last edited:

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
Firstly, your team needs longer descriptions, otherwise it'll get locked by a mod. Pretty cool team btw, I especially like the shadow tag double intimidate. The team's a huge improvement over your first one, although you're still very weak to some common threats. For example, any two of washtom, heatran, aegislash, sylveon, ferrothorn will flat beat you under trick room, and a host of other things outside of it. It looks like you attempted to fix your weaknesses through extra coverage on lando and mawile, but you're missing earthquake and iron head, which are stupidly important. Also, just because you have double knock off and shadow ball doesn't mean you aren't still weak to aegi, as for lando and sylv you're locking yourself into a generally unfavorable move, while lando and maw fear the attack drop from king's shield. That said, on to some suggestions.

The fact of double psychic and triple fairy makes you terribly walled by steels, my rate will mostly go towards more balanced coverage.

Having both goth and cress tends to be dead weight quite often. I suggest replacing cress with jellicent, who offers a different sort of utility and typing that doesn't stack with goth.

Jellicent @ Mental Herb
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Trick Room
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover

For goth, goggles over sitrus to completely trap and invalidate amoonguss. I'd say protect over taunt though, as the opponent is likely to double target your trapper.

For lando, you really need earthquake, I'd say replace knock off for it. I know you have no levitators, but earthquake is one of the only reasons to run lando. If you like, you can replace it with drill run rhydon/rhyperior, but I think you chose lando for intimidate and middling speed.

Since you have a water in jelli, azu can be replaced by an eruptran, mostly for the sake of reliable spread damage. If you have 60% or worse hp, use heat wave, otherwise use eruption.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spa / 4 Spd
Quiet Nature
- Heat Wave
- Eruption
- Earth Power
- Protect

For mawile, rock slide is pretty cool, but it enjoys sucker punch instead of knock off for some nice priority and failing on king's shield. With a heatran, you're nowhere near as weak to aegi anyway.

Thanks for the tips! I'm testing out the changes you suggested. I am really hesitant to use EQ on Lando, though I'm still going to try it. I gave Mawile Sucker Punch as well, and I'm going to try Iron Head instead of Rock Slide.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)