Tomahawk9 vs ShinyAzelf - OU Warstory

I was preparing myself for Smogon Tournament 7 by testing all my teams and see which ones are the best suited for the tournament. I logged on and saw ShinyAzelf online. ShinyAzelf apparently was doing the same as me so I challenged him to a battle. This is the battle that resulted.
Enjoy!

Tomahawk9's team:

ShinyAzelf's team:

• Sleep Clause
  • Freeze Clause
  • OHKO Clause
  • Evasion Clause
  • Species Clause
  • Strict Damage Clause

Tomahawk9's comments will be in black.
ShinyAzelf's comments will be in blue.

ShinyAzelf sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf)!
Tomahawk9 sent out Starmie (lvl 100 Starmie)!

- 100%
- 100%

ShinyAzelf leads with ShinyAzelf. He can have 3 possible sets: Normal Lead set, Colbur Berry and Physical Choice. I can do two things: Hydro Pump or switch. My feeling says its Physical Choice Azelf, as I rememberd him using it as a lead somewhere (here and here to be exact) and it will probably U-Turn. I can therefore switch to either Magnezone or Gengar. If it's Colbur Berry it can deal heavy damage to Magnezone with Explosion. If it's the normal Lead set it can OHKO either Magnezone or Gengar, depending on what move it carries. There's also the chance it Explodes right off the bat. As Psychic is less common the Fire Blast and because Gengar is immune to Explosion and 4x resists U-Turn, I decide to switch to him as Starmie is a valuable member of my team.

So he leads off with Starmie. It’s a speed tie, but its one I’m willing to risk, because I’d like to take out Starmie early out in the game. U-turn away!

Tomahawk9 withdrew Starmie!
Tomahawk9 sent out Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar ?)!
Azelf used U-turn!
It's not very effective...
Gengar lost 16% of its health!
ShinyAzelf withdrew Azelf!
ShinyAzelf sent out Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi)!
Azelf went back to ShinyAzelf!

- 100%
- 84%

He U-Turns to Jirachi, and seeing the high damage it did, I'm guessing it's Choice Band. Jirachi can be Choice Scarf, Specially Defensive or Calm Mind. If it's Choice Scarf or Specially Defensive without Fire Punch I can switch to Magnezone to set up a Substitute and Magnet Rise. If it's Calm Mind, Magnezone might have trouble dealing with him. If it turns out to be Calm Mind, I can always wear it down and KO with Flygon. I hope it's Choice Scarf as Magnezone can easily wreck teams behind a sub.

Hmm. So he goes to Gengar. My best bet against it is Jirachi, taking it out with Psychic while not getting hurt by any moves Gengar may have in its arsenal.

Tomahawk9 withdrew Gengar!
Tomahawk9 sent out Magnezone (lvl 100 Magnezone)!
Jirachi used Psychic!
Magnezone lost 18% of its health!
Magnezone's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Magnezone regained 6% of its health!

- 100%
- 88%

I get the most unlucky matchup with CM Jirachi. Flygon's EQ does at least 50% to every version of CM Jirachi, or more if it's SubCM or Offensive CM. Thunderbolt does reasonable damage to Jirachi and he can't do much to me, so I decide to just set up a Substitute.

That was interesting. He decides to trap me with Magnezone, but I’m not the usual Choice Scarf set, so Magnezone is actually set up bait for me.

Jirachi used Substitute!
Jirachi lost 25% of its health!
Jirachi made a substitute!
Magnezone used Substitute!
Magnezone lost 25% of its health!
Magnezone made a substitute!
Jirachi's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Jirachi regained 6% of its health!

- 81% - Substitute
- 69% - Substitute

So it's a SubCM set. That's not too bad, as he can not restore its health while I'm wearing it down and Flygon can KO from 67% so I just need to Thunderbolt once and make sure it doesn't have a Substitute up when Magnezone faints.

So we both set up a Substitute. Not too bad for me, as I know I can set up on him.

Jirachi used Calm Mind!
Jirachi's special attack was raised!
Jirachi's special defence was raised!
Magnezone used Thunderbolt!
Jirachi's substitute took damage for it!
Jirachi's substitute faded!

- 87% - +1 SpA, +1 SpD
- 75% - Substitute

Luckily, Magnezone has enough power to break it's Substitute with 2 hits until he gets to +6. It doesn't make much sense to use Magnet Rise or Hidden Power, so I just keep on using Thunderbolt.

There we go, time to Calm Mind up. I see that a Thunderbolt will still break my Substitute, so I decided not to use Substitute, but keep on setting up instead.

Jirachi used Calm Mind!

Jirachi - 68% - +2 SpA, +2 SpD
Magnezone - 81% - Substitute

I do 25% with Thunderbolt, and I really hope that wasn't maximum damage. If he CMs now he goes down to a probable 50%, making him KO fodder for my Flygon, if he Substitutes, I can use my Substitute to break his and then KO with Flygon.

After another Calm Mind, he does exactly 25% of my health, meaning I’ll risk a Substitute. I know Thunderbolt is his best bet against Jirachi, so he hasn’t got any other moves to break my Substitute.

Jirachi used Substitute!

Jirachi - 50% - Substitute - +2 SpA, +2 SpD
Magnezone - 88% - Substitute

So my previous hit was a high damage roll (or this one's a low one). I have a Substitute up, so I'm not worried about him having a Substitute as I'll break it next turn.

That was great. Thunderbolt didn’t break my Substitute, meaning I can easily set up without harm. I know Jirachi will not faint before Magnezone does, so I’m not very concerned at this point.

Jirachi used Calm Mind!

Jirachi - 56% - +3 SpA, +3 SpD
Magnezone - 94% - Substitute

He has 56% left for Substituting. Scenario:
Substitute - CM - 43% - Substitute - CM - 31% - Substitute - CM - 18% - Psychic still won't KO while i Thunderbolt him to pathetic percentages.
Substitute - CM - 43% - Substitute - CM - 31% - Substitute - Psychic - Psychic - 18% - still a favorable matchup as 18% is easily inflicted by any physical attacker.
Substitute - CM - 43% - Substitute - CM - 31% - Psychic - Psychic - ~20% - practically the same matchup as above.

I set up another Calm Mind, bringing me to + 3 Special Attack and Special Defense. Thunderbolt is going to break my Substitute, which is all right as I can keep on using the Substitute + Calm Mind combination.

Jirachi used Substitute!

Jirachi - 37% - Substitute - +3 SpA, +3 SpD
Magnezone - 100% - Substitute

He Substitutes first as expected, and has a mere 37% left.

Another Substitute for me, while he struggles to break it.

Jirachi used Calm Mind!
Magnezone regained 0% of its health!

Jirachi - 43% - +4 SpA, +4 SpD

He's at +4 so I still break his Substitute in 2 hits. He has around 4 moves left against Magnezone and my PP is high enough so I just Thunderbolt as I need to break the Substitute when Flygon comes in.

I Calm Mind up again, while he sets up a Substitute. Jirachi may be running low on health, but I decide to keep setting up while I have the opportunity to.

Jirachi used Substitute!

Jirachi - 25% - Substitute - +4 SpA, +4 SpD

All according to plan, he sets up a Substitute again. Just another 3 turns of waiting.

I go another Substitute, leaving me to a quarter of my health. He keeps on going for Thunderbolt.

Jirachi used Calm Mind!

Jirachi - 31% - +5 SpA, +5 SpD

Okay, I return to the 3 scenarios:
Substitute - CM - leaves him at very low HP, so this is no dangerous situation.
Substitute - Psychic - Psychic - he will be left with 18%, which is low enough.
Psychic - Psychic - he will actually be left with more than 18% if he isn't unlucky, but basically the second scenario.

So after 5 Calm Minds, he still can 2HKO my Substitute, which is a bit annoying but oh well, it happens.

Jirachi used Substitute!

Jirachi - 12% - Substitute - +5 SpA, +5 SpD

I hope he CMs right now while I (hopefully) break his Substitute, so any Pokemon I have can KO.

I set up my final Substitute, while he hits me with a Thunderbolt. I decide that I’ve set up enough, and it was time to do some real damage.

Jirachi used Psychic!
Magnezone's substitute took damage for it!
Magnezone's substitute faded!

Jirachi - 19% - +5 SpA, +5 SpD
Magnezone - 100%

He Psychics to destroy my Substitute, so the last scenario it is. I Thunderbolt and break his Substitute. I can now Substitute as I will have enough health left for it, but it will probably only make him gain more Leftovers recovery.

I use Psychic to break his Substitute, while he uses Thunderbolt to break my Substitute. I’m low on health, but I’m confident a Thunderbolt won’t take me out after 5 Calm Minds, even though I only have 19% of my health left.

Jirachi used Psychic!
Magnezone lost 64% of its health!
Jirachi lost 14% of its health!
Magnezone regained 20/324 (6%) of its health!

Jirachi - 12% - +5 SpA, +5 SpD
Magnezone - 41%

Goodbye, Magnezone.

I hit him with a Psychic, dealing a great chunk of damage. Thunderbolt does not knock me out, meaning another Psychic will send Magnezone back to its Pokeball for the rest of the match. I’m worried that Jirachi will be easily revenge killed after Magnezone faints, because it is very low on health, but taking out Magnezone is the priority, so let it be.

Jirachi used Psychic!
Magnezone lost 41% of its health!
Magnezone fainted!
(6-5 | ShinyAzelf ahead)

- 18% - +5 SpA, +5 SpD
- Fainted

Okay, I have 3 Pokemon that can outspeed Timid Jirachi: Starmie, Gengar and Flygon. Starmie and Gengar hit from the special side, while Jirachi has its Special Defense boosted to +5. My only option is thus Flygon.

Tomahawk9 sent out Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?)!

- 18% - +5 SpA, +5 SpD
- 100%

My Flygon is up against his Jirachi. Earthquake, Outrage and U-Turn all take him out right now (according to the calculator I'm using). Outrage is not an option as I'll give something like Metagross or Heatran a turn to setup. Earthquake is also risky, as it might give something like Dragonite or Gyarados to set up. U-Turn has an added bonus of keeping the momentum if he switches. If he doesn't switch, he gains momentum but his Jirachi is out of the battle.

I finally take the lead. He sends out Flygon. I knew U-turn wouldn’t take me out, and he would force himself to get stuck into Earthquake, meaning a free switch-in. However…

Flygon used U-turn!
Jirachi lost 18% of its health!
Jirachi fainted!
(5-5 | Tie)
Tomahawk9 withdrew Flygon!

- Fainted
- 100%

I have 4 options: Starmie, Gengar, Tyranitar and Metagross. Gengar is risky as it's easily Pursuited if he switches in something like Scizor. Tyranitar has some hard counters, forcing me to switch. Metagross can set up rocks, but if he switches in something like Heatran, I'm forced to switch. Starmie is powerful and can put a dent in everything before getting KO'd, so he is my Pokemon of choice.

Flygon went back to Tomahawk9!

- Fainted
- 100%

So U-turn took me out. Was it Choice Banded? I never found out. He U-turns to Starmie, which is quite troublesome to my team.

ShinyAzelf sent out Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?)!

- 100%
- 100%

Flygon is a pest. It outspeeds my Starmie and does hard damage to it with U-Turn while I can't do anything back as it switches. If I switch, it just U-Turns to the counter of that Poke. I can't switch in Tyranitar as U-Turn does hard damage to him. I send out Gengar with his 4x resist to Bug , and I hope he doesn't have another Pokemon thats faster than Gengar bar Azelf. I hope he sends out Azelf as I can just switch in Tyranitar on the Zen Headbutt and Pursuit him.

My best course of action would be to go to Flygon and do some scouting. I U-turn and see what he chooses to do.

Tomahawk9 withdrew Starmie!
Tomahawk9 sent out Gengar (lvl 100 Gengar ?)!
Flygon used U-turn!
Gengar lost 9% of its health!
ShinyAzelf withdrew Flygon!

- 100%
- 75%

He decides to not leave Starmie in to take a chunk of damage, but instead go back to Gengar to take the U-turns which it can take all day long.

ShinyAzelf sent out Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune)!
Suicune is exerting its Pressure!
Flygon went back to ShinyAzelf!

- 100%
- 75%

My Gengar is the SubSplit variant, and I like to just use Substitute to scout for my opponents move and hopefully catch a free Substitute as he Calm Minds or switches.

I decide to go to Suicune to Surf it away. It can’t 2HKO me with Thunderbolt, but I can 2HKO with Surf, or perhaps even OHKO.

Gengar used Substitute!
Gengar lost 24% of its health!
Gengar made a substitute!
Suicune used Surf!
Gengar's substitute took damage for it!
Gengar's substitute faded!

- 100%
- 50%

But he Surfs me. Unfortunately, this doesn't reveal his set. If he is Offensive Calm Mind, he can now KO me with Surf, making Shadow Ball a bad choice. If it's a Defensive variant, Surf still has a chance of KO'ing me at this health while I do a pitiful ~40% with Shadow Ball. I Substitute and hope he gets greedy.

So he’s a Substitute variant. Sub + 3 attacks or Sub Pain Split? Either way, it won’t hurt me much, and I can keep on hitting it with Surf.

Gengar used Substitute!
Gengar lost 24% of its health!
Gengar made a substitute!
Suicune used Surf!
Gengar's substitute took damage for it!
Gengar's substitute faded!

- 100%
- 25%

And I lose another 25% health. I can Shadow Ball now, but it doesn't do enough damage for Flygon to KO. Pain Split should give me a second life, seeing as I'm at 25% (~65 health) and he's at 100% (~340 health). I restore around 140 health, which is more than 50%, so Surf shouldn't KO me.

He goes for one last Substitute, and I Surf it away. I was a bit wary of Destiny Bond, but I decided to keep on going for Surf, regardless.

Gengar used Pain Split!
Gengar regained 53% of its health!
Suicune lost 41% of its health!
Suicune used Surf!
Gengar lost 61% of its health!
Suicune's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Suicune regained 6% of its health!

- 65%
- 16%

I've dealen significant damage with Pain Split. If I Shadow Ball now, he will be left at around 20%, enough for me to KO him.

So he is the Sub Pain Split Gengar. He recovers quite a lot of his health, while taking out a chunk of mine. I Surf, and I know I can take him out in another hit.

Gengar used Shadow Ball!
Suicune lost 47% of its health!
Suicune's special defence was lowered!
Gengar lost 9% of its health!
Suicune used Surf!
Gengar lost 6% of its health!
Gengar fainted!
(5-4 | ShinyAzelf ahead)
Suicune's Leftovers restored its health a little!
Suicune regained 6% of its health!

- 17%
- Fainted

- 22%
- 100%

I have 3 options: Outrage, Earthquake and U-Turn. U-Turn won't KO, so it's not really a viable option. Earthquake is risky as Dragonite or Gyarados can just set up and sweep my team. Outrage is also risky as any Steel Type can just set up. I decide to compare the situations:
Dragonite: I can't really stop his sweep except with either Flygon or Tyranitar. If it's the bulky variant, I can stop him with Tyranitar as I can survive an Earthquake (most of the time) and KO with Stone Edge. If it's the offensive variant, Flygon can KO with Outrage.
Gyarados: I can't stop the offensive variants. The bulky variants can't KO my Starmie while I OHKO back.
Swords Dance Scizor: Starmie resists both of his attacks if he's the bulky variant while the offensive variants is KO'd before he can move. Metagross also (kinda) walls him.
Substitute Heatran: I have to sacrifice Starmie and KO him with Earthquake from Flygon or something similar. Tyranitar walls him (Earth Power does ~45% and KO's with Earthquake).
Stealth Rock Heatran: He sets up rocks, but none of my Pokemon is weak to it and the battle has already had a few turns.
I decide to Outrage as I don't want to instantly lose against Offensive DD Dragonite or Gyarados.

So after Gengar is out, he decides to go back to Flygon. Probably another U-turn to scout my switch-in?

Flygon used Outrage!
Suicune lost 22% of its health!
Suicune fainted!
(4-4 | Tie)

- Fainted
- 100%

Oh dear, he goes for the Outrage which knocks Suicune out. I’m not very concerned, as I can go to Heatran to set up Stealth Rock (which may be late, but better late than never), and perhaps Explode or do some damage to it.

ShinyAzelf sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?)!

- 100%
- 100% - Outrage

He sends in a Steel Type obivously. Not that I care as I check it fairly easily with Starmie and Tyranitar. I just hope Outrage ends this turn.

I switch into Heatran, and proceed to set up my Stealth Rock.

Flygon used Outrage!
Heatran lost 29% of its health!
Heatran used Stealth Rock!
Pointed stones float in the air around your foe's team!

- 71%
- 100% - Outrage

But it doesn't and he sets up rocks, which is better than a Substitute.

All goes as planned, and he is stuck into Outrage for another turn, which is very beneficial for me.

Flygon used Outrage!
Heatran lost 27% of its health!
Flygon became confused due to fatigue!
Flygon became confused!
Heatran used Fire Blast!
Flygon lost 46% of its health!

- 44%
- 54% - Confused

I have two options to switch to: Starmie and Tyranitar. Starmie is 2HKO'd by Fire Blast and Earth Power, and also is OHKO'd by Explosion. Tyranitar takes all attacks bar Earth Power with ease, and even Earth Power he takes well. Tyranitar is therefore my choice.

I decide to hit him with Fire Blast, because Heatran was valuable and I didn’t want to blow up right away.

Tomahawk9 sent out Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?)!
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
A sandstorm brewed!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar!
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health!
Heatran used Earth Power!
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 40% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

- 44%
- 48%

Hm... I will live through another Earth Power and he knows it. I'm guessing he will switch to an Earthquake immunity. He has Azelf and Flygon. Azelf is KO'd by Stone Edge and Crunch, while Flygon resists the former. Starmie is not an option as all Flygon have U-Turn. Metagross and Flygon are possible switches. Metagross hates Earthquake. His Flygon is really important to his team, so I don't think he will risk him losing a speed tie. Therefore I go to my own Flygon.

I knew he was going to switch out, so I predicted and went for the Earth Power. Turns out he went to Tyranitar, which is great for me, dealing a good amount of damage. Unfortunately, I will not get the 2HKO, even with Stealth Rock. I thought of staying in to hit it with Earth Power, allowing Flygon to finish it off with U-turn, but I decided against it. I knew an Earthquake was coming, so I would go back to Flygon and U-turn.

Tomahawk9 withdrew Tyranitar!
Pointed stones dug into Flygon!
Flygon lost 5% of its health!
ShinyAzelf withdrew Heatran!
The sandstorm rages.

- 100%
- 42%

He has two options, namely switching and staying in. If he stays in, I should use either U-Turn or Outrage. If he switches out, he can go to an Azelf, a 40% Heatran or an unknown Pokemon. The last Pokemon probably isn't a Steel Type, as that would cause him big synergy issues, while Heatran is 2HKO'd by Outrage at this point. If it stays in and I win the speed tie, I've also eliminated Flygon.

So he went back to Flygon. I am not about to risk losing my Flygon to a speed tie (at this point I’m pretty sure he has a Choice Scarf) so I go back to Heatran to take the Outrage.

ShinyAzelf withdrew Flygon!
ShinyAzelf sent out Heatran (lvl 100 Heatran ?)!
Flygon used Outrage!
Heatran lost 25% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

- 18%
- 42% - Outrage

And he goes to Heatran, either sacrificing him or forgetting he was at low health. Heatran is KO'd next turn and he probably doesn't have another Steel Type left (I'm guessing a Grass Type) so I hope Outrage doesn't end this turn.

I forgot that Heatran had little health, and could no longer take repeated Outrages. A big mistake on my part. I really hoped Flygon would get confused after the second Outrage.

Flygon used Outrage!
Heatran lost 18% of its health!
Heatran fainted!
(3-4 | Tomahawk9 ahead)

- Fainted
- 42% - Outrage

Great, he doesn’t get confused, and Heatran is dead. Flygon definitely is not the way to go, and Azelf may be valuable later. Breloom can take an Outrage, and at least incapacitate it for the time being.

The sandstorm rages.
ShinyAzelf sent out Breloom (lvl 100 Breloom ?)!

- 100%
- 42% - Outrage

Breloom. Multiple scenarios are possible:
Flygon Outrages - He Substitutes but fails.
Flygon Outrages - He Seed Bombs and Flygon faints.
Fygon Outrages - He Spores and Flygon falls asleep.

I send in Breloom and get ready to Spore him, crippling him, allowing one of my sweepers to finish it off easier.

Flygon used Outrage!
Breloom lost 79% of its health!
Flygon became confused due to fatigue!
Flygon became confused!
Breloom used Spore!
Flygon fell asleep!
The sandstorm rages.
Breloom is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Breloom lost 6% of its health!
Breloom was badly poisoned!

- 15% - Badly Poisoned
- 42% - Sleeping - Confused

He chooses the latter. Unfortunately though, I now have to switch as he might restore enough health with Toxic Orb to set up a Substitute. I have 2 (viable) options: Metagross and Starmie. He hasn't seen Metagross yet. If he Seed Bombs predicting a Starmie switch, either Starmie faints or Metagross comes in and KO's with Bullet Punch. If he Focus Punches, either Starmie comes in and KO's with Ice Beam or Metagross comes in and KO's with Bullet Punch. Metagross take the same amount of damage from Focus Punch because Metagross has much more HP investment, so ths is a fairly easy choice.

Ouch, Outrage hurt, but good thing I survived the blow, and can retaliate with Spore. I can’t Substitute to ease prediction which would have really helped, but too bad. I debated between Seed Bomb and Focus Punch, and decided in the end to go for…

Tomahawk9 sent out Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross)!
Pointed stones dug into Metagross!
Metagross lost 6% of its health!
Breloom used Seed Bomb!
Metagross lost 17% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.
Breloom is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Breloom lost 6% of its health!
Breloom's Poison Heal restored health!
Breloom regained 12% of its health!

- 21% - Badly Poisoned
- 77%

He chooses Seed Bomb which allows me a more or less free switchin. Bullet Punch KO's at this health. He could switch to Azelf or Flygon predicting Bullet Punch, but he has no reason to do that as Breloom is dead fodder against Starmie.

Darn it! He goes to Metagross. A Substitute definitely would have helped with prediction, but its too late now, and I have nothing I can do. I decide to risk a Focus Punch, hoping that he will set up an Agility.

Breloom is tightening its focus!
Metagross used Bullet Punch!
Breloom lost 22% of its health!
Breloom fainted!
(2-4 | Tomahawk9 ahead)

- Fainted
- 77%

Nope, he Bullet Punches, taking out Breloom. I’m in quite some trouble now.

The sandstorm rages.

- 100%
- 77%

He switches to Flygon, probably hoping to KO Metagross with Earthquake. Hoping. Earthquake doesn't KO Meta at this health, so instead of firing off a 'final' Bullet Punch, I decide to KO him with Meteor Mash + Bullet Punch.

I switch in to Flygon, because Earthquake is my only way to deal with the Metagross. I know Flygon might come back in, but it was too late in the game to predict, and I went with whatever would win me the game.

Flygon used Earthquake!
It's super effective!
Metagross lost 66% of its health!
Metagross used Meteor Mash!
Flygon lost 85% of its health!
The sandstorm rages.

- 14%
- 11%

And my plan works. I can now KO Flygon with Bullet Punch.

Eh, Earthquake didn’t knock it out? That’s a bulky Metagross. He hits me back with Meteor Mash, not knocking me out, but putting me in range of…

Flygon lost 14% of its health!
Flygon fainted!
(1-4 | Tomahawk9 ahead)

- Fainted
- 11%

Yes, Bullet Punch knocks me out, and I’m at a really big disadvantage. Will Azelf pull through?

The sandstorm rages.
ShinyAzelf sent out Azelf (lvl 100 Azelf)!

- 100%
- 11%

Not much thinking left here, he can KO me with any of his moves. Therefore I decide to deal some final damage with Bullet Punch as that could help later.

Azelf is Choice Banded, and looking at my four moves (U-turn, Ice Punch, Zen Headbutt, Explosion), U-turn would be most wise. Ice Punch might not even take Metagross out from here, and Starmie would laugh at me for days. Zen Headbutt is even worse, except even Tyranitar is immune to it. Explosion will destroy all my hopes of winning, so the only way to go is U-turn.

Azelf lost 39% of its health!
Azelf used U-turn!
Metagross lost 10% of its health!
Metagross fainted!
(1-3 | Tomahawk9 ahead)
The sandstorm rages.
Azelf is buffeted by the sandstorm!
Azelf lost 6% of its health!

- 55%
- Fainted

I actually don't know what to do right now. Tyranitar gets outsped and KO'd, while Starmie needs to win a speed tie. Flygon needs to wake up. Don't have a particular plan in mind, so I just switch in Flygon and hope I wake up.

So he decides to leave his final mark on Azelf, dealing almost half to me. Metagross is finally out of the way, and I’m glad.

Pointed stones dug into Flygon!
Flygon lost 5% of its health!

- 55%
- 41%

Okay, Flygon it's time to wake up! Wake up and get outrageous!

He switches back into his sleeping Flygon. Thank god Breloom used Spore. It left its mark, and now its going to win me the game…or will it? I hope he doesn’t wake up, and that I can take it out with U-turn.

Flygon is fast asleep.
Azelf used U-turn!
Flygon lost 41% of its health!
Flygon fainted!
(1-2 | Tomahawk9 ahead)
The sandstorm rages.

- 49%
- Fainted

Flygon is lazy... Tyranitar doesn't stand a chance so sending out Starmie is the only reasonable option.

Again, all goes to plan, and now I am only down 1-2. Its unfortunate he still has Starmie, who will speed tie with my Azelf.

Pointed stones dug into Starmie!
Starmie lost 12% of its health!

- 49%
- 87%

Win the speed tie, win the speed tie, win the speed tie...

This is it. Whoever wins this speed tie will take the game. Who will win? There’s a 50% chance I will win, and I click U-turn in hopes that I outspeed.

Azelf used U-turn!
A critical hit!
It's super effective!
Starmie lost 87% of its health!
Starmie fainted!
(1-1 | Tie)
The sandstorm rages.

- 42%
- Fainted

I lose the speed tie (and the whole game), so I can't do nothing but send out Tyranitar and lose.

Yes! I outspeed, meaning that I will now win the game. That critical hit did not matter, because I am Choice Banded, and I can knock out the usual variants even when they are at full health.

Tomahawk9 sent out Tyranitar (lvl 100 Tyranitar ?)!
Tyranitar's Sand Stream whipped up a sandstorm!
Pointed stones dug into Tyranitar!
Tyranitar lost 12% of its health!

- 42%
- 34%

My final hope is me having misclicked and Tyranitar is holding a Choice SCarf, but it's very unlikely, so I prepare myself for a loss. gg ShinyAzelf!

He sends out his final Pokemon, Tyranitar, which luckily is not holding a Choice Scarf, in which he would have won. I click U-turn one final time and bring home the victory.

Azelf used U-turn!
It's super effective!
Tyranitar lost 34% of its health!
Tyranitar fainted!
ShinyAzelf wins!

After reading all the Gen V warstories I miss a good Gen IV story; it seems so... simple.

Dual commentary and a close battle that unfortunately is decided by a speed tie. 9/10

Its_A_Random

A distant memory
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I miss a Good Gen IV battle too. This was a pretty solid battle without any real hax in it, some good predictions on both sides & it was close all the way, close enough for it to go down to a speed tie. Double commentary is always good to have, albeit being a bit shallow on ShinyAzelf's part, but no real misplays I can see & it was very interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed this warstory.

9/10 for the battle, 8/10 for the formatting, 8/10 for the commentary. Overall: 8/10. A very good read imo. Good job.

Thanks for the comments guys! I thoroughly enjoyed the battle as well, especially the second last turn where I was breathless! Good job on the warstory Tomahawk!

And for those wondering, I'm not using this team for ST7, which is why I gave permission Tomahawk to post this =P

I really liked the warstory. CB Azelf is a fascinating Pokemon that I'm seeing used a lot more these days. Overall I'd give it a 9/10. Hope to see some more warstories like this in the future!

haunter

Banned deucer.
Well done guys. Nice battle and excellent format and commentary. I'm looking forward to see more warstories from you.

Good job guys, I enjoyed it.

Ironically, if ShinyAzelf was ballsier and tried for the speed tie 1st turn, the battle would have had the same effect, as that tie was was predictably a big move waiting to be made. Switching out definitely made the game more interesting, and its ironic it ended with the speed tie that probably wouldve decided the match had it been risked at the start.

@undisputed: I think if ShinyAzelf won the speed tie first turn, the battle would have been different as he had to send out a Pokemon first (Probably Heatran or Flygon, which made me send out Flygon, I U-Turn / EQ while he switches,...). But yeah, it ends with the beginning.

@Engineer Pikachu: uh... Fixed. Thanks!

Very good, good formating and double commentary make it always much more entertaining.
Also add props for the U-turn sweep.Very well played guys.

9 and 8/10?!?! Blasphemy! This is awesome, guys. Anyone who says otherwise is insane.

Shiny, why do you never post your epic battles?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)