The Shadow Dragon's Revenge

Hey Smogon this is Griff, I aimed to make a weatherless team with underrated threats, and this is my go at it. Please comment and enjoy rating my team!

Tentacruel (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
Tentacruel is the main defensive Pokemon of my team. Tenta's job here is to set up t-spikes, take special hits and act as a rapid spinner. I have scald just for burning stuff and dealing damage, Toxic is in case someone like Latios or Dragonite comes in and doesn't get effected by tspikes The reason I have rain dish is so that if I play a weather team I can get HP Back. All in all this Pokemon is a staple for stopping rain teams and clearing the field for Volcarona.

Volcarona (M) @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Flame Body
EVs: 160 HP / 252 SAtk / 96 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Rest
Volcarona is a very potent sweeper in the meta game. I opted for a bulkier set because I was fairly weak to Fighting attacks with my Hydreigon and wanted to make sure I could resist it. Fiery Dance is a great STAB move that is not as poweful but can raise your attack, which helps. Bug Buzz is my secondary STAB. Quiver Dance is the main reason to use Volcarona in the first place and rest is for ChestoResto action. The EVs are standard and are very well distributed for sweeping.

Metagross @ Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 6 Def
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
Metagross is a very underrated threat in 5th Gen. Now we all know that steel isn't the best attacking type but Bullet Punch is a great way to pick off weakened threats that are not prepared for it. Meteor Mash does have fairly low accuracy but hits very hard and if I get an attack raise I can pull of a mini sweep. EQ lets me hit Steels and Fire Types and helps with my coverage. Metagross is my only Stealth Rocker and I really love to use this guy.

Hydreigon (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Surf
Hydreigon is the star of the show. It helps immensely when I need to clean up the opponents team. Most people suspect that I'm choiced in some way, but after I killed their Reuniclus with Dark Pulse I can switch it up to surf on a Heatran. Its that simple. You just have to bluff the scarf effectively which is hard but makes Hydreigon and excellent member of the squad. I have Draco Meteor for super-powerful STAB, Dark Pulse for more reliable STAB, Fire Blast for coverage, and same with surf.

Gyarados (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 72 Atk / 96 Def / 184 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Stone Edge
Gyarados is the physical wall of my team that can still sweep when need be. Intimdate plus the amount of bulk I have invested will help me take Fighting Attacks aimed at Hydreigon and he is a great addition to me team. Dragon Dance gives me +1 in speed and special attack. Waterfall is a reliable STAB that sometimes flinches as a bonus. Stone Edge is for flying types.

Virizion @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 HP / 6 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Giga Drain
- Focus Blast
- Hidden Power [Ice]
Virizion is the Special Tank of the team. I like using its ability Justified if I come in on a choiced Dark attack and set up. I run this EV Spread so I have Maximum HP and Maximum Speed and calm mind to boost the stats that I didn't EV in. This set works really well. Giga Drain is a great way to regain Hp while still getting the power boost from LO. Focus Blast is shaky accuracy but is my best way to hit steels since no Aura Sphere for this guy. HP ice is for gliscor and dragons.

Well that was the team! Please rate and leave suggestions, and enjoy!

Pretty solid team you have there. I suggest you put focus blast on hydreigon to check ttar and I would also suggest a modest nature. I see you have 3 sweepers, now I think that some of these are waisted slots and could be used for better things. You dont have to any pokemon that can soak up some hits from powerful phsysical attackers. I suggest you change your gyarados to skarmory to take threats that could sweep you team such as dragonite, scrafty, haxorus, and other sweepers that clean your team. I also suggest you fit a scarfer in to take out some +1 spd threats. You can switch up what ever your comfortable with. Good luck

I always like to start with basics so here we go.
Every great team NEEDS a counter to stat boosted foes. Yet I see no roar, dragon tail, whirlwind, or even haze on this team. Don't ask me how many times i tried setting up defensives when my opponent went ahead an started used swords dance. 6+ attack scizor kills with bullet punch and can just X-scissor your slower pokes. Don't forget CM Latias, and opposing volcarona. Make adding one of the previously listed moves a priority, and give it to your most defensive poke.

As for typing, you have a diverse team. I'd invest in more than one ice type move, especially since Gliscor is so prevalent today. You need a very solid poke in your team, something that can switch into most situations. There's a reason why everyone has a ferrothorn, jellicent, or chansey on their team, it's because they work. You can go down a more original road, but you need a defensive core.

Suggestions for stats, it's nice to have something that is faster then almost everything else, and i'm not talking about a move like bullet punch. I would suggest an extremely fast sweeper that can easily pick of foes one after another if they've been weakened. If you don't want to change a poke you can take the common use of hydreigon and scarf it. I realize you use it as bluff, but the scarf helps in almost as many situations. Sometimes speed is better than divesity, but whatever you want.

Well that should get you thinking about your team and possible changes.
Good Luck Griff

Your team can easily be destroyed by an offensive Starmie. It can outspeed and hit every pokemon on your team for SE damage (except Metagross, but he won't like taking a Hydro Pump, especially in the rain) To remidy this, I recommend giving Hydriegon a scarf. Sure, being able to bluff the scarf and get a free kill is nice, but that isn't going to happen very often. Also, having a scarf can allow you to kill other common threats, like Lati@s, Dragonite after SR damage, and Tornadus, who would otherwise threaten your team.
Good luck on the ladder!

For Gyarados, I'd put the Defense EVs into something else. Quick Attack Scizor is NOT popular, and honestly I think the standard spread in the analysis should be changed to reflect this. In fact, since your team lacks a phaser, it might be useful to try a more defensive set with Dragon Tail and Rest + Sleep Talk. It'd synergise well with Tentacruel, giving you both physically and specially bulky mons, you could Dragon Tail stuff around to spread Toxic Spikes and just use Rest Talk to let the Toxic damage build up. It would also be a more reliable check to Scizor, Latias and Volcarona, who could beat through the DD set with repeated switch-ins.

If you want a fast attacker for your team, then you could try using a Scarf Jirachi instead of your Metagross. With Stealth Rock / Iron Head / Ice Punch (or anything else, really) / Trick you could fill multiple roles and still be able to revenge kill fast attackers that may have ceded momentum from you earlier. Then again, I'm a fan of good ol' Metagross too, so it's your call.

EDIT: Or just use Scarf Hydreigon instead. Your team could probably use the revenging capacity more than the utility of switching moves since you already have so many offensive mons on your team.

Pretty solid team you have there. I suggest you put focus blast on hydreigon to check ttar and I would also suggest a modest nature. I see you have 3 sweepers, now I think that some of these are waisted slots and could be used for better things. You dont have to any pokemon that can soak up some hits from powerful phsysical attackers. I suggest you change your gyarados to skarmory to take threats that could sweep you team such as dragonite, scrafty, haxorus, and other sweepers that clean your team. I also suggest you fit a scarfer in to take out some +1 spd threats. You can switch up what ever your comfortable with. Good luck
I do have Virizion who can cause major damage to TTar, and Fire Blast and Surf can abuser the other weathers well. I'll test it though. If I do change Gyarados to skarmory I am going to be very very weak to fire, I'd need to switchup my whole team. :)

I always like to start with basics so here we go.
Every great team NEEDS a counter to stat boosted foes. Yet I see no roar, dragon tail, whirlwind, or even haze on this team. Don't ask me how many times i tried setting up defensives when my opponent went ahead an started used swords dance. 6+ attack scizor kills with bullet punch and can just X-scissor your slower pokes. Don't forget CM Latias, and opposing volcarona. Make adding one of the previously listed moves a priority, and give it to your most defensive poke.

As for typing, you have a diverse team. I'd invest in more than one ice type move, especially since Gliscor is so prevalent today. You need a very solid poke in your team, something that can switch into most situations. There's a reason why everyone has a ferrothorn, jellicent, or chansey on their team, it's because they work. You can go down a more original road, but you need a defensive core.

Suggestions for stats, it's nice to have something that is faster then almost everything else, and i'm not talking about a move like bullet punch. I would suggest an extremely fast sweeper that can easily pick of foes one after another if they've been weakened. If you don't want to change a poke you can take the common use of hydreigon and scarf it. I realize you use it as bluff, but the scarf helps in almost as many situations. Sometimes speed is better than divesity, but whatever you want.

Well that should get you thinking about your team and possible changes.
Good Luck Griff
I think I will put Roar on my Gyarados. Thanks for the suggestion.
@Other people I'll change Hydreigon to scarf and see how it goes.
Thx. I will make Gyara defensive, anyone have a good set?

Hey there
First off this is a fairly solid team.
I'd use Leftovers over Life Orb on Virizion Since your running a tank and all.
2ndly I'd use Protect Over Toxic on Tentacruel So if you need extra HP you get it immediately
3rd Change your Gyarados Set to Substitute, Bounce, Dragon Dance, and Waterfall. Trust me it works a hella ton better.
Good Luck Bro!

OOH OOH OOH! I LIKE THE LOOK OF THIS TEAM.

Purely because you're using two of the same pokes as me but slightly different move sets which have trolled their way to 410 on PO server so far, so i'm gonna suggest different movesets for them, although mine are on a rain team so yours might work better but i'll start off with my favorite:

SCARFMOXIEDOS!
252atk/252spe/4hp
Adamant Nature, Moxie
-Waterfall
-Ice Fang
-Earthquake
-Stone edge

Deffo not bounce on a choice set... that would go badly, but this thing gets so many surprise kills its not even funny, first poke that sees it just assumes defensive set or DD set, not expecting a blistering 394 speed? i think. anyway, then it gets to +1 and if nothing can resist a waterfall its pretty much game over as you rack up your attack. You don't HAVE to incorporate it in your team but you should absolutely try it out. (works better in rain of course, boosted waterfalls ohh myy godd)

I'm also using the less predictable version of virizon:
Virizon, Justified
@leftovers, jolly nature
252Spe/252Atk/4hp
-Swords dance
-Close combat
-Leaf blade
-Stone edge

Wrecks rain and sand. Nuff said.

but seriously, they would work great on this team, offense is the way to go. And the gyarados would sort the "revenging" issue noted above, you get an unexpected revenge kill and get rewarded with a healthy +1 :)

EDIT: Seems like todays metagame is too predictable, unpredictable sets is the way to get high rankings IMO, prediction is everything tbh. Give it a go

Peace

coughing's sets really look interesting for your team; but tbh ScarfMoxie Dos sweeps are very hard to pull off considering that you're locked into a move. Nonetheless, I'm gonna go test these sets too =p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)