ORAS OU The Photon Team

Hello there Trainers. I got a team I've constructed that has great potential but I think it can be improved for it to perform even better. As the old saying goes, "There is no limit to how far you can go". Yeah, I know the team sounds pretty bland because I can't think of a proper team name but I don't think that's important when it comes to team building first.

Anywho, here's my current OU team I've been using.

Wonderbolt (Manectric)
Nature: Timid
Ability: Lightning Rod
EV's: 4 HP/252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe
Held Item: Manectite
Thunderbolt
Overheat
Hidden Power Ice
Volt Switch

At first, I was uninterested by this Pokemon as Mega Gallade was on my mind but when I gave this Pokemon a go, it can really go the distance. Most of the time, I lead with this Pokemon so it's Intimidate + Volt Switch strategy can take effect.

Moves:

Thunderbolt lets it deal as much damage as it can and to finish off opponents with a hearty zap!

Overheat deals great damage and provides more type coverage against Steel, Grass and Ice types. I chose Overheat over Flamethrower so it can OHKO Pokemon like Excadrill and Bisharp.

Hidden Power Ice again provides more type coverage as it makes Dragon and some Ground type Pokemon a run for their money. I'm talking to you, Landorus. Actually, Landorus is one of the those predictable Pokemon that can still retaliate against my Manectric since it might be holding a Choice Scarf.

Volt Switch is one of the reasons that make this Pokemon great. Once I see a physical attacking Pokemon like Gyarados, I send Manectric out, let it Intimidate and Volt Switch to a different team member.

Threats:

Choice Scarfed users and certain Ground types like Gastrodon as they can leave a big dent on Mega Manectric. Also, at the beginning of the battle when this Pokemon hits the field, I have to use a turn to Mega Evolve her so Pokemon like Latios can outspeed and strike with a heavy move.

Diana DX (Dragonite)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Multiscale
EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Held Item: Lum Berry
Dragon Claw
Earthquake
Fire Punch
Dragon Dance

Ever expected a Jolly Dragonite before? Well, now you do. Dragonite was one of my favorite team members back in Diamond & Pearl so bringing her back in my team fills me with nostalgia. Anyway, this Pokemon takes a role as a late-game sweeper as it can finish the job with a single Dragon Dance. Plus, it can leave opponents off guard since most of the time, Dragonite has ExtremeSpeed. This begs the question why use a Pokemon with ExtremeSpeed when it has a move that raises Speed. I understand why, to outspeed others who have a first priority move.

Moves:

Dragon Claw is the best STAB move for Dragonite as Outrage can leave it confused and Dragon Rush can miss.

Fire Punch is to deal with Pokemon like Scizor, Bisharp, Ferrothorn and Klefki.

Now since Dragonite has a Jolly nature, I choose Earthquake because it grants her more type coverage over Pokemon such as Heatran, Magnezone and opposing Manectrics. Without it, Dragonite can have a hard time sweeping Pokemon teams.

Finally, this Pokemon can't sweep without the Dragon Dance. Since Lum Berry is there to take whatever status problem the Pokemon might face, it gives her a free turn and the opponent 'a bad time'.

Threats:

Ice, Fairy, Rock and faster Dragon types in particular. If I see them, either let Dragonite deal as much damage as she can or switch to something else.

Also, there are Pokemon that can Intimidate which lets them take a hit and be able to counter with a certain move. I'm talking to you Landoros. (Seriously, that Pokemon is just all over the place.)

Another thing to note is that Dragonite can have her performance crippled when hit by the Stealth Rock as a full sweep requires the ability, Multiscale. This is why I usually stick to a more defensive play before switching into Dragonite.

Steelthorn (Ferrothorn)
Nature: Sassy
Ability: Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 HP/80 Def/176 Sp.Def
Held Item: Rocky Helmet
Gyro Ball
Power Whip
Leech Seed
Stealth Rock

Ah...the spiky Pokemon Trainers don't wanna hug. Ferrothorn is a great supporter for many teams, especially this one. I chose this Pokemon to be more specially defensive back in Pokemon Black and White to handle special attacks more easily. Don't worry, I know it can also handle some physical attacks and let my opponent take heavy recoil damage with the help of Iron Barbs + Rocky Helmet.

The plan when this Pokemon is out is to set up Stealth Rock as quick as possible and follow with Leech Seed most of the time. There can be some situations where Leech Seed is used first so I have to analyse before making my move.

Moves:

Since Ferrothorn has a Speed-lowering nature, Gyro Ball packs a wallop on fast Pokemon such as Weavile, Aerodactyl and Froslass.

Power Whip is to deal with Water, Ground and Rock types.

Leech Seed is for Ferrothorn to restore HP and sap some out of tanks.

Lastly, Stealth Rock is to support the team by dealing additional damage to opponents (and OHKO Shedinja) every time they're sent onto the field. But you all know that, don't you?

Threats:

Fire and Fighting types. Need I say more?

Actually, yes because Taunt and Choice + Trick users can cripple his moveset. When hit by either of them, Ferrothorn is a sitting Ducklett...or...chestnut...or whatever!

Pixie Favor (Clefable)
Nature: Calm
Ability: Unaware
EV's: 252 HP/160 Def/96 Sp.Def
Held Item: Leftovers
Moonblast
Wish
Protect
Aromatherapy

Before Clefable, there was Sylveon with his great Sp.Def. However, I found out that my team can be vulnerable to sweepers so I had to switch for this Pokemon...and boy does he do a good job. This Pokemon with Unaware can stop sweepers who can pose a threat to my entire Pokemon team. Plus, he's a great supporter both Aromatherapy and Wish.

Moves:

Moonblast is his only attacking move and works great against opponents such as Hydreigon, Salamence and even Keldeo.

Wish is one of the reasons Clefable is in my team. Play the long game and support other Pokemon who had been battered by hits. I can see why many Trainers don't like facing this Pokemon as it is a toughie to take down.

Protect lets me predict which move is coming up and let Wish's effect...well, take effect.

Since my Pokemon team can be vulnerable to some status inflicting moves, Aromatherapy gets rid of those problems.

Threats:

When Clefable is on the field, I have to be wary of Steel and Poison type Pokemon such as Bisharp, Scizor, Metagross, Ferrothorn and Gengar. They can make short work of him with a single hit.

Also like my Ferrothorn, Clefable can be Choice + Trick and Taunt bait. When he's hit by any of them, it can cripple his strategy.

Jerry DX (Weavile)
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Pressure
EV's: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Held Item: Life Orb
Icicle Crash
Knock Off
Low Kick
Ice Shard

I was thinking Hawlucha would be a good option for this team but I found out I didn't have move to easily handle Psychic and Ghost types. I needed a team member who is fast and powerful. And that Pokemon is...Weavile! This Pokemon takes the role as a revenge sweeper if one of my team member are done. I let Weavile wait until a team member bit the dust and sent him out to avenge him or her.
Again, Weavile is one of those Pokemon I had in my first competitive team back in Diamond and Pearl.

Moves:

Icicle Crash is one of his strongest STAB moves and can handle Pokemon such as Garchomp, Gliscor and Serperior easily. As long as it doesn't miss that is.

Knock Off is there for more damage and getting rid of opposing held items.

Low Kick is there to give Weavile more type coverage against Pokemon like Tyranitar, Bisharp and even Excadrill.

Since there are those that have first priority moves, Ice Shard is to get over those situations and finish of opponents with low HP.

Threats:

Again, Fire, Fighting and especially Bug, Rock, Steel and Fairy can make Weavile say bye-bye! Since Weavile has fragile defense, he can't take as much damage as he should.

Kraken (Tentacruel)
Nature: Bold
Ability: Rain Dish
EV's: 252 HP/248 Def/8 Def
Held Item: Black Sludge
Scald
Acid Spray
Toxic
Rapid Spin

What's this? Tentacruel? Well, yeah because I needed a Pokemon that can take out defensive Fairy type Pokemon. Ferrothorn is one of the good options against them buuuuuut some of them carry a Fire type move. So, Tentacruel's the one to give my team a helping hand.

As there is a chance I might face Rain Dance teams, Tentacruel has Rain Dish for him to come back for more. Not only is he a good Pokemon to take down Fairy types, he is a good Rain Dance counter against those who do not have Mega Swampert.

Moves:

Scald is to inflict damage and even burn opponents. A good move to have when up against tanks.

Acid Spray I thought might be an odd choice but it can lower the special defense of Pokemon, making them more vulnerable to special attacks. Pokemon such as Sylveon and Clefable wouldn't last long when hit by Acid Spray most of the time.

Toxic is to take down walls and finish off opponents with attacks.

Since I would expect Stealth Rock and Spikes in most battles, Rapid Spin is one way to handle those situations so my team members like Dragonite can make a clean sweep.

Threats:

Psychic, Electric and Ground type Pokemon like Mega Gardevoir, Alakazam, Mega Slowbro, Landorus, Magnezone and Garchomp can take down Tentacruel with ease.

Another thing to mention is Tentacruel can be worn down by Will-O-Wisp and a certain amount of moves. Even with Black Sludge, he can make an easy target for other opposing Pokemon.

And just like my Ferrothorn and Clefable, this Pokemon can be Choice + Trick and Taunt bait. I shouldn't really go into too much detail on what would happen if he gets hit by either Trick or Taunt, shouldn't I?

And that's my current Pokemon team. So far, it's a very strong team with a good win ratio. The biggest issues I have is that this team has an 'Edge Quake' weakness and might have a difficult time when up against Scizor. But I know it can be improved I have to think really hard on what changes I must make to the team. Maybe put Keldeo in there but I dunno.

Please let me know if there any changes necessary to the team.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day! ;)​

Ehy :)
My suggest is to use Adamant>Jolly nature on
because Dragonite don't need to jolly nature after 1 Dragon Dance, and if you use Jolly the power drop is very noticeable. Change 4 Evs in Def>HP to suffer less damage from Stealth Rock. Extreme Speed>Fire Punch because the priority is more important for Dragonite, because allow you to outspeed Talonflame or other Revegekiller.
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

you don't need to Unaware/Aromateraphy support in this team, that take off the momentum and doesn't really help. I think that CM Clefable>Unaware is a good option for this team, because give you a second wincon and help vs more weakness of the team such a Electric Spam. Flamethower is a good option, because is a really support for Dragonite sweep's. Thunder-Wave however is really suggest, because help you vs most threat, such a Alakazam Keldeo Talonflame Charizard and Tornadus-T.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

I think that Starmie>Tentacluel is a good chose for this team, because Tentacluel is not really viable in OU and Starmie give you a reliable recovery and a Status Absorber.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Charizard X and Sand Team destroy this Team, i think that Stealth Rock Landorus>Weavile help you vs this problem, because give you a good support vs Excadrill and Charizard and complete the Volturn with Manectric. Spikes>Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn because you have a 2 stealth rock setter, and Spikes+Stealth Rock support, give you a many chances to setup with Dragonite.
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Summary of the Changes:
>

>

• Spikes on
  • the set on
  • the set on
Team Complete:
Manectric @ Manectite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- OverHeat
- Hidden Power Ice

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Hope help you and GL! :)

Ehy :)
My suggest is to use Adamant>Jolly nature on
because Dragonite don't need to jolly nature after 1 Dragon Dance, and if you use Jolly the power drop is very noticeable. Change 4 Evs in Def>HP to suffer less damage from Stealth Rock. Extreme Speed>Fire Punch because the priority is more important for Dragonite, because allow you to outspeed Talonflame or other Revegekiller.
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

you don't need to Unaware/Aromateraphy support in this team, that take off the momentum and doesn't really help. I think that CM Clefable>Unaware is a good option for this team, because give you a second wincon and help vs more weakness of the team such a Electric Spam. Flamethower is a good option, because is a really support for Dragonite sweep's. Thunder-Wave however is really suggest, because help you vs most threat, such a Alakazam Keldeo Talonflame Charizard and Tornadus-T.
Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

I think that Starmie>Tentacluel is a good chose for this team, because Tentacluel is not really viable in OU and Starmie give you a reliable recovery and a Status Absorber.
Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Charizard X and Sand Team destroy this Team, i think that Stealth Rock Landorus>Weavile help you vs this problem, because give you a good support vs Excadrill and Charizard and complete the Volturn with Manectric. Spikes>Stealth Rock on Ferrothorn because you have a 2 stealth rock setter, and Spikes+Stealth Rock support, give you a many chances to setup with Dragonite.
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Summary of the Changes:
>

>

• Spikes on
  • the set on
  • the set on
Team Complete:
Manectric @ Manectite
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- OverHeat
- Hidden Power Ice

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave

Starmie @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Psyshock

Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Hope help you and GL! :)
Thanks for the feedback Astral. I'll keep an eye on these improvements.

Sun

Who cares if one more light goes out? Well I do...
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Yo,
I noticed your team difficult to defeat Mega Venusaur, you only have Dragonite which can make them considerable damage, it is not enough.I suggest to put Adamant>jolly on dragonite,because have more power,also i think Extreme speed>fire punch is Mandatory in every Dragonite set,as Astral say,it is very good for revenge kill stuff such as talonflame,weavile, it is very good for late game sweep,also Outrage instead Dragon Claw,usually the Lum berry variant run outrage,its fine because can beat bulky stuff like manaphy,keldeo,defensive lando,Mega venusaur,chansey,all things that you can not kill with dragon claw easily.
I think you need to use Leftovers>Rocky helmet on Ferrothorn, because it helps to boost your health as well as having leech seed.Se instead want to use it at all costs the rocky helmet, you should use Protect>Power Whip, which helps you along to leech seed to recover more life, also ev spread is put to correct:252 Hp / 88 Def / 168 SpD .
Another variation is to FerrothornTwave+Iron head: it is very useful to paralyze charizard x, Heatran, which are common switches for Ferrothorn, it also helps against Clefable, paralyzing create a monstrous paraflinch.
You must correct the ev spread of Clefable and the set uses this:252hp / 172 Def / 84 SpD Calm nature allow clefable to take 3hko by psychic by mega Zam,thunderbolt by thundurus and thunderbolt by mega manectric,also 172def allow clef to take 3hko by icicle crash from LO Weav and psyschock from latios,you can use a sassy nature with 24 IV on spe for take 3hko by ferrothorn gyro ball.Also put this set of Clefable:Moonblast/ThunderWave/softboiled/Calm Mind its a good wincon for your team :), twave help vs torn-t,zard x,weavile,mega lop,mega alakazam,kyurem-b,mega Metagross and Heatran,etc..
Now the team needs is a solid stallbreaker and a counter for charizard y,i suggest to use Manaphy>weavile ,it is really amazing vs stall teams,can use Rain dance for heal,can use Tail glow and it have a good coverage. Use this set: tail Glow/ Scald /rain dance/Energyball Or Psychic or Ice beam, Energy ball help you to beat bulky waters such as mega slowbro,suicune,gastro, ice beam help you to beat dragons such as latios,tankchomp, and grass mons like serperior and amoonguss,Psychic is mainly for beat Mega venu after 1 tail glow.manaphy with this set can beat easily chansey.
Now serves as a counter for charizard y, mega Manectric,i suggest Latios>tentacruel,latios is a good wallbreaker,good defogger,is a great pokemon now,use this set:Draco meteor/psyschock/defog/roost or Hp fire, roost its better for counter charizard Y and mega manectric,hp fire is good against ferrothorn and Scizor.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers /rocky helmet
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip /protect
- Leech Seed

OR

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder wave

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball / Ice beam / Psychic

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost / Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

Hope ive help you and GL with the team ^.^

Yo,
I noticed your team difficult to defeat Mega Venusaur, you only have Dragonite which can make them considerable damage, it is not enough.I suggest to put Adamant>jolly on dragonite,because have more power,also i think Extreme speed>fire punch is Mandatory in every Dragonite set,as Astral say,it is very good for revenge kill stuff such as talonflame,weavile, it is very good for late game sweep,also Outrage instead Dragon Claw,usually the Lum berry variant run outrage,its fine because can beat bulky stuff like manaphy,keldeo,defensive lando,Mega venusaur,chansey,all things that you can not kill with dragon claw easily.
I think you need to use Leftovers>Rocky helmet on Ferrothorn, because it helps to boost your health as well as having leech seed.Se instead want to use it at all costs the rocky helmet, you should use Protect>Power Whip, which helps you along to leech seed to recover more life, also ev spread is put to correct:252 Hp / 88 Def / 168 SpD .
Another variation is to FerrothornTwave+Iron head: it is very useful to paralyze charizard x, Heatran, which are common switches for Ferrothorn, it also helps against Clefable, paralyzing create a monstrous paraflinch.
You must correct the ev spread of Clefable and the set uses this:252hp / 172 Def / 84 SpD Calm nature allow clefable to take 3hko by psychic by mega Zam,thunderbolt by thundurus and thunderbolt by mega manectric,also 172def allow clef to take 3hko by icicle crash from LO Weav and psyschock from latios,you can use a sassy nature with 24 IV on spe for take 3hko by ferrothorn gyro ball.Also put this set of Clefable:Moonblast/ThunderWave/softboiled/Calm Mind its a good wincon for your team :), twave help vs torn-t,zard x,weavile,mega lop,mega alakazam,kyurem-b,mega Metagross and Heatran,etc..
Now the team needs is a solid stallbreaker and a counter for charizard y,i suggest to use Manaphy>weavile ,it is really amazing vs stall teams,can use Rain dance for heal,can use Tail glow and it have a good coverage. Use this set: tail Glow/ Scald /rain dance/Energyball Or Psychic or Ice beam, Energy ball help you to beat bulky waters such as mega slowbro,suicune,gastro, ice beam help you to beat dragons such as latios,tankchomp, and grass mons like serperior and amoonguss,Psychic is mainly for beat Mega venu after 1 tail glow.manaphy with this set can beat easily chansey.
Now serves as a counter for charizard y, mega Manectric,i suggest Latios>tentacruel,latios is a good wallbreaker,good defogger,is a great pokemon now,use this set:Draco meteor/psyschock/defog/roost or Hp fire, roost its better for counter charizard Y and mega manectric,hp fire is good against ferrothorn and Scizor.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers /rocky helmet
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip /protect
- Leech Seed

OR

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Impish Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Leech Seed
- Stealth Rock

Clefable @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder wave

Manaphy @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 80 HP / 252 SpA / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Rain Dance
- Energy Ball / Ice beam / Psychic

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost / Hidden Power Fire
- Defog

Hope ive help you and GL with the team ^.^
Thanks for helping out a Trainer in need. These changes will definitely improve my team! :)

Reactions: Sun

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)