The Killer Insect, Genesect

With a lot of people when they get swept they decide that they hate that pokemon and never use it. For me it's quite the opposite. One day somebody completely wrecked my team with a choice banded genesect so I decided that it was a must have for my team, so here it is.

my team at a glance

Genesect @ Choice Band

Ability: Download

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk

Hasty Nature

- U-turn

- Flamethrower

- Extreme Speed

- Iron Head

As stated before, this guy is a total monster. He completely runs through teams that are unprepared for him. The choice band is kinda unexpected getting some surprise KO's. This also makes his U-turn especially nasty and makes him a fantastic pivot. Iron head for stab and the very rare luck hax. Extreme Speed turns this bug into an incredible revenge killer. The flamethrower can kind of suck sometimes because of the choice band but the coverage is worth it. This guy forms a volturn core with rotom-W and landerous. This is the only guy that I am not too open to change except for evs or a move.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk

Calm Nature

- Hydro Pump

- Will-O-Wisp

- Volt Switch

- Pain Split

I don't care what pokemon are on your team, I bet a rotom can make the team better in some way. Same thing here, this guy is a fantastic special defensive pivot. Hydro pump hits all pokemon that don't resist it very hard. Will-o-wisp is almost a must have on all defensive rotoms (even some scarf ones). Volt switch is what makes this guy such an awesome pivot. Now as for pain split, I decided against the normal chesto rest set for reasons that I just wanted a bit more offensive rotom and I decided that pain split would be a good option. Like said previously this forms a volt turn core with landerous and genesct and does its job well

Lucario (F) @ Lucarionite

Ability: Justified

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef

Jolly Nature

- Close Combat

- Bullet Punch

- Crunch

- Swords Dance

This is the mega of the team. He is my most major sweeper of this team as well as team cleaner upper. His move set is pretty straightforward. Close combat coming off of a 140 attack hurts a ton. Bullet punch with adaptability makes this another revenge killer and a good one at that. Crunch is the coverage since ghost types seem to be becoming more popular. Swords dance is where the sweeping potential comes from. This guy works kind of independently from the rest of the team, but does do duel revenge killing with genesect.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry

Trait: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP/ 252 SpD/ 4 Def

Careful Nature

- Rock Slide

- Pursuit

- Ice Beam

- Crunch

So after like a week and a half I have finally gotten around to changing sableye to tyranitar (what can I say I had no internet acces for a week). So the reason For tyranitar is that I failed to realized that Charizard y destroys most of my team. The chople berry is to lessen the fighting type weakness (obviously). rock slide over stone edge is because of the previously Mentioned hatred of missing. Pursuit for trapping and ice beam for special coverage. I chose crunch over fireblast because I wanted reliable stab. thanks TCR for the suggestion

Sableye @ Leftovers

Ability: Prankster

EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk

Impish Nature

- Will-O-Wisp

- Taunt

- Recover

- Knock Off

This pokemon is surprisingly good. With all these mega kangs running (which will soon be banned) around this guy doesn't just chill in the back of the party. This gen is more physically offensive than ever before so priority Will-o-Wisp is extremely nice. Taunt is to prevent setup fodder and recover is just for instant reliable recovery. Knock off is there for more utility and to hit mega's for a good amount of damage

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers

Ability: Intimidate

EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk

Impish Nature

- U-turn

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Stone Edge

This guy is my offensive pivot. He takes hits like a champ and sets up stealth rocks in the process which is really nice. Earthquake does some massive damage with his attack. I decided to go with stone edge for the attractiveness of the quake edge combo. U-turn is what makes this guy such a nice pivot. He is part of my volt turn core and also does a good job at taking physical hits.

Latios (M) @ Life Orb

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP

Timid Nature

- Draco Meteor

- Psyshock

- Surf

- Defog

This is my team’s special attacker. Sure I have rotom but this is the pokemon that really dishes out the heavy special hits. Plus he is my emergency sweeper. Draco meteor destroys every bodies face if they don't resist it. psyshock is the more reliable stab and sees more usage because of that. Surf is for coverage. Now I have defog because half my team is volt turn so they like hazards off the field. this guy does a good job of making up for genesects and lucario's weakness's while providing defog support so all in all a good pokemon.

and here is an importable if you want it
Genesect @ Choice Band
Ability: Download
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SAtk
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Extreme Speed
- Iron Head

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split

Lucario (F) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover
- Knock Off

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Surf
- Defog

Last edited:
This team looks pretty solid, despite it having a few issues with switching to fairy types (the only pokemon in your team that resists fairies is Genesect). I personally use a Genesect - Landorus-T - Rotom-W Volturn core and it works wonders. If you don't like flamethrower on Genesect, you might want to consider running Blaze Kick. Ice beam would be another great option for Genesect, as it would get rid of your opponent's Landorus-T, a very common switch in to Genesect.

This team looks pretty solid, despite it having a few issues with switching to fairy types (the only pokemon in your team that resists fairies is Genesect). I personally use a Genesect - Landorus-T - Rotom-W Volturn core and it works wonders. If you don't like flamethrower on Genesect, you might want to consider running Blaze Kick. Ice beam would be another great option for Genesect, as it would get rid of your opponent's Landorus-T, a very common switch in to Genesect.
Thanks. I like the idea of blaze kick, I really do but I don't want to risk accuracy, plus its nice to suprise to use a special move when they think I am banded. Ill try out ice beam though. As for the fairy problem, I do see it but I take care of the most relevent (azumaril, togikiss, and mega mawile) with my pokemon pretty well.

First of all love how the only moving sprite is lando-t. Second of all great team mostly because genesect is broken as fuck because of the great synergy. You will have to retire this team eventually though as genesect will be inevitably banned well either that or find a replacement. Overall though wouldn't really change anything besides maybe latios-latias as it suits the bulky offensive metagame but even then i give it a 9/10

Ninja'd, but I was going to ask about the Flamethrower vs. Blaze Kick thing as well.

One thing I noticed was that, if an opposing Volcarona gets a +1 boost, it sweeps your entire team with Fire Blast / Bug Buzz / Giga Drain. It can set up on Lucario, 3/4 of Genesect's moves, and potentially even Latios and Rotom-W if it really wants to. I know you're probably not going to lock yourself into Flamethrower if there's still a Volcarona on the bench, but still:

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 279-329 (74.5 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 187-220 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

At the very least, it leaves no set up opportunity if you HAVE to be locked in to a fire move. Similarly, Flamethrower fails to kill Lucario, specially defensive Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc while Blaze Kick obviously does not. If you're going to use Ice Beam, it makes to sense to go with the special move, but I can't think of too many examples when Flamethrower is a better choice over the Banded Blaze Kick (except the 90% accuracy, which admittedly does suck). EDIT: Flamethrower does get the 2HKO on Max Defense Skarmory, though.

Anyways yeah, just make sure you're prepared for Volcarona, but otherwise you've got a really strong offensive presence in CB Genesect and M-Lucario and the tried-and-true defensive Rotom-W + Lando-T core to support them. Cool.

Last edited:
Ninja'd, but I was going to ask about the Flamethrower vs. Blaze Kick thing as well.

One thing I noticed was that, if an opposing Volcarona gets a +1 boost, it sweeps your entire team. It can set up on Lucario, 3/4 of Genesect's moves, and potentially even Latios and Rotom-W if it really wants to. I know you're probably not going to lock yourself into Flamethrower if there's still a Volcarona on the bench, but still:

+1 252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 279-329 (74.5 - 87.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Genesect Blaze Kick vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Volcarona: 187-220 (50 - 58.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

At the very least, it leaves no set up opportunity if you HAVE to be locked in to a fire move. Similarly, Flamethrower fails to kill Lucario, specially defensive Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, etc while Blaze Kick obviously does not. If you're going to use Ice Beam, it makes to sense to go with the special move, but I can't think of too many examples when Flamethrower is a better choice over the Banded Blaze Kick (except the 90% accuracy, which admittedly does suck). EDIT: Flamethrower does get the 2HKO on Max Defense Skarmory, though.

Anyways yeah, just make sure you're prepared for Volcarona, but otherwise you've got a really strong offensive presence in CB Genesect and M-Lucario and the tried-and-true defensive Rotom-W + Lando-T core to support them. Cool.
You put blaze kick for both and no flamethrower calcs plus onces neutral while the others not?

You put blaze kick for both and no flamethrower calcs plus onces neutral while the others not?
You're silly. I wanted to show how much Blaze Kick can do with or without the Download boost. Flamethrower is obviously doing negligible damage and gives Volcarona a free chance to switch in and set up, while Blaze Kick never does (barring a miss). But, since you asked:

4 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 73-87 (23.47 - 27.97%) -- possible 4HKO
+1 4 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 109-129 (35.04 - 41.47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You'll note that this time I'm using a Volcarona with no bulk, to show the other extreme ;)

Last edited:
You're silly. I wanted to show how much Blaze Kick can do with or without the Download boost. Flamethrower is obviously doing negligible damage and gives Volcarona a free chance to switch in and set up, while Blaze Kick never does (barring a miss). But, since you asked:

4 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 73-87 (23.47 - 27.97%) -- possible 4HKO
+1 4 SpA Genesect Flamethrower vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 109-129 (35.04 - 41.47%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

You'll note that this time I'm using a Volcarona with no bulk, to show the other extreme ;)
Sorry about that thought you was comparing flamethrower vs blaze kick and misspelt or something.

Here is the thing, extremespeed does almost the same damage as blaze kick on volcarona plus volcarona outspeeds him. that being said you do make a good point, right now I am debating between ice beam and blaze kick, not sure though, thanks for the suggestion.

Here is the thing, extremespeed does almost the same damage as blaze kick on volcarona plus volcarona outspeeds him. that being said you do make a good point, right now I am debating between ice beam and blaze kick, not sure though, thanks for the suggestion.
Yeah for sure. It was a really situational calc, referring to Volcaronas switching in to Genesect hoping to set up. If it's in and especially if it's got the +1 boost already, you'll have to nail it with ESpeed and try to finish it with... well, I don't know what you'd do. Maybe Bullet Punch. Point is Volcarona's not hugely common at the moment but it's a serious threat nonetheless. Good luck either way!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, got the request, from what it looks like here you run pretty cookie cutter voltturn into Mega Luke to clean up. However, Probably the biggest thing I can see is just how weak you are to Charizard Y. It completely dismantles your team, able to come in on genesect, or Sableye, or most of Landorus and most of Rotom. Or even Latios after a Draco Meteor. This is a pretty big problem in my opinion as it quite literally tears you apart for practically anything to start punching through. A simple fix to this is to run Chople Berry Tyranitar over Sableye. Mega Kang is getting the boot, quite soon, and Sableye has always been a meh pokemon. Running Tyranitar gives you solid synergy for the rest of your team, a second Talonflame counter, and nice pursuit trapping so things like Latias cant repeatedly come in and fuck with you. Basically, sableye sux tyranitar is beast.

Run Rock Slide on Landorus. You definitely hate those misses, Rock Slide is just better overall. Ice Punch is also a better option on Lucario since your team does a good job of getting rid of Aegislash, and hitting Landorus-T is a better option. Lastly, I personally prefer Chestoresto Rotom. But thats just me. Good Luck with your team!

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Crunch/ Fire Blast

Hey man, got the request, from what it looks like here you run pretty cookie cutter voltturn into Mega Luke to clean up. However, Probably the biggest thing I can see is just how weak you are to Charizard Y. It completely dismantles your team, able to come in on genesect, or Sableye, or most of Landorus and most of Rotom. Or even Latios after a Draco Meteor. This is a pretty big problem in my opinion as it quite literally tears you apart for practically anything to start punching through. A simple fix to this is to run Chople Berry Tyranitar over Sableye. Mega Kang is getting the boot, quite soon, and Sableye has always been a meh pokemon. Running Tyranitar gives you solid synergy for the rest of your team, a second Talonflame counter, and nice pursuit trapping so things like Latias cant repeatedly come in and fuck with you. Basically, sableye sux tyranitar is beast.

Run Rock Slide on Landorus. You definitely hate those misses, Rock Slide is just better overall. Ice Punch is also a better option on Lucario since your team does a good job of getting rid of Aegislash, and hitting Landorus-T is a better option. Lastly, I personally prefer Chestoresto Rotom. But thats just me. Good Luck with your team!

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Careful Nature
- Rock Slide
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Crunch/ Fire Blast
Hey, thanks for the advice, really apreciate it. for some odd reason I make cookie cutter teams without meaning to (even though I brainstorm these teams in french). As for the tyranitar, I think I will switch sableye out for tyranitar because of the iminent kang boot (mega luc used to be kang on this team). As for ice punch as long as jellecent doesn't become too popular that sounds like a good option. As with rock slide, its not so much about missing as going from 100% to anything lower. I think I will keep stone edge.
But thanks for taking your time to rate this team and have a good day.

would consider turning latios into latias and building it tanky, because as said above if your latios goes down your team really falls apart to any grass/fire combo, whch is not that uncommon on good teams since it's so anti meta. charizard, venusaur, roselia, etc to name a few

would consider turning latios into latias and building it tanky, because as said above if your latios goes down your team really falls apart to any grass/fire combo, whch is not that uncommon on good teams since it's so anti meta. charizard, venusaur, roselia, etc to name a few
I think I will probably switch latios out for latias, I will miss the nuke but having a bulkier pokemon with defog will be nice. I will have to do some testing first but all in all latias doesn't sound like a bad idea.

First of all love how the only moving sprite is lando-t. Second of all great team mostly because genesect is broken as fuck because of the great synergy. You will have to retire this team eventually though as genesect will be inevitably banned well either that or find a replacement. Overall though wouldn't really change anything besides maybe latios-latias as it suits the bulky offensive metagame but even then i give it a 9/10
Yeah this team is gonna get torn apart by mega luke and genesects inevitable ban to ubers, if I was you I would start to make another team though this one is good you're not gonna be able to ladder with it for much longer.

Yeah this team is gonna get torn apart by mega luke and genesects inevitable ban to ubers, if I was you I would start to make another team though this one is good you're not gonna be able to ladder with it for much longer.
I will probably replace genesect with scizor when the ban comes, no idea what will replace mega luc though. Actually this team used to have mega kang instead of lucario but had to switch that. But I think I will be able to keep mega lucario for quite a bit of time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)