The Fellowship of the (Poke)Ring-OU RMT

Introduction: Hello there Smogon! Welcome to my newest RMT for the OU tier. I've had this team for along time, and have finally decided to post it here for your critique. While the ranking system isn't fully in place on Pokemon Lab yet (I don't think?) so I cannot look up my CRE, this team has I would guess this team has a win % of 75 or greater. Without further ado The Fellowship of the Ring

At a Glance:

Weakness and Resistances Chart:

Team Building for those who are interested:

It all started back when Salamence was on the chopping block for being uber. I was reading the thread about it and it was brought up by someone about how awesome and underused choice band Salamence was. So I decided to make a team with him on it.

Next I tackled the lead situation. This was the time of rising Machamp lead popularity, and I was sick and tired of the thing, so I decided to find a lead that could 1HKO the guy and not be totally useless for everything else, so I brought in Choice Specs Heatran

Next I needed an actual sweeper, since Salamence was a wall breaker. I went to ol' reliable: Swords Dance Lucario.

Since Mence was choiced, it would need to switch around freely if possible. To this end, I added my personal favorite spinner: Starmie.

Next up I added Scizor, cause well he's Scizor (and my team was DDmence weak)

Finally, I noticed that I had 0 electric resists and no stealth rock. Gliscor was added to the team, plus he helps out against stall with his taunt.

After Salamence got banned, I needed to replace him. Dragonite was the closest thing (though not quite as good)

In Depth:

Gandalf (Heatran) (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 40 HP/216 Spd/252 SpAtk
Modest nature (+SpAtk,-Atk)
- Dragon Pulse
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power(Grass)

Why Heatran? Well I first thought of Heatran because I was sick of those damn Machamp leads that were the new big thing back when this team was made. Heatran 1HKO's with Fire Blast over 70% of the time according to the Smogon calculator. I guess you could say that this is a big risk, but I'm a gambling dude. Fire Blast is for the obvious STAB and pretty much hits every thing for a truckload of damage. Earth Power covers other Heatran mostly. Dragon Pulse hits Dragonite and Flygon on the switch. Hidden Power Grass is pretty much solely for Swampert. If Heatran survives the lead match up (which he usually does) he provides a useful fire immunity and his resistances are always helpful too. Here's Heatran versus the top ten leads from August ( a little dated but they are the most recent stats posted)

Azelf: Fire Blast brings it to the sash or KO's it if it is one of those newfangled colbur berry leads/ a choice lead
Machamp: Fire Blast usually KO's, and does 95% minimum
Aerodactyl: I usually switch out to Gliscor predicting the EQ, and then to Starmie. Starmie can then Hydro Pump it to the sash and then spin away the rocks for the KO.
Metagross: Fire Blast KO's even through Occa Berry, if they switch something is getting hit hard.
Swampert: HP Grass easily KO's
Infernape: Switch right to Starmie. Hydro Pump to the sash and rapid spin the rocks away for the KO
Heatran: They are faster and would KO with Earth Power, so switch to Starmie.
Jirachi: Fire Blast easily kills, but they usually U-turn out.
Ninjask: This is a top ten lead?
Roserade: The most annoying, I usually let Heatran take the sleep and deal with it afterwards. Toxic Spikes only affect Starmie though, who has Natural Cure.

Why the name? Gandalf is the leader of the Fellowship, as Heatran is the leader of this team. I am not adverse to sacrificing Heatran earlier for the greater good, similar to Gandalf's fight with the Balrog. Also Heatran is the strongest "magical" (Special) attacker on the team.

Frodo (Lucario) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk,-SpAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

Why Lucario?
Lucario is, simply put, THE best late game sweeper in OU. Once he gets a Swords Dance up, there isn't much around that can stop him. It is incredibly easy to find an opening to set him up and then proceed to massacre the rest of the opponent's team. I'd post a bunch of calcs to show how powerful he is, but I'm sure you all know how awesome he is by now. Swords Dance is the obligatory set up move, doubling Lucario's attack strength in one turn. Close Combat is STAB and KO's pretty much everything that doesn't resist it. ExtremeSpeed provides useful priority to take out those threats that could otherwise end Lucario's sweep. I chose Bullet Punch over Crunch because everything that Crunch is useful for (save Dusknoir) is going to be faster than Lucario anyways. Bullet Punch instead allows me to get the drop on Gengar and Scarf Tyranitar (which were everywhere when I made this team).

Why the name? Like Frodo, Lucario is protected by the other members of the team. The basis of this team is allowing Lucario to sweep through the remains of my opponent, and the basis of the Fellowship was to allow Frodo to destroy the Ring.

Gimli (Gliscor) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/40 Def/216 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd,-SpAtk)
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Why Gliscor? Gliscor was added because I needed an electric immunity since I had no resists. He also brought Stealth Rock to the team. He has earned his keep well beyond that. Earthquake is the obvious STAB move of choice and allows him to be a perfect Swords Dance Lucario counter. Roost allows him to regain his health so he can continue to be annoying. Stealth Rock is the entry hazard we all know and hate. Taunt allows him to stop any setup attempts cold, and keeps walls from using their status or phazing moves, useful for giving Lucario a chance to setup.

Why the name? Well Gimli is a dwarf, who tend to live under ground. Gliscor is a ground pokemon so I though it fit...Also Gliscor is rather hardy, same with Gimli.

Legolas (Starmie) @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 136 HP/156 Def/216 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd,-Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

Why Starmie? Starmie was chosen because it is the best rapid spinner in OU. With the set I have, it 2HKO's all versions of Rotom-A with Hydro Pump, allowing me to spin freely. I chose a bulky EV spread so it could serve as a Gyarados counter, always surviving +1 Earthquake at full health and KO'ing back with Thunderbolt. Hydro Pump was chosen as STAB because it 2HKO's all Rotom-A, something Surf cannot do without sacrificing bulk for Special Attack. Thunderbolt gives the best coverage alongside Hydro Pump and 1HKO's Gyarados. Recover allows Starmie to stick around a little longer. Rapid spin gets rid of those annoying entry hazards.

Why the name? Starmie is the only Special attacker on the team besides Heatran, making him the natural candidate for being Legolas. Legolas provided ranged support and Starmie does the same.

Boromir (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SpDef
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Why Scizor?
The better question is why not? While he isn't the most used pokemon anymore, Scizor is still a top threat. I originally added him to patch up my DDmence weakness, but now he just provides general utility. His resistances are great and allow him to switch into many pokemon and he can do his thing. Bullet Punch is obvious, the most powerful priority move in the game? Yes please! Pursuit is to get rid of ghosts that are switching out. Superpower hits steels on the switch. U-turn is a great scouting move and does heavy damage to boot.

Why the name? Boromir was a great warrior, but not without his flaws. Sounds just like Scizor to me.

Aragorn (Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
- Earthquake
- ExtremeSpeed
- Fire Punch
- Outrage

Why Dragonite?
Well this spot was originally taken up by Salamence, but he was kicked to Ubers so I needed a replacement. Dragonite stepped up to fill Mence's shoes. That is not to say that Dragonite is inferior to Salamence, but he must be played differently. Outrage is powerful STAB, 1 or 2HKO'ing pretty much everything (even offensive steel types). Earthquake covers grounded steel types and Fire Punch covers the airborne ones. ExtremeSpeed is Dragonite's main advantage over Mence, allowing it to take out faster threats with powerful priority.

Why the name? As the most powerful physical attacker on the team, the name of Aragorn was easy to place with first Salamence, and now Dragonite.

That concludes my RMT, thanks for reading and happy rating!

Hello, nice team. A few shifts here and there and this team should be looking good.

Threats
  • Offensive Suicune
  • Life Orb Starmie
  • Life Orb Shaymin
  • Stall

As you can see there are generally two main categories that will trouble this team more often than not; Offensive Special Attackers and Stall. Offensive Suicune is guaranteed a set-up on Scizor, Heatran, or Dragonite locked into the wrong move, as well as forcing out and setting up a CM on Gliscor (unless you're brave enough to Taunt). With a CM under its belt, it can then proceed to at the very least 2HKO every member with a +1 Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/HP Electric. Similar to Suicune, Starmie can also be very threatening, not needing a set-up move, and outpacing all the members of this team, while 2HKOing them with LO Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt. Your best bet is to weaken it out a little and revenge with Dragonite's Extremespeed, which is a shaky answer at best. Life Orb Shaymin can also be kind of annoying with Seed Flare/Earth Power/HP Ice or HP Fire, though obviously, either Dragonite or Scizor will end up facing it (the latter will lose a good amount of health if Shaymin uses Earth Power, assuming it has HP Ice). Finally, Stall looks partially troublesome since you have Gliscor to stop set-up attempts, but bear in mind that you have 3 choiced users, each one carrying a move that is an invite for potential Spikers to set up multiple layers.

Solutions
  • Leech Seed Shaymin over Dragonite to patch up Offensive water type weakness
  • Replace Choice Specs Heatran with a Life Orb Stealth Rock variant
  • Try a Choice Scarf Scizor over the current set

Leech Seed Shaymin has the fantastic ability to check Offensive and Defensive Water types alike, with the combination of a powerful Seed Flare, Leech Seed, and bulk. IMO, Dragonite looks the most replaceable member for this change, he should hand the slot over to Shaymin.

A set like this is ideal for handling Offensive Water types, as well as Rotom Formes trying to halt Lucario's sweep (if they lack Overheat):

Shaymin @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 68 SpA / 188 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Fire]

To further reduce the amount of times stall gets chances to set up hazards, it's required that you change Heatran's set to the Life Orb SR set with 172 HP/252 Satk/84 Spe with a Mild Nature, with Stealth Rock over Dragon Pulse and Overheat over Fire Blast, Explosion over HP Grass (the explosion>hp grass is optional). With the bulk, Heatran can take Rest-talk Rotom Formes on much better, most commonly found on stall teams, while still be a force to reckoned with, due to the power behind a Life Orb, Modest nature, and the mammoth Special Attack score. I also think Gliscor should get Toxic over Stealth Rock, this combination alone has saved my life in many situations I would otherwise lose; It gives you a way to destroy non Ice Beam Blissey, Hippowdon, amongst others.

Finally, a Choice Scarf Scizor over your current set with a spread of 12 HP/252 Atk/244 Spe Jolly Nature, and the same moves is a very sweet check to all sorts of Shaymin, as well as trapping Rotom-A locked into Shadow Ball, opening a path for Lucario's lategame sweep.

However, the team becomes weak to Dragonite, which is still was in its original shape. IMO, its best Set-up opportunity is Scizor's Super Power/U-turn, and even then, you can lure an Outrage and revenge with the Steel types in your arsenal after SR and LO recoil (Heatran's Explosion, Scizor's Bullet Punch).

Anyway, I hope I helped you out with this team, and wish you the best of luck!

You are definitely correct that suicune and starmie are annoying for my team. I have used shaymin in the past and will for sure try him out on this team.

Curious about the EV spread on Heatran, what does 84 speed allow him to beat?

Choice Scarf Scizor sounds interesting, I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

Any other rates?

Hi butterfingers158, this is a cool team, although I want to try and improve it.

Firstly, I want you to use Life Orb Heatran over your Specs variant. Life Orb Heatran still has the benefit of OHKOing Machamp [almost all the time] and allows you to switch moves which is helpful. It gives you more opportunity to set up Stealth Rock, lets you Explode after Overheating a Blissey and can HP Grass something like Swampert if it comes in. Most importantly, by running Stealth Rock, Gliscor is free to use Toxic in its now available free moveslot.

Heatran @ Life Orb
Rash | Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
Stealth Rock / Overheat / HP Grass / Explosion

Now, the next thing I want you to consider is using a Dragon Dance Dragonite. With Gliscor Toxicing bulky-waters, and Heatran luring and Exploding on them, as well as Scizor U-turn's weakening the opponent's steels, a Dragonite sweep will not be too difficult to pull off. Dragon Dance Dragonite has really good synergy with Leech Seed Shaymin [the one LegendKiller posted] as Shaymin lures in a lot of Pokemon Dragonite can set up on eg. Heatran, and with the Leech Seed boost, Dragonite will not find it overly hard to grab a boost.

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Adamant | Inner Focus
EVs: 144 HP / 160 Atk / 204 Spe
Dragon Dance / Outrage or Dragon Claw / Earthquake or Fire Punch / Extremespeed or Roost

Personally I would go for a defensive set, as Dragonite is such a good switch-in for offensive grass-types and you kinda need the bulk + with Dragonite's fairly decent defenses it can Roost off stuff like MixPert Ice Beam [takes around 40%-45% when Roost, which is obviously not ideal], while continuing to Dragon Dance. Shaymin would fit well over Lucario.

Heatran / Shaymin / Gliscor / Starmie / Scizor / Dragonite

Good team and good luck!

Good team. I'd like to begin by seconding the suggestions of LO Heatran; it is generally a superior choice to SpecsTran due to the fact that it retains the ability to OHKO leads like Machamp and Swampert, while possessing the freedom to switch attacks. Overheat, Hidden Power Grass, and Explosion are generally the only moves you'll need on Heatran's moveset, as they provide you with a powerful and solid STAB attack, a move to hit Water-types (especially Swampert) hard, and a means of taking out troublesome special walls, respectively. Personally, I find Modest to be the best nature for LO Tran, as it still has enough power to KO Blissey after Stealth Rock and doesn't drop your defenses. Since Heatran tends to lure in special walls early in the game, it can potentially remove an opposing counter to Starmie, giving you an easier time sweeping.

Other than that, I'd like to point out that you have a very notable weakness to offensive Water-types. LO Starmie is troublesome enough, as it can 2HKO every one of your team members and outspeed your own Starmie, but you at least have it somewhat covered with your powerful priority moves. However, offensive variants of Suicune are particularly difficult to deal with. Suicune can set up on Heatran or forced switches, and set up a Calm Mind boost. At this point, it becomes bulky enough to take basically any attack you throw at it, meaning that it can sweep through your team quite easily. For this reason, I would definitely second the suggestion of trying out a Grass-type over Scizor. This would give you a good switch-in to Water-types, while removing a Pokemon that frankly isn't quite as useful with the absence of Latias and Salamence. That Leech Seed + Protect Shaymin happens to be a personal favorite of mine, but keep in mind that using it would open up a notable weakness to opposing DD Dragonite. If this becomes too much of a problem, simply try using a Choice Scarf on Shaymin; it's quite unusual, but works rather well overall:

[box]

Shaymin @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Seed Flare
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power Ice
- Energy Ball[/box]
With this set, Shaymin is still quite capable of switching into and threatening opposing Water-types. It also has the notable advantage of being able to outspeed Starmie, which is both unexpected and useful. Seed Flare provides essential STAB, and hits quite hard with 120 BP. Earth Power can be used for nailing Heatran and Infernape switch-ins. HP Ice serves the purpose of allowing Shaymin to outspeed opposing +1 Dragonite, so that it can serve as an effective check. Finally, the last moveslot is dedicated to Energy Ball. Although it isn't a particularly powerful move, it can be useful for scouting your opponent's switch-in to Shaymin and providing you with a second STAB, as Seed Flare has a low amount of PP.

Good luck with your team!

Cool. I stopped by to read and I just wanted to say, great team, awesome symbolism with the LotR Poke-analogies. :D Ha, that's probably my favorite part of it, actually~

You can see the reliance on type charts has affected this team. All electric types give you major problems, Life orbed Jolteon can just destroy this team with hp ice, Zapdos also has a field day against this team, mix electivire, Rotom etc. Gliscor may be imune to electric attacks, but it is not a good switch in to them.

On lucario you might as wel use crunch, bullet punch hit's gengar and scarf tar who you have well covered, while Rotom you do not.

Nice team, its really solid. I'll agree with everyone who said to replace Dragonite with a Grass type to patch up that water/electric weakness you have (I like Roserade, but Shaymin will do). I also noticed you want to get a jump on lead match ups but want to keep Heatran for its handy resistances. Well guess what, Azelf can get the same KO's that SpecsTran can by holding a Life Orb (Bar OccaGross) .

Azelf @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
252 Sp.Atk/252 Spe/4 Atk

-Psychic
-Fire Blast
-Grass Knot
-Explosion

No one prepares for this threat anymore I've had many occasions where this has swept my opponents team because they didn't carry a counter, or I just removed it. Psychic is a OHKO on lead Machamp who stay and use Payback to see what type of Azelf you are. Fire Blast will OHKO standard Lum Gross 99% of the time and Swampert doesn't stand a chance against Grass Knot (also has a chance to OHKO standard Hippo leads). Explosion is when your low on HP or your opponent switches in something that is troublesome for your team. I find that this set also has the advantage of luring set up bait for Lucario (ScarTar, Flygon). The only problems you'll run into are lead Heatrans, but you have that all possibilities covered by using Starmie.

As for Heatran you can use that Life Orb set people have mentioned (Bar HP Grass since thats only for Swampert) or go a bit bulkier, just be sure to add Stealth Cocks for your team on him.

If you do all that you can remove Rapid Spin on Starmie since your team will not give many opportunities for common entry hazard abusers to set up (Forry, Skarm, even Roserade) and replace that with Ice Beam giving you extra insurance against Dragons and grass types.

Hope this rate helped, and good luck. (FYI I might steal and use this team on the ladder...just sayin...)

I was going to start testing stuff, but it seems Poke Lab is down. :( Is this just me? Anyways I'm thinking Shaymin over Scizor will be my first test ( Along with switching Heatran to Life Orb)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)