The end of an Era (Peaked 2250)

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
After the initial Banlist for X and Y hit, I was astonished at 2 bans that were lacking in the list. One was Blaziken, the other, Deoxys. I had built earlier teams made around these threats, but as I went more and more into the metagame, I was finding increasingly deadly options on the ladder and increasingly effective ways of countering them. I decided to throw a new team together from what I learned, and it's served me well. Now that these two are going to Ubers, I decided I'd share the team.

Team Building:

I wanted to start with a Hyper Offense team. I needed a way to smash through small teams, so the first member was a fair choice.

Choice Band Rock Head Head Smash Tyrantrum. I figured if I was going the wallbreaker route, why not start with a Pokemon that hits so hard that Hippowdon even needs to be fairly fresh in order to beat it.

The next few choices were automatic: pick the strongest offensive Pokemon from the meta to be the offensive core of the team.

Deoxys hits like a freight train, and with a single free turn Blaziken hits like a nuclear bomb. Both were the premier offense of the metagame, the core of now Ubers that destroyed the metagame with relative ease. These two were much of why the team was so effective.

It was now time to pick my Mega. Mega Blaziken is overkill, why have 1 very uber mon when you can have 2 kinda-uber mons? So I picked arguably the deadliest Mega of them all:

Mega. Kangaskhan. This fits so well in an offensive team like this it's unbelievable. It has so much bulk to take on random attacks thrown at it that is makes it very hard to switch in and force out Kangaskhan. It was a sure choice.

I then knew I needed a scarfer for easy revenge killing, and with my offensive core mostly being forced out by Dragonite and Gyarados, I needed something especially to check those.

Genesect fits perfectly on the team: gain momentum with U-Turn and revenge kills important threats. Nothing more needs to be said about this monster.

The final choice, I noticed I crucial weakness: Sticky Web. I needed a defogger that wouldn't lose me momentum. After some looking, I noticed...

Latios had access to the move. A Dragon, Rotom-W check, Sticky Web remover, and a general hard hitter all rolled up into a single Pokemon.

The team was set, and was very effective on the ladder. However, it had but one flaw: it was very weak to opposing Hyper Offense. I needed Stealth Rock. I needed more priority. Tyrantum did jack vs offense and I needed something that could help take it down. I decided to dump him for Mamoswine because of this as well as two other factors: One being I wasn't running into much stall, the other being Rock Head was unreleased anyways and I shouldn't have been using it to begin with.

The final result.​

THE TEAM

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Sash Mamo plays a role in one of two ways, depending on the match. One is a Rocks Suicide lead, the other is an emergency revenge killer. Due to Defog combined with the few amount of hazards this generation, Mamowsine's Focus Sash often stays intact, letting it check threats like Blaziken without fear of dying. It also provides an extra much-needed form of priority for the team, allowing Mamo to clean up against a missed KO or slower priority.

Deoxys @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed

The king himself, Deoxys. EVs are to OHKO Dragonite with Ice Beam through Multiscale (who CAN'T threaten an OHKO with unboosted Extremespeed, even after 2 rounds of LO recoil), max out speed and then dump the rest in attack to get a bit more out of Superpower and Extremespeed for Pokemon like Heatran and TTar or faster/priority using Pokemon respectively. Virtually nothing can come in on Psycho Boost- even most Rotom-W fall to it in a single hit, and your coverage options make KOing anything that switches in bar Aegislash easy as can be. There is no argument of Deo-N's status: It is a monster. It outspeeds base 130s and many speed boosting Pokemon around that range, while providing turn 1 power that's without equal.

Blaziken @ Air Balloon
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick

The team's sweeper. Air Balloon was a necessity considering I had no way to avoid Mold Breaker Earthquake, and it gave Blaziken countless set-up opportunities it would otherwise not ever have, catching opponents off guard by turning their seemingly safe option to Earthquake into a free opportunity for Blaziken to come in is an excellent bonus. The move choice leaves little to question, opting with Protect over Baton Pass in order to increase sweeping opportunities. Between Genesect, Latios, and Deoxys many of its counters have a hard time finding a safe place to stay in during a match.

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

The resident Scarfer and momentum gainer for the team, Genesect provides the ability to tank Dragon attacks as well as providing a means for killing many threats to Blaziken like Gyarados, Dragonite, Latis, and Slowbro. It's the glue holding this team together, a small flaw in my team being the fact that if multiple Blaziken checks are on the opposing team, it can be difficult for Genesect to stay alive with his relatively mediocre bulk, and it usually means Blaziken won't be very effective during the match.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Fire Punch / Earthquake
- Sucker Punch

Meet one of the most underrated and devastatingly powerful Pokemon in the entire game: Mega Kangaskhan. While most Kanga follow the PuP sweeper role, I already have Blaziken as a sweeper and a fairly weak ability to revenge kill as is despite other priority users on my team. Parental Bond Fake Out and Sucker Punch alleviate these issues. Return provides the much needed STAB that allows Mega Kanga to rip holes in the metagame, the move that makes it as devastating as it is. The slot for Fire Punch and Earthquake is interchangable, without PuP I desperately miss the power against threats like Scizor and Ferrothorn (Iron Barbs damage is worth taking just to OHKO the thing) that otherwise force Kanga out, and I've found Kanga has been most effective when you force the opponent to keep sending in Pokemon against it due to its raw power. Earthquake is a perfectly fine alternative for Heatran and TTar though.

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Defog

A fairly unique set for a fairly unique niche- I needed something that could outspeed and KO Galvantula after it's taken U-Turn damage from Genesect, and then Defog the deadly Sticky Web away. This has an incredible amount of surprise value- most people just sac their hazards setter to it seeing a notable lack of Spinner or Defogger on my team, just to get met with the fact Latios is carrying the move. Expert Belt also bluffs a choice item, making the Defog that much less obvious for when it's coming. Sometimes I wish I had Life Orb just to nuke the hell out of Rotom-W with Draco Meteor, but the surprise factor of being non-choiced has worked in my favor way too many times to want to switch.​

-------------------------------

Too lazy to do a threat list, but I'll mention this much: Stall. Without Tyrantum aboard, stall can become a problem. Deo-N just doesn't hit hard enough to wallbreak against smart players due to its fairly high predictability, and generally missing OHKOs against invested defensive threats. Blaziken can usually put large chunks of stall teams down IF you can manage to do chunks of damage to its counters beforehand, but that's a very idealistic way to think about things.

Mamoswine @ Focus Sash
Ability: Thick Fat
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Crash

Deoxys @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 24 Atk / 232 SAtk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam
- Superpower
- ExtremeSpeed

Genesect @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Download
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Flamethrower
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt

Kangaskhan (F) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Return
- Fire Punch
- Sucker Punch

Blaziken @ Air Balloon
Ability: Speed Boost
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Protect
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick

Latios (M) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Defog

So yeah, that's it. RMT.

Nuts RMT bro. This is some prime hyper offense and definitely utilizes the major threats in today's metagame.

I noticed you mentioned that you still have problems with stall. As a suggestion, I would recommend switching mamoswine for gliscor. Now this is only a suggestion because gliscor does not always fit on hyper offensive teams. However, gliscor can replace mamoswine as your stealth rock setter while utilizing taunt or toxic to wear down stall. In addition, it doesn't increase your weakness against offensive team because it can act effectively as a defensive pivot. Lastly, it acts as a strong counter to talonflame which can wreck your team given the correct opportunity.

Here's the set.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Taunt
- U-turn/Protect

Also another suggestion is to switch genesect for azumarill. I know this is a relatively drastic change but it can help your team out in a majority of ways. First, it provides your team with a dragon immunity and while genesect resists dragon, its frailty causes it to die rather quickly. Second, your team is already incredibly fast with deoxys and speed boost blaziken + latios running around in the background. I don't know if a scarfer is necessary for your team set-up. Also, aqua jet gives your team some strong priority making up for the choice scarf in many ways. Genesect's coverage moves are already covered by much of your team members so I don't know how much you will lose by switching to azumarill. The greatest loss I think would be momentum through u-turn but then that becomes a matter of what you want for your team. If you do listen to my suggestion then I would opt for the banded set in order to bring some power to help break past stall.

Lastly, I would personally run LO over expert belt on latios but that's because I hate rotom-wash with a passion because it's just so versatile. But I understand your choice to bluff. Also, where your 4 HP EVs at?? xD

I understand my changes make your team a little less hyper offense-like but hopefully they fix a few of your holes. Great RMT man! Some really good synergy going on here.

Nuts RMT bro. This is some prime hyper offense and definitely utilizes the major threats in today's metagame.

I noticed you mentioned that you still have problems with stall. As a suggestion, I would recommend switching mamoswine for gliscor. Now this is only a suggestion because gliscor does not always fit on hyper offensive teams. However, gliscor can replace mamoswine as your stealth rock setter while utilizing taunt or toxic to wear down stall. In addition, it doesn't increase your weakness against offensive team because it can act effectively as a defensive pivot. Lastly, it acts as a strong counter to talonflame which can wreck your team given the correct opportunity.

Here's the set.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic/Taunt
- U-turn/Protect
I agree with you, but I think a Landorus-Therian would fit in more - since it's individually strength can also be used on Hyper Offense Teams. He's able to set up Rocks as well as intimidating the opponent.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 172 Def / 88 Spd
Naive Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The possibility of U-Turning out can be very threatening, especially if you have a team full of monster sweepers.

This team is nasty lol. Really nice

I'd run mix blaze over sd because it demolishes stall and most of kangas counters without even trying. If you do make this change I'd run PuP on kanga to take advantage of weakened landorus and shit. You might be weaker to lat@s but gene and kanga to an extent beat them.

talonflame And mix aegislash can be a bitch since it can ko a lot of threats on offensive teams. Kangas fake out is nice here but you have nothing to switch into these guys. They 2hko your entire team after rocks.

I'd also run heatran instead of mamo. It beats talonflame and slash, sets rocks and does well against dragons. It makes you weaker to landorus-I but genesect makes a pretty good catchall revenge killer for your team.

Hope I could help. This team is solid though.

Last edited:
This team is doodoo, it's so not-safe ugh DX

Anyway, because you don't like to read your texts, I'm gonna leave my rate here as well. With the Blaziken ban (dunno if it applies for Pokebank OU, but regardless, you and I both know that it's coming), you'll lose a lot of power, and to be frank, this team can do without it. Remember when I'd said that you have a Talonflame weakness? I'd meant that it can easily steal momentum from your team, not sweep it entirely; and with Stealth Rock (seemingly) being less of a priority for this team, Talonflame can switch in and out continuously. You can do a couple of things to remedy this problem, but it all stems from replacing Blaziken with Rotom-W. In addition to being able to get Deo-N and Kangaskhan in safely with VS, you can go with TrickScarf Rotom-W and have a very solid option against stall, but of course, any good stall team should be able to adapt to the decommissioned slot, so you'll need something else. Thus, I recommend using PuP on Kangaskhan over Fake Out. I... cannot see which speed boosters will be problematic enough to this team that you absolutely need the revenge killing potential of PB Fake Out + Sucker Punch; Cloyster and Barbaracle are literally the only two speed boosters that are capable of causing problems for this team (aside from Blaziken in sun / SubSalac Terrakion, but they beat Kangaskhan anyway), and with the change to Rotom-W, you should be able to handle both. With Power-Up Punch, Kangaskhan becomes a very big threat to stall, 2HKOing and OHKOing many important walls, such as Hippowdon, Gliscor, Gourgeist (I believe that Scrappy PuP + PB Fire Punch KOes it after a bit of residual damage; regardless, 5/6 of your Pokemon don't much care about that sad excuse for a ghost), Slowbro, Nattorei, Skarmory... you get where I'm going with this, right?

tl;dr-ur Talon weak so fix it with Rotom; defensive or TrickScarf--doesn't matter, Rotom-W lets you use PuP on Kangaskhan, which helps a ton vs stall.

Also, I'm just gonna piggyback on NerfectX's suggestion and say that Lando-T would be a great addition to this team. Let's you beat up on MB Doryuuzu and checks pretty much all of the stuff Mamo does; my only concern is Lando-T slowing down this team too much. Oh and I wouldn't recommend the Naive spread because that blows, use Relaxed 252 / 252 if you'd really like to try it out.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
Maybe 252/252+ Lando would work, but I do appreciate the extra priority.

Also Talon is so weak it isn't really a thread to this team- I admit mixed Aegi is though and maybe if I rebuild this team for the new meta I'll swap Rotom-W > Ken, PuP Kanga > FO, and add something for Aegislash > Deo. It'll really slow down the team but I guess I'll get an extra Volt Switch.

Shurtugal

The Enterpriser.
is a Tiering Contributor
Just posting to say kudos for a pretty wickedly fun team to play with. I personally used Balloon Blaziken in BW2 Ubers, which granted me so many set up opp. on Groudon xP. I just posted because I'm glad others play with the item choice on Ken. When Ken was OU for XY, I was using a Baton Pass variant with Passho Berry so I could set up on Wash and Jellicent and BP from Azu ehehe.

Anyway, if I had to change anything I'd switch Mamoswine for Heatran like Exeggutive mentioned because it solves Talon and Aegi well enough, and I think you are underestimating Talon since this team doesn't look like it could possibly handle +2 Sky Plate Brave Birds from Adamant at all. Setting up SD on Ken is pretty easy for Talon to do too; but BB can't even 2HKO Tran (although you need HP investment to ensure this).

You say you want to nuke Wash with Draco, right? To bluff choice, you could run Draco Plate or Mental Herb depending on your preference since they both bluff choice: Draco could improve your overall power while Mental Herb eliminates the -2 SpA, which opens lots of opp., but it sadly is more of a giveaway that you aren't choiced.

Good Luck! :)

that feel when mods delete your posts because they don't like your opinions
Well theuy took away the battle I was complaining about too, so in a way I won.

Breaking bricks in the hot sun. I fought the mods and, the mods won.

Let me take a look and see if I cant find something to rate.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Pretty good team, pretty glad I ripped this off (and improved it) which became my most successful team

Deoxys, blaziken, and mega kanga make hyper offensive beyond viable, I love to play it.

Pretty good team, pretty glad I ripped this off (and improved it) which became my most successful team

Deoxys, blaziken, and mega kanga make hyper offensive beyond viable, I love to play it.
Same, although I added Landorus-T and Rotom-W, making it into more of a momentum based Volt-turn team. Genesect and Deoxys are pretty ridiculous at forcing switches and being mixed attackers, and mega kanga is a fantastic physical attacker that just rips apart teams.

Well, I tested
Landorus over Mamoswine
Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 94 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Aegislash over Deoxys
Aegislash @ Life Orb
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SDef
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Rotom-Wash over Blaziken
Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 232 HP / 188 SAtk / 88 Spd
Modest Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

I'm having great success with the team.
People are always butthurt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)