the do you do music thread

Where's all the percussionists? Sad things. Anyway, I've been playing percussion for the past 6 years, and I've been playing marching percussion for 3. I also took 3 years of guitar lessons, but I haven't touched it in awhile. I mostly play marching tenor drums for our Drumline, but I also do cool keyboard things for our concert band. Oh, I also suck at Drum set. Yeah, I think that's it.

I play guitar for 3 years.. Death metal stuff. Aiming to play technical/shred stuff.
Now I'm making a band.

bump. thought i'd update with a picture of my pedalboard, as i recently set it up:

i've listed them in a previous post but here is what i have, clockwise from top left: boss rv-3 digital reverb/delay, boss dd-5 digital delay, boss dd-7 digital delay, mxr carbon copy analog delay, ibanez tubescreamer, pro co rat (trying to figure out whether i like it more than the marshall shredmaster/zvex fuzz factory), tap tempo (connected to the dd-5 -- once i get a cable splitter i will connect the dd-7 as well), boss rc-2 loop station. it's a fun rig and i really like the sounds i can get out of the rat (i just started trying it out).

@aggro: best of luck with the band.

i have yet to listen to doomers' and bearsfan's recordings, but once i do i will post accordingly. i'm also going to use this post to re-encourage those of you who talked about recording to do it... even if you don't post it here, i think it would be a good thing to do. you'll get a feel for home recording and can listen to and critique your own stuff.

keep playing, everyone~

thanks man! i was thinking that sometime in the future i'd like to replace the felt-covered board that the pedals rest on with transparent plexiglass and then see if i can't rig some twinkle lights or leds to work with the dc power supply mounted underneath the board. if i ever get around to it i'll post pics but for now i'm very happy with how my board turned out.

Alchemator

my god if you don't have an iced tea for me when i
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the cusp of completely changing my style with exciting new inspirations...

my high E snapped. Again.

I haven't had this set of strings for too long, truth be told, and they only cost £6.00. Can you guys recommend some good acoustic strings which aren't overly costly? I don't particularly want to be paying over the £15.00 mark. I'm sure the guitarists here are so much better and more experienced than I am, given that I'm self-taught haha.

On the cusp of completely changing my style with exciting new inspirations...

my high E snapped. Again.

I haven't had this set of strings for too long, truth be told, and they only cost £6.00. Can you guys recommend some good acoustic strings which aren't overly costly? I don't particularly want to be paying over the £15.00 mark. I'm sure the guitarists here are so much better and more experienced than I am, given that I'm self-taught haha.
I'm kind of an Ernie Ball guy myself, but I know my PRS came with some D'Addarios that I thought were pretty good. Oftentimes, you'll find that I have Ernie Ball Heavy Bottom/Skinny Top strings. They work pretty well as I often find myself going to Drop D and C# standard, but they work alright for standard tuning as well.

I've known people to share my opinions of these strings, but I've also known others who say they're complete shit. They're relatively cheap strings (6 USD), so might as well give them a shot.

Ah yeah, I'm self-taught myself, so take that into consideration if that matters to you.

Foreys, you plan on getting the tube screamer modded?
i haven't thought about that, to be honest. my dad gets a lot of his pedals modded by robert keeley (sometimes for free) so it's definitely an option, although i'm not entirely sure what modding does to a pedal.

i think you'd appreciate this though, max: my tubescreamer is an original ts9 (not a reissue) that i got passed down from my dad. apparently the reissue doesn't sound as good as the original pedal. that's what my dad tells me at least -- he's a much bigger gear geek than i am.

I play clarinet, flute, and piano.

The first instrument I ever played was my clarinet. I was really good in middle school and high school- I made districts every year and all-states one year, and I was always first chair of my school's concert band. That being said, I never really loved it. Everyone around me was encouraging me to practice even more so I could reach new heights, but I never cared enough to do so.

My true love was always the piano. I've played all sorts of classical pieces on it, ranging from Khatchaturian to Bach to Mozart to Debussy to Chopin. I have recordings of myself in high school somewhere, and I'll try to find them. They don't sound amazing per se, and I've gotten better since then, but I have no means of recording the way I play now.

I've never been serious about the flute; it's just something i play for fun every once in awhile. I mainly started playing it because in 6th grade, I was a huge fan of the Pokemon 2000 movie, and I wanted to learn to play the song, but my parents would only buy me an instrument that I could also seriously play in an orchestra if I got good enough at it, and the ocarina didn't fit the bill. Yeah I know, I'm a dork, and I always have been!

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
okay i come from an entirely different school of musical thought but man do i dislike pedals! all flash and trash and no :soul:. i only play with a compression pedal and my guitarist (for heinous orca at least) just plays with a distortion one.

speaking of, i've been in the studio this weekend recording heinous orca's first album. look for it soon on the bandcamp! 15 tracks long and about 24 minutes. xD

evan, i understand where you're coming from, especially taking into account what i know about your musical tastes. the guitar comes first in my opinion -- if you can't groove on the guitar without effects in the first place, well, pedals might help hide and make up for that but in the long run i think you're hindering yourself if you turn to pedals to make you 'good.' to be fair, for years i only played with the tubescreamer and even now that i have all those delays i still find myself sticking to my distortion pedals 9 times out of 10. though having a lot of delays is nice when i'm trying to play something really ambient. i had a nice jam yesterday where i recorded some keys through a bunch of effects onto my loop station and then went over it on guitar. space jam.

i'll be on the lookout for that heinous orca album.

edit: i recorded this this morning. it's an original riff i've been working on -- more bluesy stuff. played it through the rat with the distortion knob at 3 o'clock and the filter at about 2. enjoy~

@Alchemator: i'm going with bearsfan on this one: i'm definitely a fan of ernie ball strings (i use the eb super slinky strings on both of my electrics). as far as acoustic goes, i'm not as sure as i play mostly electric but i imagine ernie ball makes quality acoustic strings. looked them up on amazon.co.uk and it looks like they go for about £5 a pack. oh, and i'm self-taught as well.

Well, being the stereotypical Asian, I play Piano and Violin. I started rather late, in comparison to others, I started around 9 for piano and 12 for violin. For now, I play mostly classical stuff (I love classical), but I have done some piano covers of popular songs. I also like to do little tunes on the piano based on what I hear. For example, I figured out the Warner Bros. opening theme music on piano by ear - pretty fun stuff! I also love playing video game music, I just think its so catchy! As for violin, I've participated in my local youth orchestra (Portland Youth Philharmonic) and its been a blast! I really love music, and I intend to do a double degree in music and whatever this upcoming year :D

Anyways, if you are bored, I have a link to a recording of my playing. It's not perfect, I made quite a few mistakes in the first piece, but it keeps it real eh?

MUSIC :D

I've got my flameshield ready. This was more to give my new Soundcloud/POD recording a spin anyway. It was recorded into Audacity as I don't have the money for software nor the guts to pirate them.

http://soundcloud.com/mattsybeldon/rough-point-to-point-cover
flameshield not necessary my man, good work here. i'm guessing animals as leaders is some sort of math rock band judging by your recording -- math-y guitar work always seems to baffle and impress me so kudos for taking it on.

http://soundcloud.com/witchprods/vipe-portugal-remix-sleepless

my cousin recorded this yesterday. it's called 'diversidade' and he raps in english, french, spanish and portuguese
this is some crazy shit man -- your cousin is talented. his english flow is pretty good, though i don't know what to say about the other bits because i don't understand the languages. still, much respect to him for rapping in FOUR languages.

Anyways, if you are bored, I have a link to a recording of my playing. It's not perfect, I made quite a few mistakes in the first piece, but it keeps it real eh?

MUSIC :D
i'm listening through your recording of chopin's scherzo right now and it's very good. i will listen to your bach piece next. you're quite a talented piano player! i haven't noticed any mistakes. we are our harshest critics but i've found that people rarely notice the musical mistakes that you and i might agonize over. good stuff and thanks for sharing.

and for a bit of self-promotion: my friend and i got together and recorded something yesterday. it's a thirty-minute ambient piece that we made up on the spot, using my casiotone keyboard looped and put through my effects. now, i'm sure this is the sort of thing that people besides us (my friend and i) won't make any effort to get into just because, well, who wants to listen to two guys dicking around on delay knobs for thirty minutes? but it's a nice, sprawling, sometimes haunting 'soundscape' that he and i really enjoyed making so i'll go ahead and post it here. it makes me feel underwater, and i listened to it while i was falling asleep yesterday. so listen if you dare.

here it is, WAILS

I play violin and piano Ok-ish I guess.
I also sing in the Australian Boys Choir (I'm the Head Chorister) and we're going on tour in a week or two

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)