Team Telomerase

Okay, so first of all, the team name is totally random. It was the first thing that popped into my head that made nice alliteration with "team," and I guess Telomerase still makes sense. I'm perpetually adding on and taking out new members to see if the team works any better, much like how telomerase keeps adding repeating nucleotides to prevent DNA replication from completely dissolving a gene...

Yeah...

I don't really have a main goal, but if I were to say one, I'd say I use Hitmontop, Heatran, and Salamence to weaken the opponent's team and then, depending on who is appropriate for the situation at hand, switch in Gyarados or Yanmega and set up and sweep. :D

Changes will probably be in bold.

So, team at a glance:

----------------------------------

----------------------------------

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt

Here is my lead. I'm actually really satisfied with his performance. Stealth Rock I almost always get up while other leads have their plans foiled with Taunt. As a general rule, I Taunt most slower, bulkier leads and try to KO more fragile leads and set up Rocks afterwards. I'd like to get as much of an advantage as possible. You all know how this guy works; I won't bore you any more. Just as a general note, Rock Slide really misses too many times to be considered "reliable." Sometimes, if I find his speed and Rock STAB might be valuable against the opponent, I might switch him out and forgo the "suicide" part of this lead.
---------------------------------------

Hitmontop @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Mach Punch
- Close Combat
- Sucker Punch

I really, really like my Technitop. He usually performs the job of clean-up, when some of my other Pokemon fail to KO the opponent, Top just comes in and priorities them to death. He's also useful for sweepers who I might have let set up too far, coming in and softening them up with Fake Out, then the according priority move of Mach Punch or Sucker Punch (the two of which get the "unresisted fighting-dark" combo, so I'll usually have a good move to use). Some slow, bulky, things sometimes like to stay in on Top, where they underestimate it's power and get 2KOd by Close Combat. Overall, I'm really happy with his performance, but if you have something that really woos me over, don't feel bashful about suggesting it.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Earth Power
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Toxic

My favorite Heatran set. I usually dislike Choice Sets, because I really am not fond of switching around (although Choice items are great for the Battle Frontier in-game XD). I find Heatran almost always comes in on Scizors. When they switch out, I use Substitute and then proceed to Toxic the switch-in, usually a bulky water type that really hate getting poisoned. So, basically, my Heatran works like: Come in on one of its many resistances or Fire-type moves and throw moves around to weaken the opposing team. Some people use Heatran to clean up and revenge kill, I use it to batter the enemy.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 84 Atk/208 Spd/216 SAtk
Mild nature (+SAtk, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Outrage

Second half of the battering crew, the new MixMence still gets people. It's really satisfying to kill Swamperts, Zapdos, and Rotom-appliance forms that switch in with Draco Meteor. Rarely, I wish that it had a bit more speed, but his power right now is just right. You can't have everything, I guess. Earthquake and Fire Blast are useful for Steels, especially when I switch Salamence in to Intimidate a Scizor and then burn it to a crisp. His versatility is really great, and I usually let him wreak as much havoc as possible and then let him die off from Life Orb recoil. As always, any suggestions will be considered.

Gyarados @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP/108 Atk/100 Def/144 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Taunt
- Bounce

This Gyarados is really great. It's a sort of bulky-Dancing Dos that really gets people. I usually switch in on something it threatens and
Dragon Dance as they usually switch to a counter. I almost always then use Taunt, because they'll try some garbage like Pseudo-hazing or status. As the usual-wall then does measly damage to the pretty bulky Gyarados, I continue to gain stats and even Taunting when the first fades. People seem to just sit there and wait for the Taunt to wear off, and by then, Gyarados is pretty much unstoppable. I sometimes wish I had Earthquake in that last slot, because Empoleon has stopped me more than once. :< I also consider Ice Fang or Stone Edge because Zapdos has foiled me once in a while. Otherwise, Bounce catches people by surprise and allows me some extra Leftovers recovery. I saw this being used by someone somewhere, but I don't remember who and can't give credit. If you know or you are the person, by all means let me know and I'll credit you with an effective set. ^^

Yanmega @ Petaya Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- Reversal
- Substitute

Mwahahahahaha, I just added this thing today and I love how it has been working. As the match is entering late-game, this big bug comes in and starts to sub, accomplishing 3 things: Bringing me closer to that Petaya boost, bringing me closer to max Reversal power, and also protecting me from status and priority. I love how Blisseys switch into this expecting to wall it to heck and then having their Thunder Waves foiled by Substitute. I considered investing some Attack EVs to make an OHKO on most forms of Blissey, but at this default state a clean 2KO is still achieved, which seems just fine to me. Finally, the speed boosts I get are super-helpful as I slowly grow to be unstoppable. MWAHHAHAHAHAH *lighting flash* As much as I love this thing, if you have a super-Pokemon that would fit this team perfectly in this spot, feel free to suggest it and I might consider it. :]

For closing remarks, I have yet to find a Pokemon that just completely screws this team over, but if you find a weakness be sure to point it out. I notice I lack Grass and Electric type moves, but the target of the grass move (Swampert) can be 2KOd by an unboosted Bug Buzz from Yanmega and OHKOd by a Draco Meteor from Salamence. Surprisingly, I have yet to miss the electric coverage, but if you have an effective way to weave it into the team and find it necessary, then you know what to do. :D

Edit: Looking back at the team, I realized my last three Pokes have weaknesses to Stealth Rock. ._. I'm surprised I haven't noticed this before, but I guess Aerodactyl does such a good job at stopping those rocks I've yet to have trouble. Besides, Gyarados has Leftovers and is quite bulky and for Yanmega, it just means 2 less Substitutes to use (or none if it switches on Rocks twice).

Thanks ahead of time!

Might wanna change Yanmegas nature from Modest to Mild or Quiet nature if you're using Reversal.

Yeah, maybe you should take somthing off hitmontop for rapid spin... but thats a real shame. Thats an awsome Tech-Top set.

Maybe try a revenge killer Flygon over Hitmontop.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 SAtk
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Thunderpunch
- U-turn
---

It can OHKO Mence or Gyara after a DD. It has better synergy with Heatran than does Hitmontop, and provides your team an Electric immunity. U-turn is an extremely useful move.

I know you don't like Choice items, but scarfs are very powerful in today's metagame. If you want to play offense, then you need a revenge killer.

Yanmega is fine as a finisher.

Ubers are awesome said:
Have you ever considered putting a spinner on here, a lot of your team is weak to stealth rock...
Yes, I've considered a spinner, but I mentioned in my OP that I surprisingly have not found it to be troublesome yet. If it gets that annoying, I'll consider it, thanks.

7ay said:
Might wanna change Yanmegas nature from Modest to Mild or Quiet nature if you're using Reversal.

Yeah, maybe you should take somthing off hitmontop for rapid spin... but thats a real shame. Thats an awsome Tech-Top set.
I've considered changing the nature, but also as mentioned above, my current set 2KOs Blissey comfortably with Reversal, and that is pretty much my main target. Maybe if I want to smack other things around stronger, but right now I'd like to keep Yanmega's somewhat-decent (non-frail?) defenses as high as possible.

mtr12 said:
Maybe try a revenge killer Flygon over Hitmontop.

Flygon (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Atk/252 SAtk
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Thunderpunch
- U-turn
---

It can OHKO Mence or Gyara after a DD. It has better synergy with Heatran than does Hitmontop, and provides your team an Electric immunity. U-turn is an extremely useful move.

I know you don't like Choice items, but scarfs are very powerful in today's metagame. If you want to play offense, then you need a revenge killer.

Yanmega is fine as a finisher.
In fact, I've used a revenge Scarf-gon on a different team (with Fire Blast over Thunderpunch and a Naive nature) and it worked great, but I like the priority that Top brings. Of course, looking at my team again, I really need an electric resistance, so I'll think about it some more. Thanks for the suggestion.

First, I'd like to begin by saying you have a pretty good team here. It seems pretty good, but as always, I'm here to point out immediate problems I see with the team.

The first major problem I see on this team is a lack of speed, which will cause you to lose against faster-paced offensive teams. By this, I mean that Pokémon such as Latias, LOCune, and Zapdos can easily sweep through your team with little effort.

In order to fix this problem, I recommend changing around a few Pokémon and sets on this team.

To begin with, the new standard EV Spread for MixMence is: Naive Nature - 252 Spe / 240 SpA / 16 Atk. Running this EV spread allows you to tie with base 100's and beat other general Pokémon such as Jolly Lucario.

To be honest, I'm finding little use for Yanmega on this team, as it not only increases your Rock weakness (to which you only have one resist), but you have no way of beating Scizor with this set, which is everywhere in the current metagame. I'm going to go ahead and recommend you run Jolteon over your Yanmega for a few reasons: 1) It forms perfect synergy with Gyarados by nullifying its Electric weakness and 2) Jolteon is one of the best late-game sweepers in the game.

Specifically, I'd like you to test this set:

Jolteon @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Charge Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power Grass

This Jolteon is easy to use. Switch Jolteon into a Pokémon who fears it, use Charge Beam to raise your Special Attack stat, and proceed to sweep the opponent's team.

I'd like you to go ahead and test the current suggestions I have provided for your team. I'd like to know how the testing works out for you, and if you have any more problems, feel free to contact me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)