ORAS Doubles OU Team For Beginners

Which pokemon is the best pokemon to replace on my team?

• Heatran

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sylveon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sableye

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Deoxys Speed

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Mega Kangashkan

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Scizor

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Sylveon (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I chose Sylveon because it even hits almost all pokemon who even resist it with decent damage. Also, it is the only pokemon with high attacking stats, bulk, and few weaknesses that are relatively rare.

The main role of Sylveon is to almost always at least get decent chip damage. Because of it's ability, Sylveon is almost always guranteed to inflict decent damage.

Sylveon is slow, which is why I didn't put any status moves on it. Sylveon's special attack move coverage is very small, so I feel like I have no choice but to put psyshock, shadow ball and hypervoice. Hidden power ground is for hitting Heatrans. Psyshocks is for fire type with weak defense and Gengars. Shadow ball is for Cofagriguses

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Parental Bond
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Sucker Punch
- Seismic Toss

I chose M.K. because it can deal with sweepers and walls. Also, I can use it to choose which pokemon I do not want to move when M.K. is making it's first turn.

The main role of Mega Kangashkan is to pressure on my opponent. Few things can survive an encounter with, so it is very predictable what my opponents will use just because I am using a mega kangashkan. Sometimes when I want to make sure my opponent can't use one of his pokemon for a turn, M.K. comes in handy.

I chose sucker punch cause M.K.'s speed is only 100.
I chose Seismic Toss to deal with walls and to circumvent intimidate and willowisp.
I chose fake out because dealing 60 damage with 252 evs with 125 base attack, and forcing a pokemon to flinch at the same time is just too awesome.

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Swords Dance

I chose Scizor because it is the only (with the exception of Mega Metagross) steel or poison type pokemon that can do a hard hitting super effective physical attack against faries without letting Mega Gardevoir go first.

The role of scizor is to quickly do massive amount of damage to pokemon who can do spread attacks. Those pokemon include faries with hyper voice, ice types with blizzard under snow warning or hail, and Terrakion with rock slide.

Bullet punch is used for reasons I have already mentioned above.
I chose swords dance and knock off in case my scizor gets intimidated or willowisped.

Sableye (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Recover
- Taunt

I chose sableye because moving before other pokemon is awesome ,and all 4 of his moves can be used in almost any situation. Confuse ray, willowisp, and recover have great synergy as those 3 moves pretty much shuts down any pokemon who only has physical attacks. Taunt can shut down spore and sleep powder. With sableye, except against talonflame and scrappy users, I can always inflict some type of status on my opponent even before he/she moves because of the ability prankster.

Deoxys-Speed @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Ice Beam
- Focus Blast

I chose Deoxys Speed because there are no other pokemon that are speedy, bulky, and have a decent damage ice, electric, and fighting type attack all in 1 category(physical or special).

The main role of Deoxys Attack is stop fast pokemon like Talonflame and Greninja in their tracks.
Another role is to nuetralize a lot of popular pokemon that are weak to ice including

I chose thunderbolt to deal with Greninja and Talonflame. I chose ice beam to deal with Garchomp, Thundo, and Lando. Focus blast is for t-tar, ferrethorn, and normal type walls.

Heatran (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Ancient Power

I chose Heatran because I had trouble with drought pokemon.

The main role of Heatran is to nuetralize fire pokemon. It is the only pokemon that is immune to fire, resistant to grass, resistant to brave birds's from talonflame, and has moves that can do supereffective damage to all fire types with earth power and/or ancient power. My second role is to nuetralize spore cause Heatran is always faster than the spore users non scarfed if speed stats are not affected.

I chose ancient power and earth power to neutralize fire types. I chose heatwave because heatwave hits 2 pokemon at once and can be strengthened if my opponent has a pokemon with drought, or if Heatran gets hit with a fire type attack. Flash cannon is to hit faries in case my scizor has fainted already.

Hi Alexander n_n

I don't really know how to fix your team without completely butchering it unfortunately. Your team is made up of 2 really good mons(Kangaskhan and Heatran) 1 sub par mon(Sylveon) and 3 very sub par mons(Deo-S, Scizor, Sableye) which have little to no synergy with each other. That being said, about every team in doubles is built with a powerful core or an individual mon in mind and things are added to beat popular cores and mons that give that core or individual mon trouble then cover the weaknesses of whatever you added while having something for popular playstyles(Trick Room, Sun, Rain etc). The end result is usually a team that is able to handle the majority of the metagame and has good offensive synergy. Your team lacks good reasoning for the mons you chose(imo) and its not like you just slapped together 6 top tier threats so it looks like a really good team, you chose really peculiar mons that don't work well together.

When I tried to "fix" your team I started over with Kanga + Sylveon and added Heatran to deal with the steels(Ferrothorn, Aegisalsh, Jirachi etc.) rocky helmet Amoonguss, and other common things that trouble this core. I had 3/6 of the original mons but as I continued to build the team looked nothing like yours and I even got rid of Sylveon for Amoonguss when I realized I had no water resist and that Rage Powder support was greatly appreciated.

Most/all of your sets/spreads were pretty unconventional and bad to some degree(no protect on anything, max hp offensive Deo-S, life orb 4 attack Heatran among other things). Teambuilding becomes a million times easier when you are familiar with the metagame and know what to expect from the pokemon you face as well as knowing what the best sets are to use. So ima drop some knowledge bombs and link you some helpful threads that should integrate you into doubles tier and hopefully help you learn a lot. If you have any questions on teambuilding or the doubles tier in general feel free to ask or come to the smogon doubles room on showdown :^)

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-new-players-that-are-lost-look-here.3543679/

I would suggest looking at the "Viability Ranking", "What does this mon do", "EV spread compendium", and "Sample Teams"

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/doubles-overview-benchmarks-and-q-a-thread—read-before-asking.3498688/

A lot of helpful information and another place to ask questions

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Sucker Punch
- Return
- Power-Up Punch

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 21 Spe
- Rage Powder
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 52 HP / 180 SpA / 24 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Deoxys-Attack @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Psycho Boost
- Superpower
- Extreme Speed
- Protect

Landorus-Therian @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Def / 160 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Thundurus @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 244 HP / 108 Def / 64 SpA / 72 SpD / 20 Spe
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Taunt

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)