Team Devoted (10th Ranked UU RMT)

With the testing being done in UU, I thought it would be fun to make a team and try it out. My original goal was to get 1600, which I accomplished. As of now the team has peaked at ten, and I’m not sure if I want to use it any further or not (Laddering is boring, I'm surprised I stuck with it this long). But enough of the boring intro, lets get to the team.

Team Devoted

This team doesn’t revolve around creating a hole for a specific sweeper but rather attempts to have every member support each other and to force switches to rack up damage through entry hazards and powerful choice attacks. If I had to pick a style it fit under, I would say bulky offense…

At A glance...

In Depth...

Roserade (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 178 HP/252 Spd/80 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Stun Spore
- Leech Seed
---
Overview:

When I was deciding on leads I knew I wanted spikes support. Roserade stuck out as the best for my team. Unfortunately, spikes conflicts with two of Roserade's best moves; Leaf Storm and Sleep Powder. I wasn't sure how well this set would work, but it did remarkably well. Sludge Bomb is for a solid stab attack and Stun Spore is so its not complete set-up bait. Leech Seed is to help force switches and add a bit more healing.

Synergy:
Roserade gets up entry hazards for me early, which is part of the overall goal of the team. Stun Spore allows for paralysis support, which makes threats easier to deal with. Leech Seed can help heal other members of the team, if only slightly. It has enough speed to revenge some threats coupled with water resistance and immunity to leech seed. It also can act as a status absorber thanks to natural cure.

Registeel @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/100 Atk/156 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Iron Head
- Explosion
---
Overview:
I wanted a strong defense to fall back on when my offense wasn't able to break through. I also needed Stealth Rock to hit those immune to spikes. Registeel does that perfectly. He's very hard to kill, and has a lot of useful resistances. Thunder Wave is to catch fast sweepers trying to switch in to scare him out. Iron Head is to keep Mismagius from being able to set up on him, and as a solid attack to finish things off. Explosion is to try and score another KO when Registeel is about to die and it's not possible to save him.

Synergy:
Without Registeel, the team would be lost. He keeps so many of the top offensive threats in check and spreads paralysis. He adds another entry hazard into the mix with Stealth Rock and can blow up. He also draws in fire attacks for Arcanine.

Hitmontop (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Punch
---
Overview:
Technitop with rapid spin. I needed priority, so I couldn't use the bulkier version. At the same time, since I'm forcing a lot of switches entry hazards could be a real threat to my team. Close Combat is standard STAB attack to hit anything that doesn't resist it pretty hard. Mach Punch is for revenging things that don't resist fighting, Bullet Punh is for those that do.

Synergy:
My main revenge-killer. Provides Rapid Spin support to keep entry hazards off the field which lets my other Pokemon switch in a lot more. Without him, Rain Dance would walk all over me no question, he at least provides somewhat of a check to them. He can take a few hits in the event that no one else can. Finally, he draws in Psychic Attacks that give Spiritomb the oppurtunity to switch in.

Espeon (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Trick
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic
- Grass Knot
---
Overview:
Espeon is a threat I found a lot of teams unprepared for. This guy rips thorough anything that isn't a dedicated special wall. I considered using Gardevoir in this spot, but Espeon's speed was too much to pass up on. I'm not entirely sold on the move-set, but it's worked really well so far. His three attacks are to deal with whatever Pokemon my opponent has out, or I suspect them of switching to. Trick is to deal with walls to help break down stall teams.

Synergy:
Without him, my team would lose a lot of firepower. He helps to cleanup late game, and forces a lot of switches. Trick helps me beat stall, or Pokemon that try to set up. Not much else to say, he's a very straightforward member.

Arcanine (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 104 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 152 Spe
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Extremespeed
- Flare Blitz
- Fire Fang
- Thunder Fang
---
Overview:
Another threat I found a lot of teams unprepared for, Band Arcanine. He adds a crucial fire immunity along with the ability to break down walls. With spikes support, there isn't a lot that can switch into Flare Blitz. That list drops down a lot when the Flash Fire boost is in play. Thunder Fang is for coverage, though it doesn't get a lot of use. E-Speed is to add more priority to the team to keep fast sweepers from wrecking me.

Synergy:
The biggest thing Arcanine does for the team is take fire attacks. With a boost and spikes, he can 2hko even some water-type walls, which lets him break stall very easily. He forces a lot of switches due to absorbing choice fire attacks and threatening to KO fragile sweepers with E-Speed. He also draws in water attacks, which can either be used to finish setting up spikes be Roserade or a set-up oppurtunity for Spiritomb.

Spiritomb (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Dark Pulse
- Calm Mind
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
---
Overview:
The star of the show. Spiritomb finds so many opportunities to switch in, and once he's in hes hard to take out. Rest/Talk allows for increased survivability and aids in pressure stalling. He also works as a status absorber. Calm Mind is what makes the set what it is. After one or two he's very hard to kill and packs a pretty strong punch. I was surprised how often I was able to get in six calm minds, but once that happens he's only dying to hax.
Synergy:
Spiritomb does so much for the team. Being able to absorb Psychic, Normal, and Fighting attacks give him ample opportunities to switch in. He is my preferred status absorber and sweeper. He also functions as a wall, having no weaknesses and a lot of bulk.

So that's my team. As you can see, its goal is to force switches and rack up entry hazard damage until it's time for one of my sweepers to come in and finish it. During early game, I try to determine which one of my three finishers will have the biggest opening, and I try to conserve them till the end. I've had some decent success with this team, but I know it's not perfect. Any advice will be considered, and I appreciate you taking the time to read my team.

One Last Look...

Defensive
Altaria - Pretty annoying, but Espeon can trick it. Usually gets worn down eventually

Articuno - Registeel walls it pretty well, Espeon and Arcanine can KO it

Blastoise - Tomb blocks spin and then proceeds to set up on it.

Chansey - Espeon can trick it, Arcanine and Top KO it. It can't really do much to tomb, and he can PP stall it out of recovery.

Claydol - Espeon can 2HKO it and tomb sets up on it

Clefable - Top and Arcanine can KO it.

Cradily - Espeon and Arcanine don't have too many issues with this guy.

Drapion - I'd rather see it on defense than offense. Arcanine and Top take care of it.

Gastrodon - Rade can scare it out, even with no grass attack. Tomb can set up, Espeon can trick or OHKO

Kangaskhan - Annoying because of scrappy, but Top, Arcanine, and Espeon aren't scared

Lanturn - Tomb, Top, and Espeon can handle it.

Mesprit - Tomb sets up, Espeon and Arcanine 2HKO at the least

Milotic - One of the hardest things to take out, but without haze tomb can set up on it. Espeon can 2hko.

Miltank - Arcanine, top, and espeon all KO. Tomb can set up

Muk - Espeon.

Nidoqueen -Espeon.

Porygon2 - Top, Arcanine and Espeon can handle it, tomb sets up

Probopass - If it shows up its trying to trap Registeel, which it probably will be able to do. After that, its no problem at all.

Quagsire - Espeon can OHKO and Roserade can force out.

Regigigas - If I ever see one, I think top, espeon and arcanine can handle it

Regirock - If sandstorm is up and it gets off a curse it's a nightmare. Otherwise, top and Espeon deal with it

Regice - Arcanine and Top have no issue.

Registeel - Tomb can set up, Arcanine and Top will handle it if not.

Shuckle - Maybe the most annoying pokemon ever made. Espeon can trick it. Other then that I have to wear it down

Slowbro - Tomb sets up, espeon 2hkos.

Spiritomb - Arcanine has to handle this one.

Torterra - It's more of a threat on offense. It can't switch into Espeon or Arcanine, and tomb can kind of wall it.

Umbreon - Top or Arcanine for this one.

Uxie - Set-up for tomb, Arcanine and Espeon can at least 2hko otherwise

Offensive Threats

Absol- Hitmontop handles it.

Altaria - Registeel.

Ambipom - Registeel, Tomb, or Top.

Arcanine- Arcanine can handle fire attacks, Espeon can revenge in emergency.

Azumarill - An issue that has to be played carefully. Roserade can take water attacks. Espeon can take an aqua jet and KO in return.

Blaziken -Tomb takes Fighting, Arcanine gets Fire. Easily revenged if nessacary

Charizard - Arcanine has no issue.

Drapion - Registeel can paralyze or blow up on it. Hitmontop can also handle it

Espeon- Tomb and Registeel can handle it. E-Speed to revenge if nessacry

Feraligatr - Roserade can take its water attacks. Registeel walls pretty well and he's easy to revenge if all else fails.

Floatzel - Registell walls.

Glaceon - Hitmontop/Arcanine.

Hariyama - Espeon has no issue.

Hitmonlee - Tomb walls, espeon KOs

Hitmonchan - See Hitmonlee.

Hitmontop - Walled by tomb if it lacks foresight, otherwise killed by espeon

Houndoom - Top and Arcanine have no issue taking this guy out.

Kabutops - Top can handle it, so can registeel

Linoone - Registeel and Tomb wall. Everything else can KO it anyway.

Magmortar - Arcanine can take the fire attacks.
Magneton - Trying to trap registeel, nothing I can do there. Otherwise easy to kill.

Marowak - Espeon can KO.

Medicham - Tomb can wall. KOd by the others

Mismagius -CM will lose to tomb and can be forced out by registeel.

Nidoking - Espeon.

Omastar - Hitmontop/Espeon KO.

Pinsir - Tomb can handle it usually, and it has a hard time setting up anything

Poliwrath -Espeon and Tomb can take care of it.

Roserade - Tomb takes sleep. Espeon and Arcanine can KO.

Sceptile - Walled by registeel

Scyther - Registeel.

Swellow - Registeel again.

Tauros - Hitmontop.
Toxicroak - Espeon can deal with all but suckerpunhers, Tomb gets them.

Typhlosion -Arcanine can take the fire attacks and KO.

Ursaring - Registeel and Top.

Venusaur -Rade can take the leech seed, tomb can take the sleep. Arcanine and Espeon KO.

I'm pretty sure that you know me , I hate facing your team.Actually I don't get the point of your Espy set.Maybe you could run Hidden Power-Ground somewhere to cover Drapion and the steel types.Probably over Grass Knot , and maybe Signal Beam over Shadow Ball? You can hit the dark types super effectively with it , while it still keeps the Psychic coverage.

You have most of my team's banes , like Espeon , Hitmontop and Arcanine , no wonder I never beat you (we only battled 2 times but whatever.) Anyways , good luck and nice team:)

I use a similar Hitmontop on my team, but I use Sucker Punch over Bullet Punch. It's a good counter to ghosts and psychics that may switch in, but only if they don't use a status move on you. It may be something to consider.

I hate face you, too >_>

Your team is very good. I think Signal Beam over Grass knot on espeon will be a better option, since it has more coverage.

On Arcanine, what these EV's are for? Max spd / atk won't be better?

Nothing much to say, it's a really good team. Congratz

I echo the espeon comments... other than that this team is solid. I dont know that I have gotten to play this team yet... Though, I think I might have once because it seems like I remember this team (or at least the Arcanine and Espeon).

1 minor thing:
You need to give your arcanine JUST a little more speed.
WHY?-
LO Moltres

Besides Arcy none of your other pokes enjoy a Fire Blast. it either Ko's them out right or puts them at disgustingly low health.
This has an a very simple fix that will alleviate the problem altogether.
I checked for you and the Standard LO Moltres runs 188 spe ev's putting it at 263 spe.
Your Arcanine hits 261 spe.
That means you have to take an air slash before you get to hit the thing unless you Extremespeed. Either way, I suggest you make Arcanine this: 104 Hp/ 252 Atk./ 152 Spe. You now outspeed that Moltres by one point. With that spread, its a very minor tweak that covers a potential headache quite nicely. You even maintain an odd Hp for SR damage.

Thanks for the rates guys. Yeah I'm pretty sure it does, idk been a while since I seen a moltres so I can't remember. As I said, I wasn't sold on Espeon's set so I will test these suggestions.

EDIT: Thanks for the info, I will make that change.

I've played this team, it's pretty good, however I think there is one glaring weakness that I noticed; Blaziken (as most teams seem to be weak to '.')

Blaziken can switch into Roserade, Registeel, Arcanine, Espeons Grass Knot, and Spiritomb. This gives it plenty of chanses to OHKO one of your Pokemon with one of it's hard-hitting attacks.

Your threat list doesn't take into acount that it can switch attacks, so Spiritomb and Arcanine really aren't good answers.

Now to fix this, I suggest a simple switch in your Arcanine's ability. Your Arcanine is EV'd bulky-ish, so IMO abuse this with Intimidate. This lets Arcanine switch into Superpower at least once and KO Blaziken with ExtreemeSpeed.

Also, why are you using Grass Knot over something like Hidden Power Ground (if you want to keep 350 Speed)? Hidden Power Ground can take care of Steel-types while also giving you the ability to hit Drapion, and your current moveset is completely walled by it. Drapion can be a huge threat to your team considering you have Zero switch-ins. So basically, I suggest you use Hidden Power Ground on Espeon to revenge kill Swords Dance Drapion and hit Steel-types for a good chunk of damage.

EDIT: My point about Arcanine was that it can switch into Blaziken regardless of its attack.

The reason I'm using Flash Fire is to absorb Fire attacks. I know it can switch, but I can't afford to lose my immunity to fire, arcanine will simply get worn down to easy by fire attackers. I do admit if I predit wrong I will lose a Pokemon to blaziken, so I have to play around it.

As for espeon, thats the Hidden Power i'm leaning towards using, and those reasons just make me want to use it more.

Thanks for the rate, and I will consider the arcanine change.

Hey Luv, my team is basically like this, with the Roserade Spikes support + CB Arcanine ESpeed rape, so I can help you out. But cmon you need to fit in a bulky water somewhere, you are RIDICULOUSLY weak to Blaziken. I use either Milotic or Quagsire to finish that core. But first...

I told you before on Xat how you're worrying too much about blocking Rapid Spin. With Foresight Hitmontop roaming around, it's hard to block it with Tomb. Hitmontop can Foresight you and Rapid Spin or Close Combat you while you can't do much back or set up with CM. I'd replace Spiritomb for Scarf Mismagius as your newest revenge killer + Ghost. With this you can at least hit Hitmontop for decent damage, although Sucker Punch is still a bitch but if Hitmontop has Foresight it's very unlikely it'll have Sucker Punch.

Since I added a new revenge killer, you can fit room for Foresight over Bullet Punch on Top imo. The pokemon who are revenge killed by Bullet Punch are also revenged by Mismagius, so there's no need for it anymore, right? With Foresight, yeah you know. Now that I think about, Close Combat and Mach Punch with nothing else but Rapid Spin and Foresight, seems redundant. You should fit Foresight in there but I guess it's personal preference on the rest of the set.

Espeon and Mismagius seems redudant in type coverage, so you can replace Espeon for a bulky water Milotic or Quagsire. I personally don't like THAT Roserade as a lead, but there's no one else who can fit that slot so go ahead and keep it.

Try not to take my suggestions TOO seriously, considering the success you seem to have. Just remember, ladder means SHIT.

edit: Oh as for Arcanine, switch to Intimidate.

I appriacte the rate, and I'll think about what you said. Not sure if I want to change the core that much, but maybe that's what it needs. Thank you.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey Luv, my team is basically like this, with the Roserade Spikes support + CB Arcanine ESpeed rape, so I can help you out. But cmon you need to fit in a bulky water somewhere, you are RIDICULOUSLY weak to Blaziken. I use either Milotic or Quagsire to finish that core. But first...
How is his team weak to Blaziken? It can only switch into Spiritomb and Registeel, and even then its not like it will be switching into attacks a lot even if they are resisted. 4/6 of his team easily kills Blaziken, and he has Arcanine and Spiritomb that can easily switch into it if he wants to play around it.

I don't see how his team could be weak to a pokemon that is easily KOd by almost every pokemon he is using.

EDIT: My point about Arcanine was that it can switch into Blaziken regardless of its attack.
525 Atk vs 176 Def & 301 HP (120 Base Power): 192 - 226 (63.79% - 75.08%)

Yeah, sounds like Blaziken is going to love switching into Arcanine.

edit: Oh as for Arcanine, switch to Intimidate.
He really needs that Fire immunity, as he posted. I would suggest keeping it as FF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)