OU Talonflame

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
maybe the EVs I gave aren't perfect, but I feel that it really doesn't need max speed due to the priority that it gets on one of it's two STABs, and 126 is still blazingly fast, and it needs to be able to take a hit if it is to stand a chance of even a late game sweep, seeing as even at +2 there are still pleanty of things aside from Tyranitar, defensive Rotom-W and defensive Rotom-H that can take the Brave Bird/Flare Blitz combo tbh (as base 81 whatever it is) isn't very high.

BurningMan

fueled by beer
maybe the EVs I gave aren't perfect, but I feel that it really doesn't need max speed due to the priority that it gets on one of it's two STABs, and 126 is still blazingly fast, and it needs to be able to take a hit if it is to stand a chance of even a late game sweep, seeing as even at +2 there are still pleanty of things aside from Tyranitar, defensive Rotom-W and defensive Rotom-H that can take the Brave Bird/Flare Blitz combo tbh (as base 81 whatever it is) isn't very high.
Again you NEED to outspeed Mega-Pinsir as it is one of the most important targets given how threatening it is. the fact that you have priority on BB means that you actually don't need to take a hit, you never want to take a hit even with 252 HP investment Talonflame would still be incredibly frail especially since Talonflame is extremely suicidal due to his reliance on recoil moves and being weak to SR only adds to that. So being able to avoid taking damage from opposing attacks by attacking first is incredibly important.

Especially on choice band, I want to outrun Jolly Mega Pinsir so I can brave bird before he quick attacks. Sure with hp evs it doesn't OHKO with +2 QA, but recoil damage can lead to double downs or just plain losing to Pinsir. That needs 208 spe EVs and you are left with 48 (assuming fully invested atk).

Though there's nothing notable from 105 - 110 that you need to outspeed, the final choice is between 12 more hp or speed tying or outspeeding hp invested Talonflame, one of the most popular pokemon in the tier. I think the choice is pretty obvious.
Mmm.. Latios might be worth outspeeding, also Gengar might be (in the case where you want to U-turn and know that you can outspeed Gengar if it isn't scarfed)

Just curious, would a spread of 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe work? With this spread, Talonflame hits 340 Speed, which is still enough to outspeed Mega Pinsir, and also allows Talonflame to take a bit more recoil. Of course, with all the max Speed Talonflame running around, I doubt this would be us use.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just curious, would a spread of 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe work? With this spread, Talonflame hits 340 Speed, which is still enough to outspeed Mega Pinsir, and also allows Talonflame to take a bit more recoil. Of course, with all the max Speed Talonflame running around, I doubt this would be us use.
That, and outrunning 110s is pretty useful. say you're against a team with like, idk, a weakened latios and a skarm left. flare blitz AND you outrun latios, you win. can't outrun latios and blitz it? you lose. this is an ultra-specific scenario, but i mean, stuff like gengar, latias, and 108s (keld, rak) you wouldn't outrun w/o max speed. the higher speed lets you tie other talons (important) and will let you clean in certain scenarios where you wouldn't with 208 speed. good enough reasons.

alright. alex, could you list the bu set second? it's bulky and useful throughout the match. talon's checks/counters are so common -- bu sets up on some of them, sd doesn't really help with those. i've also tested out a will-o-wisp set (over taunt) that proves effective in every stage of the match. early/mid-game, you burn talon's counters, and wear them down throughout the battle. this set allows talon to bypass its counter gradually, which is really helpful. here's an spl match where it was used. while masterclass doesn't win (partially due to a crit on talonflame), you can see wow's effectiveness throughout the battle in wearing down a rotom-w. this happens on a very consistent basis, and makes breaking through these counters much easier. honestly, i think you ought to slash it -- it's really good.

That, and outrunning 110s is pretty useful. say you're against a team with like, idk, a weakened latios and a skarm left. flare blitz AND you outrun latios, you win. can't outrun latios and blitz it? you lose. this is an ultra-specific scenario, but i mean, stuff like gengar, latias, and 108s (keld, rak) you wouldn't outrun w/o max speed. the higher speed lets you tie other talons (important) and will let you clean in certain scenarios where you wouldn't with 208 speed. good enough reasons.
I can't tell if I'm reading that wrong. Did you just say to use Flare Blitz on a Latios? Latios resists Flare Blitz, so Brave Bird would be the better option, since Latios doesn't resist Flying. In fact, all of those Pokemon you mentioned are better dealt with using Brave Bird thanks to Gale Wings. I think you may have forgot about that amazing ability.

Last edited:

BurningMan

fueled by beer
I can't tell if I'm reading that wrong. Did you just say to use Flare Blitz on a Latios? Latios resists Flare Blitz, so Brave Bird would be the better option, since Latios doesn't resist Flying. In fact, all of those Pokemon you mentioned are better dealt with using Brave Bird thanks to Gale Wings. I think you may have forgot about that amazing ability.
No he didn't, think of this scenario. You bring in your CB Talonflame against a Gengar but your opponent has a Ferrothorn on his team in that case it would be better to be able to KO Gengar with Flare Blitz so your opponent can't just bring in his Ferrotorn to wall your Brave Bird.

I am pretty sure Jukain was talking about CB talonflame so your best option in the Latios example would be to KO the Latios (by weakend he propably means something around 30-40% health) with Flare Blitz even if its resisted to be able to take out the Skarmory after that without having to switch out (and possibly taking SR damage).

epikkyogre78

Banned deucer.
From my experience with Talonflame, Will-O-Wisp is a viable option on the CB set to get chip damage on some of Talonflame's counters, like Rotom-W or Donphan.

No he didn't, think of this scenario. You bring in your CB Talonflame against a Gengar but your opponent has a Ferrothorn on his team in that case it would be better to be able to KO Gengar with Flare Blitz so your opponent can't just bring in his Ferrotorn to wall your Brave Bird.

I am pretty sure Jukain was talking about CB talonflame so your best option in the Latios example would be to KO the Latios (by weakend he propably means something around 30-40% health) with Flare Blitz even if its resisted to be able to take out the Skarmory after that without having to switch out (and possibly taking SR damage).
I was sorta viewing this from the standpoint of the Swords Dance set, since Talonflame can switch moves there. On the CB set, full Speed ahead, by all means, but on the Swords Dance set, Talonflame doesn't really need to worry about Pokemon above Base 105 thanks to Gale Wings and the ability to switch moves. I apologize for the mix up.

EDIT: I just read the Choice Band set. Why is the Sharp Beak listed as an item on that set? I'm no QC, but it just seems awkward to run Sharp Beak on a set that's called Choice Band.

Could you add Blissey/Chansey as Checks? They cannot stomach +2 Brave Birds, but they do make Talonflame take massive Recoil. Or could you at least mention it somewhere?

Mowtom

I'm truly still meta, enjoy this acronym!
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
On the choice band set, should roost go before tailwind? If you use tailwind, a teammate has only one turn to abuse it (one turn to set tailwind, one turn to switch, and one turn to abuse).

You should definitely add Mega Pinsir to team options, if it's there already then I missed it. Talonflame + Mega Pinsir is an incredible offensive core, if you want to give up your mega slot. Works like Staraptor and Talonflame, but Mega Pinsir has better priority, and is a lot cooler.

On the choice band set, should roost go before tailwind? If you use tailwind, a teammate has only one turn to abuse it (one turn to set tailwind, one turn to switch, and one turn to abuse).
The idea is to come in on low health, use Tailwind, and pray your opponent goes for the kill. This way you can use 2 turns of Tailwind. Granted, successfully utilising Tailwind can be a bit tricky, but when it succeeds, and you get in a slow but hard-hitting Pokemon (eg. Nidoking), things are most certainly going to die. Roost is a bit poor option on Band set, since u don't really like to get stuck on Roost. The idea is to pick Roost if you use Sharp Beak instead of CB.

i think will-o-wisp should be slashed in bu set. just is amazingly good: allow you to wear down most of your common switch ins like rotom-w, lando-t, ttar etc. also bu should be the 2nd set, simply bu remains utility for the entire game: spreading burns, checking things like m-mawile, m-venu, scizor etc. early/mid-game, and cleaning with bu in late-game. sd is not as good as it was, with all your counters all around.

All right, so the new strategy dex is going up very soon and there are several Pokemon, including this one, that do not currently have completed analyses. alexwolf, if you could please try to make this look presentable within the next day, that would be helpful. Please contact user darkie once you've made it look presentable (by that I mean "acceptable to be on-site") and refer to and update this pirate pad: https://www.piratepad.ca/p/dex_skeletons

This needs to be done by tomorrow afternoon (GMT -6), so make sure you get it done! If you can't make it look presentable in the next day, please say so in the pirate pad so someone else can make a quick skeleton of it. Thanks!

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Awesome job overall. Just got a few things on C&C:
Such Pokemon are Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Heatran, Rotom-H, Zapdos, Zapdos, and Mega Aerodactyl, with Tyranitar, Rotom-W, and specially defensive Heatran straight up countering most of Talonflame's sets.
The only Tyranitar set that has any business switching into CB Talonflame repeatedly is support phys def, and that's only because it takes ~20% from U-turn when you factor in the turn of Leftovers upon switching in and the turn of Leftovers as a forced switch occurs. Also, standard support Tyranitar, which doesn't have Stone Edge, is shit on by BU Talonflame (well, every Tyranitar set is, as Talon hits it with the Wisp on the switch and you have a useless Tyranitar. Most Tyranitar are unreliable against CB (this is besides phys def), and all are shit on by BU because of WoW.

You should also mention that Rotom-W is very prone to being worn down by U-turns and SR, as well as Wisp Talon if it isn't ChestoRest.

Heatran also actually beats Wisp BU due to Toxic, so you should mention that. Also, many Heatran are starting to carry a Rock move -- this also allows them to beat Talonflame.

Also, mention that because of U-turn, Rotom-H is a shitty answer if SR is up.

And Zapdos needs to be physically defensive to handle Talonflame very well (otherwise it gets boned by Flare Blitz). It's also prone to being worn down by SR due to its 2x weakness and U-turn.

Finally, Mega Aerodactyl is shit on by Wisp.
**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Some of the best ways to deal with Talonflame is through sheer physical bulk, as Talonflame is not very powerfull. Physically defensive Gyarados, Slowbro, Zygarde, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Vaporeon, and Krookodile all have excellent physical bulk and are neutral to Talonflame's STABs, and thus can wall it, while slowly wearing it down with its own recoil (and sandstorm in Hippowdon's case), and some of them can even OHKO it back, namely Rock Slide Hippowdon, Gyarados, and Landorus-T. Keep in mind that any of those Pokemon that can't immediately threaten Talonfllame will lose the Bulk Up set with Taunt. Also, U-turn is another thing to keep in mind, as it can wear down many of those Pokemon, especially those weak to it or those that lack recovery, especially when combined with Stealth Rock damage.
Of these, Gyarados, Zygarde, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Krookodile are completely shit on by Wisp. The others, such as Slowbro, Gliscor (which is basically murdered if PH isn't active yet), Mandibuzz, and non-Heal Bell Vaporeon also really hate it. This is very important to mention, as it makes these Pokemon less reliable answers to Talonflame than they might seem.

With these things corrected, QC Approved 3/3.

Jukain

!_!
alexwolf
Overview
########

With access to Gale Wings and STAB Brave Bird, Talonflame is unarguably the best revenge killer in OU are you sure about this statement? one could argue deo-s fulfills this role. It can also be a great cleaner and sweeper, with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or a Choice Band. Furthermore, Talonflame has priority Roost and a good typing whichthat gives it plenty of opportunities to use it, allowing ito to stick around a bit longerthroughout the match and check some common threats, such as Landorus and Mega Venusaur. However, Talonflame's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from switching in and out as much as it would want, and makes teamDefog or spin support a necessity, hampering its effectiveness. Talonflame's weakness to Stealth Rock is also amplified by the fact that both its STABs make it suffer recoil, further decreasing its longevity. Also, Talonflame's unimpressive base 81 Attack and lack of coverage means that it's easy to stop with physically bulky Pokemon or Pokemon that resists its STABs, such as Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon. Finally, Talonflame has weaknesses to the common Water-, Electric-, and Rock-type moveattacks, so OHKOtaking it out is not hard at all.

Choice Band just saying, if sharp beak is slashed, how can you name the set 'choice band'?
########
name: Choice Band
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Flare Blitz
move 3: U-turn
move 4: Tailwind / Roost
ability: Gale Wings
item: Choice Band / Sharp Beak
nature: Adamant
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Moves
========

Brave Bird gets priority and is Talonflame's most useful asset, OHKOing many offensive Pokemon and also allowing Talonflame to clean up weakened teams. Flare Blitz takes care of the Steel-types that resists Brave Bird, and also covers well as some Electric-types, such as Thundurus and Zapdos. U-turn does respectable damage to some of Talonflame's best switch-ins, such as Tyranitar and Rotom-W, and gives switch initiative. Tailwind is the best option onfor the last slot if Talonflame holdswith Choice Band, as it gets priority and allows the rest of Talonflame'scan let team to take downs revenge kill Pokemon that Brave Bird alone can'not, such as Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Manectric. If Talonflame holds Sharp Beak is the item of choice, then Roost is the superior option, allowing itTalonflame to take advantage of its good typing to find more switch -in chancopportunities 'take advantage of its typing to find more switch-in opportunities' doesn't really make sense when you talk about it with roost -- i guess you're trying to say it allows talonflame to switch into attacks more often, as it is harder to wear down -- make some change to indicate this! and stick around for longer.

There are some other, situational moves that can be used on the last slot. Will-O-Wisp provides permanent chip damage to Talonflame's switch-ins and neuters its physically based checks, such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, making ithem easier to wear them down, but being locked into a status move has severe drawbacks, not to mention that often using U-turn as said check or counter comes in is the best course of actionmove. Lastly, Me First allows Talonflame to OHKO Garchomp and Kyurem-B that have just KOed something with a Dragon-type moveattack.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to speed tie opposing Talonflame and OHKO Mega Pinsir before it manages to hit Talonflame with +2 Quick Attack. it also just allows it to outrun 110s, which can be very nice if you want to clean with flare blitz or make going for a u-turn against latis safe or w/e Choice Band is the superior optionitem choice, as Talonflame will mostly be using either Brave Bird or U-turn, but Sharp Beak gives more flexibility and allows Talonflame to use Roost. A Jolly nature with an EV spread 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used, enabllowing Talonflame to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus with Flare Blitz and giving it a bit more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame is first and foremost a revenge killer, and it should be played as such. The moment that dangerous sweepers are spotted on the opposing team that Talonflame can revenge kill, Talonflame should be kept out of harm's way long enough to keep them in check. In general, the moment the battle starts, the Talonflame useryou should identify which Pokemon Talonflame can revenge kill. I; if those Pokemon are not too threatening to Talonflame'syour team, Talonflame can be played more recklessly. Otherwise, it should be kept safe at all costs, unless it means that the game can be won by making the risky play with Talonflameuse is absolutely necessary. In some situations, Talonflame can also end games with Brave Bird, so if one sees a team that can be swept by Talonflame with minimal preparations, it is wise to keep Talonflame healthy until those preparations have been made. Also, U-turn is the best move to spam early-game, as most of Talonflame's checks and counters can get worn down pretty easily by U-turn and Stealth Rock.

something i noticed -- just be direct and say "you" in reference to the trainer! when you say 'one' and use all kinds of wording to avoid the word "you", the writing just sounds clunky, which is never good -- i also did a little fat trimming in this paragraph, feel free to take particular issue if necessary.

Team Options
========

A way to deal with Stealth Rock is the number one concern when using Talonflame. Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best Pokemon at this job, ands all have decent synergy with Talonflame, resisting one or more of its weaknesses and beating some of of its che Pokemon it can'tcks and counters (Mold Breaker Excadrill beats Rotom-W, Heatran, and Tyranitar, while; Latios and Latias beat Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Thundurus), so they are some of the best teammates to have. Next, a good check to Rotom-W and, physical walls, and pivots in general is needed, as those are the most common answers to Talonflame. Mega Venusaur and Kyurem-B can handle all of those, so they are both great partners. Rotom-W and Scizor are excellent users of Volt Switch or U-turn that when pairedhave great synergy with Talonflame and can form a Volt-tTurn cores with great synergy, while also helpfacilitates getting bring Talonflameit in for free with their STAB Volt Switch or U-turn. Stealth Rock support is nice to have, so Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Terrakion are all great partners and some of the best offensive Stealth Rock setters. explain specific reasons/kos or don't mention sr! Finally, Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Pinsir work great alongside Talonflame, as bothey all have similar checks and counters, so Staraptor or Mega Pinsir can weakenallowing them topposing batteam early-game and Talonflame can clean up the remains late-game, or vice-versar down such Pokemon in an attempt to overwhelm.

Bulk Up
########
name: Bulk Up
move 1: Bulk Up
move 2: Brave Bird
move 3: Roost
move 4: Will-O-Wisp / Taunt
item: Leftovers
nature: Careful
evs: 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe

Moves
========

Bulk Up makes Talonflame really difficult to take down and gives it the power to sweep through teams. Brave Bird gets priority and hits hard after a few boosts, enabling Talonflame to bypass faster threats.
Roost allows Talonflame to accumulate multiple boosts in front of Pokemon that can't significantly hurt it and also gets priority, allowing Talonflame to soften the blow from faster Pokemon that use Rock or Electric moves if the need arises. Will-O-Wisp pressures Talonflame's checks and counters by slowly wearing them down, while also limiting the offensive presence of some of those Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T. Taunt prevents the use of phazing moves, entry hazards, and status, from Pokemon such as Hippowdon, Ferrothorn, Deoxys-D, and Heatran, practically allowgranting Talonflame the ability to beat some of its most common checks, namely Hippowdon and Heatran.

Substitute helps Talonflame stall out the PP of Stone Edge users, such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, and also helps stall out Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, allowing sometimes Talonflame to use them as set up bait after successfully removing all the PPs fr, som thetir dangerous moves. Flare Blitz can be used onfor the last slot for a way to deal immediately with threatening Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Excadrill, and Thundurus, but it leaves Talonflame very prone to its usual checks and counters, unlike the other options on the set.

Set Details
========

The set uses enough Speed to outrun Timid Deoxys-D and Taunt it before it can use Thunder Wave or set up entry hazards, while the rest of the EVs go to special bulk, to help Talonflame cover it's weaker special side. If Talonflame is not running Taunt, it can use a simple 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD spread with a Careful nature. didn't notice this before, but maybe this means the main ev spread should be changed ?_?

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent lacks Fire-types, send Talonflame in as early as possible when the game starts, to cripples its checks with Will-O-Wisp as early as possible, and makeing them easier to wear down throughout the course of the game. With Taunt, this set stops many of the universal Talonflame checks, such as Whirlwind Hippowdon and specially defensive Heatran, so use this to your advantage; send out Talonflame when it can threaten everything on the opposing team other than said mons, and as they come in, either grab a second Bulk Up boost as they switch out (realizing they sent in the wrong Pokemon), or Taunt them and then grab a second Bulk Up boost. Also, take advantage of Talonflame's fast Taunt to handicap Pokemon that rely a lot on non-attacking moves, such as Deoxys-D, Defog Mandibuzz, and Hippowdon. Be aware what attacks Talonflame can and can't take ion both sides, so you can decide whether you should stay in and boost more or switch out.

Team Options
========

Anti-Stealth Rock support is a must, even more so than on other sets, as Bulk Up Talonflame likes to switch in and out a lot, to take advantage of its defensive investment coupled with nice typing and Roost to check multiple Pokemon, ability to cripple its checks with Will-O-Wisp, and lack of immediate power which makes straight up walling it easier. Defog Mega Scizor and Defog Skarmory are the most sturdy Pokemon for this job, though more offensive choices such as Latios, Latias, and Excadrill are still good choicescan work depending on the team. All of those Pokemon have at least decent defensive synergy with Talonflame, being able to check or wall some of the Pokemon that Talonflame struggles against, such as Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, Thundurus, and Landorus-T. Mega Venusaur can check most Water and Electric-types that threaten Talonflame, while alsin addition to handling decertaintly physically defensive Pokemon that wall Talonflame, such as Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Choice Band Staratpor can wear down Talonflame's checks and counters so that Talonflameit has an easier time sweeping late-game, making for a great partner. S; the same goes for Mega Pinsir.

Swords Dance
########
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 3: Flare Blitz
move 4: Roost
item: Sharp Beak / Life Orb

Moves
========

With Swords Dance and priority Brave Bird, Talonflame can take the role of a sweeper. Brave Bird is fairly powerful after a boost and OHKOes most offensive Pokemon. Flare Blitz takes care of Steel-types that resist Brave Bird, while Roost gives some use to Talonflame in the early- and mid-game, as it can throw a couple of attacks, recover off the passive damage and the recoil, and set up later to attempt a sweep. Roost also makes Talonflame able to deal with the Pokemon it checks for an extended period of time, such as Scizor, Clefable, Mega Venusaur, and Volcarona.

U-turn can be used on the last slot, as Talonflame fits nicely inonto Volt-tTurn chains, and cafter a boost, U-turn is a good way to wear down Talonflame'certain of its checks and counters, such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Taunt shuts down Hippowdon and defensive Heatran, allowing Talonflame to boost enough to get past them eventuallyand weep.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to speed tie opposing Talonflame and OHKO Mega Pinsir with Brave Bird before it manages to land a Quick Attack. Sharp Beak is the best item option to power up Brave Bird, as after a boost, Flare Blitz has enough power to KO its targets, and with Life Orb, Talonflame will get KOed by recoil really fast. However, Life Orb is useful to get some crucial OHKOes with Brave Bird, namely a 43.8% chance to OHKO Thundurus, a 25% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Excadrill or Sand Rush Excadrill in sand after Stealth Rock, a 50% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Rotom-W after Stealth Rock, and a 75% chance to OHKO specially defensive Hippowdon after one layer of Spikes. Life Orb also gives to Talonflame more immediate power, which is useful for revenge killing purposes. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used, if Thundurus is particularly problematic, allowings it lets Talonflame to outspeed Thundurus and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be very flexible in terms of playstyle. It can take the role of an all -out attacker, revenge killer, pivot, hole puncher, and late-game cleaner, so; choose what it is more appropriate for after seeing your opponent's team. As long as there are hard counters to Talonflame, it's better to double switch out or heal with Roost. Also, if you want to clean up with Talonflame, make sure you have enough health to do so, as many teams rely on recoil damage to check Talonflame. that is kind of a poor way to handle the bird -- you're screwed if that's all you can do against talonflame -- valid point on the health, but 'many teams' would be shitty if this was the case

Team Options
========

As usually, Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best partners to Talonflame, as they are effective at getting rid of Stealth Rock, have good offensive presence, and cover Talonflame's weaknesses. Strong physical wallbreakers to weaken down the physically bulky Pokemon that Talonflame can't OHKO, such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T, work well with Talonflame. Such Pokemon arinclude Swords Dance Garchomp, Choice Band Terrakion, and Swords Dance Aegislash, with Garchomp also being able to set up Stealth Rock, further assisting Talonflame. Rotom-W can deal with most physical walls orand tanks that check Talonflame, while also being ablein addition to bringing Talonflame in unharmed with Volt Switch, making for a very effective teammate. Lastly, Staraptor forms a very effective offensive core with Talonflame, as both Pokemon have similar checks and counters, so either of them can weaken the opposing team so that the other one can clean up later. If Staraptor holds Choice Band, Staraptor is usually the one who weakens the opposing team and Talonflame the one who sweeps, while if Staraptor holds Choice Scarf the opposite happens. Mega Pinsir wears down Talonflame's checks and counters in a similar fashion, so it's another good teammate for Talonflameit.

Other Options
########

A set with Brave Bird, Roost, Taunt, and Will-O-Wisp can be used, which allows Talonflame to stallbreak, revenge kill, and cripple some of its counters all in one set,; however, it excels in none of those roles and loses out on a lot of power, making revenge killing with Brave Bird a lot hardermuch more difficult. Natural Gift with Salac or Liechi Berry can be used on the Swords Dance set; Salac Berry gives Talonflame a 100 BP Fighting move, which it can use to get past Tyranitar and Heatran, while Liechi Berry gives it a 100 BP Grass move, which it can use to get past Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Finally, a mixed set with max Special Attack, Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Ice or Ground can be used, allowing Talonflame to get past some of its usualt checks and counters such as Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Heatran, and to avoid recoil when using its Fire STAB.quagsire? i can't believe i missed this; i just talked to a bunch of qc members, there is no way this is getting an oo mention

Checks & Counters
########

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Some of the best ways to deal with Talonflame is through sheer physical bulk, as Talonflame is not very powerfull. Physically defensive Gyarados, Slowbro, Zygarde, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Vaporeon, and Krookodile all have excellent physical bulk and are neutral to Talonflame's STABs, and thus can wall it, while slowly wearing it down with its own recoil (and sandstorm in Hippowdon's case), and some of them can even OHKO it back, namely Rock Slide Hippowdon, Gyarados, and Landorus-T. Keep in mind that any of those Pokemon that can't immediately threaten Talonfllame will to lose the Bulk Up set with Taunt, and some of them are heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp, a common move on the Bulk Up set. Basically, any physical attacker or Pokemon that lack reliable recovery are very prone to getting worn down if Talonflame has Will-O-Wisp. Also, U-turn is another thing to keep in mind, as it can wear down many of those Pokemon, especially those weak to it or those that lack recovery, especially when combined with Stealth Rock damage.

**Pokemon that resist Talonflame's STABs**: Almost every Pokemon that resists Talonflame's STABs and has passable physical bulk is at least a good check to it, with the exception of Thundurus, which can't switch into Talonflame at all but can revenge kill it, as it can take even one Choice Band-boosted Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage and OHKO back. Such Pokemon are Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Heatran, Rotom-H, Zapdos, Zapdos, and Mega Aerodactyl, with Rotom-W and specially defensive Heatran straight up countering most of Talonflame's sets. However, Heatran loses to the Bulk up set with Taunt and might fail to beat the Swords Dance set too, but it can carry a Rock move to beat those sets. Also, while Zapdos doesn't resist Talonflame's Fire STAB, it can still avoid the 2HKO from it without Stealth Rock up thanks to its good bulk, so it makes for a good check as long as Stealth Rock is off the field. Out of all the Tyranitar sets, only the tank set can repeatedly switch into Talonflame, as all other variants are worn down very fast by U-turn, and if it lacks a rRock-type move it loses to the Bulk Up set, while getting crippled heavily by Will-O-Wisp from Bulk Up sets. Keep in mind that even though Choice Band Tyranitar can't switch into Talonflame easily in fear of U-turn, it can easily Pursuit trap it after Talonflame KOes something with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. In general, any Pokemon that is weak to U-turn or lacks reliable recovery might fail to deal with Talonflame after repeated U-turn hits, and any physical attacker is heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp.

**Passive Damage**: Stealth Rock is Talonflame's biggest enemy. As long as you manage to keep Stealth Rock on the field, you have managed to keep Talonflame in check. Alsodditionally, because both of Talonflame's STABs induce recoil, forcing Talonflame to KO or weaken itself is another way to deal with it. The best way to this is with Rocky Helmet Garchomp, which not only has a bbetween a high HP stat to cause Talonflame a lot of recoil from Brave Bird and Flare Blitz, it also has Rough Skin, and Rocky Helmet to stack 29% more dcauses Talonflamage onto take topns of thisrecoil. The fact that Garchomp has enough bulk to take a couple of hits from Talonflame helps too. Ferrothorn, especially with Rocky Helmet, is another Pokemon that can almost KO Talonflame through passive damage alone, but unfortunatelythough it must sacrifice itself to do so.

was kinda sleepy during this check so sry if anything is not adequately commented or smth

GP Approved 1/2

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
jukain said:
are you sure about this statement? one could argue deo-s fulfills this role.
The sheer amount of Pokemon that Talonflame can revenge kill can't be reached by Deoxys-S. Some threats that Talonflame can OHKO or revenge kill if they are weakened and Deoxys-S can't are: Belly Drum Azumarill, Bisharp, Mega Pinsir, Swords Dance (Mega) Scizor, Sand Rush Excadrill, Swords Dance Aegislash (after it has gotten a kill, so it will be in Sword Forme), Deoxys-S itself, Mega Mawile, Choice Scarf Terrakion, Scolipede, and Swords Dance Diggersby.

Changed the name of the first to revenge killer, couldn't find anything better.

'take advantage of its typing to find more switch-in opportunities' doesn't really make sense when you talk about it with roost -- i guess you're trying to say it allows talonflame to switch into attacks more often, as it is harder to wear down -- make some change to indicate this!
Added a sentence to make it more clear.

I also changed the EV spread of the BU set to max HP / max SpD, as Taunt is no longer the first slash, and i moved the other spread to Set Details.

that is kind of a poor way to handle the bird -- you're screwed if that's all you can do against talonflame -- valid point on the health, but 'many teams' would be shitty if this was the case
Fixed the wording.

quagsire? i can't believe i missed this; i just talked to a bunch of qc members, there is no way this is getting an oo mention
What has Quagsire to do with the mixed set getting removed? Also, any reason that this set doesn't even deserve an OO mention? Mixed Talonflame isn't completely unviable from my experience, as Fire Blast catches by surprise a lot of Talonflame's usual switch-ins, such as Landorus-T and Hippowdon, while HP Ground acts as a good lure to Heatran.

Anything else has been added, thanks for the check Jukain!

One more to go.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
As requested on IRC, I've started to GP this analysis. However, spring break has ended and I'm incredibly busy this week (huge tests tomorrow and the day after that), so I'd be very grateful if someone could finish this later. I'm marking where I am with HERE, so after this block ends, it'd definitely be appreciated if someone could pick up this GP check. I'm just changing the text itself, so place this in the Diff! program to see the changes I've made (there aren't too many). Or if you don't mind too much, I'll finish this when I can.

Gonna incorporate the grammatical changes that I agree with from the below amcheck - though in regards to the content changes, someone else will need to look at that (I don't play OU).

Overview
########

With access to Gale Wings and STAB Brave Bird, Talonflame is unarguably the best revenge killer in OU. It can also function as a great cleaner or sweeper, with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or a Choice Band. Furthermore, Talonflame has priority Roost and a good typing that gives it plenty of opportunities to use the move, allowing it to stick around throughout the match and check some common threats, such as Landorus and Mega Venusaur. However, Talonflame's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from switching in and out as much as it would want and makes Defog or Rapid Spin support a necessity, hampering its effectiveness. Talonflame's weakness to Stealth Rock is amplified by the fact that both its STABs make it suffer recoil damage, further decreasing its longevity. Also, Talonflame's unimpressive base 81 Attack and lack of coverage moves mean that it's easy to stop with physically bulky Pokemon or Pokemon that resists its STABs, such as Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon. Finally, Talonflame has weaknesses to common Water-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks, so taking it out is not hard at all.

Revenge Killer
########
name: Revenge Killer

Moves
========

Brave Bird gets priority and is Talonflame's most useful asset, OHKOing many offensive Pokemon and allowing Talonflame to clean up weakened teams. Flare Blitz takes care of the Steel-types that resist Brave Bird as well as some Electric-types, such as Thundurus and Zapdos. U-turn does respectable damage to some of Talonflame's best switch-ins, such as Tyranitar and Rotom-W, and gives switch initiative. With Choice Band, Tailwind is the best option for the last slot, as it gets priority and can let teams revenge kill Pokemon that Brave Bird alone can not, such as Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Manectric. If Sharp Beak is the item of choice, then Roost is the superior option, allowing Talonflame to find more switch-in opportunities and stick around for longer, by being able to heal damage taken from resisted attacks, such as Scizor's U-turn and Clefable's Moonblast.

There are some other situational moves that can be used on the last slot. Will-O-Wisp provides permanent chip damage to Talonflame's switch-ins and neuters its physically based checks, such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, making them easier to wear down. However, being locked into a status move has severe drawbacks, not to mention that using U-turn as said check or counter comes in is often the best course of action. Lastly, Me First allows Talonflame to OHKO Garchomp and Kyurem-B that have just obtained a KO with a Dragon-type attack.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used for Talonflame to Speed tie with opposing Talonflame, OHKO Mega Pinsir before it manages to hit Talonflame with +2 Quick Attack, and outspeed positive natured base 110s, such as Latios and Latias, so that Talonflame can OHKO them with U-turn if possible. Choice Band is the superior item as Talonflame will mostly be using either Brave Bird or U-turn, but Sharp Beak gives more flexibility and allows Talonflame to use Roost. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used, enabling Talonflame to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus with Flare Blitz and giving it a bit more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame is first and foremost a revenge killer, and should be played as such. The moment the battle starts, you should identify which Pokemon Talonflame can revenge kill; if those Pokemon are not too threatening to your team, then Talonflame can be played more recklessly. Otherwise, it should be kept safe at all costs, unless its use is absolutely necessary. In some situations, Talonflame can also end games with Brave Bird, so if one sees a team that can be swept by Talonflame with minimal preparations, it is wise to keep Talonflame healthy until those preparations have been made. Also, U-turn is the best move to spam early-game, as most of Talonflame's checks and counters can get worn down pretty easily by U-turn and Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

A way to deal with Stealth Rock is the number one concern when using Talonflame. Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best Pokemon for this job, as all have decent synergy with Talonflame, resisting one or more of its weaknesses and beating some of its checks and counters (Mold Breaker Excadrill beats Rotom-W, Heatran, and Tyranitar; Latios and Latias beat Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Thundurus). Next, a good check to Rotom-W and physical walls/pivots in general is needed, as they are the most common answers to Talonflame. Mega Venusaur and Kyurem-B can handle all of those, so they are both great partners. Rotom-W and Scizor have great synergy with Talonflame and can form a VoltTurn core that facilitates getting in for free. Stealth Rock support is nice to have, as it enables Talonflame to OHKO certain targets. For example, with Choice Band and Stealth Rock up, Brave Bird can OHKO Latias and Landorus, and 2HKO Mandibuzz and max HP Zapdos. Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Terrakion are all great partners and some of the best offensive Stealth Rock setters. Finally, Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Pinsir work great alongside Talonflame, as they all have similar checks and counters, allowing them to batter down such Pokemon in an attempt to overwhelm and possibly sweep.

Bulk Up
########
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD

Moves
========

Bulk Up makes Talonflame really difficult to take down and gives it the power it needs to sweep through teams. Brave Bird gets priority and hits hard after a few boosts, enabling Talonflame to bypass faster threats. Roost allows Talonflame to accumulate multiple boosts in front of Pokemon that can't significantly hurt it and gets priority, allowing Talonflame to soften the blow from faster Pokemon that use Rock- or Electric-type moves if the need arises. Will-O-Wisp pressures Talonflame's checks and counters by slowly wearing them down, while also limiting the offensive presence of some of those Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T. Taunt prevents the use of phazing moves, entry hazards, and status moves, granting Talonflame the ability to beat some of its most common checks, namely Hippowdon and Heatran.

Substitute helps Talonflame stall out the PP of Stone Edge from Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, and Hydro Pump from Rotom-W, allowing it to use them as setup bait sometimes. Flare Blitz can be used in the last slot for a way to immediately deal with Thundurus and threatening Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Excadrill, but leaves Talonflame very prone to its usual checks and counters, unlike the other options for the last slot.

Set Details
========

Talonflame's special bulk is maximized to help it take hits on its weaker side, as Bulk Up patches up its Defense. If using Taunt, a spread of 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe with a Careful nature can be used, letting Talonflame outrun Timid Deoxys-D and Taunt it before it can use Thunder Wave or set up entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent does not have any Fire-type Pokemon, send Talonflame in as early as possible to cripple its checks with Will-O-Wisp, making them easier to wear down throughout the course of the game. With Taunt, this set stops many of the universal Talonflame checks, such as Whirlwind Hippowdon and specially defensive Heatran, so use this to your advantage. Send out Talonflame when it can threaten every Pokemon on the opposing team other than said check, and as they come in, either grab a second Bulk Up boost as they switch out (realizing they sent in the wrong Pokemon), or Taunt them and then grab a second Bulk Up boost. Also, take advantage of Talonflame's fast Taunt to handicap Pokemon that rely a lot on non-attacking moves, such as Deoxys-D, Defog Mandibuzz, and Hippowdon. Be aware of what attacks Talonflame can and cannot take so that you can decide whether to keep it in and boost more or switch out.

Team Options
========

Anti-Stealth Rock support is a must, even more so than with other sets. This is because Bulk Up Talonflame likes to switch in and out to take advantage of its defensive investment, nice typing, and Roost, in order to check multiple Pokemon and cripple its own checks with Will-O-Wisp. Additionally, Talonflame's lack of immediate power makes straight up walling it easier. Mega Scizor and Skarmory with Defog are the most sturdy Pokemon for this job, though more offensive choices such as Latios, Latias, and Excadrill can work depending on the team. All of these Pokemon have decent defensive synergy with Talonflame, being able to check or wall some of the Pokemon that Talonflame struggles against, such as Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, Thundurus, and Landorus-T. Mega Venusaur can check most of the Water- and Electric-types that threaten Talonflame, in addition to handling certain physically defensive Pokemon that wall Talonflame, such as Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Choice Band Staraptor can wear down Talonflame's checks and counters so that it has an easier time sweeping late-game, making for a great partner; the same goes for Mega Pinsir.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

With Swords Dance and priority Brave Bird, Talonflame can take the role of a sweeper. Brave Bird is fairly powerful after a boost and OHKOes most offensive Pokemon. Flare Blitz takes care of Steel-types, while Roost gives some use to Talonflame in the early- and mid-game, as it can throw a couple of attacks, recover off recoil and passive damage, and set up later to attempt a sweep. Roost grants Talonflame the ability to deal with the Pokemon it checks, such as Scizor, Clefable, Mega Venusaur, and Volcarona, for an extended period of time.

U-turn can be used on the last slot, as Talonflame fits nicely onto VoltTurn chains and can wear down some of its checks and counters, such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Taunt shuts down Hippowdon and defensive Heatran, allowing Talonflame to boost enough to get past them and sweep.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to Speed tie with opposing Talonflame and OHKO Mega Pinsir with Brave Bird before it can strike with Quick Attack. Sharp Beak is the best item option to power up Brave Bird, as after a boost, Flare Blitz has enough power to KO its targets. It's also the superior item because Life Orb Talonflame is quickly KOed due to recoil damage reducing its longevity. However, Life Orb is useful to get some crucial OHKOs with Brave Bird, namely a 43.8% chance to OHKO Thundurus, a 25% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Excadrill and Sand Rush Excadrill in sand after Stealth Rock, a 50% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Rotom-W after Stealth Rock, and a 75% chance to OHKO specially defensive Hippowdon after one layer of Spikes. Life Orb also gives Talonflame more immediate power, which is useful for revenge killing purposes. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used if Thundurus is particularly problematic, as Talonflame can then outspeed and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be very flexible in terms of how it is played. It can take the role of an all-out attacker, revenge killer, pivot, hole puncher, or late-game cleaner; choose what is appropriate after seeing your opponent's team. As long as there are hard counters to Talonflame still healthy, it's best to double switch out or heal with Roost. Also, if you want to clean with Talonflame, make sure that it has enough health to do so, as many teams rely on recoil damage to beat Talonflame if their checks and counters to it are weakened.

Team Options
========

Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best partners to Talonflame, as they are effective at getting rid of Stealth Rock, have good offensive presence, and cover Talonflame's weaknesses. Strong physical wallbreakers to weaken the physically bulky Pokemon that Talonflame can't OHKO, such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T, work well with Talonflame. Such Pokemon include Swords Dance Garchomp, Choice Band Terrakion, and Swords Dance Aegislash, with Garchomp also able to set up Stealth Rock. Rotom-W can deal with most physical walls and tanks that check Talonflame as well as bring it in unharmed with Volt Switch, making for a very effective teammate. Staraptor forms a very effective offensive core with Talonflame, as both Pokemon have similar checks and counters, so either of them can weaken the opposing team so that the other one can clean up later. If Staraptor holds Choice Band, it is usually the one that weakens the opposing team and Talonflame the one that sweeps, while if Staraptor is the Pokemon that holds Choice Scarf, the opposite happens. Mega Pinsir wears down Talonflame's checks and counters in a similar fashion, so it's another good teammate.

Other Options
########

A set with Brave Bird, Roost, Taunt, and Will-O-Wisp can be used, allowing Talonflame to stallbreak, revenge kill, and cripple some of its counters all in one set; however, it excels at none of those roles and loses out on a lot of power, making revenge killing with Brave Bird much more difficult. Natural Gift along with Salac or Liechi Berry can be used on the Swords Dance set. Salac Berry gives Talonflame a 100 Base Power Fighting-type move, which it can use to get past Tyranitar and Heatran, while Liechi Berry gives it a 100 Base Power Grass-type move, which it can use to get past Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Finally, a mixed set with max Special Attack, Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Ice or Ground can be used, allowing Talonflame to get past some of its usual checks and counters such as Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Heatran, and avoid recoil when using its Fire-type STAB move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Pokemon with sheer physical bulk are some of the best checks and counters to Talonflame, as it is not very powerful. Physically defensive Gyarados, Slowbro, Zygarde, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Vaporeon, and Krookodile all have excellent physical bulk and take neutral damage from Talonflame's STAB moves, and thus can wall it while Talonflame wears itself out through recoil damage (and takes damage from sandstorm in Hippowdon's case). Some of them can even OHKO it, namely Rock Slide Hippowdon, Gyarados, and Landorus-T. Keep in mind that any of these Pokemon that do not pose an immediate threat will lose to Bulk Up Talonflame with Taunt, and some of them are heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp, a common move on the Bulk Up set. Basically, any physical attacker or Pokemon that lacks reliable recovery is very prone to getting worn down if Talonflame has Will-O-Wisp. Also, U-turn is another thing to keep in mind, as when combined with Stealth Rock damage, the move can wear down many of these Pokemon, especially those that are weak to it or lack recovery.

**Pokemon that resist Talonflame's STABs**: Almost every Pokemon that resists Talonflame's STAB moves and has passable physical bulk is at least a good check to it. An exception is Thundurus, which can't switch into Talonflame at all, but can take one Choice Band-boosted Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage and OHKO it. Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Heatran, Rotom-H, Zapdos, and Mega Aerodactyl fall into this category, with Rotom-W and specially defensive Heatran straight up countering most of Talonflame's sets. However, Heatran loses to Bulk Up Talonflame with Taunt and might fail to beat Swords Dance variants, but it can carry a Rock-type move to beat them. Also, while Zapdos does not resist Flare Blitz, it can avoid a 2HKO thanks to its good bulk as long as Stealth Rock is not on its side of the field and Talonflame isn't holding a Choice Band. Out of all the Tyranitar sets, only the tank set can repeatedly switch into Talonflame, as all other variants are worn down quickly by U-turn. If Tyranitar lacks a Rock-type attack, it will lose to the Bulk Up set, and will be crippled heavily by Will-O-Wisp. Although Choice Band Tyranitar cannot switch into Talonflame easily in fear of U-turn, Tyranitar can easily Pursuit trap it after it KOes something with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. In general, any Pokemon that is weak to U-turn or lacks reliable recovery might fail to deal with Talonflame after repeated U-turn hits, and physical attackers are heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp.

**Passive Damage**: Stealth Rock is Talonflame's biggest enemy. As long as you manage to keep Stealth Rock on the field, you have managed to keep Talonflame in check. Additionally, because both of Talonflame's STAB moves induce recoil damage, forcing Talonflame to KO or weaken itself is another way to deal with it. The best way to do this is with Rocky Helmet Garchomp, which between a high HP stat, Rough Skin, and its item, causes Talonflame to take tons of recoil damage when it attacks. The fact that Garchomp has enough bulk to take a couple of hits from Talonflame helps too. Ferrothorn, especially with Rocky Helmet, is another Pokemon that can almost KO Talonflame through passive damage alone, though it must sacrifice itself to do so.

Overview
########

With access to Gale Wings and STAB Brave Bird, Talonflame is unarguably the best revenge killer in OU. It can also befunction as a great cleaner andor sweeper, with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or a Choice Band. Furthermore, Talonflame has priority Roost and a good typing that gives it plenty of opportunities to use ithe move, allowing it to stick around throughout the match and check some common threats, such as Landorus and Mega Venusaur. However, Talonflame's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from switching in and out as much as it would want, and makes Defog or Rapid Spin support a necessity, hampering its effectiveness. Talonflame's weakness to Stealth Rock is amplified by the fact that both its STABs make it suffer recoil damage, further decreasing its longevity. Also, Talonflame's unimpressive base 81 Attack and lack of coverage moves means that it's easy to stop with physically bulky Pokemon or Pokemon that resists its STABs, such as Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon. Finally, Talonflame has weaknesses to the common Water-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks, so taking it out is not hard at all.

Revenge Killer
########

Moves
========

Brave Bird gets priority and is Talonflame's most useful asset, OHKOing many offensive Pokemon and also allowing Talonflame to clean up weakened teams. Flare Blitz takes care of the Steel-types that resists Brave Bird, as well as some Electric-types, such as Thundurus and Zapdos. U-turn does respectable damage to some of Talonflame's best switch-ins, such as Tyranitar and Rotom-W, and gives switch initiative. With Choice Band, Tailwind is the best option for the last slot with Choice Band, as it gets priority and can let teams revenge kill Pokemon that Brave Bird alone can not, such as Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Manectric. If Sharp Beak is the item of choice, then Roost is the superior option, allowing Talonflame to take advantage of its typing to find more switch-in opportunities and stick around for longer, by being able to heal damage taken from resisted attacks, such as Scizor's U-turn orand Clefable's Moonblast.

There are some other situational moves that can be used on the last slot. Will-O-Wisp provides permanent chip damage to Talonflame's switch-ins and neuters its physically based checks, such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, making them easier to wear down. However, but being locked into a status move has severe drawbacks, not to mention that often using U-turn as said check or counter comes in is often the best movecourse of action. Lastly, Me First allows Talonflame to OHKO Garchomp and Kyurem-B that have just KOed somethingobtained a KO with a Dragon-type attack.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used for Talonflame to sSpeed tie with opposing Talonflame and, OHKO Mega Pinsir before it manages to hit Talonflame with +2 Quick Attack, and also lets Talonflame outspeed positive natured base 110s, such as Latios and Latias, so that youTalonflame can OHKO them with U-turn if possible. Choice Band is the superior item choice as Talonflame will mostly be using either Brave Bird or U-turn, but Sharp Beak gives more flexibility and allows Talonflame to use Roost. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used, enabling Talonflame to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus with Flare Blitz and giving it a bit more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame is first and foremost a revenge killer, and should be played as such. The moment the battle starts, you should identify which Pokemon Talonflame can revenge kill; if those Pokemon are not too threatening to your team, team,hen Talonflame can be played more recklessly. Otherwise, it should be kept safe at all costs, unless its use is absolutely necessary. In some situations, Talonflame can also end games with Brave Bird, so if one sees a team that can be swept by Talonflame with minimal preparations, it is wise to keep Talonflame healthy until those preparations have been made. Also, U-turn is the best move to spam early-game, as most of Talonflame's checks and counters can get worn down pretty easily by U-turn and Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

A way to deal with Stealth Rock is the number one concern when using Talonflame. Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best Pokemon atfor this job, as all have decent synergy with Talonflame, resisting one or more of its weaknesses and beating some of its checks and counters (Mold Breaker Excadrill beats Rotom-W, Heatran, and Tyranitar; Latios and Latias beat Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Thundurus), so they are some of the best teammates to have. Next, a good check to Rotom-W and physical walls / pivots in general is needed, as thosey are the most common answers to Talonflame. Mega Venusaur and Kyurem-B can handle all of those, so they are both great partners. Rotom-W and Scizor have great synergy with Talonflame and can form a Volt-tTurn core that facilitates getting itn for free. Stealth Rock support is nice to have, as it enables Talonflame to OHKO certain targets. For example, with Choice Band and Stealth Rock up, Brave Bird can OHKO Latias and Landorus, and 2HKO Mandibuzz and max HP Zapdos. Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Terrakion are all great partners and some of the best offensive Stealth Rock setters. Finally, Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Pinsir work great alongside Talonflame, as they all have similar checks and counters, allowing them to batter down such Pokemon in an attempt to overwhelm and possibly sweep.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

Bulk Up makes Talonflame really difficult to take down and gives it the power it needs to sweep through teams. Brave Bird gets priority and hits hard after a few boosts, enabling Talonflame to bypass faster threats.
Roost allows Talonflame to accumulate multiple boosts in front of Pokemon that can't significantly hurt it and also gets priority, allowing Talonflame to soften the blow from faster Pokemon that use Rock- or Electric-type moves if the need arises. Will-O-Wisp pressures Talonflame's checks and counters by slowly wearing them down, while also limiting the offensive presence of some of those Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T. Taunt prevents the use of phazing moves, entry hazards, and status moves, granting Talonflame the ability to beat some of its most common checks, namely Hippowdon and Heatran.

Substitute helps Talonflame stall out the PP of Stone Edge users,from Pokemon such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, and Rotom-W's Hydro Pump from Rotom-W, allowing Talonflameit to use them as set up bait, sometimes. Flare Blitz can be used forin the last slot for a way to deal immediately deal with Thundurus and threatening Steel-types, such as Aegislash and Excadrill, and Thundurus, but leaves Talonflame very prone to its usual checks and counters, unlike the other options onfor the last slot.

Set Details
========

STalonflame's special bulk is maximized to help Talonflameit take hits on its weaker side, as Bulk Up patches up its physical sidDefense. If using Taunt, a spread of 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe with a Careful nature can be used, letting Talonflame outrun Timid Deoxys-D and Taunt it before it can use Thunder Wave or set up entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent lacksdoes not have any Fire-types Pokemon, send Talonflame in as early as possible when the game starts to cripple its checks with Will-O-Wisp, making them easier to wear down throughout the course of the game. With Taunt, this set stops many of the universal Talonflame checks, such as Whirlwind Hippowdon and specially defensive Heatran, so use this to your advantage; s. Send out Talonflame when it can threaten everything Pokemon on the opposing team other than said monscheck, and as they come in, either grab a second Bulk Up boost as they switch out (realizing they sent in the wrong Pokemon), or Taunt them and then grab a second Bulk Up boost. Also, take advantage of Talonflame's fast Taunt to handicap Pokemon that rely a lot on non-attacking moves, such as Deoxys-D, Defog Mandibuzz, and Hippowdon. Be aware of what attacks Talonflame can and can'not take in both sides, soso that you can decide whether you should stayto keep it in and boost more or switch out.

Team Options
========

Anti-Stealth Rock support is a must, even more so than onwith other sets, as. This is because Bulk Up Talonflame likes to switch in and out a lot to take advantage of its defensive investment coupled with its, nice typing, and Roost, in order to check multiple Pokemon, ability tond cripple its own checks with Will-O-Wisp. Additionally, andTalonflame's lack of immediate power which makes straight up walling it easier. Defog Mega Scizor and Skarmory with Defog are the most sturdy Pokemon for this job, though more offensive choices such as Latios, Latias, and Excadrill can work depending on the team. All of thoese Pokemon have at least decent defensive synergy with Talonflame, being able to check or wall some of the Pokemon that Talonflame struggles against, such as Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, Thundurus, and Landorus-T. Mega Venusaur can check most of the Water- and Electric-types that threaten Talonflame, in addition to handling certain physically defensive Pokemon that wall Talonflame, such as Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Choice Band Staraptor can wear down Talonflame's checks and counters so that it has an easier time sweeping late-game, making for a great partner; the same goes for Mega Pinsir.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

With Swords Dance and priority Brave Bird, Talonflame can take the role of a sweeper. Brave Bird is fairly powerful after a boost and OHKOes most offensive Pokemon. Flare Blitz takes care of Steel-types, while Roost gives some use to Talonflame in the early- and mid-game, as it can throw a couple of attacks, recover off therecoil and passive damage and recoil, and set up later to attempt a sweep. Roost also makegrants Talonflame the ableility to deal with the Pokemon it checks for an extended period of time, such as Scizor, Clefable, Mega Venusaur, and Volcarona, for an extended period of time.

U-turn can be used on the last slot, as Talonflame fits nicely onto Volt-Turn chains, and can wear down certainsome of its checks and counters, such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Taunt shuts down Hippowdon and defensive Heatran, allowing Talonflame to boost enough to get past them and sweep.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to sSpeed tie with opposing Talonflame and OHKO Mega Pinsir with Brave Bird before it manages to land acan strike with Quick Attack. Sharp Beak is the best item option to power up Brave Bird, as after a boost, Flare Blitz has enough power to KO its targets, and wi. It's also the superior item because Life Orb Talonflame will getis quickly KOed bydue to recoil damage really fastducing its longevity. However, Life Orb is useful to get some crucial OHKOes with Brave Bird, namely a 43.8% chance to OHKO Thundurus, a 25% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Excadrill orand Sand Rush Excadrill in sand after Stealth Rock, a 50% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Rotom-W after Stealth Rock, and a 75% chance to OHKO specially defensive Hippowdon after one layer of Spikes. Life Orb also gives to Talonflame more immediate power, which is useful for revenge killing purposes. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used if Thundurus is particularly problematic, as it lets Talonflame can then outspeed and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be very flexible in terms of how it is playstyled. It can take the role of an all-out attacker, revenge killer, pivot, hole puncher, andor late-game cleaner; choose what it is more appropriate for after seeing your opponent's team. As long as there are hard counters to Talonflame still healthy, it's bestter to double switch out or heal with Roost. Also, if you want to clean up with Talonflame, make sure youthat it haves enough health to do so, as many teams rely on recoil damage to checkbeat Talonflame if their checks and counters to it are weakened.

Team Options
========

As usual, Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best partners to Talonflame, as they are effective at getting rid of Stealth Rock, have good offensive presence, and cover Talonflame's weaknesses. Strong physical wallbreakers to weaken down the physically bulky Pokemon that Talonflame can't OHKO, such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T, work well with Talonflame. Such Pokemon include Swords Dance Garchomp, Choice Band Terrakion, and Swords Dance Aegislash, with Garchomp also being able to set up Stealth Rock, further assisting Talonflame. Rotom-W can deal with most physical walls and tanks that check Talonflame, in addition to as well as bringing Talonflame it in unharmed with Volt Switch, making for a very effective teammate. Staraptor forms a very effective offensive core with Talonflame, as both Pokemon have similar checks and counters, so either of them can weaken the opposing team so that the other one can clean up later. If Staraptor holds Choice Band, Staraptorit is usually the one whothat weakens the opposing team and Talonflame the one whothat sweeps, while if Staraptor is the Pokemon that holds Choice Scarf, the opposite happens. Mega Pinsir wears down Talonflame's checks and counters in a similar fashion, so it's another good teammate for it.

Other Options
########

A set with Brave Bird, Roost, Taunt, and Will-O-Wisp can be used, which allowsing Talonflame to stallbreak, revenge kill, and cripple some of its counters all in one set; however, it excels inat none of those roles and loses out on a lot of power, making revenge killing with Brave Bird much more difficult. Natural Gift along with Salac or Liechi Berry can be used on the Swords Dance set;. Salac Berry gives Talonflame a 100 Base Power Fighting-type move, which it can use to get past Tyranitar and Heatran, while Liechi Berry gives it a 100 Base Power Grass-type move, which it can use to get past Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Finally, a mixed set with max Special Attack, Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Ice or Ground can be used, allowing Talonflame to get past some of its usual checks and counters such as Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Heatran, and to avoid recoil when using its Fire-type STAB move.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Some of the best ways to dePokemon with sheer physical with Talonflabulk are some isof through sheer physical bulk, ae best checks and counters to Talonflame, as it is not very powerfull. Physically defensive Gyarados, Slowbro, Zygarde, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Vaporeon, and Krookodile all have excellent physical bulk and artake neutral todamage from Talonflame's STAB moves, and thus can wall it, while slowlyTalonflame wearings it down wiself out through recoil damage (and takes own recoil (anddamage from sandstorm in Hippowdon's case), and s. Some of them can even OHKO it back, namely Rock Slide Hippowdon, Gyarados, and Landorus-T. Keep in mind that any of thoese Pokemon that cdo not pose an't immediately threaten Talonflame will lose to the Bulk Up setTalonflame with Taunt, and some of them are heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp, a common move on the Bulk Up set. Basically, any physical attacker or Pokemon that lacks reliable recovery areis very prone to getting worn down if Talonflame has Will-O-Wisp. Also, U-turn is another thing to keep in mind, as when combined with Stealth Rock damage, the move can wear down many of thoese Pokemon, especially those that are weak to it or those that lack recovery, especially when combined with Stealth Rock damage.

**Pokemon that resist Talonflame's STABs**: Almost every Pokemon that resists Talonflame's STAB moves and has passable physical bulk is at least a good check to it, with the. An exception ofis Thundurus, which can't switch into Talonflame at all, but can revenge kill it, as it can take even one Choice Band-boosted Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage and OHKO back. Suchit. Pokemon such ares Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Heatran, Rotom-H, Zapdos, and Mega Aerodactyl fall into this category, with Rotom-W and specially defensive Heatran straight up countering most of Talonflame's sets. However, Heatran loses to the Bulk up setUp Talonflame with Taunt and might fail to beat the Swords Dance set toovariants, but it can carry a Rock-type move to beat those setsem. Also, while Zapdos doesn' not resist TalonfFlame's Fire STABlitz, it can still avoid thea 2HKO from it without Stealth Rock upthanks to its good bulk as long as Talonflame isn't holding a Choice Band, thankStealth Rock is not on its good bulk, so it makes for a good check as side of the field and Talong as Stealth Rockflame is off the fieln't holding a Choice Band. Out of all the Tyranitar sets, only the tank set can repeatedly switch into Talonflame, as all other variants are worn down very fastquickly by U-turn, and i. If Tyranitar lacks a Rock-type attack, it will loses to the Bulk Up set, and while gettingl be crippled heavily by Will-O-Wisp from Bulk Up sets. Keep in mind that even Although Choice Band Tyranitar can'not switch into Talonflame easily in fear of U-turn, Tyranitar can easily Pursuit trap it after Talonflameit KOes something with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. In general, any Pokemon that is weak to U-turn or lacks reliable recovery might fail to deal with Talonflame after repeated U-turn hits, and any physical attacker is are heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp.

**Passive Damage**: Stealth Rock is Talonflame's biggest enemy. As long as you manage to keep Stealth Rock on the field, you have managed to keep Talonflame in check. Additionally, because both of Talonflame's STAB moves induce recoil damage, forcing Talonflame to KO or weaken itself is another way to deal with it. The best way to do this is with Rocky Helmet Garchomp, which between a high HP stat, Rough Skin, and Rocky Helmetits item, causes Talonflame to take tons of recoil damage when it attacks. The fact that Garchomp has enough bulk to take a couple of hits from Talonflame helps too. Ferrothorn, especially with Rocky Helmet, is another Pokemon that can almost KO Talonflame through passive damage alone, though it must sacrifice itself to do so.

GP 2/2

Last edited:
Picking up from where @blitzefan left of.

remove
add
(comments)

Overview
########

With access to Gale Wings and STAB Brave Bird, Talonflame is unarguably the best revenge killer in OU. It can also be function as a great cleaner and or sweeper, with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or a Choice Band. Furthermore, Talonflame has priority Roost and a good typing that gives it plenty of opportunities to use it the move, allowing it to stick around throughout the match and check some common threats, such as Landorus and Mega Venusaur. However, Talonflame's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from switching in and out as much as it would want, (RC) and makes Defog or Rapid Spin support a necessity, hampering its effectiveness. Talonflame's weakness to Stealth Rock is amplified by the fact that both its STABs STAB moves make it suffer recoil damage, further decreasing its longevity. Also, Talonflame's unimpressive base 81 Attack and lack of coverage means moves mean that it's easy to stop with physically bulky Pokemon or Pokemon that resists its STABs STAB attacks, such as Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon. Finally, Talonflame has weaknesses is weak to the common Water-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks, so taking it out is not hard at all.

Revenge Killer
########

Moves
========

Brave Bird gets priority thanks to Gale Wings and is Talonflame's most useful asset, OHKOing many offensive Pokemon and also allowing Talonflame to clean up weakened teams. Flare Blitz takes care of the Steel-types that resists resist Brave Bird, (RC) as well as some Electric-types, such as Thundurus and Zapdos. U-turn does respectable damage to some of Talonflame's best switch-ins, such as like Tyranitar and Rotom-W, and gives switch initiative. With Choice Band, Tailwind is the best option for the last slot with Choice Band, as it gets priority and can let teams a teammate revenge kill Pokemon that Talonflame's Brave Bird alone can not, such as Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Manectric. If Sharp Beak is the item of choice, then Roost is the superior option, allowing Talonflame to take advantage of its typing to find more switch-in opportunities and stick around for longer, by being able to heal damage taken from resisted attacks, such as like Scizor's U-turn or and Clefable's Moonblast.

There are some other situational moves that can be used on the last slot. Will-O-Wisp provides permanent chip damage to Talonflame's switch-ins and neuters its physically based checks, such as for example, Tyranitar and Landorus-T, making them easier to wear down. However, being locked into a status move has severe drawbacks, not to mention that using U-turn as said check or counter comes in is often the best course of action. Lastly, Me First allows Talonflame to OHKO Garchomp and Kyurem-B that have just obtained a KO with a Dragon-type attack.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to speed Speed tie with opposing Talonflame, (AC) and OHKO Mega Pinsir before it manages to hit Talonflame with +2 Quick Attack, and outspeed positive natured base 110s, such as Latios and Latias, so that you Talonflame can OHKO them finish them off with U-turn if possible given the chance (Talonflame can't one-shot Latios from full health). Choice Band is the superior Choice item as Talonflame will mostly be using either Brave Bird or U-turn, but Sharp Beak gives more flexibility and allows Talonflame to use Roost. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used, enabling Talonflame to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus with Flare Blitz and giving it a bit more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame is first and foremost a revenge killer, (RC) and should be played as such. The moment the battle starts, you should identify which Pokemon Talonflame can revenge kill; if those Pokemon are not too threatening to your team, then Talonflame can be played more recklessly. Otherwise, it should be kept safe at all costs, unless its use is absolutely necessary. In some situations, Talonflame can also end games with Brave Bird, so if one sees a team that can be swept by Talonflame with minimal preparations, it is wise to keep Talonflame healthy until those preparations have been made. Also, U-turn is the best move to spam early-game, as most of Talonflame's checks and counters can get worn down pretty easily by U-turn and Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

A way to deal with Stealth Rock is the number one concern when using Talonflame. Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best Pokemon at for this job, as all have decent synergy with Talonflame, resisting one or more of its weaknesses and beating some of its checks and counters (Mold Breaker Excadrill beats Rotom-W, Heatran, and Tyranitar; Latios and Latias beat Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Thundurus), so they are some of the best teammates to have. Next, a good check to Rotom-W and physical walls / pivots walls/pivots in general is needed, as those they are the most common answers to Talonflame. Mega Venusaur and Kyurem-B can handle all of those, so they are both great partners. Rotom-W and Scizor have great synergy with Talonflame and can form a Volt-turn VoltTurn core that facilitates getting it in for free. Stealth Rock support is nice to have, as it enables Talonflame to OHKO certain targets. For example, with Choice Band and with Stealth Rock up, Brave Bird can OHKO Latias and Landorus, and can 2HKO Mandibuzz and max HP Zapdos. Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Terrakion are all great partners and some of the best offensive Stealth Rock setters. Finally, Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Pinsir work great alongside Talonflame, as they all have similar checks and counters, allowing them to batter down such those Pokemon in an attempt to overwhelm and possibly sweep the opposing team.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

Bulk Up makes Talonflame really difficult to take down and gives it the power to sweep through teams. Brave Bird gets priority and hits hard after a few boosts, enabling Talonflame to bypass faster threats, and hits hard after a few boosts. Roost allows Talonflame to accumulate multiple boosts in front of Pokemon that can't significantly hurt it and also gets priority, allowing Talonflame to soften the blow from faster Pokemon that use Rock or Electric moves Rock- or Electric-type attacks if the need arises. Will-O-Wisp pressures Talonflame's checks and counters by slowly wearing them down, while also limiting the offensive presence of some of those Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T. Taunt prevents the use of phazing moves, entry hazards, and status moves, granting Talonflame the ability to beat some of its most common checks, namely Hippowdon and Heatran.

Substitute helps Talonflame stall out the PP of Stone Edge users, such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, and Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, allowing Talonflame to, sometimes, use them as set up bait, sometimes. Flare Blitz can be used for in the last slot for as a way to deal immediately with threatening Steel-types, such as namely Aegislash and Excadrill, and in addition to Thundurus, but leaves Talonflame very prone to its usual checks and counters, unlike the other mentioned options on the last slot.

Set Details
========

Special bulk is maximized to help Talonflame take hits on its weaker side, as Bulk Up patches up its physical side Defense. If using Taunt, a spread of 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe with a Careful nature can be used, letting Talonflame outrun Timid Deoxys-D and Taunt it before it can use Thunder Wave or set up entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent lacks Fire-types Fire-type Pokemon, send Talonflame in as early as possible when the game starts to cripple its checks with Will-O-Wisp, making them easier to wear down throughout the course of the game. With Taunt, this set stops many of the universal Talonflame checks, such as Whirlwind Hippowdon and specially defensive Heatran, so use this to your advantage; send out Talonflame out when it can threaten everything on the opposing team other than said mons Pokemon, and Bulk Up as they come in, then either grab a second Bulk Up boost as they switch out (realizing they sent in the wrong Pokemon), or Taunt them, preventing moves like Toxic and Roar/Whirlwind from hindering your sweep; then Talonflame is free to get more and then grab a second Bulk Up boost boosts. Also, take advantage of Talonflame's fast Taunt to handicap Pokemon that rely a lot on non-attacking moves, such as Deoxys-D, Defog Mandibuzz, and Hippowdon. Be aware of what attacks Talonflame can and can't take in on both sides, so you can decide whether you should stay in and boost more or switch out.

Team Options
========

Anti-Stealth Rock Rapid Spin/Defog support is a must, even more so than on other sets, as. (period) Bulk Up Talonflame likes to switch in and out a lot to take advantage of its defensive investment, which is coupled with its nice typing and Roost to check multiple Pokemon, ability to cripple its checks with Will-O-Wisp, and. (period) Additionally, the lack of immediate power which makes straight up walling it Talonflame easier. (I think it is easier to read now it is broken in smaller sentences) Defog (redundant with the proposed paragraph beginning) Mega Scizor and Skarmory are the most sturdy Pokemon for this job, though more offensive choices such as Latios, Latias, and Excadrill can work depending on the team. All of those Pokemon have at least decent defensive synergy with Talonflame, being able to check or wall some of the Pokemon that Talonflame struggles against, such as for example, Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, Thundurus, and Landorus-T. Mega Venusaur can check most Water Water- and Electric-types that threaten Talonflame, in addition to handling certain physically defensive Pokemon that wall Talonflame, such as in Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Choice Band Staraptor can wear down Talonflame's checks and counters so that it has an easier time sweeping late-game, making for a great partner; the same goes for Mega Pinsir.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

With Swords Dance and priority Brave Bird, Talonflame can take the role of a sweeper. Brave Bird is fairly powerful after a boost and OHKOes most offensive Pokemon. Flare Blitz takes care of Steel-types, while Roost gives some use to Talonflame in the early and mid-game, as it can throw a couple of attacks, recover off the passive damage and recoil damage, and set up later to attempt a sweep. Roost also makes Talonflame able to deal with the Pokemon it checks for an extended period of time, such as like Scizor, Clefable, Mega Venusaur, and Volcarona.

U-turn can be used on the last slot, as Talonflame fits nicely onto Volt-Turn VoltTurn chains, and can wear down certain some of its checks and counters, such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Taunt shuts down Hippowdon and defensive Heatran, allowing Talonflame to boost its Attack enough to get past them and sweep.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to speed Speed tie with opposing Talonflame and OHKO Mega Pinsir with Brave Bird before it manages to land a Quick Attack. Sharp Beak is the best item option to power up Brave Bird, (RC) as, (AC) after a Swords Dance boost, Flare Blitz has enough power to KO its targets Flying-type resists, and with Life Orb Talonflame will get KOed by recoil damage really fast. However, Life Orb is useful to get some crucial OHKOes OHKOs with Brave Bird, namely a 43.8% chance to OHKO Thundurus, a 25% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Excadrill or Sand Rush Excadrill in sand after Stealth Rock, a 50% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Rotom-W after Stealth Rock, and a 75% chance to OHKO specially defensive Hippowdon after one layer of Spikes. Life Orb also gives to Talonflame more immediate power, which is useful for revenge killing purposes. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used if Thundurus is particularly problematic, as it lets Talonflame outspeed and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be very flexible in terms of playstyle. It can take the role of an all-out attacker, revenge killer, pivot, hole puncher hole-puncher, and late-game cleaner; choose what it is more appropriate for after seeing your opponent's team. As long as there are hard counters to Talonflame alive, it's better to double switch out or heal with Roost. Also, if you want to clean up with Talonflame, make sure you have enough health to do so, as many teams rely on recoil damage to check Talonflame if their checks and counters are weakened.

Team Options
========

As usual, Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best partners to Talonflame, as they are effective at getting rid of Stealth Rock, have good offensive presence, and cover Talonflame's weaknesses. Strong physical wallbreakers to weaken down the physically bulky Pokemon that Talonflame can't OHKO, such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T for instance, work well with Talonflame. Such Pokemon include Swords Dance Garchomp, Choice Band Terrakion, and Swords Dance Aegislash, with Garchomp also being able to set up Stealth Rock, further assisting Talonflame. Rotom-W can deal with most physical walls and tanks that check Talonflame, in addition to bringing Talonflame in unharmed with Volt Switch, making for a very effective teammate. Staraptor forms a very effective offensive core with Talonflame, as both Pokemon have similar checks and counters, so either of them can weaken the opposing team so that the other one can clean up later. If Staraptor holds Choice Band, Staraptor it is usually the one who weakens the opposing team and Talonflame the one who sweeps, while if Staraptor holds Choice Scarf the opposite happens. Mega Pinsir wears down Talonflame's checks and counters in a similar fashion, so it's another good teammate for it.

Other Options
########

A set with Brave Bird, Roost, Taunt, and Will-O-Wisp can be used, which allows Talonflame to stallbreak, revenge kill, and cripple some of its counters all in one set; however, it excels in at none of those roles and loses out on a lot of power, making revenge killing with Brave Bird much more difficult. Natural Gift with Salac or Liechi Berry can be used on the Swords Dance set; Salac Berry gives Talonflame a 100 BP Fighting Base Power Fighting-type move, which it can use to get past Tyranitar and Heatran, while Liechi Berry gives it a 100 BP Grass Base Power Grass-type move, which it can use to get past maims Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Finally, a mixed set with max Special Attack, Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Ice or Ground can be used, allowing Talonflame to get past some of its usual checks and counters such as Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Heatran, and to avoid recoil when using its Fire Fire-type STAB.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Some of the best ways to deal with Talonflame is through sheer physical bulk, as Talonflame is not very powerful. Physically defensive Gyarados, Slowbro, Zygarde, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Vaporeon, and Krookodile all have excellent physical bulk and are neutral to Talonflame's STABs, and thus can wall it, while slowly wearing it down with its own recoil (and sandstorm in Hippowdon's case), and. (period) Some some of them can even OHKO it back, namely Rock Slide Hippowdon, Gyarados, and Landorus-T. Keep in mind that any of those Pokemon that can't immediately threaten Talonflame will lose to the Bulk Up set with Taunt, and some of them are heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp, a common move on the Bulk Up set. Basically, any physical attacker or Pokemon that lack lacks reliable recovery are very prone to getting worn down if Talonflame has Will-O-Wisp. Also, U-turn is another thing to keep in mind, as it can wear whittle down many of those Pokemon, especially those weak to it or those that lack recovery, especially and even more so when combined with Stealth Rock damage.

**Pokemon that resist Talonflame's STABs**: Almost every Pokemon that resists Talonflame's STABs and has passable physical bulk is at least a good check to it, with the. (period) A notable exception of is Thundurus, which can't switch into Talonflame at all but can revenge kill it, as it can take even one being able to survive one Choice Band-boosted Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage and OHKO back. Such Pokemon are such as Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Heatran, Rotom-H, Zapdos, and Mega Aerodactyl make for good checks, with Rotom-W and specially defensive Heatran straight up countering most of Talonflame's sets. However, Heatran loses to the Bulk up set with Taunt and might fail to beat the Swords Dance set too, but it can carry a Rock Rock-type move to beat those sets *(see my full comments at the end of the post). Also, while Zapdos doesn't resist Talonflame's Fire STAB Flare Blitz, it can still avoid the 2HKO from it without if it doesn't switch into Stealth Rock up as long as and Talonflame isn't holding a Choice Band, (RC) thanks to its good bulk, so it makes for a good check as long as Stealth Rock is off the field. Out of all the Tyranitar sets, only the tank set can repeatedly switch into Talonflame, as all other variants are worn down very fast by U-turn, and; (semicolon) if it lacks a Rock-type attack, (AC) it loses to the Bulk Up set, while nevertheless getting crippled heavily by Will-O-Wisp from Bulk Up sets. Keep in mind that even though Choice Band Tyranitar can't recklessly switch into Talonflame easily in fear of U-turn, it can easily Pursuit trap it after Talonflame KOes something with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. In general, any Pokemon that is weak to U-turn or lacks reliable recovery might fail to deal with Talonflame after repeated U-turn hits, and any physical attacker is heavily crippled neutered by Will-O-Wisp.

**Passive Damage**: Stealth Rock is Talonflame's biggest enemy. As long as you manage to keep Stealth Rock on the field, you have managed to keep Talonflame in check. Additionally, because both of Talonflame's STABs induce recoil damage, forcing Talonflame to KO or weaken itself is another way to deal with it. The best way to do this is with Rocky Helmet Garchomp, which, (AC) between a high HP stat, Rough Skin, and Rocky Helmet, causes Talonflame to take tons of recoil damage. The fact that Garchomp has enough bulk to take a couple of hits from Talonflame helps too. Ferrothorn, especially with Rocky Helmet, is another Pokemon that can almost KO Talonflame through passive damage alone, though it must sacrifice itself to do so.

Overview
########

With access to Gale Wings and STAB Brave Bird, Talonflame is unarguably the best revenge killer in OU. It can also function as a great cleaner or sweeper, with Swords Dance, Bulk Up, or a Choice Band. Furthermore, Talonflame has priority Roost and a good typing that gives it plenty of opportunities to use the move, allowing it to stick around throughout the match and check some common threats, such as Landorus and Mega Venusaur. However, Talonflame's 4x weakness to Stealth Rock prevents it from switching in and out as much as it would want and makes Defog or Rapid Spin support a necessity, hampering its effectiveness. Talonflame's weakness to Stealth Rock is amplified by the fact that both its STAB moves make it suffer recoil damage, further decreasing its longevity. Also, Talonflame's unimpressive base 81 Attack and lack of coverage moves mean that it's easy to stop with physically bulky Pokemon or Pokemon that resists its STAB attacks, such as Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon. Finally, Talonflame is weak to the common Water-, Electric-, and Rock-type attacks, so taking it out is not hard at all.

Revenge Killer
########

Moves
========

Brave Bird gets priority thanks to Gale Wings and is Talonflame's most useful asset, OHKOing many offensive Pokemon and allowing Talonflame to clean up weakened teams. Flare Blitz takes care of the Steel-types that resist Brave Bird as well as some Electric-types, such as Thundurus and Zapdos. U-turn does respectable damage to some of Talonflame's best switch-ins, like Tyranitar and Rotom-W, and gives switch initiative. With Choice Band, Tailwind is the best option for the last slot, as it gets priority and can let a teammate revenge kill Pokemon that Talonflame's Brave Bird alone can not, such as Mega Tyranitar, Mega Aerodactyl, and Mega Manectric. If Sharp Beak is the item of choice, then Roost is the superior option, allowing Talonflame to find more switch-in opportunities and stick around for longer, by being able to heal damage taken from resisted attacks, like Scizor's U-turn and Clefable's Moonblast.

There are some other situational moves that can be used on the last slot. Will-O-Wisp provides permanent chip damage to Talonflame's switch-ins and neuters its physically based checks, for example, Tyranitar and Landorus-T, making them easier to wear down. However, being locked into a status move has severe drawbacks, not to mention that using U-turn as said check or counter comes in is often the best course of action. Lastly, Me First allows Talonflame to OHKO Garchomp and Kyurem-B that have just obtained a KO with a Dragon-type attack.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to Speed tie with opposing Talonflame, OHKO Mega Pinsir before it manages to hit Talonflame with +2 Quick Attack, and outspeed positive natured base 110s, such as Latios and Latias, so that Talonflame can finish them off with U-turn if given the chance. Choice Band is the superior item as Talonflame will mostly be using either Brave Bird or U-turn, but Sharp Beak gives more flexibility and allows Talonflame to use Roost. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used, enabling Talonflame to outspeed and OHKO Thundurus with Flare Blitz and giving it a bit more bulk.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame is first and foremost a revenge killer and should be played as such. The moment the battle starts, you should identify which Pokemon Talonflame can revenge kill; if those Pokemon are not too threatening to your team, then Talonflame can be played more recklessly. Otherwise, it should be kept safe at all costs, unless its use is absolutely necessary. In some situations, Talonflame can also end games with Brave Bird, so if one sees a team that can be swept by Talonflame with minimal preparations, it is wise to keep Talonflame healthy until those preparations have been made. Also, U-turn is the best move to spam early-game, as most of Talonflame's checks and counters can get worn down pretty easily by U-turn and Stealth Rock.

Team Options
========

A way to deal with Stealth Rock is the number one concern when using Talonflame. Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best Pokemon for this job, as all have decent synergy with Talonflame, resisting one or more of its weaknesses and beating some of its checks and counters (Mold Breaker Excadrill beats Rotom-W, Heatran, and Tyranitar; Latios and Latias beat Rotom-W, Landorus-T, and Thundurus). Next, a good check to Rotom-W and physical walls/pivots in general is needed, as they are the most common answers to Talonflame. Mega Venusaur and Kyurem-B can handle all of those, so they are both great partners. Rotom-W and Scizor have great synergy with Talonflame and can form a VoltTurn core that facilitates getting in for free. Stealth Rock support is nice to have, as it enables Talonflame to OHKO certain targets. For example, with Choice Band and with Stealth Rock up, Brave Bird can OHKO Latias and Landorus, and can 2HKO Mandibuzz and max HP Zapdos. Pokemon such as Landorus-T, Garchomp, and Terrakion are all great partners and some of the best offensive Stealth Rock setters. Finally, Choice Band Staraptor and Mega Pinsir work great alongside Talonflame, as they all have similar checks and counters, allowing them to batter down those Pokemon in an attempt to overwhelm and possibly sweep the opposing team.

Bulk Up
########

Moves
========

Bulk Up makes Talonflame really difficult to take down and gives it the power to sweep through teams. Brave Bird gets priority, enabling Talonflame to bypass faster threats, and hits hard after a few boosts. Roost allows Talonflame to accumulate multiple boosts in front of Pokemon that can't significantly hurt it and also gets priority, allowing Talonflame to soften the blow from faster Pokemon that use Rock- or Electric-type attacks if the need arises. Will-O-Wisp pressures Talonflame's checks and counters by slowly wearing them down, while also limiting the offensive presence of some of those Pokemon, such as Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Landorus-T. Taunt prevents the use of phazing moves, entry hazards, and status moves, granting Talonflame the ability to beat some of its most common checks, namely Hippowdon and Heatran.

Substitute helps Talonflame stall out the PP of Stone Edge users, such as Tyranitar and Landorus-T, and Rotom-W's Hydro Pump, allowing Talonflame to, sometimes, use them as set up bait. Flare Blitz can be used in the last slot as a way to deal immediately with threatening Steel-types, namely Aegislash and Excadrill, in addition to Thundurus, but leaves Talonflame very prone to its usual checks and counters, unlike the other mentioned options.

Set Details
========

Special bulk is maximized to help Talonflame take hits on its weaker side, as Bulk Up patches up its Defense. If using Taunt, a spread of 248 HP / 184 SpD / 76 Spe with a Careful nature can be used, letting Talonflame outrun Timid Deoxys-D and Taunt it before it can use Thunder Wave or set up entry hazards.

Usage Tips
========

If the opponent lacks Fire-type Pokemon, send Talonflame in as early as possible to cripple its checks with Will-O-Wisp, making them easier to wear down throughout the course of the game. With Taunt, this set stops many of the universal Talonflame checks, such as Whirlwind Hippowdon and specially defensive Heatran, so use this to your advantage; send Talonflame out when it can threaten everything on the opposing team other than said Pokemon, Bulk Up as they come in, then either grab a second Bulk Up boost as they switch out (realizing they sent in the wrong Pokemon), or Taunt, preventing moves like Toxic and Roar/Whirlwind from hindering your sweep; then Talonflame is free to get more Bulk Up boosts. Also, take advantage of Talonflame's fast Taunt to handicap Pokemon that rely a lot on non-attacking moves, such as Deoxys-D, Defog Mandibuzz, and Hippowdon. Be aware of what attacks Talonflame can and can't take on both sides, so you can decide whether you should stay in and boost more or switch out.

Team Options
========

Rapid Spin/Defog support is a must, even more so than on other sets. Bulk Up Talonflame likes to switch in and out a lot to take advantage of its defensive investment, which is coupled with its nice typing and Roost to check multiple Pokemon, ability to cripple its checks with Will-O-Wisp. Additionally, the lack of immediate power makes straight up walling Talonflame easier. Mega Scizor and Skarmory are the most sturdy Pokemon for this job, though more offensive choices such as Latios, Latias, and Excadrill can work depending on the team. All of those Pokemon have at least decent defensive synergy with Talonflame, being able to check or wall some of the Pokemon that Talonflame struggles against, for example, Rotom-W, Heatran, Tyranitar, Thundurus, and Landorus-T. Mega Venusaur can check most Water- and Electric-types that threaten Talonflame, in addition to handling certain physically defensive Pokemon that wall Talonflame in Hippowdon and Tyranitar. Choice Band Staraptor can wear down Talonflame's checks and counters so that it has an easier time sweeping late-game, making for a great partner; the same goes for Mega Pinsir.

Swords Dance
########

Moves
========

With Swords Dance and priority Brave Bird, Talonflame can take the role of a sweeper. Brave Bird is fairly powerful after a boost and OHKOes most offensive Pokemon. Flare Blitz takes care of Steel-types, while Roost gives some use to Talonflame in the early and mid-game, as it can throw a couple of attacks, recover off passive and recoil damage, and set up later to attempt a sweep. Roost also makes Talonflame able to deal with the Pokemon it checks for an extended period of time, like Scizor, Clefable, Mega Venusaur, and Volcarona.

U-turn can be used on the last slot, as Talonflame fits nicely onto VoltTurn chains, and can wear down some of its checks and counters, such as Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Taunt shuts down Hippowdon and defensive Heatran, allowing Talonflame to boost its Attack enough to get past them and sweep.

Set Details
========

Maximum Speed is used to Speed tie with opposing Talonflame and OHKO Mega Pinsir with Brave Bird before it manages to land a Quick Attack. Sharp Beak is the best item option to power up Brave Bird as, after a Swords Dance boost, Flare Blitz has enough power to KO Flying-type resists, and with Life Orb Talonflame will get KOed by recoil damage really fast. However, Life Orb is useful to get some crucial OHKOs with Brave Bird, namely a 43.8% chance to OHKO Thundurus, a 25% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Excadrill or Sand Rush Excadrill in sand after Stealth Rock, a 50% chance to OHKO Choice Scarf Rotom-W after Stealth Rock, and a 75% chance to OHKO specially defensive Hippowdon after one layer of Spikes. Life Orb also gives Talonflame more immediate power, which is useful for revenge killing purposes. A Jolly nature with an EV spread of 120 HP / 252 Atk / 136 Spe can be used if Thundurus is particularly problematic, as it lets Talonflame outspeed and OHKO it with Flare Blitz.

Usage Tips
========

This set can be very flexible in terms of playstyle. It can take the role of an all-out attacker, revenge killer, pivot, hole-puncher, and late-game cleaner; choose what is more appropriate after seeing your opponent's team. As long as there are hard counters to Talonflame alive, it's better to double switch out or heal with Roost. Also, if you want to clean up with Talonflame, make sure you have enough health to do so, as many teams rely on recoil damage to check Talonflame if their checks and counters are weakened.

Team Options
========

As usual, Excadrill, Latios, and Latias are the best partners to Talonflame, as they are effective at getting rid of Stealth Rock, have good offensive presence, and cover Talonflame's weaknesses. Strong physical wallbreakers to weaken the physically bulky Pokemon that Talonflame can't OHKO, Hippowdon and Landorus-T for instance, work well with Talonflame. Such Pokemon include Swords Dance Garchomp, Choice Band Terrakion, and Swords Dance Aegislash, with Garchomp also being able to set up Stealth Rock, further assisting Talonflame. Rotom-W can deal with most physical walls and tanks that check Talonflame, in addition to bringing Talonflame in unharmed with Volt Switch, making for a very effective teammate. Staraptor forms a very effective offensive core with Talonflame, as both Pokemon have similar checks and counters, so either of them can weaken the opposing team so that the other one can clean up later. If Staraptor holds Choice Band, it is usually the one who weakens the opposing team and Talonflame the one who sweeps, while if Staraptor holds Choice Scarf the opposite happens. Mega Pinsir wears down Talonflame's checks and counters in a similar fashion, so it's another good teammate for it.

Other Options
########

A set with Brave Bird, Roost, Taunt, and Will-O-Wisp can be used, which allows Talonflame to stallbreak, revenge kill, and cripple some of its counters all in one set; however, it excels at none of those roles and loses out on a lot of power, making revenge killing with Brave Bird much more difficult. Natural Gift with Salac or Liechi Berry can be used on the Swords Dance set; Salac Berry gives Talonflame a 100 Base Power Fighting-type move, which it can use to get past Tyranitar and Heatran, while Liechi Berry gives it a 100 Base Power Grass-type move, which maims Rotom-W and Tyranitar. Finally, a mixed set with max Special Attack, Fire Blast, and Hidden Power Ice or Ground can be used, allowing Talonflame to get past some of its usual checks and counters such as Hippowdon, Landorus-T, and Heatran, and to avoid recoil when using its Fire-type STAB.

Checks & Counters
########

**Physically Defensive Pokemon**: Some of the best ways to deal with Talonflame is through sheer physical bulk, as Talonflame is not very powerful. Physically defensive Gyarados, Slowbro, Zygarde, Hippowdon, Landorus-T, Gliscor, Mandibuzz, Vaporeon, and Krookodile all have excellent physical bulk and are neutral to Talonflame's STABs, and thus can wall it, while slowly wearing it down with its own recoil (and sandstorm in Hippowdon's case). Some of them can even OHKO back, namely Rock Slide Hippowdon, Gyarados, and Landorus-T. Keep in mind that any of those Pokemon that can't immediately threaten Talonflame will lose to the Bulk Up set with Taunt, and some of them are heavily crippled by Will-O-Wisp, a common move on the Bulk Up set. Basically, any physical attacker or Pokemon that lacks reliable recovery are very prone to getting worn down if Talonflame has Will-O-Wisp. Also, U-turn is another thing to keep in mind, as it can whittle down many of those Pokemon, especially those weak to it or those that lack recovery and even more so when combined with Stealth Rock damage.

**Pokemon that resist Talonflame's STABs**: Almost every Pokemon that resists Talonflame's STABs and has passable physical bulk is at least a good check to it. A notable exception is Thundurus, which can't switch into Talonflame at all but can revenge kill it, being able to survive one Choice Band-boosted Brave Bird after Stealth Rock damage and OHKO back. Pokemon such as Tyranitar, Rotom-W, Heatran, Rotom-H, Zapdos, and Mega Aerodactyl make for good checks, with Rotom-W and specially defensive Heatran straight up countering most of Talonflame's sets. However, Heatran loses to the Bulk up set with Taunt and might fail to beat the Swords Dance set, but it can carry a Rock-type move to beat those sets. Also, while Zapdos doesn't resist Flare Blitz, it can still avoid the 2HKO if it doesn't switch into Stealth Rock and Talonflame isn't holding a Choice Band thanks to its good bulk, so it makes for a good check as long as Stealth Rock is off the field. Out of all the Tyranitar sets, only the tank set can repeatedly switch into Talonflame, as all other variants are worn down very fast by U-turn; if it lacks a Rock-type attack, it loses to the Bulk Up set, while nevertheless getting crippled heavily by Will-O-Wisp. Keep in mind that even though Choice Band Tyranitar can't recklessly switch into Talonflame in fear of U-turn, it can easily Pursuit trap it after Talonflame KOes something with Brave Bird or Flare Blitz. In general, any Pokemon that is weak to U-turn or lacks reliable recovery might fail to deal with Talonflame after repeated U-turn hits, and any physical attacker is neutered by Will-O-Wisp.

**Passive Damage**: Stealth Rock is Talonflame's biggest enemy. As long as you manage to keep Stealth Rock on the field, you have managed to keep Talonflame in check. Additionally, because both of Talonflame's STABs induce recoil damage, forcing Talonflame to KO or weaken itself is another way to deal with it. The best way to do this is with Rocky Helmet Garchomp, which, between a high HP stat, Rough Skin, and Rocky Helmet, causes Talonflame to take tons of recoil damage. The fact that Garchomp has enough bulk to take a couple of hits from Talonflame helps too. Ferrothorn, especially with Rocky Helmet, is another Pokemon that can almost KO Talonflame through passive damage alone, though it must sacrifice itself to do so.

*I make a point for specifying the rock move heatran should be using if trying to beat the bulk up set as it can’t be a random one. Heatran’s got rock slide, stone edge, ancient power, hidden power rock (the last two will be condensed into one as they have the same BP). Here are some calcs for specially defensive heatran:

0- Atk Heatran Rock Slide vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 232-276 (64.6 - 76.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 312-368 (86.9 - 102.5%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

4 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 200-236 (55.7 - 65.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

and after one bulk up

0- Atk Heatran Rock Slide vs. +1 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 156-188 (43.4 - 52.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. +1 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 208-248 (57.9 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

however, talonflame is likely to bulk up as heatran switches in and then it can stall out stone edge's or ancient power's PP with roost or bulk up through hidden power rock and rock slide

here are calcs for +1 def talonflame after roost (pure fire type)

0- Atk Heatran Rock Slide vs. +1 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 78-94 (21.7 - 26.1%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. +1 248 HP / 8 Def Talonflame: 104-124 (28.9 - 34.5%) -- 99.7% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

4 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 100-118 (27.8 - 32.8%) -- 75.6% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

so, barring a critical hit or a stat up from ancient power, i think specially defensive heatran is very hard pressed to counter bulk up talonflame with taunt even with a rock-type attack.

now offensive heatran

252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 264-312 (73.5 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

ancient power/hidden power rock doesn't care about bulk up so lets just consider roost

252+ SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 132-156 (36.7 - 43.4%) -- 98.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

still iffy. lets go all in with specs tran.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 392-464 (109.1 - 129.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

after roost

252+ SpA Choice Specs Heatran Ancient Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Talonflame: 196-232 (54.5 - 64.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

considering roost goes before ancient power/hp rock no matter what, talonflame can either stall out ancient power PP or take advantage of heatran being choice lock into lol hidden power to switch out to whatever.

as i see it, the only way heatran is beating bulk up talonflame is with a lucky critical hit or lucky roll with stone edge as talonflame taunts it or if talonflame derps and gets poisoned.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)