Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Something worth of note:

This post seems to confirm that Galar region will use Let's Go wild battles activation (obviously, still with normal battle mechanics), toghether with a triggerable random battle system.

Quite excited for this one, more than I could have asked.
That's really good to know! I hope the chaining system (based on caught Pokémon instead of encounters) is kept as well.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not sure if this has been brought up. but here's an interesting picture of Grookey Dynamaxing.

The XP bar looks similar so.. I guess Dynamaxing increases HP?

Doing a base stat estimate assuming no EVs (Im sure it does but just bear with me here lol), Grookey just went from base 38 HP to base 105-108 HP o_O. Assuming an IV of 0, its base 54-57 HP to 120-126 HP instead.

Of course the HP boost could work pretty differently, it might be a prcentage increase, a flat increase, hard to tell with just this single screenshot. Either way, this + the 3 turn limit and move changes makes it feel pretty different than mega evolution! Also on the Sword and Shield website, they clearly show Dynamaxing happening in a battle spot battle. No idea if the ladder will allow it, but I wouldn't be shocked if it does!

EDIT: messed up the HP calc cuz I thought it said level 19, not 15. My mistake!

Last edited:
it's really cool that the bicycle is back, I missed it.
Also, judging by the Roto-phone wording, you'll use the bike itself to Surf.

...can't wait for more years of Rotom memes ._.
That's really good to know! I hope the chaining system (based on caught Pokémon instead of encounters) is kept as well.
I'd be fine with that as long as we send SoS battles to oblivion :X

Honestly loving what I'm seeing so far, espeically some of the new pokemon (the crow knight being my favorite).

A little disappointed in the raid battles, as I live in a desert so local play is rarer than winning the lottery and I've been fighting getting monthly online subscriptions since 2008. I hope nothing is exclusive to this mode, but I fear it will be.

I like that despite the focus on equipment they went with quadruped legendaries, that's a nice touch. The color palate makes them look a bit over-designed, but nowhere near as bad as the Kyurem or Necrozma forms. Now we'll just have to survive the flood of "is that a Dark Souls reference?!" until the game comes out.

the added pain of trying to figure out what your opponent is running with dynamax added to the mix is already going to take a bit getting used to, but dmaxing will most probably require an item like z and mega at the very least, right? there's no way they would let something mega/z and then also gain the extra stats from dmaxing i would hope. mega zam, medicham + dmax? im getting nightmares already.

A little disappointed in the raid battles, as I live in a desert so local play is rarer than winning the lottery and I've been fighting getting monthly online subscriptions since 2008. I hope nothing is exclusive to this mode, but I fear it will be.
There was mention that raid battles do feature Pokemon only catchable like that, BUT, also that you can get AI support trainers if you're forced solo.

So you shouldn't be cut off anything.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands
Just want to post again saying, yes be excited, but this is not a meme thread to post random shit too.

Discuss and explore the information provided! I'll be making a more in depth post later on replaying to a lot of people here and giving my own views.

the added pain of trying to figure out what your opponent is running with dynamax added to the mix is already going to take a bit getting used to, but dmaxing will most probably require an item like z and mega at the very least, right? there's no way they would let something mega/z and then also gain the extra stats from dmaxing i would hope. mega zam, medicham + dmax? im getting nightmares already.
Do people still think you'll ever be able to use more than one gimmick at once? Seriously? You can already tell Dynamaxing will require some sort of special item which you'll probably acquire by defeating those dynamaxed pokemon. You can even see this region's new bracelet in the trailer, which I assume will also be used for Mega Evolution and Z-Moves.

Attachments

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
HYPED FOR THIS WITHOUT A DOUBT YES!

But really, this looks GOOD! The region looks gorgeous, and it looks like it'll be sooo much fun to explore the region!

There is so much to love here though.

First of all, I absolutely LOVE that the Gym Battles in Galar are in stadiums with massive crowds and being broadcast (ie the general populace actually watching them). It really helps make every step towards becoming Champion feel like a much more grandiose event: in the other regions, the Gyms are just there, and no one seems to really pay attention to you. Like yeah, you're on your way to becoming Champion, but who cares, right? But here, aiming for Champion will just feel that much more grand with the populace watching the big battles.

Leon is looking to be a pretty cool Champion though. He's using a...Charizard, which isn't anything special, but I'm hoping he ends up using the Gen 8 pseudo-legendary/600 club member, whatever that ends up being, and I hope that thing ends up being cool. Here's to hoping he also ends up being challenging even with EXP Share on, while Diantha was cool I was disappointed in how easy that fight was with EXP Share on (she's fine without it though). I hope he has some interesting character to him too, looking forward to seeing how our new Champion will fare.

The new professor is named Magnolia, which is also a tree. The fact that she's named after a tree is pretty much to be expected at this point given the pattern with professors since Gen 1. She seems to be a relatively old woman, which is a first for a Pokemon Professor. And she's researching the new Dynamax phenomenon, which is to be expected as well. Wondering what her granddaughter Sonia will bring to the table as well: this is the second time we've had a Professor with a family member doing research (first time was Gen 5 with Juniper and her father Cedric also being a researcher).

I'm also liking the new Pokemon as well. Wooloo is adorable and fluffy, Corviknight looks cool and will be a reliable Fly taxi in the game, Drednaw is a turtle and is likely Druddigon's distant relative (and I hope Drednaw is just as almighty powerful as the almighty Druddigon is), and Gossifleur and Eldegoss look to be the typical flowering plant Grass-type Pokemon. So far the new Galarian Pokemon look pretty cool, but I especially look forward to the new pseudo-legendary and what new fossil Pokemon there will be as well: as well as the third legend to Zacian and Zamazenta.

Zacian and Zamazenta are cool new cover legendaries. They are from what I've read and seen the Pokemon manifestations of the unstoppable force and the immovable object: Zacian the sword that can cut through anything, and Zamazenta the shield that cannot be penetrated. Zacian vs Zamazenta in other words is a living manifestation of the irresistible force paradox: when the unstoppable force meets the immovable object. Wondering what their roles in the story will be though, and how the villainous team will likely try to utilize them for their evil schemes. It'll be interesting to see.

Dynamax...looks to be the new Gen 8 gimmick. It looks like almost any Pokemon can use it, and basically is super sized Pokemon and super-powered moves for three turns. Wondering how this will work in battles, and how it'll affect Sword and Shield competitive. It'll be interesting to see how Dynamax affects Pokemon battles this time around. It's pretty cool to say the least.

Speaking of older gimmicks, I will be very upset if Mega Evolution doesn't return: that was a cool new feature. Z-Moves on the other hand I won't care if they're gone this time around.

In any case, I'm hyped for Sword and Shield without a doubt, and can't wait to play them in November. They look AWESOME!

I've been calculating info about Corviknight based on the HP that was shown. There's an image of a level 60 Corviknight with 200 HP. This gives it a pretty decent stat, of course it depends on EVs and such. Assuming it has 15 IVs in HP (middle between 0 and 31 max) and 84 HP EVs (enough for every stat to have an even 84 EVs) then Corviknight will have a base HP stat of 91. Its max base HP stat given the possible EV/IV range would be 109 and its minimum base HP stat would be 62.

Corviknight: Level 60, 200 HP

15 HP IVs, 84 HP EVs: Base 91

31 HP IVs, 252 HP EVs: Base 62

0 HP IVs, 0 HP EVs: Base 109

Since it's a Steel/Flying mon I assume its defense will be high, and access to Roost is plausible though I will avoid any theorizing. Corviknight should be fairly tanky; I hope it will have a good offensive presence as well.

Other mons:

Scorbunny: Level 6, 22 HP

15 HP IVs, 84 HP EVs: Base 32 - Base 40

31 HP IVs, 252 HP EVs: Base 3

0 HP IVs, 0 HP EVs: Base 58

Clearly the mins and maxes here are unrealistic; I'm expecting a stat very similar to the other starters. Obviously its HP will increase upon evolution so it's hard to make predictions now, but I doubt Scorbunny is going to have much in the way of bulk. Base 39 is the same as Charmander for reference.

Eldegloss: Level 20, 58 HP

15 HP IVs, 84 HP EVs: Base 52 - Base 55

31 HP IVs, 252 HP EVs: Base 23

0 HP IVs, 0 HP EVs: Base 72

Pretty underwhelming HP but bear in mind that Whimsicott has a base HP of 60. It's probably somewhere around that range.

Drednaw: Level 55, 169 HP

15 HP IVs, 84 HP EVs: Base 77

31 HP IVs, 252 HP EVs: Base 48

0 HP IVs, 0 HP EVs: Base 95

It's respectable. A high defense stat is plausible since it's Rock/Water and sort of based on a snapping turtle. If it evolves then I expect its final form to be very bulky.

Grookey: Level 15, 41 HP

15 HP IVs, 84 HP EVs: Base 38

31 HP IVs, 252 HP EVs: Base 7

0 HP IVs, 0 HP EVs: Base 56

If Grookey has 38 Base HP then it has the lowest of all Grass starters, with Treeko coming in second with 40 Base HP. I expect it to be somewhere in the 40s.

Last edited:
Speaking of older gimmicks, I will be very upset if Mega Evolution doesn't return: that was a cool new feature. Z-Moves on the other hand I won't care if they're gone this time around.
Judging by previous titles, you can expect both Z-crystals and Mega Stones to be relegated to postgame BP-buyable items, with the giantifybracer acting as catalyst.

And in similar fashion to gen 7, you can expect both to not be usable in the first VGC, and be fully available in second year of VGC when the second batch of titles come out.

(I am, however, kinda sad of not seeing any trace of returning regional forms. Of all mechanics, that one seemed to be very easy to maintain in future games)

Even the introduction of dynamaximg has left me curious:

• Can you chain dynamax raids to obtain shinies if possible?
  • Can Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and dynamaxing all be used in one team? Because dear lord the power creep is going to skyrocket (dynamaxed Blissey on stall theoretically is sounding pretty nasty).
  • So dynamax in doubles would have one Pokémon be giant while the other is just on the field? That’s what it’s looking like currently.
  • So from what it looks like, every support move becomes Max Guard. Presumably this means that Max Guard is just Protect? This is highly encouraging 50/50s in competitive if so.
  • So after your 3 turns of dynamax, is your Pokemon’s health divided from being big to small according to how much damage you take? Does this work the same when dynamaxing your Pokémon or does all the Pokémon’s health regenerate?
Of course some of these questions cannot be answered just yet but I have to say, I actually like the concept. I think this will add a new layer of depth to the competitive scene.

Can Mega Evolution, Z-Moves, and dynamaxing all be used in one team? Because dear lord the power creep is going to skyrocket (dynamaxed Blissey on stall theoretically is sounding pretty nasty).

So from what it looks like, every support move becomes Max Guard. Presumably this means that Max Guard is just Protect? This is highly encouraging 50/50s in competitive if so.
Do note that the fact it *looks like* status moves are just flat out changed to whatever Max Guard is, and the high chance that it will require a held item to Dynamax (similarly to Mega Stone and Z-crystals), a stall oriented Pokemon might actually absolutely *not* want to Dynamax due to it basically losing access to all his attacks.

If anything, it could be just another huge blow in defensive setups in favour of faster battles (which is something very doubles oriented, and not a surprise considering VGC is the official competitive formula anyway)

Clouds

False Pretenses
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I can't be more thrilled for wild areas man. Some form of camera control was a wish I had prior to this direct that I had little hope would be fulfilled, but it certainly was and it being in a designated area for wild Pokemon was more than I could ever ask for. Additionally, it's incredible how stunning the graphics are in these areas.

Can't wait for another direct on the 31st of August, if that subtle message in the direct on the battle uniforms that people picked up on is true.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So someone on another forum I frequent, ResetERA, posted a REALLY cool observation about the Wild Area! This is what user Phellps has to say!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/po...-pokémon-out-nov-15-2019.121044/post-21455119

Take a look at this image he made:

So he gets the Desert Area wrong I think... but he basically made a MAJOR observation: It seems like the Wild Area stretches beyond just the lakes. So its not like Tyranitar decided to go camping and fuck up the lake zone with a sandstorm. As you'd expect, it lives... in a desert! Also, that castle is clearly seen in the Wild Area too.

I think this means that the Wild Area may be a bit poorly named. This is looking more and more like this game has a major open world element, not just a small area in the map thats open!

TMan87

We shall bow to neither master nor god
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Alright, gotta throw in some of my opinions after watching the Direct:

• The games looks pretty and lively. The scale-up on Switch LOOKS like a success on that front, though we obviously need to wait for the actual versions to be released to see if it holds up to the trailer. framerate drops during doubles on 3DS games flashbacks
  • Speaking of this, the new catching mechanics, a mix of Let's Go and more traditional games, sounds real nice. You can see Pokémon around and try to chase and catch them, but they also kept the good old style of being assaulted by an army of low-level mons in the grass. There's also this ! symbol that appears. Does that indicate a rare Pokémon or something of significance?
  • WOOLOO IS SO CUTE. I like Gossifleur's design as well, hope it's a good Pokémon.
  • Game theory: Corviknight is the Dark Knight version of Skarmory. Both are Steel/Flying birds, after all.
  • Really, really excited for Wild Areas (what a bland name, though). Open world Pokémon game is a yes, Pokémon running around as you explore is a yes, free camera control is definitely a yes, now to see if it's just a gimmick or a somewhat major thing to do in Galar.
  • On the contrary, Dynamax is meh. It feels like another "look there's a super powerful form/thing you can use on your favorite Pokémon!" gimmick marketed towards children. At least I'll be able to make Gurren Lagann jokes about it.
  • On the contrary of the contrary, Raid battles look super fun! 4v1, against a considerably buffed enemy, and you need flawless teamwork to take it down ? Sign me up right this instant! Raids are why I joined BBP in the first time, so I'll definitely be asking nightblitz42 and Granny Pie to team up with me once more. I take it it's an influence from Pokémon GO? (though, I'm disappointed only 1 player can catch the Pokémon, hope there are rewards for everyone like evolution stones or something)
  • Gym Battles finally look thrilling. In fact they look like a mix of Gym Battles and... Contests, what with all the people watching. I'm curious though, the trailer said something along the lines of "the excitement in the stadium can reach its peak", maybe a Contest-like element where you get rewarded for pleasing the crowd?
  • The legendaries are okay. Not my favorite design but they're cool. Sword is my favorite rn. I also legit thought Solgaleo was returning before realizing it was a new Pokémon.
I probably forgot stuff but I'll keep a close eye on here anyway.
All in all, hyped up by what we had!

So someone on another forum I frequent, ResetERA, posted a REALLY cool observation about the Wild Area! This is what user Phellps has to say!

https://www.resetera.com/threads/pokémon-sword-shield-gameplay-reveal-trailer-raid-battles-new-dynamax-mechanic-overworld-pokémon-encounters-new-pokémon-out-nov-15-2019.121044/post-21455119

Take a look at this image he made:

So he gets the Desert Area wrong I think... but he basically made a MAJOR observation: It seems like the Wild Area stretches beyond just the lakes. So its not like Tyranitar decided to go camping and fuck up the lake zone with a sandstorm. As you'd expect, it lives... in a desert! Also, that castle is clearly seen in the Wild Area too.

I think this means that the Wild Area may be a bit poorly named. This is looking more and more like this game has a major open world element, not just a small area in the map thats open!
There was also an area in the trailer with a bunch of Snover, which I assume will be in the northern area. This area seems to be a lot bigger than what we initially thought, which I think is a good thing. Also, I guess the trains are a sort of fast travel that allows us to bypass the Wild Areas?

There was also an area in the trailer with a bunch of Snover, which I assume will be in the northern area. This area seems to be a lot bigger than what we initially thought, which I think is a good thing. Also, I guess the trains are a sort of fast travel that allows us to bypass the Wild Areas?
Maybe, or maybe not. They say that you'll be able to fly on Corviknight (looks like the HM-Fly and Charizard passage replacement), to trains might be purely cosmetic.

....or... the Battle Trainway... :smogthink:

Just watched the Direct! I was going into this cautiously optimistic, but I now genuinely think that Sword and Shield will be some of the better games. What most caught my attention is the overworld - we have confirmation that the camera will be freely controllable, and while this isn't confirmed, the "Wild area" as it's called seems to be VERY open-world. Granted, a lot of this hinges on Game Freak doing things right, but I'm excited about the amount of potential exploration. A common complaint about Sun/Moon was having 5 or 6 Pokemon take up the random encounter table in every single location; however, what they could do in Sword/Shield is have open, easy-to-access areas be filled with common Pokemon and then put a nest of rare encounters somewhere hard to reach.

Overall, I like the new Pokemon. I definitely see design similarities to existing Pokemon such as Eldegoss and Whimsicott, Wooloo and Mareep, Corviknight and Murkrow (though Murkrow is still better), and Drednaw and Carracosta; though some of them look like they'll play differently. We also have soft confirmation that HMs are gone for good, with the Corviknight Taxi doing the exact same thing as Fly, though with the added restriction that you can only go town->town instead of wild->town (or wild->wild in ORAS). I like the look of the legendaries, and it's cool how we're getting a pair of quadrupeds. I prefer Zacian to Zamazenta because I've always favoured quick strikers over tanks, but they're both pretty cool. (Though it *can't* be convenient for Zacian to carry that greatsword in its mouth all the time).

And then there's Dynamaxing, this generation's Cool New Toy that none of us wanted but we all knew we were getting. Anyway, the stat increase I don't mind all that much; as far as I can tell it's roughly the same as Mega Evolution, with an HP boost. What bugs me more is that the moves seem to turn into simplified, powered-up versions of themselves (hmm, where have we heard that before?), which I *really* hope doesn't oversimplify the strategy. The 3-turn limit is cool, though, and it's nice that there'll be a limit on it.

As for NPCs... well, all I have to say is that when GF designed Sonia, they knew who they were marketing to.

This trailer wasn't for me
that's not to say it wasn't for pokemon fans, but it wasn't for me

I don't care about your giant pokemon Gamefreak
I don't care about wild pokemon in the overworld, I only care about my own pokemon following me (which we didn't get of course)
I definitely don't care about frigging raids of all things

Also, and do take into account that this is the opinion of someone that has hated legendary designs since freaking Suicune (hate you Suicune), aren't the legendary designs really ugly for this game? like B-daman ugly

but hey, female professor that's awesome
complains, complains, complains

Last edited:
So he gets the Desert Area wrong I think... but he basically made a MAJOR observation: It seems like the Wild Area stretches beyond just the lakes. So its not like Tyranitar decided to go camping and fuck up the lake zone with a sandstorm.
Why not?

Anyways, it's pretty nice to have zones that are pretty much only for catching Pokémon, with nothing resembling a trainer in there. I think it's a first since Cerulean Cave in RBY (and to a lesser extent Mt. Silver in GSC).

Anyways, it's pretty nice to have zones that are pretty much only for catching Pokémon, with nothing resembling a trainer in there. I think it's a first since Cerulean Cave in RBY (and to a lesser extent Mt. Silver in GSC).
There's no notice of not being trainers in the Wilderness. They could be much more sparce or only in specific parts, but I don't see why they would completely be absent.

Initial thoughts:
Wooloo: Cute sheep. That's about it. Maybe it will have stylizing like Furfrou? Seems simple enough to have an evolution.
Gossifleur/Edlegoss: Cute seeds. That's about it. Regenerator is always good, though the fact that the first gym leader uses it suggests low BST.
Drednaw: I love it! Sadly, its pokedex takes a page out of real life where the abandonment of pet snapping turtles is a real problem. :( Hope it get all the elemental bite moves!
Corviknight: Looks cool. RIP HMs. Hopefully more interesting than Skarmory 2.0. Might get that steel contest move?
Zacian: Keldeo stole Herdier's coat along with Suicune and Solgaleo's style. I dunno. Ignoring the silly sword, it just feels like things we have seen before.
Zamazenta: More original than Zacian, but it feels like they did this pair concept already with Lycanrock. Also, its going to be really hard to remember these legendary's names.

Dynamax: Seems cool for gym battles. Need more mechanical info to judge it competitively (Like, can you switch?). Would really suck if all support moves become protect.
Rotom Phone: Second verse, same as the first. I wanna see the evil team put a Rotom in a bulldozer or giant mecha or something to make the ultimate pokemon.
Leon: He is either confident enough to use a cool but bad pokemon on his team, or we get megas before the end of the game.
Hop: His brother is the champ, so hopefully he is less wishy-washy than recent rivals.
Magnolia/Sonia: Magnolia is a nice change from the streak of younger professors. Not sure what to think of Sonia.
Milo: He runs the GYM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 9)