ORAS Doubles OU SwibbleSwabble Doubles OU

Introduction
After sweeping singles in Pokemon showdown with a rain team, I started to mix it up by playing doubles now. This team of mine is fairly basic in fact too basic. Other than the few personally mix up's in my team my team is something almost everyone see's in doubles overused. During competing i realize my team has some problems at times but other times it works out perfectly. For example my two leads sometimes die in a few turns barely making a impact and than the momentum of the opponent sweeps me easily while other times my two leads sweep the entire team.

Currently my points on Pokemon Showdown with this team is around 1350
Team Building Thought Process
So I started with the star of my rain team Mega Blastoise

Than I need a physical sweeper and a Pokemon to make a last stand so Haxorus

Of course it wouldn't be a double team without Rotom-wash

And with that said, all teams in OU need Talonflame

Than i need a Pokemon to cripple most Pokemon as a lead so here come Thundurus

Finally I need a Pokemon to support Thundurus

Move-sets and Description

Blastoise-Mega as a Special Sweeper
Blastoisinite
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 212 Def / 44 SpA / 252 SpD
Modest Nature
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Water Spout
- Yawn

Blastoise can tank massive damage and deal massive damage. Most people choose charizard or mawile for their mega for good reason but few people strangely use Blastoise. Therefore people don't see him as a threat and target my other Pokemon. Blastoise uses his mega launcher to boost the coverage moves aura sphere and dark pulse. Water Sprout is his main attack and can sweep many Pokemon. Even grass Pokemon take noticeable amount of damage. Finally yawn works surprisingly well to force switches, since Blastoise is a tank having this move suits him.

Haxorus as a Physical Sweeper
Razor Claw
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Focus Energy
- Dragon Claw
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide

Haxorus is a my physical sweeper for three reason. He is built to be a physical sweep have you seen he's stat. He has focus energy, and with that aside Razor Claw he might as well have almost 800 attack stat. Finally is he can learn a wide variety of moves. Dragon claw is for stab and focus damage. Brick Break is to break screens and coverage. Finally Rock Slide is his main attack for it hits both Pokemon.

Rotom Wash as a Crippler
Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 116 HP / 140 Def / 252 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Confuse Ray
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

Rotom Wash is in every Pokemon team. He has good longevity and defense. His typing is also very good since his ability cures a weakness. Will-o-Wisp is to cripple most Pokemon. Confuse Ray is too take the heat off my Pokemon for a few turns. Thunderbolt is his reliable attack while Hydro Pump is his "ultimate" i guess, i don't know.

Talonflame as a Physical Sweeper
Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Roost
- Protect

Talonflame is also in every team and for good reason. He has high sweeping potential however because he is so overused that i might switch him with Staraptor. Staraptor has higher attack, better stats a equally good ability but not very good moves. Anyways Talonflame deals Brave Bird and Flare Blitz for it deals great damage. Roost can be helpful for longevity and Protect is pretty obvious.

Thundurus as a Crippler/Lead
Red Card
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Electroweb
- Flash Cannon

Thundurus is a very good lead. I wish he was more of a tank but that would be way to OP. Prankster thunder wave can cripple any Pokemon. Taunt is to destroy most lead while Electroweb and Flash Cannon are his attacks. I prefer Electroweb than thunderbolt for two reason. Electroweb slows the Pokemon while it hits both Pokemon. Flash cannon is mainly to prevent fairy. Red card is a extremely good item that can disorient the enemy's team order.

Scrafty as a General Tank/Lead
Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 192 HP / 100 Def / 216 SpD
Impish Nature
- Ice Punch
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Fake Out

Scrafty is one of my favorite Pokemon. From his quirky looks to his competitive use I love him. Scrafty has high defenses and can deal alright damage. Also his typing is very good. Scrafty can tank many hits even super effective hits. Never once have I seen him one hit. Scrafty provides the fake out so Thundurus can taunt. And if it is best that Thundurus does something else other than taunt than Scrafty can taunt. Super fang has been one of my favorite support moves. The damage is on point reliable. Finally ice punch is to kill most leads which are flying type.

All constructive criticism, comments, suggestions and questions are appreciated
Thank you

Attachments

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Hi there, welcome to Doubles! It's a great fun metagame, which is vastly different from Singles. As a result, there are some key issues with your team that should be applied ASAP in order to function better, and must be considered in future teams. By the way, Doubles is under the 'Doubles OU' tag and is to be posted in the Other Teams part of the RMT forums.

For a start, Protect is a very, very important move in Doubles. It should be on every single Pokemon save ones holding Assault Vest, Choice items. Though there are some exceptions (such as Kangaskhan and bulky support mons like Cresselia and Thundurus). This move is key in allowing your team to more easily deal with key threats, say by Protecting one while the other deals with a threat that the other cannot handle, or sets up some kind of support like speed control.

So for a quick fix, I would suggest these changes:

Blastoise: Yawn -> Protect
Like Yawn is cute, but I think Protect is key.
I would also suggest replacing Water Spout with another water type move like Water Pulse. This is because you do not have the redirection support necessary to allow a Water Spout blastoise to function.

Haxorus: Focus Energy -> Protect
Also Razor Claw -> Not Razor Claw. Try Life Orb or Choice Scarf.
Focus Energy shenanigens only SOMETIMES works with Kingdra. But besides that, wasting a whole turn to set it up, not worth it imo especially with how slow and frail haxorus is.
I'll be honest, I know nothing about Haxorus, besides the fact that it's not very good at all. It's got low speed, low defenses, and nothing to really differentiate from other picks. Why'd you choose it over other dragons? Like latios and hydreigon, heck even Garchomp who can run pretty much the same moveset?because it can hit Rotom? Kyurem can hit Rotom and a lot of other things. It was one of your first picks, so I don't see what kind of niche you might have picked it for. As is, I'm not convinced as to why you are running Haxorus, but without a proper explanation as to why you chose it in the first place I am hesitant to suggest a Pokemon to replace it with.

Haxorus is not often seen, for good reason. I know you want to be a hipster and be special but lets be real no (good) players care about what Pokemon you use if it's there for no good reason. Why are you using Haxorus in the first place? Why choose it over say Garchomp, who can arguable run the same moveset but better?

By the by, remove the term "Sweeper" from your vocabulary. This isn't Singles, there are a lot more factors to consider. Setting up is considerably much harder, and "sweeping" even more so. Call it a strong attacker or something. It holds a sword, not a broom.

Rotom: Confuse Ray -> Protect
Protect is much more valuable over the little bit of chance things going on with Confuse Ray. It's still a really slow mon, so you'll be getting hit by stuff before anything gets confused anyway ewww

Talonflame: Roost -> Tailwind/Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
Talonflame is far too frail to utilise Roost. I would suggest replacing it with one of these support moves.
Also, don't ever say "however because he is so overused that i might switch him..."
I understand your sentiments, you are a new player, and value the actual Pokemon itself more than what goes into a game. I used to be just like you just a year ago, but this is not the way to think if you want to build and play successful teams. If it's for a joke team, one that you won't be using seriously, then fine. But you are here posting an RMT, I am under the assumption that you with for this team to be competitive in the Doubles OU environment. If a Pokemon works fine, but is popular, that is NO reason to replace him. You can put niche Pokemon or moves in a team if it WORKS for the team, but if there's a better option then it is better to go for that instead. You are doing nothing but limiting yourself, and as mentioned before, no good player cares if you are a special snowflake. I would keep Talonflame, Staraptor offers nothing for your team imo.

Thundurus: Red Card -> Sitrus Berry
Red Card sounds great in theory, however Thundurus is the kind of mon that, imo, would want to stay in and spam everything with T-Wave as long as possible to be a great pest. However whether or not you are going to give it a Sitrus, I'd give it a bulkier spread, like the one that's in the analysis that allows it to live a Lando-T Stone Edge and Latios Draco:
244 HP/108 Def/64 SpA/72 SpD/20 Spe and Modest.
This gives you more staying power to be more annoying. I would have also suggested a more offensive spread with Life Orb, but judging by the moveset you gave Thundy, it seems you want him to be more of an annoyer than an attacker.

Scrafty: Leftovers -> Assault Vest or Lum Berry
Taunt -> Drain Punch
Leftovers is a bit of a subpar item on Scrafty imo. Leftovers in general isn't that great a pick in Doubles, because things die much quicker, the residual healing doesn't add up to much and it's really only best on Substitute sets since the gradual recovery is much more beneficial for them. Scrafty's best items in my opinion are Assault Vest or Lum Berry. Assault Vest because it makes it that much tankier, making up for its lack of special defense (mostly thanks to intimidates attack drop). Lum Berry because it is a very, very common target of burns, which usually make it next to useless.
Taunt is really MEH on such a slow Pokemon, you really want Taunt on faster or Prankster Pokemon. You also already have Taunt on Thundurus, and it's not worth taking up two whole move slots to Taunt. Not only that, but Scrafy has no stab, and Drain Punch is part of what makes Scrafty annoying! Without it, you have nothing to hit Kangaskhan hard off the bat.
If you give it a Lum Berry, I would suggest replacing one of its moves with Protect, either super fang or ice punch. That's another main draw to using non AV Scrafty.

For a last point, rating this team was rather difficult. The reasons you gave for picking Pokemon were extremely vague, and it did not give much insight. Either this means that you need to write more about why you did stuff, or you need to study more into teambuilding. Don't just slap Pokemon in because it's 'Common in OU' or 'Not Common in OU' or 'Oh I want a strong dude'.
You need to consider these when adding Pokemon to the team:
  • What threatens the team currently? A specific Pokemon? A team archetype (Rain, Sun, Trick Room)?
  • What Pokemon are good at handling said threat?
  • Does it's typing clash with my current Pokemon offensively? Defensively? What can it bring besides dealing with those Pokemon in extra coverage or utility?
  • Why am I choosing this Pokemon over other Pokemon? Is there a better choice?
  • Now, what threatens my team with this new Pokemon added in?
And just have that on repeat, until the team is complete, then take another look through, consider things like whether you have effective speed control, if too much of your team is too frail or too slow, not enough offensive pressure, if you have too much physical or special attackers. if it looks fine from a glance, or the issues don't seem too big, then put it into testing.
Similarly, you also need to consider your move choices on a Pokemon. For a start i would recommend just tossing in the 'standard' sets, and then modifying it if you team NEEDS it. Ask yourself why you are adding certain moves, because it is standard? If it's not standard, why are you deviating from the norm? Is it because your team needs a niche option in order to check a certain threat? You need more speed control? You find this coverage move more important than that coverage move? Why do you think that? All of these thinkgs are things you should consider when building a Pokemon, and ALSo what you should note down if you want to write a great RMT.

Finally, one more thing you should consider when writing an RMT is you should think about the times you've used this team. Have there been any particular things that have been hard to deal with? Note these down somewhere, and it will allow other users to look at the team and try to patch things in to help with those threats. You are the one most familiar with the team, so you are the only one who can give us the information we need to give a good rate.

Like, the team isn't terrible. And is quite frankly, not too bad for a first team. However, I think you need a change of mindset as well as more knowledge of the Doubles metagame before you can build a more successful team. For now, I highly suggest checking out the Viability Rankings. This is a great resource when teambuilding, I like to use it as a 'checklist' of sorts when I am building a team by going through the list, and seeing how my team handles each of those threats there. On the topic of that, being as new as you are, I highly encourage that, for now, you check out the Sample Teams thread and practice with one of those teams. These are great, solid teams that are relatively easy to use, and by using this it will allow you to ease yourself into the metagame better, thus the next time you build a team, you will be building with informed decisions. if you can, fight people in the Doubles OU room, as they are usually much, much better than people on the ladder. but obv you can't fight people in the room forever so yeah ladder etc. Similarly, if you have ANY questions at all, please, do not hestiate to ask the people in the room. I am usually on very often, so if you are a bit shy, you can ask me. because if you think I was harsh with how straightforward I was, you wouldn't want to touch the other guys with a 101 foot pole. Granted, they are very open and very friendly as long as you are willing to change and improve, and you can take a few fun jabs.

edit: i like ur name tho
Swibble \o
Swabble o/
Swibble Swabble \o/

edit edit: qsns said that its okay to touch him with a 101 foot pole

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Holy shit 13ulb is new head of doubles ou pr

Scraftyas a General Tank/Lead
Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 192 HP / 100 Def / 216 SpD
Impish Nature
- Ice Punch
- Super Fang
- Taunt
- Fake Out

I would generally recommend you run 252 hp and 252+ atk, 0 speed ivs, with brave
And the moveset should be drain punch, knock off, high jump kick, fake out

In a highly offensive meta like doubles ou you need all of your mons to be doing damage and being threats.

This means that, oftentimes, sets like "Roost Talonflame" are ineffective.

13ulb's analysis is definitely spot-on, but another thing I'd recommend is playing on the ladder a lot and keeping an eye out for weaknesses. Also it's important to be flexible with your team options. If a certain mon isn't pulling it's own weight, find replacements. Many players go through 5-20 versions of the same team before settling on a composition.

Also, if you ever need anything you can come down to the Smogon Doubles chatroom ^.^

O another thing I forgot to mention is that the Doubles OU Forum has loads of excellent, well-thought-out resources for getting competitive in the tier. There are loads of teambuilding frameworks, tips and tricks, general introductions, sample teams, etc.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
holy shit 13ulbasaur that was incredible

anyway Swibble Swabble you posted in the OU Teams forum when this should go in the Other Teams forum, so I've done you a favor and moved it to the proper place.

As much as I fucking love Haxorus, the unfortunate truth is that physical Dragon-types rarely succeed in Doubles OU. They're quite vulnerable to Intimidate users like Landorus-T, neutered by Will-o-Wisp, and tend to struggle far more against Steel-types like Aegislash and Ferrothorn. Hydreigon, one of the best Dragon-types in Doubles OU, can hit both hard with Dark Pulse and Fire Blast (should it carry it).

Also, as a quick rebuttal to checkmater75's point about teambuilding - many of my best teams only go through one or two changes before I settle on the "final" version, and for some reason or another I've been called "one of the best Doubles OU teambuilders" by that weird Stratos kid. Some people are great at building something and honing it to a point, but others (like me) kind of just get lucky. Or their revisions happen before they play a single match. I think I've seriously spent an hour in the teambuilding phase before. It's a dark place.

All of that said, welcome to Smogon, and I wish you the best of luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)