Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v4 [Volcarona Banned]

Shoutouts to Hisuian Lilligant and Venusaur being really problematic too. It was incredibly easy for them to land Sleep against other offensive threats under the Sun before they punched one or two holes in your team, maybe even sweeping it outright. Fast Sleep users in general were becoming a problem and I believe banning sleep was the right call, lest we start suspecting the other inevitable fast sleepers GameFreak will pump out in following Gens.
Granted sleep was a complicated problem. I didn't play too much over the 2-3 weeks it was super prevalent so I'm not making a massive stink about it, I didn't see it in action. I think I just have a preference with banning pokemon over mechanics, because I think we can all agree hypno, politoed and bronzong weren't breaking any hearts with hypnosis. Anyway I accept the decision no hard feeling here

Okay, one thing I find funny about roaring moon is that its first set included tera flying acrobatics, but that set was eventually written off as bad (from what I remember), but now it is it's most defining set. I know that it is because of knock off that set is powerful, but we have completed a full circle.

Iron Crown @ Assault Vest
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 16 HP / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Tachyon Cutter
- Future Sight
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

Shoutout to Srn and Mimikyu Stardust for the set.

This iron Crown set is pretty damn fun, though I have been struggling to find a good build to put it on. It plays like a more offensive version of Gking, having very nice 1v1 MUs vs a number of prominent staples like Kyurem, Hatterene, Glimmora, Deo-S, various Tera Fairy mons, and Archaludon (sometimes). This mon's higher speed and offensive power makes setting up a Future sight a bit easier vs certain targets like Kyurem IMO w/o being pressured to recover & the added chip damage from Volt Switch is nice to weaken even resist like Gholdengo a bit more. I'm running Tera Ghost since my team didn't have a spinblocker, but I think other Tera types like Tera Fighting, Tera Dark, or even tera stellar are generally better. This set does thud into a few mons, namely GKing, Ting-Lu, and Volcarona, so partners that can deal with these guys are ideal.

Timid Nature
- Tachyon Cutter
- Future Sight
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

This iron Crown set is pretty damn fun, though I have been struggling to find a good build to put it on. It plays like a more offensive version of Gking, having very nice 1v1 MUs vs a number of prominent staples like Kyurem, Hatterene, Glimmora, Deo-S, various Tera Fairy mons, and Archaludon (sometimes). This mon's higher speed and offensive power makes setting up a Future sight a bit easier vs certain targets like Kyurem IMO w/o being pressured to recover & the added chip damage from Volt Switch is nice to weaken even resist like Gholdengo a bit more. I'm running Tera Ghost since my team didn't have a spinblocker, but I think other Tera types like Tera Fighting, Tera Dark, or even tera stellar are generally better. This set does thud into a few mons, namely GKing, Ting-Lu, and Volcarona, so partners that can deal with these guys are ideal.
This is probably one of the better offensive checks to Archaludon there are assuming that Focus Blast hits. Tera Fighting Tera Blast might make it more reliable as an Archaludon check given Focus Blast's horrible accuracy. I can also see Tera Ground Tera Blast working as well if you want to smack Heatran, Kingambit, Gholdengo, Gouging Fire, Slowking-Galar, and Skeledirge hard. Most mons that can take a Draco Meteor well really don't enjoy taking Electro Shot, Flash Cannon, or Body Press, but Assault Vest Iron Crown can take every attack aside from Electro Shot really well.

Last edited:
Timid Nature
- Tachyon Cutter
- Future Sight
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast

This is probably a bad idea, but vaporeon looks like a good partner to this iron crown set. It not only can pass wishes, but can deal with Ting-Lu and Volcarona with STAB, while Glowking can potentially lose to shadow ball.
Besides that, wish support or grassy terrain looks like it will be necessary on this mon as it doesn't have recovery. Still, a great set.

This is probably a bad idea, but vaporeon looks like a good partner to this iron crown set. It not only can pass wishes, but can deal with Ting-Lu and Volcarona with STAB, while Glowking can potentially lose to shadow ball.
Besides that, wish support or grassy terrain looks like it will be necessary on this mon as it doesn't have recovery. Still, a great set.
Why not just alomomola as a water type wish passer as it has scald?

Why not just alomomola as a water type wish passer as it has scald?
Lol, I just kinda forget about it. I tend not to use alomomola because it is passive, but it would be a better option. I have multiple times skipped over it as a wish passer because of that, so my mind just said "Vaporeon is the best water type wish passer" when looking at the counters lmao.

wait, hang on. didn't you want rillaboom and stored power banned in dlc1 because they made stall "unviable"? you even compared rillaboom to chi-yu. but now you're perfectly fine with a mon that's actually comparable in damage output to chi-yu and 6-0s stall on preview? your mind is very interesting
Gouging Fire does not 6-0 stall on preview at all, stored power should still be banned nothing to do with stall in fact it's a dogshit component of the game for all archetypes and also stall like all other playstyles has (annoying) ways to answer it, and the way rillaboom blasts through "checks" is in fact similar to the way chi yu did the same and that was the crux of the "comparing" I was doing that has incensed you so, and Rillaboom is fine now thanks to Volcarona being in the tier, and I maintain what I said that Rillaboom's presence made post Gliscor DLC1 one of the most dogshit tiers of all time. There are ways to change that beyond a Rillaboom ban, as we saw 2 months ago, but I maintain what I said. Not how you interpreted it necessarily, but what I said.

But either way, maybe you should respond to the comment of mine you're actually replying to and not a badly paraphrased version of things I've said 3 months ago (: in fact I don't even understand why you're being so weirdly condescending about me sharing my experience that I originally was worried gouging was too much for the tier but overall haven't really seen it perform in an alarming way as time has passed. I'm not even like dead set on this viewpoint nor was I remotely emphatic so I really don't understand why you're conducting yourself this way instead of staying on topic and maintaining respect

Gouging Fire does not 6-0 stall on preview at all, stored power should still be banned nothing to do with stall in fact it's a dogshit component of the game for all archetypes and also stall like all other playstyles has (annoying) ways to answer it, and the way rillaboom blasts through "checks" is in fact similar to the way chi yu did the same and that was the crux of the "comparing" I was doing that has incensed you so, and Rillaboom is fine now thanks to Volcarona being in the tier, and I maintain what I said that Rillaboom's presence made post Gliscor DLC1 one of the most dogshit tiers of all time. There are ways to change that beyond a Rillaboom ban, as we saw 2 months ago, but I maintain what I said. Not how you interpreted it necessarily, but what I said.

But either way, maybe you should respond to the comment of mine you're actually replying to and not a badly paraphrased version of things I've said 3 months ago (: in fact I don't even understand why you're being so weirdly condescending about me sharing my experience that I originally was worried gouging was too much for the tier but overall haven't really seen it perform in an alarming way as time has passed. I'm not even like dead set on this viewpoint nor was I remotely emphatic so I really don't understand why you're conducting yourself this way instead of staying on topic and maintaining respect
TBH CB protosynthesis max attack adamant Gouging can break through dondozo.

Hoopla with AV is actually kinda fire. Sure, it crumples to a single physical attack but walling most specials without a second thought is addicting. In the exact same way that Iron Hands walling them is.

Roaring Moon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 32 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Are you tired of losing games to +2 Volcarona or +1 Speed Roaring Moon? Does your Sun team hate Iron Boulder? Might I introduce you to Scarf Roaring Moon. Under the Sun and with a Choice Scarf in tow, Roaring Moon outpaces things that it otherwise wouldn't be able to like Scarf Meowscarada or the aforementioned Volcarona and Iron Boulder. Tera Dragon is needed in order to buff Outrage, as otherwise you can't OHKO Tera Flying Moon and even fail to do so vs any Iron Boulder variants. It's quite sad, honestly.

TBH CB protosynthesis max attack adamant Gouging can break through dondozo.
The only semblance of a chance Stall has against Tera Fire Goug is Tera Watering their Gliscor and clicking Toxic to hopefully put it on a timer. Which is an absolute non-factor if you apply one of the Psychic / Fairies for Wish / Healing Wish support in Scream Tail or Hatterene respectively.

Hoopla with AV is actually kinda fire. Sure, it crumples to a single physical attack but walling most specials without a second thought is addicting. In the exact same way that Iron Hands walling them is.
Provided you have a Helmet user to punish U-Turn attempts, I think it can and does work wonders. The 160/170 offenses are really just icing on the cake, you're almost always guaranteed to trade something at worst and potentially demolish entire balance teams at best.

Roaring Moon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 32 HP / 220 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Outrage
- Iron Head
- U-turn

Are you tired of losing games to +2 Volcarona or +1 Speed Roaring Moon? Does your Sun team hate Iron Boulder? Might I introduce you to Scarf Roaring Moon. Under the Sun and with a Choice Scarf in tow, Roaring Moon outpaces things that it otherwise wouldn't be able to like Scarf Meowscarada or the aforementioned Volcarona and Iron Boulder. Tera Dragon is needed in order to buff Outrage, as otherwise you can't OHKO Tera Flying Moon and even fail to do so vs any Iron Boulder variants. It's quite sad, honestly.
I find Booster Speed roaring moon to be better, as at +1, it can outspeed even swift swim barra under rain. It does lack power compared to booster attack, but it's sweeping potential is insane if the enemy is chipped.

I find Booster Speed roaring moon to be better, as at +1, it can outspeed even swift swim barra under rain. It does lack power compared to booster attack, but it's sweeping potential is insane if the enemy is chipped.
Notably, you do become stuffed by Dondozo, unlike Proto Atk Roaring Moon who can threaten a 3HKO with Acrobatics jesus christ

other than that though I think you shred every other relevant mon as per usual

Notably, you do become stuffed by Dondozo, unlike Proto Atk Roaring Moon who can threaten a 3HKO with Acrobatics jesus christ

other than that though I think you shred every other relevant mon as per usual
On my team, I use protective pads meowscarada, which I can use as a dondozo counter, and assault vest azumarill, which is my wallbreaker. They all have knock off, which means half my team is composed of knock off mons. Because dondozo and walls are taken care of, that means proto speed is the better option to take care of offensive mons.

I just dropped in to say that I'm amused how Kyurem apparently has such a close vote after I made a big deal that I didn't care if it was banned or not. Is the community as apathetic about it as I am or are we just that closely divided?

To keep this from being a one liner, I'm all for the Arch suspect. We all knew it was coming, right? But how many bans do people think we are ultimately going to need? Kyurem is a maybe. Arch is a most likely. And then what? Roaring Moon again is the flavor of the day? That's probably at least 3. Will we reach 5 more? 7 more? 10? I'm just asking. How many bans do people think the tier is going to need with this latest DLC?

I just dropped in to say that I'm amused how Kyurem apparently has such a close vote after I made a big deal that I didn't care if it was banned or not. Is the community as apathetic about it as I am or are we just that closely divided?

To keep this from being a one liner, I'm all for the Arch suspect. We all knew it was coming, right? But how many bans do people think we are ultimately going to need? Kyurem is a maybe. Arch is a most likely. And then what? Roaring Moon again is the flavor of the day? That's probably at least 3. Will we reach 5 more? 7 more? 10? I'm just asking. How many bans do people think the tier is going to need with this latest DLC?
I'd say that we need up to 6 bans, depending on what people think is broken. We've got Kyurem, Roaring Moon, Archaludon, Gouging Fire, Kingambit and Gholdengo. I believe that only 4 of these should go, I don't think Arch or Gouging are broken, but others think otherwise. Technically not a lot, compared to previous SV metagames.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 22)