Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Claw by itself feels wholly uncompetitive due to the fact that it completely ignores speed tiers in favor of priority tiers. It gives you a free +1, so for your opponent to smack you before you smack them, they need to do one of three things;
1. Be faster than you, and use a priority move of the same level (Quick Attack, Aqua Jet, Prankster boosted moves, etc.),
2. Use a move of HIGHER priority (Sucker Punch, Extreme Speed, etc.),
3. Use their own Quick Claw/Custap Berry and be faster than you.
As I’ve been saying, custap/qc don’t give you +1 priority, they place you at the top of your move’s priority bracket. Using a non-priority move (for example, close combat) with quick claw would place that move at the top of priority bracket 0, where all standard moves lie. Any priority move would beat quick claw in this scenario, as they are placed in priority bracket 1 which always beats quick claw due to how the mechanics work.
Also, for clarity, sucker punch only has +1 priority, not +2. I do not care if people want quick claw banned or not, but I don’t want their opinion to be based on false info. Quick claw doesn’t give any priority, it effectively gives you more speed than your opponent for 1 turn. That’s it.

Slowking-Galar @ Leftovers/Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Dark/Grass
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Block
- Toxic
- Slack Off
- Eerie Spell/Chilly Reception
Tox trapper glowking. Run eerie spell if you don’t want to get fucked by taunt and want to delete the opponent’s pp. Run Chilly Reception if you REALLY Need a good pivot. Terastallize Dark to counter Dark and Ghost types, or Terastallize Grass to Counter EQ and powder moves.
This set is fun as people don’t expect it. Try it out!

As I’ve been saying, custap/qc don’t give you +1 priority, they place you at the top of your move’s priority bracket. Using a non-priority move (for example, close combat) with quick claw would place that move at the top of priority bracket 0, where all standard moves lie. Any priority move would beat quick claw in this scenario, as they are placed in priority bracket 1 which always beats quick claw due to how the mechanics work.
Also, for clarity, sucker punch only has +1 priority, not +2. I do not care if people want quick claw banned or not, but I don’t want their opinion to be based on false info. Quick claw doesn’t give any priority, it effectively gives you more speed than your opponent for 1 turn. That’s it.
Look, I know misinformation is quite often a problem, but I literally addressed it in the post before yours. I am sorry I got it wrong, and I am not trying to spread misinformation, but I've always understood QC to be a priority enabler due to making the equipped mon move before the opponent -- ala priority moves.
As for Sucker, I could've sworn it was also +2. Priority brackets are fuckin' weird. Half of the moves don't make any sense what so ever. This is probably why I'm an unqualified pleb.

Look, I know misinformation is quite often a problem, but I literally addressed it in the post before yours. I am sorry I got it wrong, and I am not trying to spread misinformation, but I've always understood QC to be a priority enabler due to making the equipped mon move before the opponent -- ala priority moves.
As for Sucker, I could've sworn it was also +2. Priority brackets are fuckin' weird. Half of the moves don't make any sense what so ever. This is probably why I'm an unqualified pleb.
Sorry how that came off, this is just the third time I’ve had to correct this lol. Your second post hadn’t even loaded by the time I finished typing it up

Sorry how that came off, this is just the third time I’ve had to correct this lol. Your second post hadn’t even loaded by the time I finished typing it up
I understand the frustration. Needing to parrot yourself multiple times is supremely annoying. I will openly admit that I have the memory of a goldfish 90% of the time. It's a wonder how I function at all, lol.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Preview doesn't change the fact that mons can just pick counters regardless of knowledge foretold

Take, for example, flying gambit versus a team with ice spinner tusk. Instead of it being a clear eq or cc, it's a dangerous 50/50 for the tusk player because click eq into the new airplane gambit and you lose, and click spinner into a still steel gambit and it just resets itself.

This is the fundamental problem.
This is the second time I've read this silliness, and I had to reread to make sure I'm accurate when I say that. That "clear eq or cc" that you speak of? Wouldn't that result in a clear loss of a Great Tusk? Because you wouldn't even know if Gambit is Tera Flying, would not have seen it coming, and would click the "clear" move just to get hit with Tera Flying?

You are in that exact same 50/50 that you speak of right now, except it's not a 50/50 because the Gambit holds the cards.

I don't grasp how you're disagreeing with him. That's exact point he's making - that tera still results in noncompetitive 50/50s tera preview or not. Except now you can't even surprise an offensive mon with a weird tera type, but for the most part offensive mons abuse of tera is left intact.

Y'know what? I looked at some of the calcs between my AV Kingambit set, and a new Eviolite Bisharp set... Aside from the obvious, absurd lack of HP pool, I think I kind of want to try out the theory of "Eviolite Bisharp could be just as good as Kingambit".

I looked at some preliminary calcs for my Gambit vs various Pult sets, and this new Bisharp set vs various Pult sets... The only MAJOR discrepency between the two is the matchup vs Specs, where the damage difference is far greater than against any other Pult set. However, the question then remains... What do I want my four moves to be?

For those curious, this is where my current Bisharp set draft is:

:bisharp: (Checkmate) @ Eviolite
Adamant Nature | Tera Flying
Defiant
136 HP / 252 Atk / 120 SpDef
Night Slash
Iron Head
Low Kick
Sucker Punch

The idea behind this set is to aim for similar stats to my Kingambit's set; (Adamant, 124 HP / 252 Atk / 132 Speed, nets me a stat range of 372/369/276/156/206/169) With Bisharp's base speed being 70 instead of Gambit's 50, I no longer need to invest into Speed to reach my golden number of 169. (169 allows you to beat uninvested Skeledirge and lower speed tier Pokemon.) With the 132 Speed EVs freed up, I shifted them into SpDef (120 EVs hits 206 SpDef, same value as Kingambit) and HP (sadly 136 EVs on base 65 is nowhere near the same as 124 EVs on base 100.) However, with Eviolite, I get the same SpDef bulk as AV Gambit, but with better physical defense. (Gambit's 276 vs Eviolite Bisharp's 354.) This combination allows Bisharp to actually sponge a good few hits before crumpling over.
However, without Knock Off, or Kowtow Cleave, we're forced to use Night Slash over them. Sucker is still useful for priority, ala AV Gambit's style... But you still have Swords Dance, Taunt, Stealth Rock, and even Tera Blast for options.

I'll have to play around with this using one of my other teams featuring Kingambit, but with Bisharp subbed in instead, and see how it plays out.

I don't grasp how you're disagreeing with him. That's exact point he's making - that tera still results in noncompetitive 50/50s tera preview or not. Except now you can't even surprise an offensive mon with a weird tera type, but for the most part offensive mons abuse of tera is left intact.
How is that the point? First off, dude frames it as a problem for the tusk player, not the Kingambit - the tusk player is the one doing the 50/50. It's states that, and I quote "it's a dangerous 50/50 for the Tusk player", instead of the "clear eq or cc". In other words, knowing the tera type took the player from not knowing (and clicking a very bad move) to now knowing, and being in a 50/50.

Even without Tera preview, if Kingambit player knows that Tusk has Ice Spinner (might have been used earlier) he has a hell of a lot more info to go with than the Tusk player, who can only guess at Schroeder's Gambit. I would much rather know ahead of time that Gambit has flying, and be forced into the "50/50", than...not knowing that I even have the option for Ice Spinner.

I'm not for or against tera preview (I'm down for any anti tera action tho), but these are not good examples against it.

The thing I fundamentally disagree with this post is that my issue with Quick Claw is on principle, and a consistent definition of competitiveness. If Quick Claw was not used at all, I'd still want it banned. I want Focus Band gone, for instance, an item I've literally never seen be used on Smogon before. Because I see this as just an active improvement on the game.

I believe that your style of tiering is the absolute worst type of tiering. In my opinion, unabashedly biased tiering will always be better. Having an actual vision for what should occur in a metagame/design rather than just "It isn't 'problematic'" leads to an overall better good. Sure, not everyone likes Gen 8 OU, but the people that don't like Gen 8 OU probably like Gen 7 OU. I hate Gen 5 OU, but it has its lovers, and that is much better in the overall scheme of "Smogon" than if we tried to make every generation a very generalist view on tiering. This has only been accomplished by the people deciding in retrospect what makes these tiers, these tiers.

Let me rant a bit to show a point, and I promise it will wrap back around, thanks.

Gen 5 OU is in my opinion, a horribly run tier if you want a "balanced metagame" in my view, most teamstyles automatically require like 4 slots to be taken of the bat. But the tier does have an identity, which is this polarization. Your Latios Draco Meteors, Rain-boosted Keldeo Hydro Pumps, Hidden Power scouting because the same like 5 threats are required to be checked by x Pokemon for a team. This has led to Gen 5 OU always having a very unique identity while still being competitive enough to be played in tournaments. And notice how none of this required Sand Veil to be there.

This view of RNG is trying to equate very different things. Scald can be viewed as a major buff, en masse, to bulky Waters, helping Balance teams. This gives it competitive value, no matter how you try to stretch that.

Oh, throw Surf on Slowking? Okay, so now it's just a worse Pokemon. And that is not because it is fishing for an inconsistent burn. Something people tend to get wrong in these discussions is how these things actually play out.

In effect, yes, avoiding using a physical attack on Kartana against a Zapdos is competitive, and able to be played around. Because in the gran scheme of a game that isn't fucking HO vs HO, where Kartana will be sent out several times, and Zapdos will probably live, it is almost a guaranteed chance that Zapdos will get the paralysis. This makes Static a "RNG" ability, but it is also, at the same time, competitively consistent.

Here is an example from Toxapex. Staying in on 0 Attack Landorus-T and using Scald. Even if this does not burn, this play is not fully fueled by "risking it all on a 30% chance", as the Toxapex player is confident that they will be able to rack up Regenerator healing and be able to do something similar, again. This and other examples especially makes Scald, not in effect about RNG, but actually competitively consistent.

You say that individual Pokemon should be banned for King's Rock, like Cloyster. When would King's Rock finally reach that barrier of "breaking enough Pokemon"? And I'd like to also say this: Cloyster, the Pokemon itself, has competitive value. Being an option on teams even without King's Rock, or in lower tiers. King's Rock, however, does not actually add any value to a tier like Gen 8 OU. It is also not consistent enough, because playing around King's Rock flinch is not something that can be played around from Turn 1. Cloyster cannot generally fish over and over again, making a check like physically defensive Toxapex a "well lol, lmao, get fucked because didn't teambuild!", it is usually down to one single turn for the opponent to make a move, and for most viable teams, needs to just not get flinched.

You could argue that banning Cloyster would get rid of the majority of this. I would mostly agree, but why keep King's Rock? It is an item that is only there to be abused and become an uncompetitive force, what value does it add to any Smogon tier? You may say "well, duh, to buff Cloyster/Maushold/etc.!" But that isn't the only thing that it does, it also enables unsavory playstyles and has potential.

In short, I find your argument to not be sound, from the perspective of: Game design. I feel like people in Smogon forums and the like often do not understand, that at the end of the day,

Smogon 6v6 Singles is not the same game as Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. And Smogon acts as a collective game designer. A game designer that cannot create new elements, but actively makes decisions that changes the game and influences different play. Banning Volcarona was not a decision the council made just because they felt it was uncompetitive, but it was a game design decision, a metagame design decision, believing Volcarona's defensive utility on teams to not be worth the potential trouble for upcoming tournaments.

As a community we must not forget that we hold the keys collectively to the game design of what we want to play, and that choosing to keep things like Quick Claw/King's Rock is not a neutral game design choice, it is biased, with the language of neutrality. You have decided that keeping things for the sake of keeping things is more worthwhile to the game, than patching up potentially uncompetitive- no, objectively uncompetitive elements.

On the topic of "holding an item = competitiveness", no. Things such as picking an ability (Sand Veil) is also not a competitive choice, despite being technically a trade-off. Garchomp is actively better on average with Rough Skin, and choosing Sand Veil instead is not enough to make something competitive, because it is consistency that makes something uncompetitive.

I've heard some float around the idea that items (like Scope Lens) that increase the odds of RNG-related effects from occurring are also in the category of uncompetitive. I absolutely disagree, because I see these as creating more consistent results, rather than the otherwise. For instance, Scope Lens + an ability like Sniper makes Critical Hits an expected result throughout a game, and not something that is expected. I would go as far as to argue that things such as Serene Grace actively make moves such as Flamethrower more competitive. Because I am here to present this conclusion:

Competitiveness and RNG's relationship is about expectation and agency.

It is not simply "the more RNG effects the more bad uncompetitive" that makes something like Quick Claw banworthy to me, it's that it removes agency from the opposing player while something like Serene Grace is not.

Getting flinched by Jirachi Iron Head a few times is not Serene Grace making the game less competitive, because that is actively the expected result of the interaction, and can be played around as a result, and unlike something like Quick Claw, can actively unironically be stopped. For one, a Pokemon like Ferrothorn can literally kill something like Scarf Jirachi for trying a stunt like that. Two, if not Scarf, it can be outsped. Three, what makes Shaymin-Sky banworthy isn't "RNG", it's actually how consistent it is at proc'ing effects that removes the opponent's agency.

Quick Claw being 20% and having such a drastic effect means that there is no real way to actively combat it, while also not being consistent enough to make matchups consistent. This isn't a situation of "Kartana uses Smart Strike and if the opponent goes into Zapdos, it can get paralyzed 30% of the time, this is something the Kartana player must avoid." It's "I can revenge kill this Pokemon, or it can 20% of the time kill my Pokemon back instead, without me even being able to get a turn."

I'd go as far as to argue a Quick Claw with a 100% chance of going faster than an opponent in the same priority bracket, would actually make the item more competitive. Because it would be consistent, so you'd just know that it will occur. Yes this would probably get banned, but that would not make it uncompetitive, just overpowered, which is not the same thing.

So, again. What is the game design reason to keep an item like Quick Claw as is? It is not consistent enough to be something you can reasonably expect a player to, turn by turn, with most teams, punish, or play around. Ursaluna at +2 is going to kill most Pokemon, especially in a Hyper Offensive meta. Will we ban any bulky Attacker because it would be viable on these Pokemon?

Or is Quick Claw just an undesirable item for a competitive metagame?

Last thing:

You seem to suggest in your post that Evasion is special. It isn't. A 20% chance to move ahead of the opponent has almost the exact same practical effect of removing agency of the other player on an inconsistent basis of luck. Quick Claw is not that different from evasion in how it is played, or designed. You are moving before the opponent in order to not allow them to attack you, when otherwise they should be able to.

Fun fact, Quick Claw has seen more success in Gen 9 OU than Evasion, Baton Pass, King's Rock and more combined in Freedom Cup.

With that, I'ma go, spent long enough writing this.

that's probably because freedom cup is only about a week older than the quick claw discussion. also because nobody actually plays it. you know, because of evasion, and baton pass, and king's rock
not only were evasion, baton pass and king's rock not very good but I promise you as someone who spent like 3 hours, embarassingly just watching top level freedom cup battles, it is literally just

kingambit
flutter mane / iron bundle
basculegion (with last respects)
dragonite
samurott hisui / pelipper / glimmora
urshifu

and any time someone used shit like baton pass espathra they just auto lost to kingambit + dnite, and evasion took too long to setup

imma take this second post opportunity to also congratulate Gen 4 OU, which banned quick claw early last week, and there is no major backlash. because when quick claw is banned, no one will actually care, in a good way.

Last edited:
not only were evasion, baton pass and king's rock not very good but I promise you as someone who spent like 3 hours, embarassingly just watching top level freedom cup battles, it is literally just

kingambit
flutter mane / iron bundle
basculegion (with last respects)
dragonite
samurott hisui / pelipper
last mon

and any time someone used shit like baton pass espathra they just auto lost to kingambit + dnite, and evasion took too long to setup
oh.

that's actually even worse somehow

I can't, there's literally no way all my teams have volc now that it's missing I feel like I experienced Heartbreak again bro volc is my fav mon and plus tera is the problem obviously there is too many tera abusers
Sorry to hear that man, we're all in this together. I would suggest playing Ubers, or maybe another Generation OU meta that Volcarona is valid in (5,6,7,8). Hopefully down the line we get a retest. Might be a while tho.

One mon tera + tera preview I don't know if that's enough tera is stupid I hate it ik I'm parroting what others said but it's been a horrible couple of days without using Volcarona I can't take it anymore
That's because it still doesn't solve anything. All this does it lower the probability from 6 Pokémon to 1. Tera still has the same affects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)