Monotype Surfin' (Water Monotype)

Seo.

Nice guys always finish last...
Surfin'

Heres my 3rd Monotype RMT featuring a Water Team i built

Wanted to build a team with Mega Gyarados since its my preference of mega on water and its a great set up sweeper
Volcanion helps out with the Grass Matchup and has a great movepool, with specs it can OHKO/2HKO almost everything
Keldeo is a great addition to this team, it helps with types such as Normal, Ice and Dark. It is generally a great special attacker and good set up sweeper.
Azumarill is an amazing physical attacker, Choice Band + Huge Power + Adamant hits really hard and threatens many pokemon.
Lastly, i added Tentacruel and Swampert. Swampert is immune to electric and sets up Stealth Rocks where as Tentacruel resists grass moves and is my hazard removal.

The Team

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Gyarados is my mega of preference on water so i decided to use this as my base, Gyarados is generally a great set up sweeper and has the potential to single handily sweep Psychic. I run Dragon Dance just to set up and increase both its speed and its attack. Substitute is generally to avoid hazards and gives you a free turn to either set up or attack. Crunch and Waterfall are both great STAB making Gyarados's role as a sweeper easier.

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Bomb

Volcanion is a great special attacker, its typing allows it to be great in the Grass-type matchup. Its movepool can be very diverse and Choice Specs allows it to increase its total damage output potential. I use Steam Eruption because its Volcanions best Water STAB with 110 power and 30% chance to burn. I like Fire Blast over Flamethrower because it can easily OHKO/2HKO anything that doesnt resist it, and even if something does resist, it can dent it nicely. HP Grass is to check bulky Water/Ground types such as Seismitoad, Swampert and Gastrodon. Sludge Bomb is good coverage although other options could be Earth Power, Focus Blast or Rock Slide.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Keldeo is a great special attacker and is great against many matchups. I chose to use Substitute + Calm Mind over Choice Specs/Scarf because my team already has 2 Choiced users and id rather have a better variety. Substitute works great with Calm Mind as it prevents status and allows you to scout your opponents move, also getting in a Substitute allows you to either get in a free set up or a free attack. Scald and Secret Sword are just basic STAB.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Azumarills physical attacking abilities are amazing, Choice Band + Huge Power + Adamant + Max Attack Investment can dent almost everything. Choice Band is to maximize its total damage output along with the increase in nature + ability. Aqua Jet is good STAB plus priority, allows you to revenge kill weakened mons. Play Rough is aswell great STAB and OHKOs almost every Dragon, Fighting and Dark. Superpower is goo coverage for the Steel, Normal and Ice match-up and Knock Off helps vs item dependent mons such as Pory2 and Chansey as well as Psychic and Ghost types in general.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 248 HP / 244 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Acid Spray

Tentacruel helps out my team with hazards aswell as provides Toxic Spikes, not much to say about Tentacruel other then Scald is a good STAB with a chance to burn and Acid Spray wears down some mons special defense. 16 Spe EVs is to outspeed Adamant base 70s such as Breloom and Bisharp.

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Swampert is a great addition to this team as it is immune to electric. It can also provide Stealth Rocks which can break sashes and take lil damage from some mons in order for the sweepers to clean easier. Scald and Earthquake are just basic STAB and Roar is to get rid of opposing set up sweepers. Its plays a pretty basic role but its great defensive support for the team

Ill add some in later

Gyarados @ Gyaradosite
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Waterfall

Volcanion @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Sludge Bomb

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
- Knock Off

Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes
- Acid Spray

Swampert @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Roar

Vid

Our life is what our thoughts make it
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
The team is overall solid but a couple changes need to be considered
  • The current spread on Azumarill does nothing for Choice Banded Azumarill nor does have the move to abuse the speed for the intneed Pokemon that 164 or 212 Speed Azumarill needs to be successful. Two ways to go around this issue EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe > EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe and with this change Superpower should be replaced for Aqua Tail. Looking at your team the Pokemon that Superpower hits hard are Ferrothorn and Chansey which you already have checks to those already. Aqua Tail allows you to 2 Hit KO Physically defnesive Skarmory on the switch-in and effectively outspeed it with 164 Speed EV's.
  • The other way to fixing the current Azumarill set is changing the current EVs to maximize Azumarill's bulk while outspeeding base 60's such as Clefable. EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe > EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe. With change I'd also replace Superpower for Waterfall, like I said beforeSuperpower is not a great fit and doesn't add anything to the team
Also quick note the team is very weak to Thundurus specifically Grass Knot Thundurus. I can't really patch up the weakness without changing the defensive core of the team by replacing Swampert with Empoleon and replacing Tentacruel with Lanturn. I didn't recommend those changes because they changed the purpose of the team.
Also there is a Monotype Tag for RMTs you should use it
Anyways here are the sets and good luck
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Seo.

The team is overall solid but a couple changes need to be considered
  • The current spread on Azumarill does nothing for Choice Banded Azumarill nor does have the move to abuse the speed for the intneed Pokemon that 164 or 212 Speed Azumarill needs to be successful. Two ways to go around this issue EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe > EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe and with this change Superpower should be replaced for Aqua Tail. Looking at your team the Pokemon that Superpower hits hard are Ferrothorn and Chansey which you already have checks to those already. Aqua Tail allows you to 2 Hit KO Physically defnesive Skarmory on the switch-in and effectively outspeed it with 164 Speed EV's.
  • The other way to fixing the current Azumarill set is changing the current EVs to maximize Azumarill's bulk while outspeeding base 60's such as Clefable. EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe > EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe. With change I'd also replace Superpower for Waterfall, like I said beforeSuperpower is not a great fit and doesn't add anything to the team
Also quick note the team is very weak to Thundurus specifically Grass Knot Thundurus. I can't really patch up the weakness without changing the defensive core of the team by replacing Swampert with Empoleon and replacing Tentacruel with Lanturn. I didn't recommend those changes because they changed the purpose of the team.
Also there is a Monotype Tag for RMTs you should use it
Anyways here are the sets and good luck
Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Tail
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
Thanks! I'll test these sets out and edit my thread accordingly.

Sabella

formerly Booty
is a Tournament Directoris a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Past WCoP Champion
Cool looking team but one thing I noticed is that you have two sub set up mons which is a bit unnecessary. Also looking at your team its pretty bulky and could use a good revenge killer so my advice is to change keldeo to scarf so you revenge pokemon like scarf kyurem black which would be a huge threat to your team and revenging serperior which you are 6-0d by atm. It also gives you a revenge killer for grass knot thundurus which also would be a huge problem for your team. Otherwise I like the build of this team and i would probably use it myself which is not something i normally do lol. The wallbreaking core of azu and volcanion are super great at wearing down keldeo and gyarados checks respectively with either gyarados being able to set up and sweep in the late game or keldeo coming in and cleaning up the scraps after. With the addition of t spikes for the passive damage is also a great idea. The keldeo set i would use for scarf would be sword hydro scald and icy wind. The other thing i would do is change sludge bomb > sludge wave on volcanion as it is more powerful. With these changes I would keep superpower on azu to wear down normal monos and help surprise and chip away at ferrothorn. While you also do look a bit weak to grass monos theres not much to solve that unless you change substitute on gyarados to bounce which i think would help if u got a set up opportunity late in a match.

Seo.

Cool looking team but one thing I noticed is that you have two sub set up mons which is a bit unnecessary. Also looking at your team its pretty bulky and could use a good revenge killer so my advice is to change keldeo to scarf so you revenge pokemon like scarf kyurem black which would be a huge threat to your team and revenging serperior which you are 6-0d by atm. It also gives you a revenge killer for grass knot thundurus which also would be a huge problem for your team. Otherwise I like the build of this team and i would probably use it myself which is not something i normally do lol. The wallbreaking core of azu and volcanion are super great at wearing down keldeo and gyarados checks respectively with either gyarados being able to set up and sweep in the late game or keldeo coming in and cleaning up the scraps after. With the addition of t spikes for the passive damage is also a great idea. The keldeo set i would use for scarf would be sword hydro scald and icy wind. The other thing i would do is change sludge bomb > sludge wave on volcanion as it is more powerful. With these changes I would keep superpower on azu to wear down normal monos and help surprise and chip away at ferrothorn. While you also do look a bit weak to grass monos theres not much to solve that unless you change substitute on gyarados to bounce which i think would help if u got a set up opportunity late in a match.
Ayy thanks man, ill test out these changes and change up my thread.

Confluxx [Old]

Banned deucer.
The team looks pretty good and it's already gotten two rates, but I have a few things to add on that you might like:

• Choice Specs --> RestTalk ; A RestTalk set walls threats such as Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y and overall helps its longevity which is very useful in certain matchups such as against Grass. Although you have Tentacruel to switch in on Mega Charizard Y pretty well, it can't do much damage in return and it's gonna get whittled down pretty fast due to its lack of reliable recovery. Although Choice Specs Volcanion 2HKOs Mega Venusaur, if it wants to switch in it has to take Giga Drain or a Sludge Bomb which is going to do a good amount of damage and has a 30% chance to poison, and if Stealth Rock are up, Volcanion is going to be almost dead. With this set you can deal with Grass-types, notably Breloom thanks to Sleep Talk, as well as other threats more consistently.
  • SubCM --> Choice Specs ; After changing Volcanion to RestTalk, you're now missing a special wallbreaker. Keldeo is a great option for that and a Choice Specs set is better on Water-type teams for immediate power and wallbreaking capabilities. As Sabella said, you don't need two setup 'mons with Substitute.
  • Toxic Spikes / Acid Spray --> Sludge Bomb ; Serperior looks like a pretty big threat to this team. Because of Contrary, Acid Spray is gonna boost its SpD instead of lower it, so I recommend Sludge Bomb over Toxic Spikes or Acid Spray so you have something to deal with this threat.
Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 / 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Acid Spray / Toxic Spikes

Hope this helped, good luck with the team!

Seo.

The team looks pretty good and it's already gotten two rates, but I have a few things to add on that you might like:

• Choice Specs --> RestTalk ; A RestTalk set walls threats such as Mega Venusaur, Mega Charizard Y and overall helps its longevity which is very useful in certain matchups such as against Grass. Although you have Tentacruel to switch in on Mega Charizard Y pretty well, it can't do much damage in return and it's gonna get whittled down pretty fast due to its lack of reliable recovery. Although Choice Specs Volcanion 2HKOs Mega Venusaur, if it wants to switch in it has to take Giga Drain or a Sludge Bomb which is going to do a good amount of damage and has a 30% chance to poison, and if Stealth Rock are up, Volcanion is going to be almost dead. With this set you can deal with Grass-types, notably Breloom thanks to Sleep Talk, as well as other threats more consistently.
  • SubCM --> Choice Specs ; After changing Volcanion to RestTalk, you're now missing a special wallbreaker. Keldeo is a great option for that and a Choice Specs set is better on Water-type teams for immediate power and wallbreaking capabilities. As Sabella said, you don't need two setup 'mons with Substitute.
  • Toxic Spikes / Acid Spray --> Sludge Bomb ; Serperior looks like a pretty big threat to this team. Because of Contrary, Acid Spray is gonna boost its SpD instead of lower it, so I recommend Sludge Bomb over Toxic Spikes or Acid Spray so you have something to deal with this threat.
Volcanion @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 / 4 SpA / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind

Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Sludge Bomb
- Acid Spray / Toxic Spikes

Hope this helped, good luck with the team!
Thanks bro, will definitely test these out

on that note ima tag scpinion to add to hub

I agree in changing Keldeo to scarf but i tested the team and i like the double choice with scarf keldeo being able to speed check many things that would role through this team.
One last thing that i'm sorry to bring up cause i have no way to counter it i tired a couple different things but galvantula 6 O's this team if it has giga drain.

Seo.

I agree in changing Keldeo to scarf but i tested the team and i like the double choice with scarf keldeo being able to speed check many things that would role through this team.
One last thing that i'm sorry to bring up cause i have no way to counter it i tired a couple different things but galvantula 6 O's this team if it has giga drain.
ya galvantula is defiantly problematic, ill think of things to help out vs it, thx for bringing it up :)

Hey really cool team Rimz, I have a couple suggestions about your team's defensive backbone :P

I'm running a somewhat similar team right now, with specs Volcanion and Band Azumarill. Both of these threats really benefit from a slow pivot like Lanturn, who can bring them in safely. Lanturn would also provides your team some speed control (since you're scarf-less) and cleric support in case you Gyarados catches a stray scald burn or Volcanion gets paralyzed.

I would run it over Tentacruel, as most of your mons don't need toxic support to wear down checks. This does leave you needing something to remove hazards though (for volcanion and gyarados's sake), and with Lanturn's electric immunity, you could switch Swampert for Empoleon or even Utility Cloyster if you're feeling frisky (and would rather not compound the team's ground weakness).

Last edited:

Seo.

Hey really cool team Rimz, I have a couple suggestions about your team's defensive backbone :P

I'm running a somewhat similar team right now, with specs Volcanion and Band Azumarill. Both of these threats really benefit from a slow pivot like Lanturn, who can bring them in safely. Lanturn would also provides your team some speed control (since you're scarf-less) and cleric support in case you Gyarados catches a stray scald burn or Volcanion gets paralyzed.

I would run it over Tentacruel, as most of your mons don't need toxic support to wear down checks. This does leave you needing something to remove hazards though (for volcanion and gyarados's sake), and with Lanturn's electric immunity, you could switch Swampert for Empoleon or even Utility Cloyster if you're feeling frisky (and would rather not compound the team's ground weakness).
ah yes! i will test these out, thank you

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)