Super Smash Bros. Melee

After it being brought up in the D/P forums, I was inspired to make one. Do you play it? If so, who do you play as? Have you been to any tournaments? Truthfully, are you any good? Do you know advanced tactics?

I main Falco and came in first place at the last tournament I went to, a local one with around 40 people. I play competetively and can do the majority of Falco's advanced tactics such as SHL, wavedash, dash dancing, double shine, and other techs. I'm not great, but I'm definitely above average.

Oh, and Marth>Roy and tiers do exist.

We need a Smash board, because appearently more people here play Smash then we expected. I used to main as Link, but after using up a lot of his techniques, he's starting to fizzle out compared to my other characters such as Falco, Fox, Marth, and Ganondorf.

I have yet to participate in a SSBM Tournament, though I really want to. My cousin who never even played Smash Competitively got to before me. :(

After it being brought up in the D/P forums, I was inspired to make one. Do you play it?

Yes, I play it

If so, who do you play as?

Fox mcloud

Have you been to any tournaments?

No, probably why I'm not as competitive as I could be. Because there are not many tournaments in florida I don't get a chance to test out my skills

Truthfully, are you any good?

Yes, I'm the best of my friends

Do you know advanced tactics?

I know a lot of advanced tactics, but I usually don't use em, particularly because there is not a competitve enviorment in florida you can beat people without needing em

I do however do short hop kicking

I main Falco and came in first place at the last tournament I went to, a local one with around 40 people. I play competetively and can do the majority of Falco's advanced tactics such as SHL, wavedash, dash dancing, double shine, and other techs.

That's excellent, your probably better than me.
I'm so looking forward to brawl coming out, so I can play online and get competitive like you are

Young Link isn't top tier. ~_~

I used to be a big Marth player, but I just plain grew bored of him. So... I switched to Dr. Mario. Much more fun to play as. Excellent approach game.

I've been to a grand total of zero tournaments, but I am pretty dang good for a casual player. As for advanced tactics, yes I do know a measurable amount, but, no, I don't use them much.

Originally Posted by Fat leafgreen386
Link is fun to juggle.... when you're the other person. Link gets combo'd by literally everyone. If it weren't for that one problem (his weight and fall speed) he would probably be much higher on the tier list, and much more viable in tourneys. And for the record, a lot of people play link. There are just relatively few people who are good with link.
Originally Posted by Mow
nah, link's weight and fall speed are great assets to him. Link's problem is his poor grab and his inability to sufficiently punish fastfallers.
mmm... though Link is slow, it's not really the reason he has problems.

Link's problem imo is that his projectiles, hitbox range, and long ranged but limited grab makes him defense oriented. Now, that would be cool if it WEREN'T for the fact that he is easy to combo, which forces you to be careful or get punished severely.

Link's other problem is that he has no easy way to finish his opponents. His primary finishing moves are Spin Attack[up-B], Forward-Smash, and Down-Aerial. All powerful attacks, but really slow and usually can be seen coming a mile away, so what does that mean? You have to set up your opponent, and well, which can take forever.

I'm going to possibly 3 Competitive smash tournaments in the next 3 weeks. ^^ One of them being a huge Canada wide tournament.

I guess I can talk about smash here now without feeling bad about going offtopic. Good.

Link's other problem is that he has no easy way to finish his opponents. His primary finishing moves are Spin Attack[up-B], Forward-Smash, and Down-Aerial. All powerful attacks, but really slow and usually can be seen coming a mile away, so what does that mean? You have to set up your opponent, and well, which can take forever.
Well, link does have edgeguarding, and he isn't terrible at it.

Well, I guess I should answer some of the questions of the original post. Although I said it in the other topic, I main fox. Ironically, I switched from sheik to fox just before the "new" tier list came out, so to some people it probably looks like I did so because of the tier list. In actuality I had been using sheik since I was a noob, and had picked up so many bad habits, I needed to change.

Anyway, I do use advanced techniques. I use wavedashing, dash dancing, wavelanding, firefox ledge stall and shl a lot for mindgames, and in just general combat I shffl most my aerials (I say most since there are times when full jumping is better; in fact, full jump nairs l-canceled to shines are pretty effective, and you couldn't do uthrow ->uair/bair without a full jump if your foe has some percent on them), jump-cancel my grabs, wavedash out of shine, etc. I'm still learning proper DI for a lot of stuff (or rather, ingraining it into my play, since although I know how to DI a sheik ftilt, I don't always see the attack in time to see it coming, or I don't think about DI, or... blah. I've got ok consistency (I'm not great) with ledgetechs, which has helped me survive to some pretty insane percentages sometimes. Although all that is pretty standard fair for a competitive player (granted some are fox or falco specific, and there are people a whole lot better than me at living through hits).

I never bothered learning the shdl or doubleshine, because tbh I don't think they're that useful. The shdl does the same thing as the shl except adding a little extra damage, and it doesn't provide as much mobility. Doubleshining can be used to (further) prevent sheildgrabbing, but a single JC'd shine after an aerial is usually enough from my experience (maybe when I start playing better people I'll be forced to learn it), and beside maybe in an a wall infinite (which it's faster damagewise to jc the shine to a drill anyway) it doesn't do much else.

Although I'm pretty technical and have decent mindgames, I don't consider myself that good at the game, since I've yet to place first at a tourney. But it's still a lot of fun just playing different people. It can also be frustrating sometimes when you plow through your first couple opponents only to get knocked into the loser's bracket by a low tier you've never played before. I have a bit more experience fighting Bowser now than I did then lol

I happened to stumble into a group of friends who all play smash, and all play well. It's nice, since I usually get to play a couple of hours of smash a few times a week, and we all have a good time.

@SlakingMaster: check the tournaments section of swf. Tourneys are held all over the place. I'm sure that unless you live in some noname town they'll be a tourney near you.

Where is this said Tier list at?

you play it

.....if I didn't i wouldn't be posting here...

If so, who do you play as?

Pikachu, Link, Young Link,Kirby,Pichu, Peach occasionly

Have you been to any tournaments

No

Truthfully, are you any good-

I don't know how to say this, but up until recently I haven't been playing it consistently. I still am pretty good with Pikachu, but I feel that I have lost touch with my old masterable abilities. But finally, I know that I am the best in my group of friends who play it- in which with Pikachu, i'm like 600ish wins with him. but anyway I still can't beat Crazy Hand/Master Hand, but even though I never could anyway, i think that i'm good enough for a tournament, but I am no where near my old mastery of the game

Do you know advanced tactics-

well, if you call being able to abuse Agility/Quick attack to the point where I can get Pikachu to live thru nearly anything at >150 damage (except Hammer, Homerun hit,ect) then i guess that's an advanced tatic. but in all reason- i have a set strategy, but i don't have really any advanced tatics though

leafgreen386- you should consider yourself a good player if you can do all that advanced techniques, just cause your not the best person you know does not mean your bad, sure there may be a lot better but that still does not mean your bad.

Edit:I only know of my five friends who play smash and because I can beat them I consider myself "a good player". Sure I know a lot of people could deystroy me with all these advanced technques and mindgame, but I like to be thankful for what I do have.

thanks for the link, I'll look into that since my friend say's I should join a tournment

leafgreen386- you should consider yourself a good player if you can do all that advanced techniques, just cause your not the best person you know does not mean your bad, sure there may be a lot better but that still does not mean your bad

thanks for the link, I'll look into that since my friend say's I should join a tournment
Well, the thing is any idiot can practice until their hands fall off and get every advanced technique down perfectly. But if they don't have the mindgames to match that technical skill they won't go anywhere. Sort of like in pokemon. You might be able to build a good team, but if you can't predict you won't win often against good players. Compared to noobs, I'm a pro. Compared to pros, I'm a noob. Compared to the people in between... I'm decent.

And you're welcome.

Tournaments? No.
Character? Pikachu.
Advanced Tactics? Yes.
Thunder Wall (I call it. Using Pikachu's vB to severely hurt foes. Only works on foes with 80%+ damage.)
Suicider (I call it. Hit them with vB while flying over them so as to not be struck by vB.)

I shell myself. (^A & vA to protect myself on all sides.)
If my damage is <= 150%, I can recover from ANY attack. If it's > 150%, I can recover from any attack except HR Bat. If it's > 200%, I can recover from any attack except HR Bat and Hammer. > 250% and it's all up to chance.
Item hog. If I'm playing with items, I'll go around and pick up items so fast it's not funny. I'll set myself up behind boxes and have my foes attack. If the box explodes, they get hurt. If it doesn't, I'm waiting with a charged and timed S<A.

I don't think any of these attacks are "official" tactics, but they work just as well. Needless to say, I can adapt to any stage EXCEPT the Ice Climbers one.

I play Mario and the obligatory Falco. Used to play C Falcon a lot, and won a couple of lol tournaments w/ him. They called me the "Demon C Falcon", seriously.

I play Bowser and Ganondorf semi-competitively; in other words, I'm just good enough to consistently beat the shit out of my friends but would completely fail going anywhere near an actual tourny. =/

Haven't played it lately and am waiting patiently for Brawl currently.

Leafgreen-
While Double Shining isn't exactly useful in all situation, it's still a good tech that can confuse the opponent and can serve as a decent mindgame in other situations. I assume you play as Fox since you said you don't SHDL, and I do agree with you: it's really not essential to Fox's game.

As for myself, I'm kind of bad at L-cancelling and occasionally lack in the mindgames department, but I have very good techs that stress out and frustrate my opponent. I played a friend of mine for the first time in Melee a few days ago and he was mindblown at how fast my playing style is.

One of my main flaws is that I suicide basically once every three games. It's not a constant method of death.. sometimes it's a Phantasm off of the edge rather than a backwards SHL, sometimes it's an airdodge when I meant to ledge tech, and sometimes it's forgetting I didn't have another jump.

Sonic-
Who do you play as?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
firewater, this is the tier list:
NTSC (North America)
Top Tier
Fox
Falco

High Tier
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

PAL (Europe and Australia)
Sheik
Falco
Fox
Marth
Peach

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario

Luigi
Link
Yoshi
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

Young Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

I use Link =P Yeah I agree he's easy to combo and his throw sucks but these factors aside he's awesome. His moves (spin attack, down+A) have huge recovery times though so you need to be careful. All in all he's at his best in 2v2 where ranged attacks help and the spin attack is the boss.

I'm pretty decent... I don't play competitively but my friend does and I can occasionally beat him despite his advanced tactics. Unless he plays Falco that is... *COUGHnerffalco/foxinbrawlCOUGH*

I actually consider myself noob at this game; I know nothing of these advanced tactics :-P...
Generally, I enjoy playing it with my little brother..
*likes using Pikachu* especially since he's fast and fun to bounce around with! :-D

Hmmm though, I'm really looking forward to brawl though, only because I'm loving the trailer (with Kirby cooking Mario).

I almost exclusively use shiek.
I believe it's two months ago now, all the people who play smash in our village got together for a tournament. (14 ppl)

I breezed through all of them except for the finale.
In the finals i was up against my best friend Egbert who's an incredibly awesome marth player.
In the end, i managed to connect that forward air thing and sended him flying.
Aside from that i don't have any experiences with tournaments and stuff whatsoever.

firewater, this is the tier list:
NTSC (North America)
Top Tier
Fox
Falco

High Tier
Sheik
Marth
Peach

Middle Tier
Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Doctor Mario
Jigglypuff
Mario
Ganondorf

Low Tier
Link
Luigi
Donkey Kong
Roy
Young Link
Pikachu

Bottom Tier
Yoshi
Zelda
Mr. Game and Watch
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

PAL (Europe and Australia)
Sheik
Falco
Fox
Marth
Peach

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario

Luigi
Link
Yoshi
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

Young Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo
What's the difference between the PAL and NTSC versions? I've never noticed it, I own the PAL version but have played the NTSC version a few times. Jigglypuff is my main character now, it used to be Ganon but then I realised the awesomeness of Jiggly's aerials, and also the fact that beating up people with Jiggly pisses them off.

@Callum: Subtle things, framerate and etc. And hi5 for Jigglypuff; (s)he's imo one of the most fun characters to play as.

Leafgreen-
While Double Shining isn't exactly useful in all situation, it's still a good tech that can confuse the opponent and can serve as a decent mindgame in other situations. I assume you play as Fox since you said you don't SHDL, and I do agree with you: it's really not essential to Fox's game.

As for myself, I'm kind of bad at L-cancelling and occasionally lack in the mindgames department, but I have very good techs that stress out and frustrate my opponent. I played a friend of mine for the first time in Melee a few days ago and he was mindblown at how fast my playing style is.

One of my main flaws is that I suicide basically once every three games. It's not a constant method of death.. sometimes it's a Phantasm off of the edge rather than a backwards SHL, sometimes it's an airdodge when I meant to ledge tech, and sometimes it's forgetting I didn't have another jump.

Sonic-
Who do you play as?
Marth, but I can use anyone else if I want. Even the wireframes. woot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)