Sun Discussion Thread

Sunny Day!

With so much talk of the power of Rain Dance in RU, it is surprising that hardly anyone has brought up the possibility of Sunny Day. I am guessing this is down to the fact that the premier Chlorophyll sweepers are still hanging out in OU and UU while most of the Swift Swim sweepers are already nice and cosy in RU.

Sun's potential in RU is huge thanks to a lack of Dragon types and a limited number of viable Fire type counters, giving Chlorophyll sweepers great opportunities to sweep with their Grass STAB and boosted Fire type attacks. There is no Sun equivalent of Rain's nemesis 'Ferroseed' to sit their ass down and resist every attack either (thank Heatran for having no babies) so once a Sun team gets going it has the potential to be even more devastating than Rain.

While the likes of Venusaur, Volcarona and Heatran are stuck in OU, powerful sweepers such as Sawsbuck, Tangrowth and Charizard are all coming down to mix it up in RU. In the meantime we will have to give a chance to some unfamiliar Sun sweepers but don't be fooled into thinking they can't rip a team to shreds.

Sun Summoners

There are many great support Pokemon who didn't make the cut for UU, and why not make good use of them on your Sun team!

Cresselia is a fantastic Sunny Day user. Not only does it refuse to die, it can use the Sun to replenish 2/3 of its health with Moonlight. It has an expansive support movepool including Dual Screens, Thunder Wave, Gravity, Safeguard, Magic Coat, Trick and Trick Room. It also has access to the legendary Lunar Dance which can give one of your sweepers a second chance at sweeping. Cresselia is suitable for more defensively conscious Sun teams because of its access to instant healing to reliably stay alive for longer as well as a movepool that can let it fend for itself.

Uxie is your go-to support Pokemon in RU. With Dual Screens, Magic Coat, Heal Bell, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Yawn, Trick, Trick Room and U-turn as well as massive bulk, Uxie can almost guarantee a successful set up. Uxie also has access to Memento, a perfect way to bow out and get one of your sweepers set up easily. More suited to hyper-offense Sun teams because of its greater support movepool and lack of recovery, it has less staying power compared to Cresselia.

Claydol

Murkrow

Chlorophyll Sweepers

One of the great advantages of playing with Sun is that most abusers can do more than just go all out hyper-offense. Sleep Powder, Aromatherapy, Trick Room, Leech Seed, Nature Power, Synthesis, Morning Sun, Dual Screens, Healing Wish, Quiver Dance, Gravity, Tailwind, Torment, Explosion, Sucker Punch, Worry Seed; these are all attacks that Chlorophyll sweepers have access to that can either support themselves or support the team and it gives them a devastating versatility that Swift Swimmers can only dream of. Most Chlorophyll sweepers also have access to Growth, which doubles both Attack and Special Attack when used in the Sun, making attacks hard to stomach as any switch-in will be ruthlessly targetted on their weaker defence stat. All of this means that Sun teams have reliable alternate answers to problems if hyper-offense isn't working out.

Lilligant is one of the most versatile Chlorophyll sweepers in the whole game. Not only does it get the perfect set up move in Quiver Dance, it also has access to Sleep Powder to drop any potential road-blocks that may get in the way. Great Speed and high Special Attack make it extremely threatening offensively but its support movepool is what makes it borderline ridiculous. In addition to Safeguard, Stun Spore, Light Screen and Leech Seed; Aromatherapy lets it double up as a cleric as well as an unstoppable sweeper, Synthesis helps it perform defensive duties, and it has Healing Wish to bow out in the most terrifying way possible: reviving a dying team-mate to bring on the pain all over again!

Shiftry is a demented monster boasting good offensive stats on both sides and access to a great movepool. On the physical side it gets Swords Dance, Seed Bomb, Sucker Punch, Low Kick, Nature Power (Earthquake), Rock Slide, X-Scissor, Faint Attack as well as Explosion! On the special side it has Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse, Giga Drain, Focus Blast, Leaf Storm, Grass Knot, Shadow Ball, Solarbeam and of course Hidden Power. Add Growth into the mix as well as Chlorophyll boosted speed and it becomes obvious why Shiftry is an absolute juggernaut in the Sun. Sucker Punch means Shiftry is capable of sweeping without Sun too. Support options such as Leech Seed, Knock Off, Synthesis, Tailwind, Torment, Power Swap and Whirlwind keep it as unpredictable as any Chlorophyll sweeper.

Exeggutor is often forgotten when it has one of the greatest Special Attack stats in the game, as well as a decent Attack stat. Once Chlorophyll fixes its speed it can use its extensive movepool to muscle through any threat. Physically, Exeggutor has Wood Hammer, Nature Power (Earthquake), Low Kick, Seed Bomb, Zen Headbutt, and Explosion to leave a dent in things. Swords Dance patches up its decent Attack to hit hard. On the special side, Giga Drain, Psychic, Psyshock, Leaf Storm, Sludge Bomb, AncientPower, Grass Knot, Solarbeam and of course Hidden Power are all at its disposal. Unfortunately Exeggutor does not get Growth or any move to boost its special stats. It should be noted that Exeggutor has a diverse support movepool in Sleep Powder, Gravity, Leech Seed, Dual Screens, Power Swap, Synthesis, Trick Room and Wish! Its Dreamworld ability Harvest makes a supporting role feasable.

Fire Power

Chlorophyll Grass types are the only ones to benefit. Fire types get a power boost to their STAB moves while losing a Water weakness. This makes them a different kind of beast to face in the Sun.

Moltres is already one of the most powerful special sweepers in RU and Sun makes it almost uncounterable. In Sun, Moltres can freely use its powerful Fire Blast that will sting even resists. It has quite a unique defensive typing that make it an excellent pivot and its ability allow it to PP stall many Pokemon out of a threatening move. Choice sets can take advantage of the excellent U-turn and it even has Solarbeam if you wish to take full advantage of the Sun. It also has nice support options in Safeguard, Will-O-Wisp, Tailwind, Roar and Morning Sun making it very versatile.

Entei, as if its Flare Blitzes weren't powerful enough, Sunny Day takes pain to a whole new level. Entei is able to boost up with Howl or Flame Charge and use its physical movepool which includes Flare Blitz, ExtremeSpeed, Stone Edge, Bulldoze and Iron Head. Entei also has great options on the special side with Calm Mind to boost its bulk and power, the ability to make 101 HP Substitutes, great Base 100 Speed, and just the coverage it needs in Fire Blast, Solarbeam, Hidden Power, Extrasensory and Shadow Ball. With no Water weakness, CM Entei is even harder to stop in the Sun.

Emboar

Magmortar

Typhlosion

Stopping the Sun

Sun is not without counters in RU. Most Chlorophyll sweepers will have to carry a Hidden Power to threaten Fire types and a lot of the time they suffer from coverage issues because they can only choose one Hidden Power. One of Sun's greatest strengths is the availability of Sleep Powder to most sweepers which lets them shut down a potential counter, but there are still threats that must be overcome before a Sun team can truly be successful.

Munchlax is the bulkiest Pokemon in RU. Make no mistake when you face this thing because its special bulk is almost untouchable. Its ability, Thick Fat, lets it shrug off Fire attacks and it is a complete counter to Moltres thanks to access to Whirlwind, Rock Slide, Body Slam, Rest and Sleep Talk. Sleeping this thing doesn't stop it from phazing or crippling you with Paralysis which spells trouble for the vast majority of Chlorophyll sweepers. Powerful physical attacks can break Munchlax down but its access to recovery and a lack of powerful Fighting moves on most Sun sweepers mean that Munchlax is likely to stay around for a while. Expect to meet a lot of Munchlax originally employed to take down Yanmega.

Altaria is the only Dragon/Flying type in the tier and its good special bulk allows it to tank hits from most Sun sweepers. Access to Heal Bell and Natural Cure also means it is pretty much impervious to status and with reliable healing it can support its team well. Altaria likes to Toxic stall and often has Flamethrower in its arsenal to roast Steel and Poison types, a move that will be boosted in the Sun against your own sweepers. What's more, Altaria can forgo Natural Cure for Cloud Nine to negate any advantage the Sun may have brought while it is out. Again powerful physical attacks will bring it down but many Sun sweepers lack the moves to significantly dent Altaria.

Lickilicky

Closing Comments

The real beauty of the RU tier is that a player who wants to use a weather team must work hard to get the weather up, to keep it up, and to address the weaknesses of that playstyle all the while knowing that the team must be able to pull together when the weather inevitably ends. This makes playing with weather fun and challenging, and also extremely rewarding if you can pull it off; as it always was back in DPPt OU and UU.

One advantage of playing with Sunny Day is that it eats annoying Hail teams for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also match up favourably against Rain teams because many Chlorophyll sweepers are usable outside of Sun.

So do you see real potential in a Sunny Day based team? Has the possibilities got you drooling or are you as unconvinced as ever at a playstyle that generally requires greater planning and set up? Also feel free to post any interesting sets you have had success with! Will try to include good sets in OP.

Jumpluff deserves mention as a summoner/support Pokemon. Victrebeel will also dropping into RU once the tier list is updated (he's 170 in Augusts UU stats).

man, I should have posted this when I thought of it like a week ago o well...No mention of Vileplume? It's a great standalone sunny day poke with Heat Rock, Sleep Powder, SolarBeam, and HP Fire / Sludge Bomb.

SpecsMoltres's fire blast is already deadly in UU without Sun...... man, that thing can tear stuff apart in RU *goes to teambuilder*

^

Gonna build a sun team as well. never played good with rain, but this is gonna have some thought in it. *picks lilligant, blastoise, moltres and cress* hmmm

Lemonade

WOOPAGGING
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Amoonguss gets increased Synthesis recovery, and can use Spore to set up for free or get a sweeper in for free. That really helps frail stuff.

Guss @ Heat Rock
252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef etc.
Bold
Effect Spore
Sunny Day
Synthesis
Spore
Giga Drain / Coverage / stun Spore

It unfortunately has problems with compounded Fire weakness (and with the team) and lack of offense.

@ Newmannium: Yup Jumpfluff will be added. Victreebel will be added along with the other Chlorophyll sweepers once they come down.

@ Foxy Grandpa: I used Sun since the start of RU and when I saw the Rain thread I decided to do one about Sun, sorry! I'm not sure about entirely sure about Vileplume because it is slow, not really bulky, and not really powerful. If it gets enough support then I'll add it but it might be NU material unfortunately.

I only have a handful of potential Sun team members there in the OP so please feel free to suggest more and I will add them.

edit: Not sure about that set V0x, first of all it lacks offense and secondly (and really importantly) the use of Spore means that a sweeper can't use Sleep as a way to cripple a counter. Activating Sleep Clause is actually a really big hinderance to Chlorophyll sweepers because Sleep Powder is a big reason why they are so hard to counter. The role of bulky Sun support is served better by Cresselia and Uxie I think because they have more support options. But thanks a lot for the suggestion and keep them coming!

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Never thought about sun in ru, but in reality it seems pretty potent. Haven't battled a single person using a sun team in ru. I might try using a sun team.

@ Foxy Grandpa: I used Sun since the start of RU and when I saw the Rain thread I decided to do one about Sun, sorry! I'm not sure about entirely sure about Vileplume because it is slow, not really bulky, and not really powerful. If it gets enough support then I'll add it but it might be NU material unfortunately.
Vileplume has pretty good defenses (75 / 85 / 90). With Chlorophyll it outspeeds everything relevant in the tier (Zam, Cinccino, etc.) and with base 100 Special Attack and STAB Solar Beam and Sludge Bomb it can do some serious damage. It doesn't even have to set it up for itself, it can come in on Munchlax or something slower like Clefable, sleep it, set up Sunny Day and go to something like Shiftry. Just some food for thought.

Set for ease of C+P if you decide to edit it in.

Vileplume
set name: SunnyBeam
move 1: Sunny Day
move 2: Sleep Powder
move 3: Solarbeam
move 4: Hidden Power Fire / Sludge Bomb
item: Heat Rock / Life Orb
nature: Modest
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe (could be tweaked for added bulk)

Either way, sun in RU is going to get a huge boost once the tiers update

But, Vileplume doesnt have anything significant that Exeggutor or Lilligant dont have outsides of a poison typing. I'm not sure what it does that others cant.

Yeah absolutely, Lickilicky is a good suggestion. Don't think that this is a complete list, it is far from it and we need more ideas and suggestions.

Well in that case, I'll press on. Lickilicky has pretty decent bulk, and thanks to it's large movepool, it can run a bunch of different sets.....it's just as unpredictable as Gengar is in OU. Since fighting types (one of it's only hard counters) aren't normally seen on sun teams, it can either wreak havoc by going on the offensive, or run a supportive role. Since Lickilicky isn't used often (even in RU), there's a surprise factor too.

BTzz

spams overhand rights
is a Contributor Alumnus
Sun is actually pretty legit in RU. I've gotten to 50ish on the ladder with it which is pretty good I guess. Flame Charge Bacon + Chlorophyll Egg is a potent combo under the sun. Also maybe a mention of Scarf Typlosion? I haven't gotten around to testing it, but it seems great on paper. A viable spinner list would also be nice. Stuff like Sandslash and Claydol work fine. Something I've been using in sun is Toxic Spike Drapion. Toxic Spikes makes life very hard for Munchlax by making it tougher for him to stay in on your sweepers. Drapion can also take on Cress, another bother to sun teams.

Edit: just leaked half my team lol

Lol yeah thanks for the suggestions Brizznetz. Will update when I have time tomorrow. Now that you've leaked your team why not post an RMT ;) We'd love to see!

edit: Yeah Magmortar and Typhlosion probably deserve mentions. Bacon definitely deserves to be up there for being an absolute beast in Sun! I'll try to do non-Sun-specific support Pokemon like Drapion later.

In that case Cloud Nine Golduck can counter Sun too.

Water to hit the fire types and Ice beam to hit the grass types.

Golduck outspeeds most Chlorophyll users with it's average base 85 speed, he's only outsped by Lilligant, Levanny, Sawsbuck and Jumpluff and a scarf can take care of the speed.

CB HUSLTE SUN BOOSTED FLARE BLITZ FUCK YEAH

however, it's probably less powerful than Darmanintan's sheer force CB flare blitz. Darumakka won't be living long due to all the recoil and its tiny HP stat.

hmmmm. maybe so. but its non-sheerfoce boosted moves are stronger. lol this thing will be scary under trick room or something.

What about Meganium as a support option? Sun teams hate status and Meganium has Aromatherapy to get rid of it. She also gets a buffed up Synthesis in the sun (which aids her longetivity,) has pretty good bulk and, to a lesser degree, has access to Reflect/Light Screen. Though maybe Serperior might be better for that particular role.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)