Status Hazard

Rumplestiltskin

I will rain lels all over you and you will drown in them
Approved by Eevee General

Banner by Rumplestiltskin

Welcome to Status Hazard, where targeted status moves can become entry hazards if put in the 1st 2 moveslots.
Imagine getting your pokemon Leech Seeded every time you switch in because your opponent set a Leech Seed hazard, that's possible here!

Rules and Mechanics
  • You turn a status move into an entry hazard by putting it in the 1st 2 moveslots on your pokemon.
  • The status move must be a status move that can target an opposing pokemon. It can be a move that affects a target or multiple targets but not all pokemon on the field or the user itself to be able to become an entry hazard, i.e. status moves that target these 3 categories: One Adjacent Pokemon, All Adjacent Opponents, and All Adjacent Pokemon.
  • Status hazards get removed by Defog and Rapid Spin, just like regular hazards.
  • If a status move is used as an entry hazard, the opposing pokemon on the field won't get affected by it, it only affects pokemon that switch in, just like regular hazards.
  • Status moves are able to be set as Status Hazards vs a poke that isn't affected by or even immune to them, just like regular hazards.
  • Status problem inducing hazards get removed if the corresponding type switches in on them, just like how Toxic Spikes are removed by poison type pokemon. I.e. fire type pokemon remove burn inducing hazards and electric type pokemon remove paralyze inducing hazards.
  • Regular entry hazards take effect before status hazards.
  • The Status Hazards take effect in the order of latest to oldest.
  • If the limit for maximum number of Status Hazards on a side has been reached, the next set Status Hazard will "push out" the oldest set Status Hazard from the field.
  • Status moves that also affect the user or the field on use only have those effects activated once, on use, when used as Status Hazards. I.e. when Parting Shot is used as an entry hazard it will switch the user out on use, but will only drop a pokemons stats as a hazard.
  • Magic Bounce will only bounce back the Status Hazards the turn they are set, a pokemon with the ability Magic Bounce will be affected by the already set Status Hazards on switch in, just like how it works with regular hazards.
  • If a pokemon isn't affected by a certain status move, be it thanks to ability or thanks to typing, it won't be affected by that moves Status Hazard, with typing taking priority over ability when it comes to something like Flash Fire. Mold Breaker on the opposing side negates any immunities gained by an ability.

• OU clauses
    • Endless Battle Clause: Players cannot use any moveset on any Pokémon capable of intentionally causing an endless battle.
    • Swagger Clause: Players cannot use the move Swagger.
    • Sleep Clause: If a player has already put a Pokemon on his/her opponent's side to sleep and it is still sleeping, another one can't be put to sleep.
    • Evasion Moves Clause: A Pokemon may not have either Double Team or Minimize in its moveset.
    • Moody Clause: A team cannot have a Pokemon with the ability Moody.
    • OHKO Clause: A Pokemon may not have the moves Fissure, Guillotine, Horn Drill, or Sheer Cold in its moveset.
    • Species Clause: A player cannot have two Pokemon with the same National Pokédex number on a team.
    • Baton Pass Clause: Players cannot have more than one Pokémon with the move Baton Pass. Furthermore, a Pokémon cannot have Baton Pass while also a move that boosts Speed and a move that boosts another stat.
  • Status Hazard Clause: Up to 2 status hazards can stack, regardless of how many regular entry hazards there are on the field
  • Players cannot use the following Pokemon:
  • Players cannot use the following items:
    • Gengarite
    • Kangaskhanite
    • Lucarionite
    • Mawilite
    • Salamencite
    • Soul Dew
  • Players cannot use the following abilities:
    • Shadow Tag
  • Players cannot use the following moves as Status Hazards:
    • Block / Mean Look / Spider Web – Reason: This works somewhat like Shadow Tag, which is banned in OU.
    • Roar / Whirlwind – Reason: It would cause the pokemon to be switched out at the end of the turn it switched in, which would result in endless switching.
    • Nature Power – Reason: The purpose of this metagame is that status moves can become entry hazards, Nature Power becomes Tri Attack, which isn't a status move.
    • Taunt - Reason: This causes pretty much all pokemon to be taunted for 3 turns on every switch in, unless cleared, which centralizes the game to setting Taunt Status Hazard and clearing it, or just trying to play without even using status moves at all, which beats the purpose of this meta.

Metagame overview

Status moves are much stronger and have a much larger role in this meta. While using a status move as an entry hazard won't affect the opposing poke instantly, it will keep being applied to the opposing team's pokemon as they switch in, until cleared, which makes status moves so much more worth it to use in exchange for a turn.
Switching might become a little bit less appealing due to the prevalence of more entry hazards, but the more hazard setters the opponent has the easier it will be to deal with them 1v1.
Sometimes you face the dilemma of whether putting your status move in the Status Hazard slot or not.
Taunt will be a very good move to run on your team, as well as Defog and/or Rapid Spin. Magic Bounce will be an even greater ability. Fire type and electric type pokemon will be good to have on a team to clear Thunder Wave and Will-O-Wisp Status Hazards. Special attackers are a good idea to use due to the existence of the Will-O-Wisp Status Hazard, and due to the fact that the Fake Tears Status Hazard has way more setters than the counter to it, Eerie Impulse has, which might prove to be a problem that needs to be dealt with.
Curse as a Status Hazard might also prove to be a problem due to the fact that the cost to set a curse hazard on the opposing side is only 1 cut of HP for a ghost type pokemon.

After You (useless)
Attract
Baby Doll Eyes
Bestow
Block (banned)
Captivate
Charm
Confide
Confuse Ray
Conversion 2 (useless)
Cotton Spore
Curse
Dark Void
Defog (lowers evation as a hazard, clears hazards on use whether as hazard or not)
Disable (useless)
Eerie Impulse
Electrify (useless)
Encore (useless)
Embargo
Entrainment
Fake Tears
Flash
Flatter
Feather Dance
Foresight
Forests Curse
Gastro Acid
Glare
Grass Whistle
Growl
Guard Split
Guard Swap
Heal Block
Heal Pulse
Heart Swap
Hypnosis
Kinesis
Leech Seed
Leer
Lock On
Lovely Kiss
Me First (useless)
Mean Look (banned)
Memento (user faints on use)
Metal Sound
Mimic (useless)
Mind Reader
Miracle Eye
Mirror Move (useless)
Nature Power (banned)
Nightmare
Noble Roar
Odor Sleuth
Pain Split
Parting Shot (lowers Atk/spA as a hazard, switch out on use whether as hazard or not)
Play Nice
Poison Gas
Poison Powder
Powder (useless)
Power Split
Power Swap
Psych Up
Psycho Shift
Quash (useless)
Reflect Type
Roar (banned)
Role Play
Sand Attack
Scary Face
Screech
Simple Beam
Sing
Sketch (useless)
Skill Swap
Sleep Powder
Smokescreen
Soak
Spider Web (banned)
Spite (useless)
Spore
String Shot
Stun Spore
Supersonic
Swagger (banned)
Sweet Kiss
Sweet Scent
Switcheroo
Tail Whip
Taunt (banned)
Teeter Dance
Telekinesis
Thunder Wave
Tickle
Topsy Turvy
Torment
Toxic
Transform
Trick
Trick Or Treat
Venom Drench
Whirlwind (banned)
Will-O-Wisp
Worry Seed
Yawn

Last edited:

Rumplestiltskin

Suspects

Curse - When used by a ghost type it puts curse on opposing pokemon that switch in, which might be too strong and too centralizing.

Fake Tears - has way more setters than the counter to it, Eerie Impulse has.

Confuse Ray - Increases 50/50's and thus decreases competitiveness for the cost of just 1 turn.

Last edited:

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
This is going to be...interesting. Both primary playstyles can just be simply invalidated, with memento, wisp, and stat droppers destroying offense and Curse destroying stall...inevitably stall will probably end up superior, due to being able to get rid of hazards with much more ease. If any hazards are on the field, offense won't be sweeping.

Memento and Curse are also pretty OP, but so is dropping defense on switch-in like screech. Running Fire-Type physical attackers will probably be quire useful as well for absorbing wisp.

Lcass4919

The Xatu Warrior
defog hazard! lowers evasion and removes hazards and screens alongside itself ayy! what a terrible hazard. or memento hazard: when you want to give your opponent a "kill button". though im guessing memento just sacrifices the mon, but a complete offense neutralizer. or disable, the move that disables the move last used...when you switch in..ergo you havent used a move yet.

how does accuracy work? does accuracy affect "Setting" the hazards?

now for some good hazards:
leech seed
sleep-hear me out, of course sleep clause is a thing, but think about it, its basically a forced neutralizer upon switchin. even if you can choose who goes to sleep, you basically get a free turn of setup. imagine, breloom switches into chansey, chansey switches into tornadus, uses spore-hazard, loom dies from hurricane, thundurus scares out tornadus sets up a NP, opponent falls asleep...you can set up ANOTHER np safely. and commence a sweep.
curse- cut your hp to throw a hazard that chips 1/4th of your opponents hp each turn? yeah...def worth it.

How will Trick-or-Treat work with hazard removal? I assume the type check for removing hazards is done before the effect takes place? If not, Trick-or-Treat will add ghost type on switch and then get removed. Not that I see it as being a good status hazard as it turns the entire enemy team into spin blockers (make sure to bring defog) but it could potentially be used to abuse magic bouncers.

Also, how does accuracy work? If it's less than 100% (Grass Whistle, Will-o-Wisp) can it fail to set as a hazard, fail to trigger, or is it guaranteed?

I see defiant and magic bounce users being big in this meta because of the amount of defogging that will be going on. Mega Sableye seems strong due to it's overall bulk, magic bounce, recovery and the ability to set oppressive hazards in Will-O-Wisp (spinning or defogging won't help here) and Confuse Ray. It also gets access to prankster pre-mega giving it a practically guaranteed hazard, it spin blocks AND it can deal fairly well with the Lati twins (especially with status hazards up).

Things that look interesting:
Sableye because of literally everything about it.
Klefki can use Thunder Wave and Spikes as always, but Thunder Wave can now be a hazard.
Scarf Breloom (zzz)
Whimsicott gets access to leech seed and grass whistle amongst others combined with prankster.
Anything with Soak (will stop spin blockers)
Guts users (if Will-o-Wisp hazard becomes popular) EDIT: Especially with band or life orb.

lost heros

Meme Master
is a Pre-Contributor
Would you be able to use a hazard that normally doesn't affect that pokemon? i.e. If I wisp on a non-fire pokemon, and then my opponent switches in a fire type,would that pokemon be burned?

Would you be able to use a hazard that normally doesn't affect that pokemon? i.e. If I wisp on a non-fire pokemon, and then my opponent switches in a fire type,would that pokemon be burned?
I would presume existing immunities would not be bypassed. This metagame doesnt seek to change any other mechanics but the ability to make status moves hazards

Rumplestiltskin

defog hazard! lowers evasion and removes hazards and screens alongside itself ayy! what a terrible hazard. or memento hazard: when you want to give your opponent a "kill button". though im guessing memento just sacrifices the mon, but a complete offense neutralizer. or disable, the move that disables the move last used...when you switch in..ergo you havent used a move yet.

how does accuracy work? does accuracy affect "Setting" the hazards?

now for some good hazards:
leech seed
sleep-hear me out, of course sleep clause is a thing, but think about it, its basically a forced neutralizer upon switchin. even if you can choose who goes to sleep, you basically get a free turn of setup. imagine, breloom switches into chansey, chansey switches into tornadus, uses spore-hazard, loom dies from hurricane, thundurus scares out tornadus sets up a NP, opponent falls asleep...you can set up ANOTHER np safely. and commence a sweep.
curse- cut your hp to throw a hazard that chips 1/4th of your opponents hp each turn? yeah...def worth it.
Defog only clears hazards on use, accuracy is relevant when trying to set the hazard, i.e. will-o-wisp might miss when trying to set it as a hazard.
Memento only kills the pokemon that used it.
And you have a point about sleep, I'll think about it.

How will Trick-or-Treat work with hazard removal? I assume the type check for removing hazards is done before the effect takes place? If not, Trick-or-Treat will add ghost type on switch and then get removed. Not that I see it as being a good status hazard as it turns the entire enemy team into spin blockers (make sure to bring defog) but it could potentially be used to abuse magic bouncers.
I don't entirely understand what you mean by this question, Status Hazards will activate before any pokemon on the field makes a move, if that helps.

As Peef Rimgar said, a fire type pokemon can't get burned no matter what, unless its fire typing got removed.

Yo, the OP says Quash is useless, and it is when mon switches out to something else, but I think it'd be useful to prevent revenge killings. Like so: sweeper kills a mon -> opponent sends in faster revenge killer -> killer gets quashed -> sweeper hits killer first. (unless this isn't true because of turn-order wonkiness)

Also soak looks crazy fun

xJownage

Even pendulums swing both ways
Soak and type changing moves are actually really cool. Imagine getting soak and then abusing thundurus or some other sweeper. Sounds scary.

I don't entirely understand what you mean by this question, Status Hazards will activate before any pokemon on the field makes a move, if that helps.
I basically question the interaction with:
Rumplestiltskin said:
Status problem inducing hazards get removed if the corresponding type switches in on them, just like how Toxic Spikes are removed by poison type pokemon. I.e. fire type pokemon remove burn inducing hazards and electric type pokemon remove paralyze inducing hazards.
Depending on the order, having ghost added as a typing may remove the hazard on any switch-in. I assume that by the time the hazard activates we're already passed that. Same deal with Soak, as well as Forest's Curse

Rumplestiltskin

Yo, the OP says Quash is useless, and it is when mon switches out to something else, but I think it'd be useful to prevent revenge killings. Like so: sweeper kills a mon -> opponent sends in faster revenge killer -> killer gets quashed -> sweeper hits killer first. (unless this isn't true because of turn-order wonkiness)

Also soak looks crazy fun
Nice catch, I'll update the OP.

Edit: never mind, here's how it works: A pokemon switches in on Quash, and in that turn it moves last, but it wasn't gonna make any move that turn anyway, that's why it says (useless).

I basically question the interaction with:

Depending on the order, having ghost added as a typing may remove the hazard on any switch-in. I assume that by the time the hazard activates we're already passed that. Same deal with Soak, as well as Forest's Curse
I still don't understand what you mean here, how does ghost type remove hazards?

Because I'm known for my hate against stall, here's what I'm gonna use.

Gastro Acid / Worry Seed: You're worried about Prankster, Intimidate, Unaware, Poison Heal mons that's really annoy you? No worries! Your opponent loses them in an instant they switch in, so you don't have to worry about any annoying abilities.

Heal Block: Oh, you want to heal? HEAL? What if I say no? Rip Recover, Leech Seed, Poison Heal or any attept your opponent at healing.

Misty Terrain: Well, I'm known as my hate against Toxic and Will-o-wisp. Good thing this exists. Now you won't be worried about status that tries to wear you down.

Edit, looks like field isn't included, so I'm settling with Psycho Shift.

How does Transform work? When the opponent switches out and switches in another mon when Transform is on the field, does the adjacent pokemon Transform into that pokemon?

Also, string shot looks interesting, being a direct upgrade from sticky web, as it lowers speed by two stages.

Also, lock on as a hazard is a god send for mono OHKO teams.

InfernapeTropius11

get on my level
This looks like a fun meta!

This thing looks like a beast. It gains stat boosts from all the stat-dropping moves (such as Memento, Parting Shot, String Shot, etc.) and can proceed to rek shit with it's powerful STAB and great speed tier. Heck, it can even set Glare/Leech Seed hazards if you want it to! Serp looks like an all-around solid choice in this meta due to Contrary. Watch out for Gastro Acid/Worry Seed hazards though. Even this squid thing might be viable!
o3o

Skill swap seems annoying because it works even when bounced back, allowing you to freely set hazards despite their mega Sableye. Obviously having it on their side is better, but with it bounced back you can freely switch in on cm unaware clefable, or a chansey' twave, or a landot's intimidate...

Yawn, on the other hand, might be better than pure sleep. It means that if they want to sack something to sponge it, that Pokemon has to stay in for a turn and risk being KO'd and then has to switch again; meanwhile, the constant switches it causes are annoying.

Also rumple, wouldn't it make more sense for the accuracy to be rolled every time a Pokemon switches in rather than the first time?

Last edited:
Ground-types aren't immune to Paralysis itself but are immune to Thunder Wave. Would they be immune to Thunder Wave as a hazard?

Truant + Entrainment sounds like a gimmick I'd like to try. Hex might see some use with status easier to come by. Also, Regigigas and Slaking might be able to get some play time with Skill Swap, or if opponents carelessly throw out Gastro Acid/Worry Seed.

How will abilities that grant immunities to types, i.e. Flash Fire, work with status hazards of the corresponding type? Do these hazards activate said abilities, are they merely ineffective, or do the abilities do nothing at all? Furthermore, if they abilities are activated, would a fire type with Flash Fire remove a Will O Wisp hazard and still get the boost, or would the hazard be removed before the ability has a chance to activate? Using Toxic Spikes as an example, Showdown's code will remove them if a grounded Poison type switches in before trying to actually poison the Pokemon. This makes me think the ability won't activate, but if you specify otherwise, it should be easy to code the meta so as to guarantee the ability has a chance to activate before the hazard is removed.

So many options

Encore: enjoy setting your status. Now enjoy doing that forever.

Haze: go ahead and try to lower my stats

Camouflage: will this turn the opponent normal type? If so, spam mega lopunny with this.

Lock On: no guard for all!

Miracle Eye: psychic spam?

Spore + nightmare + dream eater: sweet dreams

Powder: no fire moves allowed

Simple Beam + memento/metal sound/tickle/etc: better hope you have a contrary user, oh wait...

Lots more...

Edit some of these don't actually work. My bad. Don't be like me and skip half the OP

Last edited:

Rumplestiltskin

Also rumole, wouldn't it make more sense for the accuracy to be rolled every time a Pokemon switches in rather than the first time?
It wouldn't, accuracy is rolled when a move is used, which is what makes most sense when thinking of how moves work.

How does Transform work? When the opponent switches out and switches in another mon when Transform is on the field, does the adjacent pokemon Transform into that pokemon?
Exactly, if you put a Transform hazard on the other side and a pokemon switches in on it, your pokemon transforms into the pokemon that switched in on the Transform hazard.

Ground-types aren't immune to Paralysis itself but are immune to Thunder Wave. Would they be immune to Thunder Wave as a hazard?
How will abilities that grant immunities to types, i.e. Flash Fire, work with status hazards of the corresponding type? Do these hazards activate said abilities, are they merely ineffective, or do the abilities do nothing at all? Furthermore, if they abilities are activated, would a fire type with Flash Fire remove a Will O Wisp hazard and still get the boost, or would the hazard be removed before the ability has a chance to activate? Using Toxic Spikes as an example, Showdown's code will remove them if a grounded Poison type switches in before trying to actually poison the Pokemon. This makes me think the ability won't activate, but if you specify otherwise, it should be easy to code the meta so as to guarantee the ability has a chance to activate before the hazard is removed.
Good questions, I'm thinking that if a pokemon isn't affected by a certain status move, be it thanks to ability or thanks to typing, it won't be affected by that moves Status Hazard, with typing taking priority over ability when it comes to something like Flash Fire. And Mold Breaker on the opposing side should negate any immunities gained by an ability.

Exactly, if you put a Transform hazard on the other side and a pokemon switches in on it, your pokemon transforms into the pokemon that switched in on the Transform hazard.
Probably not competitively viable, but if this ever becomes playable (hopefully on rom :o) then I'm running mew as a transform setter, since it basically turns your team into the opponents. Maybe something like 5 mews then a pangoro. :P

Also, I'm all for banning confuse ray, since the best way to get rid of confusion is by switching, which is not possible here, since the next pokemon will just be confused. And keep in mind that your hazard remover, unless it's on the field at the time the hazard setter set confuse ray, will have a 50/50 shot when it comes into the field to remove the hazards, and if you're not lucky enough, then you've wasted a turn, meaning the opponent has an opportunity to KO you or switch into his sweeper and take advantage of the free turn.

Basically, getting rid of your hazards depends on luck, and you're most likely not going to predict the first confuse ray and switch into your hazard remover.

Rumplestiltskin

Probably not competitively viable, but if this ever becomes playable (hopefully on rom :o) then I'm running mew as a transform setter, since it basically turns your team into the opponents. Maybe something like 5 mews then a pangoro. :P
Species Clause though.

I agree with what you said about Confuse Ray, I'll ban it soon enough if no one objects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)