SM OU Stall Team

Can anyone please rate this team, any help would be appreciated!
I am absolute trash at this game, with my highest at around 1400, but idk what tf i did, but now im at 1100. And I am also really bad at making teams. (Not a warning, just a reminder)

The team -

https://pokepast.es/9184c4545a6e6cc0

I decided to build this team around a Pokemon with Magic Bounce as its ability, due to the heavy amounts of hazards present in the OU metagame. The two Pokemon with this ability in OU, were Sableye and Diance, both of which were megas, and both of which i did not want to use. I searched far and wide, and came upon Xatu and Espeon. Espeon was just a better Xatu with slightly lower defense, so i opted to choose this Espeon.

Espeon @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Toxic
- Wish
- Calm Mind

Most players upon espeon would be surprised and confused as to what it can do. My espeon's main purpose in this team is to bounce back hazards (such as rocks and tailwind) and act as an efficient wish passer, hence the maximum HP investment. It is made for a more stally purpose, rather than a damage dealer. Psychic is the most spammable move, dealing good damage to most of OU's metagame. I then went for toxic, for surprise switches and punishing Pokemon that set-up in front of Espeon's face. Wish is there for longevity, and healing teammates. Then I got stuck at its last move. I put calm mind over dazzling gleam, due to the structure of the Pokemon, I WISHed (haha get it?) for a more supportive/stally Espeon rather than one that can dish out some damage. The speed evs are there to outspeed all base 100 speed mons.

After I built espeon, I was thinking of adding a Pokemon who would not be afraid of taking hits from boosted mons, such as zard x for instance. Therefore, i used the basic Smogon build for Quagsire. Quagsire's unaware really helps to deal with Pokemon such as the afforementioned Zard Y, Hawlucha, and non-giga drain volcarona.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Def / 244 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover
- Toxic

EQ is the primary stab move for this Pokemon, dealing chip damage to anything that it hits most of the time. Scald is there to cripple offensive mons with its 30% burn chance. Recover is crucial for this Pokemon, as it acts as a means for... wait for it... RECOVERy. But seriously, recover is necessary for this Pokemon as it makes it more "wall-y". Toxic is similar to espeon, it is there to catch switches and punish the player for doing so.

I then thought of the notorious AV Tangrowth- a force to be reckoned with, as it had good synergy with Quagsire as it was a grass resist, and it had massive bulk.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Once again, I opted to use smogon's default build for Tangrowth. I had giga drain over leaf storm due to the build of my team- it was more stall/wall than bulky offense. Earthquake was there to catch heatran and zard x on switches, knock off was their to knock off valuable items such as choice scarfs from lando or gren and hidden power ice was there as a way to hit Landorus and gliscor really hard. With the Assault Vest, Tangrowth's Spdef becomes a huge threat, alongside its already masssive hp and physdef.

I was then like, wait, i want BALANCE. That was why i picked Scizor- Mega as my bulky offense.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 156 HP / 148 Atk / 28 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch

Unlike normal Mega Scizors, my scizor sacrifices some of its HP for attack, so it can perfrom a sweep if the opponent is not cautious. It is quite similar though to the general build of Scizor, with maximum spdef to eat hp fires from serp and fini, the large hp, the 28 defence ev's for banded kartana and other threats. But the 148 ev investment into attack makes this Pokemon be so much more of a physical threat as well. At +2, this thing 2HKOs Fini, Landorus and OHKO's all the other tapus with bullet punch alone.

After the Scizor, i realised i had a large weakness to fire types, with my only answer being quagsire, who was deadass a toy for zard y's solar beam. That's why i went with heatran, who is immune to fire as a result of its flash fire ability. Most heatrans in 2019 run firium z, but i decided to go with the steelium z flash cannon, which usually always picks up a KO nowadays.

Heatran @ Steelium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 20 HP / 252 SpA / 236 SpD
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Now. IK what you are thinking. TRIPLE TOXIC? Yes...

I made the build of this team to severly punish opponents for making riskier plays.

Steelium Z Heatran, does massive damage to anything that does not resist it. I opted for lava plume over magma storm due to the accuracy and the burn chance. Heatran is also my team's only rocker. Like I have mentioned before, I wanted a team with a wally/stally style, but not a stall team. Therefore i had the ev's distributed into special defense and hp, rather than speed.

My last choice of a Pokemon was to have a more faster Pokemon that could deal with threats more quickly than others, but also keep the bulk. I also needed a ground immunity as heatran will die to any EQ. Zapdos was a perfect Pokemon for this.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Discharge
- Heat Wave
- Roost

I had defog for rocks that were thrown after espeon's demise or just somehow bypassed espeon (such as mold breaker excardill). Discharge over thunderbolt for the paralysis chance, heatwave for scizor, ferrothorn and kartana and i had roost for longevity. I spread the ev's into speed and HP, so that zapdos could be a faster, bulkier Pokemon, similiar to my team's build.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-920706016

Weaknesses i have found:

Chansey- this pokemon is hard to deal with if Scizor has fainted.

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Love this, it has HUMOR!

Just saying my mind, I think Clefable would make for a better Unaware user than Quagsire. It has Moonblast, you already have an EQ user in Tangrowth, and Clef just has better stats overall. But Quagsire is more Offense-oriented. You can use Clef is you are ok with the team being a bit more Stall-ly :)

No matter how much you want to punish the opponent, triple Toxic is far too much. Double Toxic at most. Single is best. That way you can let up some moves on your Pokemon like giving Heatran Taunt so your opponent’s Pokemon can’t set-up anyway.

Hope this helped!
P.S. Upon seeing Espeon out, which is a rather odd Pokemon, I’ll suspect something, check its abilities, see Magic Bounce out, suspect its intention, and go all-out with Ttar or a Ghost-type :)

This team is a little bizarre for OU and I'd rather not make any suggestions that would change the overall concept of the team. One suggestion I do have is Toxapex > Quagsire.

Toxapex outclasses Quagsire entirely as a bulky Water and can use Haze to clear stat boosts. It can also set up Toxic Spikes, which your team appreciates because it's rather fat and makes use of Toxic a ton.

Otherwise, interesting team! I hope it turns out well for you. :]

Thank you guys for your help.

Overall, I understood that Espeon was in RU for a reason, and therefore, as a result of your advice, changed my team a little. I altered both Espeon and Quagsire to Toxapex and Clefable as mentioned. This is the finished project. (It worked really well, i passed 1300 again, yay!)

https://pokepast.es/60a3b7945f875c45

I also have a replay to show: (86 turns lmaoo)

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-921313774

Last edited:
You must be aware that it is much harder to build good & consistent teams than it is to actually use/ladder with them. IMO it's also even harder to build good stall teams.

If you are struggling in 1400s, It would be my personal recommendation to copy a team from the successful RMTs posted here (anything that peaked 1700 or higher is good) and try and use that same team to try and reach at least 1600s or so. It is especially hard to build stall teams because you need to build a stall team that isn't too passive yet still checks every single relevant mon in OU, which is really hard.

Go through the teams and pick one that you like and try and peak 1500-1600 and then you can build your own teams that you like.

Now I'm not gonna blue ball you like that I'll actually try and rate your team so here it goes:

First, your team is not stall. It's more like bulky balanced or semi-stall at best. Stall doesn't try to "sweep" opposing teams, it tries to run their resources dry by slowly chipping at the team.

Some glaring weaknesses in your team:

1. On some of your mons, you don't have reliable recovery. This is unacceptable on stall. Mega Scizor not having roost, or Espeon not having Wish+Protect, are examples of that (I know you got rid of espeon)

2. You are not using the right mons. Quagsire is ok. Espeon takes very high skill to use (RU pokemon in OU). Mega Scizor, while a good pokemon, is also very hard to use on stall. Mega Sableye is the primary mega on stall. You should be using that.

3. You need to understand the purpose of each pokemon and your EVs should be reflecting that. For example, you had Quagsire with 248 / 12+ Def / 244 SpD which doesn't make sense. You want Quagsire to check powerful physically offensive mons in OU such as Zard X, Landorus-T, and Garchomp. Similarly, there is no reason Zapdos shold be max speed (what do you need the speed for?). It would be much more useful to run 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe with a Bold nature for example. You just need enough speed to outspeed Magnezone but you need lots of defense to counter Kartana, Hawlucha, etc.

I watched your replay and it looks your predictions and stuff aren't bad at all.

So here's what I would change:

• Mega Sableye > Mega Scizor. You need Mega Sableye, it has Magic Bounce which is nice on stall. It also checks Mega Medicham which is important. It is also really good vs. defensive pokemons like Ferrothorn and Chansey that can't do anything vs. Mega Sabley
  • Chansey > Tangrowth. Tangrowth is ok but if you are using stall, you need Chansey. Chansey can offer lots of support from Toxic, Heal Bell, Stealth Rock, and checking so many mons like Scarf Tapu lele, Tapu Koko, Greninja-Ash, Magearna, Mega Charizard Y, etc.
  • I'm going to make Toxapex's spread 248 HP / 252 SpD that way it is much better at checking specially offensive threats such as Greninja, Kommo-o, Serperior and so on.
  • I'm also changing the Heatran spread to be more defensive. 248 HP / 252 SpD is the way to go to. I also put Magma Storm / Taunt / Toxic that way it's easier for you to deal with other defensive teams.
The team:

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Protect

Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Seismic Toss

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Moonblast

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Toxic
- Discharge

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Calm Nature
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Earth Power

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Calm Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald

How to use:

- You wanna lead with sableye and mega evolve turn 1 to get off mega

- use Heatran's magma storm + taunt to break opposing fatty teams

- try and spread status with toxic and toxic spikes

- keep heatran alive with wish from clefable

- only use mega sableye's will-o-wisp to burn physically offensive mons such as kartana/chomp/lando-t or steel/poison pokemons and try and not use it vs. defensive pokemons so you can toxic them instead (for example you don't wanna burn enemy zapdos cuz you wanna toxic it).

- keep rocks on the enemy team as much as possible to widdle it down

- this team is a little weak to specs lele and magma storm heatran but hopefully you should be ok. If you see enemy heatran try and use mega sableye to stall its magma storm

- use zapdos's pressure to stall important moves on the enemy team such as stealth rock and defog

If you want further help, you can PM me I can also give you some already built stall teams that work (if you wanna take my initial advice)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)