ORAS OU Snorlax Squad

Snorlax Squad

INTRODUCTION:
Hello guys! This is the RMT of a team that Havor and I did. As soon as the ORAS OU ladder was released on Showdown people rushed to make teams and adapt as soon as possible to the tier, and of course the two of us weren't going back isn't it? This team started with an attempt to make a Stall team for ORAS, and this RMT shows the result that Havor and I accomplished, something capable of putting a huge part of the meta on the ground. Welcome to art of Stall in ORAS!

CREATION PROCESS:

This was the first version of the team. Mega Salamence was my idea, whom I was passionate about what is perhaps his most dangerous set: the Bulky SubDD. He served as the team's primary win condition. Soon after there was a good tank Mew, overall and able to check Mega Medicham and Mega Gallade. Mandibuz as Defogger and gengar counter, Skarmory as good tankn Alomomola to Wish pass, and Lanturn as something able to check Greninja and stop Volturn chains thanks Volt Absorb.

This team, despite the Mega Salamence, possessed a horrendous weakness to CM Clefable. So we ended up deciding to replace Mew with Taunt Gligar.

Unfortunately, the star of the team had to go. Mega Altaria entered to remedy a weakness which until then had not been noticed, Mega SubCM Lati@s, able to 6-0 easily. And, as a bonus, a Perish Song user.​

And so the team came to how it is now: Snorlax replaces Lanturn as a better alternative against Greninja, Mega Diancie with CM, and especially as the win condition.

INDIVIDUAL ANALYSIS:

Altaria @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SpA / 252 SpD | 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 SpD
Calm / Sassy Nature
- Roost
- Hyper Voice
- Perish Song
- Fire Blast / Earthquake

Altaria, perhaps the most influential Mega after Mega Salamence (who will be banned anyway). Dragon/Fairy is a typing just perfect, enabling this Pokémon to check, among others: Charizard X/Y, Keldeo, Latias, Garchomp, Landorus-I/T, Thundurus-I, Dragonite, Mega Heracross, Mega Manectric, Breloom... The list is immense. Thanks to Roost, it is virtually impossible that the threats mentioned above force against Altaria based on brute force, since any damage can be easily recovered. Hyper Voice is used as the STAB and the moves that you will mostly use, as with Pixilate, this move reaches an impressive power of 175 points, enough to heavily damage any non-resist. Perish Song is used against potential dangerous and last-mons settupers that may attempt any jokes, the most dangerous being CroBro (Mega Slowbro with Rest/Sleep Talk/CM/Scald). The last slot is used for coverage. We particularly prefer Fire Blast because of Ferrothorn,
preventing the use of Leech Seed or Spikes (24 SAtk OHKOs the standard set), but Earthquake can be used as an alternative against Heatran.

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Counter
- Stealth Rock

What a surprise, Skarmory in a team stall? This Pokémon has had its moments of glory in the past but ended up falling into disuse between mid and end of XY OU. However, it is still one of the best physical walls of the game, and this team's Stealth Rock setter. This set is pretty standard, focusing on taking as many hits as possible. Shed Shell is used to escape from Magnezone, which is becoming more common and may be even more so with the advent of ORAS. Whirlwind is one of the most important moves of this Pokémon, preventing others to increase their status or even simply to get extra damage of hazard in the opponent team. Counter is a move that perhaps no one had any idea that someone would ever exploit on Skarmory, but which eventually take the place of Brave Bird since XY, once the damage this did stopped being enough, in addition to bringing a nasty recoil. This makes it a more viable option against Mega Medicham, Bisharp and others. Stealth Rock is the moves required for each team, so without further explanations.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

Who plays RU or UU knows what it does: Spreads burn and poison, passes Wish, doesn't dies. Simple. This fish is surprising for its ability to withstand hits by his bulk alone, rarely being 2HKO'd by neutral hits. He joins the team as the Wish passer, Keldeo check (along Altaria), and Greninja check, in addition of course to helping Skarmory holding physical blows and decreasing the stress it may be subjected. Maybe what gives Alomomola the use he receives right now is its access to Wish + Regenerator, shared only with Audino. The main problem of Wish passers is the fact of having to decide to recover himself or a teammate, but Regenerator aleviates it, allowing the Pokémon to recover both himself and someone else in the same turn. The set is standard: Scald as STAB capable of burning, Toxic for passive damage, Wish to recover HP and Protect to scout or to recover himself with Wish.

Mandibuzz @ Leftovers
Ability: Overcoat
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Mandibuzz is another that fell into disuse, but that makes his return in this team. He came in, primarily, as an alternative against Gengar and Landorus-I, dangerous Pokémon on meta, and to be the Defogger team, but ended up surprising us. Starting with your typing that offers some valuable resists, especially Ghost and Dark. Overcoat provides a switch to Grass-types who might try to put something to sleep, especially Venusaur and Amoonguss. Foul Play functions the same way as Counter, punishing Pokémons capable of giving high damage due to a high Attack. Roost and Defog are standards, and Toxic is used both for the passive damage and for allowing Mandibuzz to really hold Landorus-I.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 208 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off

This Pokémon took the opposite path of Skarmory and Mandibuzz: started in low and finished as required in any stall team of XY, and now keeps his post in ORAS. As you may have noticed this team lacks Heal Bell, which makes necessary the use of things able to absorb status, and Gliscor is one of them. The conjunct of Toxic Orb and Poison Heal ensures, in a single turn, the same HP recovery that Leftovers offers in 2. And it doesn't stop there: in addition to being a status absorber and high HP recovery, the fact that Toxic Orb is a single use item allows Gliscor, along Altaria, to be able to tank random Knock Offs without any kind of problem. The EVs capitalized on SDef allow Gliscor to tank a big part of the meta, in particular Thundurus-I and Landorus-I, both without HP Ice, and check another huge sum. Earthquake and Roost are standards, Knock Off is used to remove items from other pokes and Taunt is the MVP of this set, making it a great alternative against stall, being usually the win condition of team against this playstyle. Besides, this allows Gliscor stop CM Clefable, that could be a big trouble against this team.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake / Sleep Talk

The 'controversial' slot is here. Snorlax entered simply to remedy the huge weakness to Greninja that the team had, and he did it perfectly. This Pokémon is able to tank all hits of the ninja, even factoring the Rest turns. Also serving
as a check against a lot of special attackers and eventually form a fine defensive core with Gliscor, once Snorlax resists Ice thanks to Thick Fat and doesn't give a damn about Scald, Hydro Pump and suchlike. In addition to all this, this set also presents us with a such acclaimed win condition, in special against Clefable, Crocune and Crobro, if Gliscor and Altaria fail in their roles. The last slot varies greatly, but Earthquake is preferable to help against the weakness that the team has against Mega Diancie.

Altaria (M) @ Altarianite
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 232 HP / 24 SAtk / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Hyper Voice
- Fire Blast
- Perish Song
- Roost

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Counter
- Stealth Rock

Alomomola (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 232 HP / 180 Def / 96 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Scald
- Wish
- Toxic
- Protect

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Shiny: Yes
Trait: Overcoat
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 108 SDef / 16 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Foul Play
- Roost
- Defog
- Toxic

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 192 SDef / 72 Spd
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Roost
- Knock Off

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 176 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Body Slam

Last edited:

Valentine

Banned deucer.
Hello Miles Tails, this is a very well presented semistall, nice job on the format :toast:

It's always fun to see a classic like CurseLax in a new generation. There's a few things about the team that bother me. You really don't have anything for +2 Mega Heracross. I guess the saving grace is that it's a new generation, so nobody is running the old megas. You can run Acrobatics somewhere on Gliscor for Hera, but if you haven't seen any on the ladder, don't bother. Another alternative is giving Altaria enough speed to outpace Adamant Hera, but the investment required is a somewhat insane 216 EVs, forget that. Perish Song on Altaria is a very good way of dealing with opposing set up sweepers like Slowbro, i'm going to have to remember it gets that for future games. Stall's only other option for CroBro and CM Sab would be Unaware Clefable, seeing someone come up with something new is really awesome. Common stallbreakers like Mew, Heatran, and Talonflame are handled well by this team, overall a pretty impressive squad. The main problems seem like Wallbreakers that aren't common in the metagame, like Heracross, and Ice Punch Medicham. A bulky psychic like Cresselia would be the best way to deal with Medicham, but since it isn't popular, you probably shouldn't bother. I don't personally play much stall, so I can't offer any more advice.

Congratulations on a very well made RMT, keep it up.

I don't think I've ever seen a CurseLax so well integrated into a team before. For you Mega Altaria, I strongly recommend sticking to Fire Blast to cover up your team's nasty ice weakness. Earthqauke may help against Heatran and Electric types (your other big weakness) but the former is taken care of by Alomomola and the latter by Gliscor. This is a very well made stall team overall.

Hey man, really nice team. I've been lurking for a while but this team was so nicely put together that I had to say something. Just a couple thoughts.

Belly Drum Azumarill seems like it could be somewhat of a problem, especially late game. You don't have anything to out-speed it, (I'm not including Gliscor because a +6 Aqua Jet = Dead Gliscor) bar Altaria who (in theory) could Perish Song it, and Mandibuzz, who can foul play Azumarill. Doing 56.8 - 67%. But by that time it would have already done irreversible damage to your team. (Yes, even Alo and broken sturdy Skar are OHKOd) That's not even taking into account the fact that many people run Jolly Azumarill in conjunction with Belly Drum since the power the set brings is so overwhelming that the slight drop in attack is barely noticeable. This means that Azumarill will literally out-speed every single member of your team (again, not including Gliscor) and sweep late game, especially when Skarmory has been weakened.

What do I suggest? Under normal circumstances, Ferrothorn. However i've seen Azumarill run Superpower before and it's not pretty. Venusaur would do a fantastic job, but you already have a mega and quite frankly, I like it. Moving on, I suggest running just enough speed on Mandibuzz and Altaria to outspeed Azumarill. Mandi can Foul Play and Altaria can perish song if necessary. Mandibuzz is the one who desperately needs the speed... however, a whoopin 92 EVs would have to be placed in speed just for it to outspeed Azu and i'm not sure if that's something you would even want to do.

Basically.. don't let Azumarill set up. If it does, pray for Adamant nature. Aside from that, the team looks great. #AltariaSquad

Valentine is not only that it may be a Heracross headache to every team can press the time Figthing from Gallade to Medicham, however, it was possible to try to beat them with Alomomola + Skarmory, unfortunately that would eventually make room for any other member of the opposing team have the opportunity to lead the team in full. So your comment has been fully considered and Cresselia joined the team in place of Mandibuzz with this, listen to some changes in the movesets of some Pokemon for the team to maintain a solid entry into Gengar and a victory condition.

Altaria (M) @ Altarite
Ability: Natural Cure
Happiness: 0
EVs: 180 HP / 192 Atk / 136 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Frustration

Cresselia (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Snorlax (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Crunch/Earthquake
- Body Slam

These were the changes made from your comment.

KillSeven, your vision has been great, the team actually has numerous problems against Belly Drum Azumarill, fortunately, in the current scenario that ORAS is living the same does not exist, however, is a great tip for me to rebuild this team when ORAS has been officially released and the metagame begin to stabilize. The staff is still excited about the new mega developments, thus making the old ones are not so common, as also other Pokémon that were great in XY or as the BellyAzuma you mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)