Smogon's Top Video Games List - Stage 3 (Current Discussion: The vonRubric)

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stage 2 Thread
List of Games

Alright folks, after a lengthy and arguably imperfect voting period we have narrowed our list of games down to just under 300. This pool will eventually be further condensed to 100 games through a process of discussion and grading, which will happen in the next thread. For now, we have a greater task at hand: deciding how to rate these games in a fair and comprehensive manner. In this thread, we will do just that through a series of discussions.

Now, in order to create a rubric that fairly judges all games and is not favored toward a particular genre or game type, we must come up with a number of categories that we agree are essential in determining a game's quality. Obviously a game has many parts like its Music, Graphics, Plot, Platform, etc, that all contribute to its overall quality. We must define what makes a game great, and properly weight these categories so an accurate measure of overall quality can be achieved.

The first step of this Stage will be determining which categories to judge games on. We will accomplish this by compiling input from our users, then through discussion we will narrow and adjust the list down to a manageable core of aspects we can all agree on. At first, this will simply be done a bit like a nomination. If you feel a certain category should be added to the rubric, please post it and explain why. I think a reasonable goal for a final list would be somewhere between 7-10 categories, so try not to be overly specific in your examples. Some suggestions will be grouped into other more general categories in the end so our rubric does not become too complex to execute.

Before we begin, I'll lay out the ground rules:

1. No Flaming. Everyone's opinion counts here, and I expect us all to act like adults. If you disagree with someone's input, please keep your head on your shoulders and out of your ass, and discuss it rationally. Flaming and bickering will result in me discarding your input completely.

2. Be detailed. Don't just post and say "___________ should be included" and not tell us why. If you feel a game should be evaluated based on a certain aspect, explain why that aspect is essential in determining a game's value. Unsubstantive posts will be ignored and frequent offenders will be barred from future discussion.

3. No resurrecting old discussions. Do not debate the game list itself in this topic. I don't care if you are still pissed that a certain game got eliminated or was not given a chance at redemption like you asked. The list is the list, and it will not be changed.

4. Obligatory 4th option.

Ok, that covers it. To begin the discussion, I will list a few categories. You may suggest new categories or discuss the current ones in your posts. As items are added, I will edit them into the master list at the bottom of this intro post.

MASTER CATEGORY LIST

Music
Gameplay (needs more specifics)
Aesthetics
Solidarity/Design - another way of saying Overall Composition, just how well the game was put together
Plot (in doubt)

Sub-Reference: Proposed Rubric by vonFiedler

The vonFiedler Rubric
Each category except for the last is judged on a scale of 1-5.
Less numbers makes each more divisive.
The difference between a 7 and an 8 may vary per person, this is less likely with a smaller scale.
Given that we are rating candidates for best game of all time and not comparing good games to garbage ones, the scale comes somewhat pre-curved.

1-Weakness
2-Detracting
3-Appealing
4-Strength
5-Mastery

One might note that there is no Average on this scale. A category should help or hinder a game's score. If it shouldn't factor, you should argue for a N/A. No game should have too many N/A categories, use with caution as it could tip the scale in a lackluster game's favor.

(World Design) N/A Categories
Storyline
This category is the plot, characters, and writing of a game. How it is judged may be subjective. This is the most common N/A category, but if the story in any way helps or hinders the artistic merit of the game then a score should be given.

Graphics Aesthetic
This category judges the artistic merit of the game's graphic design and not strictly its technology. Poor utilization of technology can hinder a game's score here, but that is because great art can be made even without great graphics power (see the most beautiful game ever made, Okami). It is what an artist does that determines the score here. This should not be as common an N/A category as has been thrown around, but may qualify sometimes.

Audio Aesthetic
This category judges the artistic merit of the game's music and sound design and not strictly its technology. Poor utilization of technology can hinder a game's score here, but that is because great art can be made even without great audio tech (see a ton of different games for the NES). It is what an artist does that determines the score here. This should not be as common an N/A category as has been thrown around, but may qualify sometimes.

(Game Design) Not N/A Categories
System Design
This category judges the fundamental game design. It is the movement physics in Super Mario Brothers. It is the stats and turn based combat in Pokemon. It is the sneaking in Metal Gear Solid. It is the shooting in Call of Duty. How you judge each game in this category may vary widely by genre or even within genre.

Content Design
This category judges how the above is applied through elements such as level design, enemies, bosses, set pieces, puzzles, etc. You can also factor just how much of merit the game has to offer, from different modes to game length. There are many different ways a game could achieve a 5 here, from tight level design (should be valued above all else) to replay value and game length wherein the game stays valuable and provides new content.

Interface Design
This seemingly technical category is artistically important because it connects the player to the game. Poor controls or bad interface break immersion. Great kinaesthetics are a boon for immersion. Poor controls are controls that do not allow you to naturally perform what the game asks of the you. They are not simply "different" controls or controls with learning curves (see King of Fighters or Resident Evil).

The scores for these 6 categories are averaged together for the game's tentative final score.

(Wagner Bonus)
When all the individual categories of a game work well together, a bonus may be argued for. This is a flat bonus of 1/2 to 1 to the tentative final score, signifying that a game is elevated above the sum of its parts. This can only be given to games with no N/A categories. Wagner himself never thought a work of art achieved this ideal goal, so these bonuses should be rare.

I don't know if it would be considered legacy, but some games were good because they were really original or innovative instead of strictly following a preset genre of games. An example of this would be something like Katamari

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Ok moonbound, I see what you are saying. Would you suggest a category such as "Originality" be added to the list? Please try to elaborate on why this is important in a game's quality as well, pursuant to the rules.

Graphics should be split into another category: aesthetics. Aesthetics refers to the general style and and cohesion of all of a games visual aspects, while graphics would specifically be based on the kind of processing power required for the objects within a game.

You can't really compare games which have good graphics with unattractive aesthetics (CoD) and a game with bad graphics with good aesthetics (Binding of Isaac) under a single category of just graphics. The same goes with comparing older titles with newer ones.

Would music also count as part of aesthetics? Since both graphics and music are those things that are nice, but don't really affect gameplay.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
I see your point fisdunction, but remember each category will not be weighted equally. The weighting is important for the very reason you described, to avoid an older game being penalized because it has bad graphics. Also, I hope, we will make efforts to evaluate a game's graphics based on the time period it was released in, not current standards.

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
What happened to nethack again? Last I heard you were adding it back in...

The issues you have with a hard coded rubric like this is that judging a game by a field that is not relevant to a particular game is retarded. Nethack for instance doesnt have any music. It doesnt need music, if you want music just play some mp3s..

Most of these categories are pretty irrelevant in a lot of games:
Plot - storyline
Tetris? StreetFighter? Judging any competitive or puzzle game on plot is pretty retarded.

Graphics - duh
Tetris? Honestly who gives a shit.

Longevity - how well the game has stood the test of time
Kinda shit for games that came out this year..

Replayability - duh
A plot heavy game shouldnt need replayability. Heavy Rain for instance is a fantastic game which has basically no replayability whatsoever.

Challenge - how satisfying the game's challenge was
This is kinda weird for a competitive game. The challenge would be determined by your opponents..

Legacy - how the game inspired and/or contributed to later games
Yeah, tbh I just couldnt care less. But again, games that came out this year..

Overall Composition is an important aspect I think should be considered. Now, hear me out. You could say everything we're basing the rubric on is enough to determine overall appeal alone, but there are plenty of times where the sum is bigger than the parts.

Essentially I think overall composition is necessary to describe how well all the elements worked together to make the game the experience it is. Journey is an example that comes to mind. The game didn't have super overwhelming music, had very subtle but nice graphics, a vague plot and very simple gameplay. Alone, these elements don't stand well. But, together, they managed to make a video game experience unlike anything I had ever had before. They all melded well together to make something grandiose and beautiful.

We don't necessarily have to give it the "overall" terminology. I'm sure "General Composition" or something along those lines can work as well.

I can't help but notice you don't have a single category directly relating to the actual gameplay mechanics of the game. While I feel that just having a single 'gameplay' category might be a bit simplistic, as the definition of what exactly should or shouldn't be considered part of the gameplay category is rather vague, I feel that trying to list all the factors which affect gameplay directly or in-directly is a pointless effort as there is just too many

I think we should have:
Gameplay Mechanics - If a game were to be stripped of its plot and any possible aesthetic appeal (assume that functional aesthetics are still present - for example, fire attacks in an RPG would still be represented with fire, to allow the players to easily identify different kinds of attacks, etc), would it still be enjoyable to play? Would the gameplay and gameplay itself be enough to provide a decent experience for the players?

Gameplay-Semantics Synergy - While the previous category works fine for games with somewhat generic gameplay, where the mechanics fit within the stereotypes of that particular genre, more unique games might have issues with that. Think for example, of an FPS game, but instead of human characters or whatever, you control armed and armored hovercrafts. While the imprecision in movement might be considered a flaw for most games within the genre, given the context and the 'character' controlled within the game, it makes perfect sense, and if executed well, could actually make the game more fun. Similar mechanics can be enforced due to various reasons, ranging from the PC, story, setting or even theme of the game. If the game's aesthetics, plot and characters justify the gameplay mechanics (or the other way round), it has a good gameplay-semantics synergy.

Hipmonlee makes some very valid points, in that it is hard to take a game apart in every single aspect, and then move those to little boxes. Take a game like Mario Kart. The plot is severely lacking, if existent at all, yet people vote for it. Hipmonlee also pointed out that games like Tetris don't need their pretty graphics. I think generalizing games into set aspects could prove harder than expected.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
This is what the discussion thread is geared to solve. My additions were simply a jumping off point, we can add or even remove those options if it's determined they don't really work. Hipmonlee makes some valid points, so we need to look and see how we're going to make this work. There have to be SOME core aspects that are present in every game, even if the things I mentioned vary from genre to genre.

I like the discussion so far, and Hip actually reminded me to put nethack back in, I had forgotten :(. Let's continue this vein of the discussion, and I will make some updates to the list either tomorrow or thursday to reflect where the discussion has taken us. Things will change a LOT, so keep that in mind when posting. This is great input guys, thanks!

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I said before that a rubric system doesn't work and Hipmonlee sums up a lot of it. Also while I used Legacy to make sure games even made it to this stage, it should have no impact on a game's final score. Influence is a dick that all unsuccessful lists have sucked.

Arch beat me to talking about overall composition but it's not some crazy new age way to judge art, maybe you've heard of Richard Wagner or the Ring Cycle a.k.a. things that have influenced all forms of multimedia art in the last century.

If there is ONE core aspects then you don't even have it listed yet, gameplay.

I definitely agree with an aesthetics category, though I'd probably call it atmosphere or something. I'm not sure if it would be a separate category or a combination of music and graphics. Ideally I think music/graphics and longevity should be combined into Atmosphere, which evaluates how different graphical and musical approaches suit the game and plot, and Technical, which shows how technically good the game was and how well that matches up today.

Replayability seems like a decent category, but its probably too narrow in scope. Some games are intended to be played over and over in different ways, some games are intended to be played once for their plot elements, and some games never really end, with a seemingly endless number of objectives. The 'Replayability' category should apply equally to all these types of games, rather than promoting the first.

Obviously gameplay has to be included. As for detailed reasoning, I will quote:
WaterBomb said:

I don't necessarily think that Legacy should be included as a primary category - are we going to handicap newer games because they can't possibly have as large of an impact on the field of gaming, or are we compensating for the better graphics, gameplay, and overall fine-tuning of modern games compared to the SNES or even Pong? In addition, aren't Legacy and Longevity more or less related enough that we don't need two different categories for them?

I agree with Fisdunction in that graphics and aesthetics are two different things and should be treated differently. However, don't graphics also experience the same pitfalls as having a "legacy/longevity" category? Super Mario 64 was revolutionary for its time, and would probably score a 3/10 today in terms of graphics. Can we justify a game like that getting a poor score because of when it was made? While having graphics as a category may have a lot of benefits, there are going to be negative consequences as well - for example, Ocarina of Time probably wouldn't get as high of a score as it deserves simply because of the N64's graphic capabilities.

Food for thought.

Focus

Ubers Tester Extraordinaire
A quick suggestion is that because of the shear diversity of video games, for every game we throw out the worst score or two on the rubric, or something along those lines. That way, even if a game has no plot or whatever but is otherwise outstanding, then it won't be bogged down by not being something it wasn't meant to be.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
@Hipmonlee's post: To be honest, I think that even heavy plot-based games have great replayability. The problem is that most people want to play the next thing and don't care for to go through games with great stories. For example, 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors is entirely plot based with a few breaks in between for puzzles and decisions. The replayability of said game is surprisingly high, due to multiple endings. The other reason why the replayability is high is because the story is so good that sometimes you want to go back and replay it just to remember the good times and the bad times in the story. So while it is true that a story with lots of plot but little play isn't always worth playing a second time, I would contend that if you truly are an enthusiast and thoroughly enjoyed the game, you will play it again.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I agree with Fisdunction in that graphics and aesthetics are two different things and should be treated differently. However, don't graphics also experience the same pitfalls as having a "legacy/longevity" category? Super Mario 64 was revolutionary for its time, and would probably score a 3/10 today in terms of graphics. Can we justify a game like that getting a poor score because of when it was made? While having graphics as a category may have a lot of benefits, there are going to be negative consequences as well - for example, Ocarina of Time probably wouldn't get as high of a score as it deserves simply because of the N64's graphic capabilities.
If Graphics is an option it should be primarily about artistic aesthetic. The technology serves that purpose, not tech for tech's sake.

puzzle and sports games don't really have a plot, so to speak. I honestly think its hard to generalize a list of aspects which are relevant to all types of games. Also, I don't think Music makes to much of a difference in most games. I hardly ever play games with the sound on and I can love a game with terrible music, but can't really enjoy a game lacking in the other aspects (graphics and longevity being the other exceptions, but that depends on the game, the console, and the age of the game). Music is no where near as important as the other aspects of the game.

Perhaps we could come up with a list of things that make a game worth of being in the Top 100--examples including things listed on this page such as graphics, sound, plot, so on and so forth--and then apply a portion of the characteristics that apply the most to certain games. For instance, a racing game wouldn't have to be judged on plot and Asteroids wouldn't have to be judged on graphics

Blackhawk11

one on one
What if we made a rubric of several well-defined characteristics, like the list in the op, and said that to include a game for further consideration, it has to strongly adhere to x of the characteristics. We could determine which games have which elements by a vote, and anything that is close is debated on and re-voted.

A disclaimer, I don't think this is necessarily perfect. I wanted to post my idea just to put it out there for other people to build on or draw from.

edit: pretty much just got ninja'd by 20 minutes lol :/

http://youtu.be/MrFK4NlGCo0
Kinaesthetics is a huge part in gaming and should definitely be on the list. It is a defining feature in many franchises and an very important aspect to consider in gaming. Many games need a strong sense of kinaesthetics to engage the player, for example, a Mega Man game with kinaesthetics like Castlevania wouldn't feel right and vice-versa. The Batman Arkham series feels like your controlling Batman and thus the feeling and overall quality of the games increase.

Another idea is listing 5 or so characteristics and rank a game on each of those, and then take the top 3 rankings for the game, so if a game is terrible in an irrelevant aspect it doesn't lose anything as compared to an all around decent game.

The problem with that would be if a mostly good game is lacking in one thing, but that one thing really /does/ detract from the fun of the game. Rather than drop the lowest scores, I would suggest that you simply assign N/A to areas that aren't relevant.

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
. Also, I don't think Music makes to much of a difference in most games. I hardly ever play games with the sound on and I can love a game with terrible music, but can't really enjoy a game lacking in the other aspects (graphics and longevity being the other exceptions, but that depends on the game, the console, and the age of the game). Music is no where near as important as the other aspects of the game.
I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you here. Music is a vital part in the vast majority of games. A game's music can make us experience emotions, set the mood, and make it more enjoyable for the player. For example, you wouldn't experience the same emotions in a game like Silent Hill if the music from Katamari Demassey was playing in the background. Heck, we wouldn't even have some great games if it weren't for the music. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask come to mind. And a video game's music can stick with us, and make an impact. Mario wouldn't be Mario without his main theme. Hearing Pokemon music from our childhood wouldn't make us all nostalgic. Music is an essential part of video games, and definitely deserves to be included on this rubric.

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you here. Music is a vital part in the vast majority of games. A game's music can make us experience emotions, set the mood, and make it more enjoyable for the player. For example, you wouldn't experience the same emotions in a game like Silent Hill if the music from Katamari Demassey was playing in the background. Heck, we wouldn't even have some great games if it weren't for the music. Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask come to mind. And a video game's music can stick with us, and make an impact. Mario wouldn't be Mario without his main theme. Hearing Pokemon music from our childhood wouldn't make us all nostalgic. Music is an essential part of video games, and definitely deserves to be included on this rubric.
A good game is a good game regardless of the music. The reason we find pokemon and mario's music nostalgic is because we played it so much and thus remember the music, not the other way around. For example, the first Gamecube game I ever got was Madden '05. I love the soundtrack on that game, and I remember most of the songs from it. Same with MVP '04, or Pokemon Sapphire, or Super Mario 64. I can't tell you how the music is from a newer games I've played, like say, GTA Chinatown or GTA Chinatown. Nor can I remember the music from older games I've played and didn't like as much, like yugioh world championships 2004, or Megaman blue moon. I can't remember how the music was from most of the games I've played, and that's the difference between a 1 and a 7 on the scores. Music is not only hard to judge subjectively, but its also naturally based upon how much you've played it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)