Smogon's Official Ladder Tournament II - Playoffs Round 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright so I just got back because as I expected, after leaving PS a bit before 7, I had to leave the computer at 7:15 to do religious stuff (today is some significant indian day, something about the moon :O) and then have dinner etc. I am quite aware that I will be viewed negatively by the majority of spectators as they want to see a game, not an activity or coinflip. Although I was the one waiting for 45 minutes at the scheduled time, some might view me as a john just because I am calling activity and saying I don't have time to play. However, there are some things that prevent this situation from being as easy to resolve as I would like, which I will address below. I don't want this to escalate like my last tour match, and i have a lot of things to say, so i'll try my best to address this issue succinctly and clearly. I'm really not interested in reading something about "writing an essay but not playing my game: this isn't even an essay, and i'll address some differences to this seemingly common response to whenever I argue somewhere below).

Firstly, I need to talk about scheduling in general. Of the few times I have had scheduling conflicts, it was because of people's common assumption that people have a lot of free time to play whenever. Lets take the most recent example (Please note that this is not the focus of what I wish to say, and only serves to demonstrate a point. I realize now that it would have been better to just accept a screw up in my schedule due to a small mistake on my opponents part that he should not have been punished harshly for): my UU open game vs HaxED. What ended up happening was a good judgement call; since he made a mistake in communication but was still trying to play me, it was very reasonable to give an extended extension. The reason I got a lot of shit and similar comments to sabella's similar to "lol stop arguing just play" is because I made it clear that I was being highly inconvenienced due to his mistake and that I was very busy so I wouldn't have much time to play. I called activity at first because I was unaware he was waiting for me and hadn't checked smogon, when I thought I was waiting for him. The problem was that people seemed to think that we could just play once the miscommunication was cleared, 1 hour after the scheduled time. Unfortunately, I seem to be different from other people. When I schedule a game, I mean it to be then. I have other things going around after or before that time, and a 1 hour delay in that seriously messes with things I can cannot easily work around. In that specific instance, I had to go out within 20 ish minutes after the time we both realized the other was online (when we thought they weren't), which isn't nearly enough time to finish the match. It would not be a wise move on my part to just try to finish a game then, when if I have to leave in the middle of the game, I'll likely have to take a loss, which I wouldn't want. It needs to be clear that when I schedule a game, I go through the process of scheduling it so that my opponent and I are clear that we are meant to play at a certain time and no other.

It is also important to note that when I say I am busy, I legitimately mean that I am busy. Someone said

"i hate when ppl bitch about having no time
honestly
even cosines like 'nah im too busy studying act'
but he watches all the other games."

This, however, is not an accurate representation of what I mean when I say I am busy. If you care to notice, I have not been present at any of the current games live, and I'm not even sure when I last logged onto PS before today. My Youtube channel activity has also severely declined in the past week. Something that you guys wouldn't know, but I have consistently been studying till 1-2 AM or later every night and still finishing work for one class during the class before it. My schedule is generally organized and not so flexible that I can easily move around 1+ hour activities if my opponent fails to show up at a scheduled time.

Coming back the situation at hand: Teso and I scheduled for 6 PM GMT-4 (EDT, my timezone [it is currently 9 PM ish for me]). Teso indicated that his timezone was gmt-5. Then, he somehow confused the time (in terms of GMT+1 for whatever reason) [I actually am not sure how this happened, because his post in this thread correctly identifies our playng time as "playing monday at 6 pm GMT-4"] or f*cked up timezones or something, and arrived nearly 1 hour later than the scheduled time. After waiting for 45 minutes, I made it VERY clear to him that I wanted to play right then. However, he seemed to think it was acceptable to basically say "Oh I'm hungry gotta eat cya in 30 minutes."

Such behavior is not acceptable to me at all: If you're late for something it is in no way acceptable to delay the person waiting even more for your own needs that you can delay till later. Granted that since I eventually had to leave anyway, this might have been problematic. However, it was still very clear that I wished to play, and I told him that if he's gonna delay the game even more i'm just gonna leave and claim activity. Probably not realizing that I was serious, he gave a response that honestly just pisses me off.

And then the arguments he gives against me are extremely poor:
Dude, is really hard to scheulde with you, and i could played all the past days, i had difficulties with the timezone today, you are acting like a child posting this, we can perfectly play now.
EDIT: i eated as fast as possible
Just because you screwed up the timezone or are new to scheduling doesn't mean that all of a sudden, your mistake is forgiven and you can just spend some time to delay the game even more. Because my availability didn't coincide with your availability on other days doesn't mean that all of a sudden you are forgiven and that I am at fault: I suggested a time to play that worked for me, and you clearly agreed to it. We cannot "perfectly play now [in context, meaning at the time of teso's post]" because I had to leave minutes after that time: you had stretched my availability to the point where I was no longer available to play. I also don't care if you ate very quickly: because when I told you I wanted to play or i was logging off, you gave me a shitty response that indirectly says "well screw you I gotta eat i'll play you in 30 minutes," rather than "Oh I'm sorry for screwing up the timezones, i'll eat very fast or while we play so that we can get this match done." I made it clear that I was not waiting longer for you when I had things to do, and true to my word, I logged off (and ultimately had to leave regardless).

In a situation similar to mine with HaxED, I would ask for an extension. However, teso was not even online until 45 minutes after the scheduled time to play, and then, rather than trying to play once he got online, he decided to try to screw me up even more and create a convenient situation for him by saying he would play in 30 minutes after that. It would be highly insensible to fail to punish him for such actions, and a coinflip is just retarded. I honestly don't care if I seem like a john or something, because I am legitimately busy (no, I cannot play right now at the time of me writing this supposed "essay") and i'm not gonna accept this bull and just get inconvenienced every single game because of my opponent's incompetence at scheduling a game and sticking to that schedule.

Alright so I just got back because as I expected, after leaving PS a bit before 7, I had to leave the computer at 7:15 to do religious stuff (today is some significant indian day, something about the moon :O) and then have dinner etc. I am quite aware that I will be viewed negatively by the majority of spectators as they want to see a game, not an activity or coinflip. Although I was the one waiting for 45 minutes at the scheduled time, some might view me as a john just because I am calling activity and saying I don't have time to play. However, there are some things that prevent this situation from being as easy to resolve as I would like, which I will address below. I don't want this to escalate like my last tour match, and i have a lot of things to say, so i'll try my best to address this issue succinctly and clearly. I'm really not interested in reading something about "writing an essay but not playing my game: this isn't even an essay, and i'll address some differences to this seemingly common response to whenever I argue somewhere below).

Firstly, I need to talk about scheduling in general. Of the few times I have had scheduling conflicts, it was because of people's common assumption that people have a lot of free time to play whenever. Lets take the most recent example (Please note that this is not the focus of what I wish to say, and only serves to demonstrate a point. I realize now that it would have been better to just accept a screw up in my schedule due to a small mistake on my opponents part that he should not have been punished harshly for): my UU open game vs HaxED. What ended up happening was a good judgement call; since he made a mistake in communication but was still trying to play me, it was very reasonable to give an extended extension. The reason I got a lot of shit and similar comments to sabella's similar to "lol stop arguing just play" is because I made it clear that I was being highly inconvenienced due to his mistake and that I was very busy so I wouldn't have much time to play. I called activity at first because I was unaware he was waiting for me and hadn't checked smogon, when I thought I was waiting for him. The problem was that people seemed to think that we could just play once the miscommunication was cleared, 1 hour after the scheduled time. Unfortunately, I seem to be different from other people. When I schedule a game, I mean it to be then. I have other things going around after or before that time, and a 1 hour delay in that seriously messes with things I can cannot easily work around. In that specific instance, I had to go out within 20 ish minutes after the time we both realized the other was online (when we thought they weren't), which isn't nearly enough time to finish the match. It would not be a wise move on my part to just try to finish a game then, when if I have to leave in the middle of the game, I'll likely have to take a loss, which I wouldn't want. It needs to be clear that when I schedule a game, I go through the process of scheduling it so that my opponent and I are clear that we are meant to play at a certain time and no other.

It is also important to note that when I say I am busy, I legitimately mean that I am busy. Someone said

"i hate when ppl bitch about having no time
honestly
even cosines like 'nah im too busy studying act'
but he watches all the other games."

This, however, is not an accurate representation of what I mean when I say I am busy. If you care to notice, I have not been present at any of the current games live, and I'm not even sure when I last logged onto PS before today. My Youtube channel activity has also severely declined in the past week. Something that you guys wouldn't know, but I have consistently been studying till 1-2 AM or later every night and still finishing work for one class during the class before it. My schedule is generally organized and not so flexible that I can easily move around 1+ hour activities if my opponent fails to show up at a scheduled time.

Coming back the situation at hand: Teso and I scheduled for 6 PM GMT-4 (EDT, my timezone [it is currently 9 PM ish for me]). Teso indicated that his timezone was gmt-5. Then, he somehow confused the time (in terms of GMT+1 for whatever reason) [I actually am not sure how this happened, because his post in this thread correctly identifies our playng time as "playing monday at 6 pm GMT-4"] or f*cked up timezones or something, and arrived nearly 1 hour later than the scheduled time. After waiting for 45 minutes, I made it VERY clear to him that I wanted to play right then. However, he seemed to think it was acceptable to basically say "Oh I'm hungry gotta eat cya in 30 minutes."

Such behavior is not acceptable to me at all: If you're late for something it is in no way acceptable to delay the person waiting even more for your own needs that you can delay till later. Granted that since I eventually had to leave anyway, this might have been problematic. However, it was still very clear that I wished to play, and I told him that if he's gonna delay the game even more i'm just gonna leave and claim activity. Probably not realizing that I was serious, he gave a response that honestly just pisses me off.

And then the arguments he gives against me are extremely poor:

Just because you screwed up the timezone or are new to scheduling doesn't mean that all of a sudden, your mistake is forgiven and you can just spend some time to delay the game even more. Because my availability didn't coincide with your availability on other days doesn't mean that all of a sudden you are forgiven and that I am at fault: I suggested a time to play that worked for me, and you clearly agreed to it. We cannot "perfectly play now [in context, meaning at the time of teso's post]" because I had to leave minutes after that time: you had stretched my availability to the point where I was no longer available to play. I also don't care if you ate very quickly: because when I told you I wanted to play or i was logging off, you gave me a shitty response that indirectly says "well screw you I gotta eat i'll play you in 30 minutes," rather than "Oh I'm sorry for screwing up the timezones, i'll eat very fast or while we play so that we can get this match done." I made it clear that I was not waiting longer for you when I had things to do, and true to my word, I logged off (and ultimately had to leave regardless).

In a situation similar to mine with HaxED, I would ask for an extension. However, teso was not even online until 45 minutes after the scheduled time to play, and then, rather than trying to play once he got online, he decided to try to screw me up even more and create a convenient situation for him by saying he would play in 30 minutes after that. It would be highly insensible to fail to punish him for such actions, and a coinflip is just retarded. I honestly don't care if I seem like a john or something, because I am legitimately busy (no, I cannot play right now at the time of me writing this supposed "essay") and i'm not gonna accept this bull and just get inconvenienced every single game because of my opponent's incompetence at scheduling a game and sticking to that schedule.
in the time that took you writing that we could play at least one game, dude if and emergency happens and you cant be on the time you scheulded is your fault? no.. so i arrived my home got online and then my mom asked me to go eat, and i was online all the week you just cant arge for 1 miss for all my waiting, if you dont got time to play justask for sub or something, stop acting like a 10years old child.

EDIT: I can't ever imagine how do you had time to ladder 70 games to enter in this tournament and have no time to play 2-3 GAMES IN ONE ENTIRE WEEK, and even arging for an activity win when you wasnt online all the week except today.

Last edited:
EDIT: I can't ever imagine how do you had time to ladder 70 games to enter in this tournament and have no time to play 2-3 GAMES IN ONE ENTIRE WEEK, and even arging for an activity win when you wasnt online all the week except today.
Teso I get where you're coming from, but that doesn't change the fact that you still missed the schedule time, dude. His schedule 8 weeks ago won't be what it is now, so I don't necessarily see why you're comparing the two. Yesterday(for me im IST) was also a p auspicious day, so I get where FV is coming from. It's hard to find time during these kinds of days to play mons, hope you understand

Teso I get where you're coming from, but that doesn't change the fact that you still missed the schedule time, dude. His schedule 8 weeks ago won't be what it is now, so I don't necessarily see why you're comparing the two. Yesterday(for me im IST) was also a p auspicious day, so I get where FV is coming from. It's hard to find time during these kinds of days to play mons, hope you understand
he had one entire week to play, and i was this days expecting he could play earlier, i missed the time because i tought 6pm gmt -4 was 7pm in my time, but was 5 pm(i was busy at 5 so thats why i didnt got online) i never had problems playing with my opps bfore and i dont know why is he calling an activity win when there is 2 days left to play, is near impossible that a person cant find like 1-2hours to play 2-3 battles, if he cant find that time i think he should be subbed out or something because if you dont have time better dont play mons(neither get into a tour)

Glad to know that that in a tour where playoffs requires qualification I am free to to accidentally screw up timezones and miss a scheduled time so I can force my opponent who happens to be very busy during that time period play at a highly non-optimal timeframe. EZ strats to get the psychological advantage :]

Since it seems like jirachee loves to happen to be the/a tour host every time i have a scheduling problem (third times the charm?), the only time I think I might be able to play would be Wednesday night (sometime past 10 PM, not sure when specifically atm i might be free, and in my timezone [meaning 9 pm or later for you]). Hopefully that time will work out for me and doesn't have a conflict with teso24
Edit: just realized I have soccer wednesday but I definitely won't be able to play tuesday, so i'm gonna have to try (to play on wednesday ofc, ppl are misinterpreting this?)._.

Last edited:
Glad to know that that in a tour where playoffs requires qualification I am free to to accidentally screw up timezones and miss a scheduled time so I can force my opponent who happens to be very busy during that time period play at a highly non-optimal timeframe. EZ strats to get the psychological advantage :]

Since it seems like jirachee loves to happen to be the/a tour host every time i have a scheduling problem (third times the charm?), the only time I think I might be able to play would be Wednesday night (sometime past 10 PM, not sure when specifically atm i might be free, and in my timezone [meaning 9 pm or later for you]). Hopefully that time will work out for me and doesn't have a conflict with teso24
LOL "PSYCOLOGICAL ADVANTAGE" (he thinks i missed the schedule on purpose) okay men I will do my best for being at that time, I want to play this series and stop this drama

Since my attempt at scheduling (and pointing out a coincidence) was deleted, I will reiterate that I wish to attempt to play with teso24 wednesday night (sometime after 10 PM my time) because I can't think of any time with less conflicts.

Also that last post was like 90% sarcastic (I did not think my opponent missed the time on purpose, although he certainly did decide to initially attempt to delay our game by an extra 30 minutes before he eated his food fast). Playing right now is not possible for me (posting =/= good time to play)

EDIT: my browswer fk'd up my last post was not deleted, i just couldn't see it for some reason

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)