Smogon Premier League X - Week 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the tenth iteration of SPL, SPL X. In this tournament, 10 teams containing the best players on Smogon (except for Mr.E) play against each other and duke it out every week, attempting to gather as many wins as they can to reach playoffs. Some of them will fail, while others will bloom. Whatever the case, the matches will be exciting, so without further ado, here are tournament rules and the matchups!

Reminders:

On Sportsmanship
Note the sportsmanship infraction may be used liberally this SPL, and any unsportsmanlike conduct on the forums, in discord, or in opposing SPL team servers (I won't infract for you being a dick in your own SPL team server unless the situation is so extreme I feel I absolutely have to make an exception (consider basically any masterclass interaction ever)), will be grounds for an infraction. We encourage you to play semi-aggressively, but don't be a Masterclass.

~ Aldaron

On Scheduling Matches
I'm sure plenty of you have come across activity drama while scheduling matches. I'm here to reduce the arbitrary element associated with some of these decisions. It is entirely your decision to adhere to these STRONG RECOMMENDATIONS, but note that if you choose not to, I'll most likely ignore any pleading from your end.

YOU MUST ACTIVATE YOUR VM WALL IF YOU WISH TO PLAY IN THIS TOURNAMENT. THIS IS HOW ALL OFFICIAL SCHEDULING WILL BE HANDLED.

Once that week's thread is posted, you have up to 48 hours to contact your opponent ON HIS VM WALL
and mention your timezone and exactly what dates, what time ranges you are available, and where you will battle. Note that the default accepted sim and server is the official server on Showdown/Smogon Tournament Server. You must provide at least 3 different time ranges at least 48 hours from the timestamp of your message, with at least 2 that are 24-hours apart from each other. The minimum and maximum length for 1 time range is 30 minutes, and the minimum difference between the 3 required time ranges is 3 hours. If you give 3 time ranges that stick with this policy, you can give any additional time ranges at any time you please.

NOTE THAT THIS SCENARIO INVOLVES RESPONSE DYNAMICS; THERE IS SOMEONE WHO WILL CONTACT FIRST AND SOMEONE WHO RESPOND...THESE REQUIREMENTS ARE NOT FOR BOTH OF YOU TO ASSUME TO YOU CAN BE FIRST CONTACTS...WHOEVER CONTACTS FIRST IS THE FIRST, AND THE OTHER DEFAULTS TO THE RESPONDER. THIS SHOULD BE OBVIOUS BUT SOME OF YOU ARE DUMB.

Once your opponent has contacted you, you now have up until 72 hours after the week's thread has been posted (NOT after your opponent's message) to respond with times that are good for you. What this means is that if both of you spend the maximum time contacting and responding, you should have back and forth collaboration at a maximum of 72 hours after the round has been posted, with both parties given an additional 24 hours to prepare for the battle should it be scheduled as soon as required. If none of the opponent's proposed time ranges are good for you, you must respond with alternative time ranges.

The first opponent now has X hours to prepare for the battle (if the second opponent agreed to some time) or 24 hours to contact a TD if, for whatever reason, this second set of time ranges does not suit the first opponent. Note this should be an absolute last measure.

Once a time is agreed upon, please make a message on your opponent's VM wall between 10 minutes and 1 second before the agreed upon time and say you are ready to battle and then get to agreed upon location (regardless of whether or not your opponent sends you a response VM). Please protect yourself by making this message, as it makes decisions much easier. You will be required to wait for your opponent for the duration of the time range.

If neither of you contact each other before 48 hours after the thread has been posted, you're both opening yourself up to a potential no contest or substitution. If I look at the situation, I might just determine I'm going to no contest, or whatever based on however I'm feeling at that moment. Don't leave yourself and your team vulnerable to this.

Just because at anytime one of the responders does not respond within the given range does not give you automatic activity win credentials. If they don't contact at all on your VM wall up until 48 hours before the end of the round (note, I'm not going to take discord or sim messages as evidence due to how easily they can be doctored...so if you want to protect yourself, stick to the VM messages), then you obviously have activity win justification. You WILL contact your opponent in a timely manner. However, if they do contact you at all after the suggested response time and before 48 hours before the end of the round, you are required to respond before 24 hours before the end of the round with 2 1-hour time ranges at least 1 hour apart before the end of the round. The opponent, since he did not stick to the proposed response schedule, WILL BE REQUIRED TO PLAY AT ONE OF YOUR NEWLY SUGGESTED TIMES, so you have the advantage here. This obviously puts a bit of an emphasis on the last 48 hours of each round (as is standard operating procedure for most of our official team tournaments anyway), so I will try my best to keep the last 48 hours of the round as close to the majority of the weekend for as much of the world as I can.

If you follow all of these guidelines, you will a.) most likely get your match done with minimal issue or b.) protect yourself and your team from an undue no contest or activity decision. Yes, I hate activity decisions in official tournaments. Yes, I will do my best to prevent activity decisions in the playoffs (the qualifying round is fair game however and I will have no problem issuing an activity call here), but don't push your luck.

Here is an example of how following this would work:

Week 1 thread is posted June 7, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Its deadline is June 14, 2013 at 11:59PM. User A and User B are matched up. User A contacts User B on his VM wall on June 7, at 9:00 PM (47 hours after the thread was posted, so ok), and gives 4 time ranges: June 10, from 7:00-7:30 PM (22 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is only ok so long as at minimum 3 of the other proposed time ranges adhere to the requirements), June 11, from 9:00-9:30 PM (48 hours after the timestamp of his message, which is ok), June 12, from 6:00-6:30 PM (69 hours after timestamp of his message, so ok, but only 21 hours after the earliest time range that is 48 hours after the timestamp), and June 12, from 9:00-9:30 PM (72 hours after the timestamp, so ok, and 24 hours after a legal time range and 3 hours after another legal time range). The June 11 and both June 12 time ranges satisfy the requirements, so User A can propose his first June 10 time range as well. User B responds on June 10, at 8:00 PM (23 hours after User A contacted him, so ok), and picks June 11, at 9:00 PM to battle, which is ok because it is 24 hours after his own response.

You'll note I made most of my response ranges multiples of 24 hours, but also included 24 hours. This means I expect you to be able to check Smogon at least once a day. If that is not feasible, you put yourself at risk.

~ Aldaron

On Disconnecting and timing out drama
See here.

Standard Tournament Rules

---

Circus Maximus Tigers (8) vs Wi-fi Wolfpack (4)

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Kickasser
SM OU: Sacri' vs Charmflash
SM UU: Adaam vs Sjneider
SM RU: HarrisIsAwesome vs Welli0u
SM NU: Osh vs rozes
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Human
ORAS OU: Bro Kappa vs Santu
BW OU: dice vs TDK
DPP OU: k3nan vs DeepBlueC
ADV OU: zf vs UD
GSC OU: d0nut vs Fear
RBY OU: Kaz vs The Idiot Ninja

Congregation of the Classiest (3) vs Dragonspiral Tyrants (9)

SM OU: ZoroDark vs not CTC
SM OU: Insult vs BLUNDER SANTANA
SM UU: Shiba vs Accelgor
SM RU: Nat vs Mana
SM NU: Garay oak vs Christo
SM DOU: Mint16 vs emforbes
ORAS OU: baddummy vs ict
BW OU: Finchinator vs Poek
DPP OU: Void vs GaryTheGengar
ADV OU: thelinearcurve vs Gilbert arenas
GSC OU: Earthworm vs sulcata
RBY OU: Bedschibaer vs Heroic Troller

Team Raiders (6) vs Stark Sharks (6)

SM OU: bro fist vs Spectear
SM OU: The Hallows vs High Impulse
SM UU: Sage vs ToF
SM RU: SPACE FORCE meeps vs Teddeh
SM NU: Hipmonlee vs EviGaro
SM DOU: Biosci vs fespy
ORAS OU: Trosko vs Tricking
BW OU: Jirachee vs Kevin Garrett
DPP OU: SoulWind vs Tamahome
ADV OU: Cynara vs Triangles
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs Conflict
RBY OU: Kingler12345 vs Sceptross

Indie Scooters (6) vs Alpha Ruiners (6)

SM OU: Cdumas vs Empo
SM OU: FMG vs Rewer
SM UU: robjr vs Pearl
SM RU: lighthouses vs passion
SM NU: Realistic Waters vs lax
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs qsns
ORAS OU: Century Express vs imsosorrylol
BW OU: Ojama vs Hyogafodex
DPP OU: Aeroblacktyl vs Jimmy Turtwig
ADV OU: talkingtree vs eden's embrace
GSC OU: giara vs Lavos
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs FriendOfMrGolem120

Ever Grande BIGS (7) vs Cryonicles (5)

SM OU: Valentine vs HT
SM OU: Sabella vs Ajna
SM UU: soulgazer vs Leru
SM RU: UltraBallz vs Arifeen
SM NU: Kushalos vs elodin
SM DOU: Ezrael vs SMB
ORAS OU: xray vs obii
BW OU: FLCL vsv Energy
DPP OU: sig vs Malekith
ADV OU: Golden Sun vs Exiline
GSC OU: Googly vs ABR
RBY OU: Nails vs BHARATH_THEBEST

Deadline will be March 10th, 9:00 PM EST.

Last edited:

Nails

Double Threat
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
What's up bros its THE KING OF RBY HERE variance my ass i been body baggin clowns all over the place my lord. THE MAGMA BIGS are ready to make a playoff push this week, and with the help of the ruiners, cdumass will finally be sent home crying like the loser he is. GO BIGS!!!!

With another week in the books, another team has been added to the chopping block.

While not technically out yet, their negative BD and the fact that they play the best team in SPL this week means I'm just gonna go ahead and say they're fucked. So, let's get to the roster.

z0mog was very high on his team after the draft, as were the illustrious Smogon Power Rankings, which placed his team at #1. While I wasn't nearly as high on them as these individuals were, I did think they were a decent team with a chance to make playoffs if things fell into place. The Classiest were blessed with one of the best retain cores in the tournament, featuring the undisputed best adver thelinearcurve and doubles sensation Edu, who unfortunately underperformed in what has turned out to be a relatively even doubles field. They got a solid cheap pick in the draft in ZoroClick, who has shown enough ability to be worth more than 3.5k; this allowed them to patch up some holes in the roster as the season progressed. We can't discuss the Classiest without mentioning their franchise player, Finchinator, however. He went for an ABSURD 23.5k price tag, which far exceeds the caliber of player he is. Finch is definitely solid and I would be fine having him on my team...but for like 8-10k less mayb? like jesus. He's obviously a tryhard and can help everyone prep, but my philosophy just makes me disagree with this pick in general. Finch ended up having a rough tour, and basically eliminated his team by choking vs. TDK after getting every lucky break possible. Sad days.

Next we move on to the old gen core of Void and Earthworm. Void's a very solid player, but as we all know, spending over 5k on the nonsense variance madhouse known as DPP is a terrible idea. Void ended 3-4, underperforming relative to his skill level. However, as I have pointed out many times in the Commencement thread, almost every player is within 1 of game of .500 due to the relative lack of skill it takes to win a DPP game, so this isn't even entirely his fault. Next up is Earthworm...who might officially be crust. He was very underwhelming this tour and had some very shoddy performances, and it seems like the #crustrule should be in effect the next time he takes the stage. The Classiest also picked up what I consider to be an absurd amount of subs; the money wasted from this + the money spent on DPP / Earthworm / Finchinator ended up taking away from their skill level in other slots, ultimately causing them to fall short.

Now then, on to the predictions.

Circus Maximus Tigers (5) vs Wi-fi Wolfpack (7)

SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Kickasser | gama has fallen back 2 earth and without the sheet looker in me to back him, gonna favor kick. he won last week but LMAO hiye played p bad...
SM OU: Sacri' vs Charmflash | charm suffered his 1st loss last week but he's still been a threat and a half this yr
SM UU: Adaam vs Sjneider | this guy broke the tigers uu curse and beat pearl last week...
SM RU: HarrisIsAwesome vs Welli0u | the well been steppin up lately and i still dont think harris is good
SM NU: Osh vs Eternally | i think the bus stop slayer is worse than his record and eternally been underperformin a bit. nice bounce back spot in time for the playoffs
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Human | both players hav been p up and down so i'll take the more proven commodity
ORAS OU: Bro Kappa vs Santu | bro kappa used to b heat and i still cant get over santu's egregious display from 2 weeks ago
BW OU: dice vs TDK | tdk's solid obv but dice is better at bw. he's had a tough time in this tier but his skill level here is still top of the charts
DPP OU: k3nan vs DeepBlueC | this guy's been decent enough and k3nan is dogshit
ADV OU: zf vs UD | ud's been really bad this spl like...LOL my god he's played horrendously every time i watch him
GSC OU: d0nut vs Fear | sigh. one day fear will get haxed i swear. w/e. d0nut's been on a tear but fear's still better imo.
RBY OU: Kaz vs The Idiot Ninja | slightly better from wut ive seen

Congregation of the Classiest (3) vs Dragonspiral Tyrants (9)

SM OU: ZoroDark vs CTC | LMAO THE BASEDLORD IS IN LET'S GO!!!!!!!!!! LOOOL zoroclick's been solid enough but idk man. gut pick here w my boy ctc gonna bust out some lordsquad heatah fajita bullshit like specs mence and take the win
SM OU: Insult vs Blunder | still dont think insults good and blunder been body bagging every1 this yr jesus
SM UU: Shiba vs Accelgor | [VoD]Accelgor? LOL from wut i saw in snake he seems p decent i guess...and he has a lot of team support. not that convinced on shiba so.
SM RU: Nat vs Mana | mana's solid but this is nat's home
SM NU: Garay oak vs Christo | still not rly convinced that garay is solid. christo been heat he can def whip out some shedinja bullshit and win
SM DOU: EmbCPT vs emforbes
ORAS OU: Genesis7 vs ict | ya i still dont rly think genesis is that competent and leon is heat when he tries
BW OU: Finchinator vs Poek | both hav had relatively subpar tours but it's hard to pick finch after that display last week....
DPP OU: Void vs GaryTheGengar | void has fallen victim to the variance madhouse this year but he's still a better player than gary
ADV OU: thelinearcurve vs Gilbert arenas | linear's p heat and is def the best adver rn. marcop's been solid but.
GSC OU: Earthworm vs sulcata | ENFORCING THE #CRUSTRULE for this one. still not rly convinced sulcata's that good but earthworm's been p bad and via the #crustrule gonna go w the former underdog
RBY OU: Bedschibaer vs Heroic Troller | better player from wut ive seen

Team Raiders (5) vs Stark Sharks (7)

SM OU: bro fist vs Spectear | ya i dont rly think spectear's an spl caliber player LOL john's way better
SM OU: The Hallows vs High Impulse | amir's been p bad this tour dude LOL put him in a tier he played b4 plz not sm anymore
SM UU: Sage vs Lycans | sage surprised everyone by pickin up her 1st win last week. lightning doesn't strike twice tho.
SM RU: SPACE FORCE meeps vs Teddeh | i think meeps will bring out some innovative techs like last week to somehow take this one.
SM NU: Hipmonlee vs EviGaro | LOOOOOOOOL well accordin to hipmonlee's post last week he would actually play against an eliminated team...so basically he's gonna roll up with like 6 PU mons cuz he doesnt use good mons like snorlax in rby. and then hes gonna like outrage a fairy-type cuz he doesn't kno the type chart..ya wrap this up LOL
SM DOU: Biosci vs fespy | been havin a rough spl but i think hes better
ORAS OU: Trosko vs Tricking | godsko been obliteratin every1 this yr. god knows how the raiders got last w this guy for 6k LMAO
BW OU: Jirachee vs Kevin Garrett | KG THE BW OVERLORD OML phil is def gonna meme in some way this week i can feel it...and kg won me spl 5 in bw lol.
DPP OU: SoulWind vs Tamahome | what a game. unfortunately for soulwind, no one stops the KING of dpp.
ADV OU: Cynara vs Triangles | ......... u guys rly made me do it. bold fucking triangles 2 weeks in a row unbelievable. cynara honestly played like dogshit last week and won off matchup LOL still dont rly hav any faith in her to pull thru here.
GSC OU: Mr.378 vs Conflict | LMAO THE ICE BEAMER DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT BE IN SPL AGAIN LOOOL he had a fucking autowin if he just spun and spiked but somehow went hard forre on lax flamethrower and lost u cant make this up. woat gsc
RBY OU: Kingler12345 vs Sceptross | well. sceptross is still an rby main and kingler definitely isn't. congrats raiders uve managed to go 0-18 in gsc and rby LMAO unbelievable dude LOOOOOOOOOOOL

AND NOW WE GET TO THE IMPORTANT GAMES. WILL THE MAGMA BIGS OR THE SCOOTERS MAKE THE PLAYOFFS BROS!?!?!

Indie Scooters (5) vs Alpha Ruiners (7)

SM OU: Cdumas vs Empo | LOOOL cdumas must b prayin to god the scooters make it in dude. if the bigs make playoffs and he doesn't he's gonna get flamed off smogon LOOOL jesus fuck. cdickass been awful this yr and his 1 win is vs obi so. empo's been solid enough so gonna favor him.
SM OU: FMG vs Rewer | LOL had to give the scooters a donation somewhere huh. ur not convincin me rewer's not crust and he def doesnt play sm ou.
SM UU: robjr vs Pearl | pearl suffered a setback last week but no way the best uuer loses twice in a row
SM RU: lighthouses vs passion | this should b a close one. i still dont think diogos good and passion has had some underwhelming games. regardless, i'll trust in the upside for this one
SM NU: Realistic Waters vs lax | waters has been good but i'd take lax b4 the tour started and i'll take him here. better player
SM DOU: miltankmilk vs qsns | i don't rly kno who qsns is and i hav no reason to believe he's competent considerin he's a sub so.
ORAS OU: craing ;_; vs imsosorrylol | sorry been doin decent but ben gay's better. however, if u delay this game till late on sunday, there's a 100% chance this guy won't show up cuz hes a nervous ass clown LMAO so.
BW OU: Ojama vs Hyogafodex | the kingpin will b favored vs most ppl and this random dude is no exception
DPP OU: Aeroblacktyl vs Jimmy Turtwig | OML MOP IN DPP LET'S GOOOO!!!! hav 2 favor jimmy tho based on consistency
ADV OU: dekzeh vs eden's embrace | eden lost to a nosepass 2 weeks ago dude LOL he's not gettin favored vs. any1 in this tier
GSC OU: giara vs Lavos | LOOOL switching dickass giara to gsc isn't gonna fix anything. he's terrible at this tier and lavos is the best gscer. call it a snackwrap
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs FriendOfMrGolem120 | metal still overperformin a bit and i think fomg's better.

Ever Grande BIGS (7) vs Cryonicles (4)

SM OU: Valentine vs HT | ht's played bad in almost every game i've seen this yr...and that was in his main tier LOL val been solid enuff should b an easy win
SM OU: Sabella vs Ajna | bro me and lax got ajna for ou in llpl LMAO sabella always seems to come up with the wins in ou and ajna def has way less experience and way less motivation
SM UU: soulgazer vs Leru | bro leru's been like the worst player in spl LMAO jesus. sg usually comes thru so big edge here
SM RU: UltraBallz vs Arifeen | wasn't that impressed by UB last week. arifeen is the rutl and he'll def b motivated to bring this one home.
SM NU: Kushalos vs elodin | both been kind of up and down but kushalos is way more motivated and should come thru w some techs.
SM DOU: Ezrael vs SMB | both hav been p good lately and i don't rly hav a read here.
ORAS OU: xray vs obii | OML obi got another win last week but hard to see it here. the scanner's been p lit and should get to 7-2
BW OU: FLCL vs Energy | laurel's decent enough but flcl's been p solid this tour and is better in general
DPP OU: sig vs Malekith | the variance madhouse is back bros...hard to pick sig after he sacked dnite for no reason last week. malekith has more experience and has been solid enough
ADV OU: Golden Sun vs Exiline | ya i dont rly think exiline's good at all LOL should b an easy win.
GSC OU: choolio vs ABR | i think abr has a chance to be the 3rd best gscer rn...well he fucked around last week cuz of golem but LOL choolio's been underperforming relative to what i saw from him last yr but i think abr's better atm
RBY OU: Nails vs BHARATH_THEBEST

Pak

vortex
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I don't want to make a huge deal out of this since it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things, but the activity loss was simply unfair to me. We were officially out and I had a busy week ahead with tests/work/all the other shit so naturally I just wanted to be sit out for the week and chill. It was pretty clear from the start that john vs val was never going to happen, following my manager thinking it's hilarious to play musical chairs with our nu slot so I ended up as the only sub left. I'm honestly not sure why it took so long for both teams to sub, but I made it clear on Saturday, before Sam put me in, that my availability on Sunday was going to be shitty. Then apparently while I was at work on Saturday night I got subbed in anyway. I was legitimately gone all day today and couldn't reasonably find time to play, as shown by my interactions with kw in the act post itself, and I was never going to abandon irl commitments to play a game meaningless to my team in a tier I didn't know. I understand that I deserve a loss with the current rules in place, but why should I be penalized for something that I clearly had no control over and at what point does common sense come into play?

I'm super disappointed in myself but I want to shout out the Cryos for giving me a chance and letting me be a part of the team. Definitely not the way I wanted it to end but coming up on a dozen years since I played my first competitive game, I think it's time to move on.

Thanks for the memories.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Yearly reminder Daylight Saving Time is this Sunday.

Weekly reminder the Raiders have won as many GSC games this year as I have.
congrats raiders uve managed to go 0-18 in gsc and rby LMAO unbelievable dude LOOOOOOOOOOOL
lmao I didn't even notice RBY too, god it's worse* than I thought

*better :bloblul:

If they had one more win on a weekly basis, they would have nine points and be in the thick of the playoff hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)