Smogon Premier League IX - Week 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

GGFan

Banned deucer.
I, too, have made predictions! I promise I did not copy/paste them in a humorous attempt to mock someone. You believe me, don't you?

Circus Maximus Tigers (6) vs Philip Scooters (7)
SM OU: Eternal Spirit vs Philip7079 - I think gama is going to have fun and won't care that much while FV will bring some heat and win. btw gama i love brazil pls let me play with u guys in wcop.
SM OU: azogue vs Philip7080 - i don't think that someone is capable to read leftiez, but azogue can surprise us
SM UU: A Hero's Destiny vs Philip7081 - lycans has Nicolás Maduro on the back.
SM RU: lighthouses vs Philip7082 - as scooters' atmosphere is great even tho they are out they are motivated af so is feli, this is gonna be a tough one.
SM NU: Hootie vs Philip7083 - elodin is easily top 2 NUer it should be a close game but I think Hootie as tier leader (i guess) is thirsty for the win
SM DOU: MajorBowman vs Philip7084 - MajorGoatman.
ORAS OU: Nintendi vs Philip7085 - nintendi has that girl with pink hair from lazy town as waifu, i support waifus. i love brazil pls let me play with u guys in wcop.
BW OU: McMeghan vs Ojama - mcm builds are fire but ojama is terrific at pressuring his opps, this is by far the best bw game of the week.
DPP OU: Tamahome vs Philip7O86 - is tama brazilian? i think he is, brazilians are terrific at dpp. i love brazil pls let me play with u guys in wcop.
ADV OU: k3nan vs Philip7087 . - when i was going to play adv i tried to steal one of his teams but i ended up making BP because i am ass, anyway obliviate will win.
GSC OU: Century Express vs Philip7088 - i love brazil pls let me play with u guys in wcop.
RBY OU: Diegolh vs Philip7089 - Alexander's husbando is Goku and he was stunning in the last DBS episode p sure that prinz is excited and wants to smash someone like Goku vs Jiren however we haven't seen Jiren's max power yet so it has to be a close game where Jiren is Diegolh and we're gonna to see who survives in the tru battlefield.

Wi-fi Wolfpack (7) vs Dragonspiral Tyrants (6)

SM OU: soulgazer vs Will of Fire - supporting waifus
SM OU: Trosko vs Analytic - avril lavigne used to be good, isn't she like 40 now?
SM UU: Cynde vs Christo - that blonde chick from his avatar drives me crazy
SM RU: PokeTCG gamer1288 vs J0RIS - i like short names
SM NU: The Idiot Ninja vs The Goomy - this guy is nice.
SM DOU: marilli vs Lunar - i've seen this guy 24/7 on smogtours and discord i guess he loves this game so much.
ORAS OU: Rodriblutar vs psychicmewtwo - el rei
BW OU: SoulWind vs JabbaTheGriffin - can't wait to see who brings the best meme
DPP OU: Updated Kanto vs dice - can't predict agains my smogon sisters.
ADV OU: Astamatitos vs UD - asta defeated daddy mx in the only wcop that i wanted to play.
GSC OU: ABR vs Lavos - already won
RBY OU: Nails vs Tobes - :shaymin:

Team Raiders (9) vs Congregation of the Classiest (3)

SM OU: TDK vs Blackoblivion - tdk secretly likes lolis
SM OU: R!cardo vs Sabella - very rough spl but i think this is yours
SM UU: Pak vs Sacri' - pak has perla's blessing no wonder why he keeps winning (not sure about his record tho)
SM RU: mael vs Bouff - he is on fire
SM NU: Zukushiku vs Pohjis - if pak has perla, zukushi has fooly
SM DOU: Kaori vs EmbCPT - when we were teammates in jajapl you told me ''hope to see you in spl'' i thought it was a joke, nicest dude on smogon
ORAS OU: Gondra vs Znain - Peña Nietovs Nicolás Maduro english war
BW OU: BKC vs LuckOverSkill - BKC has no waifus but he has an irl harem.
DPP OU: roscoe vs NightFox - roscoe has the best dpp record, hasn't he?, err this could go either way tho but i think maduro is annoying fox irl
ADV OU: Jirachee vs thelinearcurve - he told me once that sub magnezone with hp ice is cool in bw2 however this isn't bw2
GSC OU: choolio vs Jimmy Turtwig - can you please bring muk?
RBY OU: MetalGro$$ vs Lusch - is lusch the guy with the venu avi? if yes, he will win.

Ever Grande BIGS (8) vs Cryonicles (4)

SM OU: Eo Ut Mortus vs HT - eoat. seriously though eo's been one of the better players in the tournament. big fan.
SM OU: bro fist vs ict - hard to predict against john here but ict is always a dangerous player with the stones to make the big plays. definitely not a 100% win for john.
SM UU: Manipulative vs Tman - i'm told tman is as motivated as he's ever been, and who doesn't love an underdog!
SM RU: Windsong vs Nat - this is low-key one of the hottest games of the week between what's probably the two best ru players this season.
SM NU: Kushalos vs London Beats - feels dirty to predict kushalos to win, but alas here we are. will probably run some broken z-move sweeper that's perfect for the match-up or something.
SM DOU: Jhon vs Biosci - jhon's been struggling and biosci's reputation in spl needs no reminding. play early if you can! #nojhons
ORAS OU: xray vs CrashinBoomBang - oof. haven't really a huge fan of xray's attitude and cbb is enjoying oras too much right now. latios isn't as bad as you make it out to be cbb smh.
BW OU: Posho vs Peasounay - well then. afaik peas actually does know bw btw, but posho seems like an unrealistically high hurdle.
DPP OU: d0nut vs Snou - snoup dogg is hot heat but d0nut's got more experience in dpp and the pop's support is no joke either.
ADV OU: Triangles vs Poek - it's always difficult to pick sides when it comes to triangles. curious to see which angle he's taking this week!
GSC OU: Mr.E vs sulcata - both have been good this tour, but i have a feeling mr.e's going to whip out mr.d for this one.
RBY OU: marcoasd vs Arii Stella - ok i think Ari Stella is some sort of twin brother with Transcendent God Champion aka Champion Lance, their philosophy is getting on my nerves and i'm triggered cause i cannot tell if these dudes are being serious or no anyway, Ari Stella about to drop the Lance speech and lose.

UHHHHHHH, OH HO HO HO HO!

xray

how u doin'?
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
won vs CBB gg. bro

Glad to still finish this regular season with a positive record. I could have clearly played better at some points and i wasnt too lucky in general but in the end i gotta blame myself for all of my losses.
Thx to the people who helped me a lot till now and sorry if i was a bit rude to some people in the heat of the battle :[
2-1, 5-4, 4-3, 5-4 my 4 SPLs till now, lmao RIP i stay mediocre

LGI BIGS WE CAN DO IT *_*

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
+Triangles: that is why
+Triangles: you dont put non mains
+Triangles: in rse

forgive me for stepping on your lawn big boy, just happened to forget that back in the good ol' days only ADV mains played ADV

Triangles

Big Stew
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
+Triangles: that is why
+Triangles: you dont put non mains
+Triangles: in rse

forgive me for stepping on your lawn big boy, just happened to forget that back in the good ol' days only ADV mains played ADV
Alright you have baited me.

I think my comment is well founded there cuz I am literally one of the weakest actual RSE players in the pool; most other guys are better than me. But one thing I have over the average joe is a shitton of experience in the tier, namely 42 SPL games of it.

On the other hand, when I tried to scout you for this week, I literally did not find one RSE game. And it was apparent that you didn't really know how to beat TSS when we played, simply because you're not familiar with it. I expect if I played SM vs you and you took a solid defensive team, you would completely shit on me 100 games out of 100 too, because you're a very good player in that tier and I just don't really know what to do. It's not a personal slight on you and I'm sorry if you took offense, just saying that it's hard for someone who doesn't really play RSE to do it well at the SPL level.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
Alright you have baited me.

I think my comment is well founded there cuz I am literally one of the weakest actual RSE players in the pool; most other guys are better than me. But one thing I have over the average joe is a shitton of experience in the tier, namely 42 SPL games of it.

On the other hand, when I tried to scout you for this week, I literally did not find one RSE game. And it was apparent that you didn't really know how to beat TSS when we played, simply because you're not familiar with it. I expect if I played SM vs you and you took a solid defensive team, you would completely shit on me 100 games out of 100 too, because you're a very good player in that tier and I just don't really know what to do. It's not a personal slight on you and I'm sorry if you took offense, just saying that it's hard for someone who doesn't really play RSE to do it well at the SPL level.
If you were to play SM vs me and I won, what I would have done is take my win and leave, no need to say anything unnecessary like you just did. We are here to play Pokémon (and read some drama), not to judge who plays what. That's the job of the managers to decide who plays what, not you. If you want to be respected and not feel bad whenever you recieve some random sass, then be humble, shut up, take your win and leave. If you're up to some sass though keep doing you.

Last edited:
Won vs Windsong in an incredible game to cap off an incredible season for me. I think you're one of if not the best RU player in history and it was wonderful to even have the chance to play you, thanks for making it a very enjoyable one.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7ru-356365 i brought the goons and it worked out.

After snake I truly thought i'd never end up in a teamtour again but it's funny how stuff works out in the end i guess. Big thanks to Zamrock and teal6 for trusting me, and Tony for always trusting me. I had a ton of loving friends to root for me this season like shiloh , passion , CrashinBoomBang and a ton of others. I appreciate you all n_n.

ty to Robert Alfons you were my test bud every week and i think you're very good, I hope you play in a trophy teamtour soon!

Biggest thanks to Kaori , you know you mean tons to me and i'm sure you're super proud of me :3.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I did miss a Toxic, Thunder, and every BSlam PAR forever before things finally swung my way. Umbreon also had to get through two PAR turns too, so if the Steelix crit didn't do you in, you still had a 25% to go through (which you needed to pass the first to even get a second turn to survive). Good unthaw though. I should have just kept Slamming knowing you're low, can't Curse behind Reflect anyway, and can keep boosting if you Rest (so Umbreon can't survive an unthaw anyway) or I force a 30% PAR Skarm out with the entire rest of my team regardless of what you WW in.

More importantly, you had no answer for Machamp anyway short of hoping I just never crit with my high-crit-rate move, which would've been pretty awful luck too had it happened instead.

you toxic'd starmie anyway it really didn't matter. idrc that much but you did get luckier. pokemon is pokemon and it's not like i didn't luck my opponents either.

edit: you get 2 crits on average if you hit all your cross chops. speaking that you only had 6 left the odds were still in my favor with skarm.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
It always matters in a probability-based game. Little advantages build off one another and subtly change the risk-reward of future lines of play. The faster I poison Starmie, the faster I can get to work on breaking it with Machamp without giving up Cloyster to get it out of the way, forcing it to Recover so I can stick Spikes at an opportune time, etc. Less chip damage on my team, less PP wasted in a metagame where that's actually relevant. The sooner I paralyze Umbreon, the sooner it's threatened by Curse because it's no longer able to fire off a Charm before eating boosted damage. Chip damage on Snorlax matters a lot, especially when the moveset isn't revealed yet, because damage pressures it into boosting less and Resting more.

Just because it isn't a gamebreaking crit KO at the perfect time doesn't mean those minor things don't matter. Taking advantage of the little things that go one's way and mitigating the ones that go against you is precisely what gives better players the edge long-term. It's just not worth complaining about unless the numbers go heinously against you, or one of the gamebreaking things happen, because that's literally the entire game. Sometimes you get truly ass luck and there's nothing you can do about it, that's the nature of a game like this, but it's not worth dwelling on those matches.

(And don't get mad at your opponent for it, folks. They don't control the RNG.)

First-shot freeze sucks, and for that matter the followup 10% PAR on Raikou, but the fact it happened early is academic as it was likely to eventually happen given the matchup. The expected result over time is that Machamp runs train on a team extremely vulnerable to it or Steelix/Snorlax roll over your team after breaking Umbreon, via paralysis or an unfavorable chain of Sleep Talks, because it was your only halfway decent answer to either (pending your Lax moveset, which only answers one of the two at best). Umbreon may well have been in danger of running out of Charm PP, even, since nothing else was particularly safe to switch into any of them other than Lax vs Lax. You would've needed above-average luck in the first place to win.

ok pokemon is luck and idrc as i've said, but don't spin this like you had the better odds. machamp crits 1-2 times on average and you need to have CCs left for umbreon. Skarm stalls out enough of them. Freezing was not a given in the slightest when umbreon is resttalk. In the end you got the toxic off on starmie and boomed on it anyway, in addition to para'ing the raikou, freezing, and critting what otherwise walled your team. It really doesn't matter if you got lucky or not, I just think gloating and trying to say you had the better odds is disingenuous.

tl;dr just let me have my salty 'gg i guess' post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)