Smogon Masters I - Top Cut Round 2 [REPLAYS NEEDED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

a fairy

is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Community Leader

Art by Blazenix

Welcome to the first edition of Smogon Masters! This is a Swiss bracket, Bo3 tournament with each set consisting of ORAS OU, SM OU, and SS OU. Players will decide which metagame to play first, then the loser picks a different generation for the following game. If both players cannot agree on a metagame to play first, each round will have a default generation randomized at the start of each round. After several rounds of the swiss bracket, a top cut according to record and resistance will be created and a Bo3 single elimination tournament will determine who wins Smogon Masters and the trophy
1695001107602.png

Rules & Tournament Format

General Tournament Rules

• This is a tournament that will employ the standard rulesets for ORAS OU, SM OU, and SS OU.
  • Smogon Masters I will be a swiss tournament.
    • Players will be automatically dropped when they hit three losses as they are no longer in contention for top cut.
    • Players will be assigned a random opponent out of the pool of players with the same record as you each round.
    • More information on the specifics of the swiss will be placed in the HIDE tag below.
  • Rounds will be Best of Three -- one game of each tier.
  • Matches are to be played on Pokemon Showdown!. If you can't agree on which server to play on, the Smogtours server is the default option.
  • Saving replays is required and must be posted in each winpost starting in the second round
  • There are no extensions due to the nature of a swiss tournament, so please get your games done on time.
  • Finchinator is the primary host of this tournament while Lady Salamence, Eledyr, and Frozoid will be the co-hosts.
Activity Decisions / Coin Flips: In the event that there is an uncompleted match at the deadline, it will be coin flipped unless one or both of the players involved in the match specifically request an activity win and explain sufficiently why they deserve to win over their opponent. Attempting to schedule a battle is required in order to receive the win by activity. To make it clear that you are requesting an activity win when you post, you must open your post with "Activity Win Request" in bold.

For example, if you believe your opponent is making an unfair request and that they don't deserve the activity win over you, you can either make your own request or quote their post and explain why they don't deserve it. You should try to make your activity win request posts at least 24 hours before the deadline to give your opponent a reasonable opportunity to contest it with their own activity win request.

In case of disconnections, if you played in the SmogTours server, call a Tournament Director as soon as possible and we'll see about the possibility of having a rematch.

This was written by Lady Salamence -- thank you!

This tournament uses a Swiss format, where everyone plays until they lose three times, or until Play-Ins / Top Cut begins after Round 9. The Top Cut will be single elimination and based on a 64-player bracket. All matches will be a Best of 3, involving ORAS OU, USUM OU, and SWSH OU.

In the first three rounds, a number of Byes will be placed in the tournament to hit the 768-participant number, to ensure a participant count that works well with Swiss tournament structure. These Byes will exist until Round 3, successively lowering in the Swiss structure – in Round 2, some number of 0-1 players will receive Byes, and in Round 3 some number of 0-2 players will receive Byes.

During the final round, Round 9, three players will have an 8-0 score. These three players have the option to play a Round Robin to lock in their seedings. They may choose to forfeit their games and receive the worst Resistance seeding of the three. Should a Round Robin be fully played and end in 1-1 for each player, their placings/resistance scores would stay identical to before the Round Robin.

Once Round 9 concludes, there will be 69 players qualified (7-2 score or better) for Playoffs. These players will be ranked by Resistance, which is the cumulative win percentage all of their opponents throughout the Swiss phase. The ten 7-2 players with the lowest Resistance (the smallest cumulative win percentage) will play against each other for the final 5 slots, with the first 59 going to the players with higher resistances and scores. Once Play-Ins are finished, Top Cut begins.

Round 2: (ordered by default seed expectation, then by higher seed)
[32] MS3D vs clean [65]
[2] Rewer vs Empo [31]
[3] Zaza vs fade [35]
[4] xray vs 3d [36]
[37] Ash KetchumGamer vs PikachuZappyZap [60]
[6] Ewin vs Skyrio [27]
[7] damien the genius vs DonSalvatore [26]
[8] weird mon vs Savouras [25]
[9] Santu vs LpZ [41]
[10] London Beats vs TPP [23]
[11] Dj Breloominati♬ vs Fardin [22]
[12] Niko vs Luthier [44]
[13] Lusa vs Giannis Antetokommo-o [20]
[46] Zokuru vs Leru [51]
[15] SoulWind vs DugZa [47]
[17] Garay oak vs MichaelderBeste2 [49]

Ordered by a bracket's POV where Line 1 will face Line 2, winner of which would face winner of Line 3 vs Line 4, etc. (Challonge, etc)
[65] clean vs MS3d [32]
[49] MichaelderBeste2 vs Garay oak [17]
[9] Santu vs LpZ [41]
[4] xray vs 3d [36]
[13] Lusa vs ([20] Giannis Antetokommo-o vs Star [45])
[60] PikachuZappyZap vs Ash KetchumGamer [37]
[2] Rewer vs Empo [31]
[15] Soulwind vs DugZa [47]
[3] Zaza vs fade [35]
[51] Leru vs Zokuru [46]
[6] Ewin vs Skyrio [27]
[11] DJ Breloominati vs Fardin [22]

Start Top Cut Round 2 in the top seed's preference of generation. Thanks. Extensions are possible but will be granted on host discretion.

Round 1 extension deadline: December 13th, 10PM GMT-4
Round 2 deadline: December 17th, 10PM GMT-4

Replays are required to be saved all tournament and posted.

Last edited:
65] clean vs MS3d [32]
[49] MichaelderBeste2 vs Garay oak [17]
[9] Santu vs LpZ [41]
[4] xray vs 3d [36]
[13] Lusa vs ([20] Giannis Antetokommo-o vs Star [45])
[60] PikachuZappyZap vs Ash KetchumGamer [37]
[2] Rewer vs Empo [31]
[15] Soulwind vs DugZa [47]
[3] Zaza vs fade [35]
[51] Leru vs Zokuru [46]
[6] Ewin vs Skyrio [27]
[11] DJ Breloominati vs Fardin [22]

[2] Rewer vs Empo [31]

mu of the round bruh. rewer was the one that founded empoverty for 3k back in the day.

the way rewer has been playing has been insane, i always knew he had that dawg in him. hopefully he can compete with empo's mastery of 6-8. overall gl to both of my friends, hope to see some good matches.

Last edited:

bruno

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
World Defender
wait so like.. you are telling me you can play a whole 9 rounds which is like 3 months of swiss rounds, finally make the playoffs, then just lose if you are 15 minutes late to the game?

i like ima but im not even friends with him, if anything im more friends with leru, but this just seems messed up. If you look at his posts he is so willing to play I cant help but feel bad. All these tournaments just get the rounds extended to shit anyway, why not give them time to play the round? He messed up the timezone and afterwards tried everything in his power to get the game done at any convenient time for leru on a reschedule.

I understand why the rules are set up as they are but surely it can be more of a case-by-case basis. This is playoffs: The players had to give a lot to get all the way here. Leru is just abusing the rules, but you cant really blame them. Still, am i really the only one that thinks this is just not the right way to wrap things up here? What if im 15 minutes late to play the finals? I would assume my opponent wouldnt get the act win. Well, this is like 4 wins away from the trophy already, is it really that different?

wait so like.. you are telling me you can play a whole 9 rounds which is like 3 months of swiss rounds, finally make the playoffs, then just lose if you are 15 minutes late to the game?
9 weeks of pure investment getting voided because your opponent hates you and decided to play by the rules and not the game, then bragging about it on servers
for a 8 pixels trophy, ppl have dropped their fairplay.

It's just so funny to me that by virtue of scumming the activity win and technically getting 1 step closer to the trophy, leru has actually managed to move 2 steps back in everyone's perception. There's no money on the line, no future tournament invite, getting an act win doesn't give you a chance to practice a high level set vs a high level opponent, you actually are only playing for other people's validations in a tournament like this... which you've just lost all of anyway! Hahaha

I don’t normally post for things like this but I feel like I should give my opinion on the matter. I think the rules are correct as they are and should be enforced as such, although I would also make it 30 mins for individuals like it is for team tournaments, instead of 15. Let’s be honest, your time might be precious but it’s not that precious, and you have to be flexible when scheduling a bo3 of a tournament like this either way, because unless one of the players is using straight up ho all 3 games (a scenario only reserved for a handful of individuals), it’s possible and in some cases even likely that the series will end up being long and drawn out. I think it’s completely reasonable and would help avoid situations where a player is just that bit too late because of an unexpected situation.

Now, you might tell me this change wouldn’t affect the series at hand at all, and that’s true. However, here’s my second point: the “honor system” previously associated with smogon that a certain someone (BKC obviously) always mentions and claims to have disappeared is, in my opinion, still there, albeit a lot more diluted and perhaps not always perceptible or visible. Consider the following: how many times do you see this sort of thing happen, especially at this stage in tournaments like this (which is when it most hurts for the player who missed the time)? Very rarely. I have seen a lot more cases where the opposite happens, both agreeing to reschedule and/or extend the series. Sure, the system “rewards” the people that want to game it, but those are very few people to begin with and on top of that they are almost always subject to criticism from the other vocal players involved (or not) with the tournament when they pull of stuff like this, which is most certainly not very pleasant. You could argue it’s different for teamtours, because people tend to feel a lot more compelled to “fish” there, given that they are part of a team and not just playing for themselves, but obviously there’s the option to sub someone in for the missing player in those, so I deem it quite balanced in both cases.

I’m not trying to shame Leru with this post, rules are there for a reason and I don’t consider someone “scummy” just because they tried to stick to them to their benefit. In the same way, I understand how Ima felt, and why he acted the way he did, although I can’t really condone people going after someone to spam them. All in all, I think it’s obviously sad and unfortunate for Ima’s tournament to end like this, but it’s a very unusual case and, in my opinion, not one that happens often enough for me to think the rules need a fix or a stronger case by case approach. Of course, I understand why someone would disagree with what I just said in this post, but to you I say: blame the game, not the player. If you want rules to be changed ask for it in the pertinent thread and the proper way, no need to lynch someone for following the rules when it improved their chances of winning this tournament.

Last edited:
If your "9 weeks of pure investment" are so important for you, you should be able to show up on a time you decided on.
chill out, I'm just pointing out that asking for an activity win under such conditions is dishonest no matter what the rules stipulate, especially since we, the players, have been finding it absurd for a long time that it's possible for activity wins to be so accessible and that at every major, conflicts like this are always created.
But HERE, we had a proof that a player is clearly acting like this out of sheer hatred for a dispute that happened several months ago, when he had the chance to play since he obviously had the time to brag and write long texts treating his opponent with various insults.
I kindly ask considering a reverse of this decision a fairy , I believe we are not writing all these messages to not see this situation evolve in a positive way, thanks

Last edited:
I would also make it 30 mins for individuals like it is for team tournaments, instead of 15.
Most activity wins come from people missing the scheduled time entirely, not being 16 mins late and activity sharked. Increasing the time period to 30 will only waste more of peoples time, and the more I feel like someone is wasting my time the less likely I am to try and reschedule with them.

Floss

never forgotten
is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributor
Monotype Leader

I understand why the rules are set up as they are but surely it can be more of a case-by-case basis. This is playoffs: The players had to give a lot to get all the way here. Leru is just abusing the rules, but you cant really blame them. Still, am i really the only one that thinks this is just not the right way to wrap things up here? What if im 15 minutes late to play the finals? I would assume my opponent wouldnt get the act win. Well, this is like 4 wins away from the trophy already, is it really that different?
If you go on playing a tour that will still take over a month to finish than you should also be able to at least give your opponents 30 minutes to play a series instead of act fishing
chill out, I'm just pointing out that asking for an activity win under such conditions is dishonest no matter what the rules stipulate, especially since we, the players, have been finding it absurd for a long time that it's possible for activity wins to be so accessible and that at every major, conflicts like this are always created.
I'm not sure I understand the point of posts like these considering the situation that happened, which is Leru taking an activity win after waiting for 40 minutes. Did people just want to take their chance to comment on the situation without actually reviewing it, or knew the situation and wanted to make disingenuous comments regardless? When there was a thread in Tournament Policy after the OLT debacle, there was not enough push for a change to 30 minutes of waiting for an individual tour. It gives the impression that people are more interested in scoring points by taking shots at anyone who claims an activity win at a latter stage of an official, rather than trying to fix the core issue.

I suspect that even if the wait timer was extended to 30 minutes, people would have an issue with the activity win being requested after 35-40 minutes as long as the player losing by activity is well-known. This is evident even here, since Leru waited 40 minutes for someone who missed time by 2 and a half hours, but has received this kind of response from numerous people. Maybe people would support the rule about a free reschedule being warranted for anyone who missed the first time? There was a policy thread on that topic as well, and it received no support (and for good reason). If anyone legitimately has concerns with the current state of the activity rules for individuals, it would be a better use of their time to tackle the issue in threads like these instead of piling on anyone who follows the current rules.

lax

cloutimus maximus
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 10th Official Ladder Tournamentis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
RBTT Champion
I’d already shared how I feel about this general situation in the OLT thread months ago, but I think people are missing the point of the posts that support ima.

I do want to preface that I’m biased as ima is a good friend of mine, but if any friend of mine was calling act like this and demonstrating 0 intent to wanna reschedule or play the game, I’d still call them out.

The obvious thing is Leru is within his “Smogon rules rights” to call act and claim it. No one disputes this and it was never the point of any of these posts. The idea is that we’re all playing god damn Pokémon, so we should be trying to actually play Pokémon. Sure, his time was wasted. That truly does suck; time is our most precious resource. However, ima wasn’t being an asshole about it and simply did all he could to reschedule and get a new time done. He was willing to sacrifice to get this done by playing at unholy times or whatever condition Leru would have requested, because he knows it’s his fault for missing the time. The idea is that Leru made 0 attempts to reciprocate this, even though this match could have been extended. Instead, he’s telling people on Discord that he knows that he is being petty, and is ultimately choosing not to attempt any rescheduling.

People on this thread gravely misunderstand what’s going on here. Seeing posts saying “Leru’s in the right here because it’s the rules” is honestly baffling. I don’t care if he’s “within his rights” to call act speaking as a spectator and a player myself, I think it’s just gross to not attempt to reschedule at all. I think it’s weird to not want to actually do what you came to this site to do: to play some competitive mfing Pokémon.

Like I shared during OLT, my issue is that people think these rules are the end all be all, that these rules means that it’s not fucking wack that he isn’t trying at ALL to get the game done, lol. The way Leru talked about being petty, you’d think ima pissed in his bed or kicked him in the balls. No, he’s being petty that ima left his cesspool of a server (but still played his games for ADVPL btw) because ima was going through stuff IRL.

This is why people are upset. If you’re the type to take an act win without even trying to reschedule, you need to get your priorities straight. We are here because this game is pretty awesome; we are not here because we value pixels more than we value playing the actual game, no?

I think each of these cases can be pretty context dependent. If some dude is being rude or demanding during scheduling, yeah maybe it annoys you to want to take act and not deal with them. If someone that you’ve been on good terms with, dare I say a standout Smogon user, made a mistake or had an unexpected event come up, I’d truly hope that most people would be willing to cooperate to get the series done. The issue I have is that it’s just not how our culture here is. People see the “better chance at winning the tournament” or whatever cope shit I read above and value that more than the experience of playing the game. Your time is valuable, but so is your dignity and passion for the game. My take is that you should respect them and remember why we all play on this website.

Tl;dr: It’s too late to do anything anyways, but I’m tired of the posts saying “He was within his legal right to call activity.” It’s Pokémon lmao, just play ?

Zokuru

The Stall Lord
is a Tiering Contributor
I would like to bring to the attention of the Tournament Director a fairy that, more than 24h prior to this post, I highlighted Leru in this thread, asking him to unlock his wall and profile, according to the tournament rules. In response to that, Leru didn't comply to my request, and instead scheduled on my profile. However, the rules don't give such an option, and mandate the asked person to open his profile to public.

In virtue of the rule quoted below and that you can find here, I'm requesting an action to be made regarding this case. I would also bring to the attention of everyone, that Leru used the rules in his advantages the whole tournament to gather wins, so he probably knows that he's trying to bypass the rules by scheduling on my profile.

- Your Smogon profile must be set to public. A person has the right to request their profile be set to public through a tag in the thread, and failure to comply within 24 hours may result in a disqualification.
The rules are made to make the tournament scene a fair place, and encourage a sportmanship conduct, which Leru hasn't shown, therefore, I have to make this post, even though I wouldn't go to such lenghts in normal circonstancies.

Screen with time GMT +1 of Leru not complying to the unlock of his profile : 1702395258479.png

Larry

formerly Leru
is a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
I would like to bring to the attention of the Tournament Director a fairy that, more than 24h prior to this post, I highlighted Leru in this thread, asking him to unlock his wall and profile, according to the tournament rules. In response to that, Leru didn't comply to my request, and instead scheduled on my profile. However, the rules don't give such an option, and mandate the asked person to open his profile to public.

In virtue of the rule quoted below and that you can find here, I'm requesting an action to be made regarding this case. I would also bring to the attention of everyone, that Leru used the rules in his advantages the whole tournament to gather wins, so he probably knows that he's trying to bypass the rules by scheduling on my profile.

The rules are made to make the tournament scene a fair place, and encourage a sportmanship conduct, which Leru hasn't shown, therefore, I have to make this post, even though I wouldn't go to such lenghts in normal circonstancies.

Screen with time GMT +1 of Leru not complying to the unlock of his profile : View attachment 579009

See you on friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)