Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Block is better. You run Block + Spite to trap opposing Toxapex and other bulky Pokemon that cannot pivot out or break Toxapex. Infestation does very little due to the turn limit and passive nature of Toxapex, thus meaning it cannot kill the Pokemon within the limited amount of turns.

Block + Spite + Recover + Scald or Knock Off is the main viable trapping Toxapex.
What about Block + Toxic for trapping things besides pex?

You do not trap either of these though. Both run Teleport and can get out of it, so that seems pointless, especially with Blissey having Natural Cure or Slowbro having the ability to Regenerate off Toxic damage.
I must be confused. Block stops them from escaping via Teleport according to bulbapedia?

"Block prevents the target from switching out or fleeing (including via Teleport)."

It does not, no.
Huh... so bulbapedia is wrong then. Interesting, thanks.
No, Bulbapedia says it correctly. It says that you cannot escape in generations 3-4 with the move. However, if you go to the page for Teleport, you see that the move changes to avoid trapping in later generations.
hi, this is my last post on the topic, because its obviously a pretty trivial matter overall, but on the Teleport page on bulbapedia, it says teleport will succeed regardless of trapping moves... if the user is holding a smoke ball. (This listed under the Gen 6 change).

I'm very sorry if I'm missing something

Finch edit: it's fine -- no point dragging this out, but the LGPE/Gen8 text for Teleport implies it switches out

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Random question, but does anyone know what the best EV spread is for bulky setup volcarona?
I would almost definitely run at least 112 speed EVs with a Timid nature; this means that you get the jump on Obstagoon and Kyurem running non-speed boosting natures, Blaziken, Adamant Landorus, tank Garchomp, and a number of other options while also outrunning common Dragapult, Spectrier, and Zeraora at +1 no matter their nature and EV spread. Throw the rest into HP and PDef.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
Wait, now I'm confused after reading the recent discussion. What exactly is block Toxapex supposed to do in the first place?

I also have a couple questions of my own. Aside from Volcarona, that cancer inducing Magearna, Garchomp, Spectrier, pokemon with speed weather abilities like Excadrill and Dragonite, who are some other good sweepers that can consistently perform in ou?

And aside from Spectrier because this thing is hilarious, are choice scarf sweepers like Kartana also a good pick in this meta? If yes, who are some good scarf sweepers aside from Kartana?

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Wait, now I'm confused after reading the recent discussion. What exactly is block Toxapex supposed to do in the first place?
PP Trap other Pex so a stall team can beat an opposing stall team.

I also have a couple questions of my own. Aside from Volcarona, that cancer inducing Magearna, Garchomp, Spectrier, pokemon with speed weather abilities like Excadrill and Dragonite, who are some other good sweepers that can consistently perform in ou?
You named the main ones others include Kartana, Rillaboom, Landorus-T, Tornadus-T are some for different reasons.

And aside from Spectrier because this thing is hilarious, are choice scarf sweepers like Kartana also a good pick in this meta? If yes, who are some good scarf sweepers aside from Kartana?
Well most scarf mons outside of Kartana are things like pivots/revenge killers such as Landorus-T, Magearna. They're not necessarily sweeping per say and it's more based on team composition.

Since when did Mean Look's effect terminate if the user switched out? I don't remember that effect happening in all generations with Mean Look. Also would using Mean Look then Perish Song ever work as a strategy?

Since when did Mean Look's effect terminate if the user switched out? I don't remember that effect happening in all generations with Mean Look. Also would using Mean Look then Perish Song ever work as a strategy?
Perish trapping is a strategy (there's other moves with trapping effects that also work), but it's kinda niche and only works against passive mons. On top of that, there are three problems preventing it from seeing use.
  1. There are not a lot of Perish Song users.
  2. There are not a lot of OU viable perish song users.
  3. There are not a lot of OU viable perish song users that get trapping moves.
If you really want to use perish trapping, your best bet is probably Azumarill, as it tends to invite in things that are susceptible to this gimmick. Primarina could also work I guess but it's got better things to do. Since you specifically mentioned Mean Look I assume you used this strategy with Gengar. Unfortunately, Gengar is quite frail and there's a good chance it won't live three turns for it to activate. or you could just, you know, use offensive Gengar...

Also, trapping moves have always terminated when the user switches out, I don't think that was different at any point.

GeniusFromHoenn

Finding my way
is a Tiering Contributor
UPL Champion
What are the pros and cons of Excadrill and Dracozolt in Gen 8 OU? What are the pros and cons of these two sand rushers? And more importantly, who is better in most situations?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)