Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread (read the op before posting a thread)

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Well that's why i put the qualifiers 'in the early game' and "don't just let it happen to you." If you let ANY mon get 6 stat boosts you're likely in a really bad spot.
What do you mean? You said that Steel-types stop Espeon in the early game when they're actually set up fodder. And my calc was +3 not +6

What do you mean? You said that Steel-types stop Espeon in the early game when they're actually set up fodder. And my calc was +3 not +6
252 Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 229-270 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I mean, just for example, I wouldn't call that 'setup fodder.'

And I said 6 boosts cause you calc'd +3 SpAtk and mentioned +3 speed as well.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
252 Atk Metagross Meteor Mash vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 229-270 (84.5 - 99.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I mean, just for example, I wouldn't call that 'setup fodder.'

And I said 6 boosts cause you calc'd +3 SpAtk and mentioned +3 speed as well.
Of course if your opponent has the only Steel type that 2hkos Espeon through Kee Berry and 4x resists Stored Power you won't try to set up with it early game when you have at least 3 other recipients lol I assumed you knew that. And not every team has a Mega Metagross, even more now that it's banned in the suspect ladder, which was already up by the time he posted his question here

e: in case I didn't express my opinion clearly, I'm not implying that Espeon is some sort of unbeatable Speed recipient, I'm just trying to say that having a Steel type not named Gross isn't enough to stop it from setting up and snowballing

Does Zygarde have a particular spread for its CB set, or does it go with the standard Max/Max (Nature?) for EV's? I see a lot of discussion for it, and I'm interested to try it out to weigh in on a proposal about its rank, but I wnat to make sure I'm using the right set if so.

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Does Zygarde have a particular spread for its CB set, or does it go with the standard Max/Max (Nature?) for EV's? I see a lot of discussion for it, and I'm interested to try it out to weigh in on a proposal about its rank, but I wnat to make sure I'm using the right set if so.
Max Speed and Attack is the standard and probs best spread. You could go a little bulkier but losing on some crucial Speed ties sucks and its natural bulk is great already

Max Speed and Attack is the standard and probs best spread. You could go a little bulkier but losing on some crucial Speed ties sucks and its natural bulk is great already
Is there a definite answer on Adamant vs Jolly, or is the latter typically preferred for Lando-T and to tie Lele and such?

And what are the moves overall, mainly the 4th (ES, TA, Outrage assumed)?

Leo

after hours
MPL Champion
Is there a definite answer on Adamant vs Jolly, or is the latter typically preferred for Lando-T and to tie Lele and such?

And what are the moves overall, mainly the 4th (ES, TA, Outrage assumed)?
Jolly is fine I guess but 100 Base Attack is just low for OU standards so you usually want Adamant for max damage output (especially because your most spammable STAB is 90 base power). The last slot is usually either Toxic for Tang and Lando, Iron Tail for Bulu and Clefable, or Superpower for Chansey

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned deucer.
What threat list are You trying to hit with banded Zygarde? Little more special defense might let it avoid 2 hit KO,s from important HP ice users and most of the time You'd use Zygarde to force a switch anyhow, so speed might not mean to much

Idk how badly You wanna speed ties with lele tho

How do I find out how many matches I've played on the suspect ladder? I lost count

Last edited:
What threat list are You trying to hit with banded Zygarde? Little more special defense might let it avoid 2 hit KO,s from important HP ice users and most of the time You'd use Zygarde to force a switch anyhow, so speed might not mean to much

How do I find out how many matches I've played on the suspect ladder? I lost count
In any of the chatrooms or during your battles just type /rank and it will show you record, coil, gxe, etc

Is Grass Knot feasible to use instead of HP Ice for coverage on Thundurus-T?
I guess if you're using it to beat stall. Against any other play style, not being able to hit Lando-T/Zygarde is too much of a risk. I can only see you using it for Quag tbh, and Hippo I guess? But Hippo rarely carries Stone Edge any more and can only WW/Toxic you while you seriously dent it with +2 HP Ice.

What's the stuff I've heard about Kartana stall?

Also, when does Showdown decide to add the new Mega stones (gen 3 starters) / in general?

I know nothing about Kartana stall, but it's not that showdown decides when to add the stones. If you go into custom or whatever, they should work.

Unless I've missed some release information, then showdown has been adding the mega stones back fairly soon after each time they get event released in game.

What would be the best moves to use on Shift Gear Magearna? The analysis is somewhat dated. I was thinking of Fluer Cannon, Flash Cannon and Aura Sphere with a Fairium Z.
Honestly, there is no best set with Magearna. It's one of those mons where you pick and choose what you want it to beat. The set you suggested is a good one, although Flash Cannon is perhaps redundant there. BoltBeam + Fightium/Fairium/Steelium Z can also be used; other options such as Focus Blast v Aura Sphere have to be considered, but there is no simple answer to this I'm afraid

From what I've seen most Choice Scarf Greninjas have an EV spread of 16 Atk / 240 SpAtk / 252 Spe with a Speed boosting nature. Does anyone know what the 16 Attack EVs do? I've tried doing damage calcs but I couldn't find an answer myself.

What's the stuff I've heard about Kartana stall?

Also, when does Showdown decide to add the new Mega stones (gen 3 starters) / in general?
check out this post from earlier by Finchinator regarding Kartana stall
https://puu.sh/vz1Ge/bf283fd8db.txt
This team is highly powerful and constructed by Sun and Moon Overused mastermind p2, so be careful when attempting to properly wield such an innovative and successful squad.

Showdown will release the mega stones whenever Gamefreak does.

Any reason as to why Latios doesn't typically run Soul Dew over Life orb? Given that its suppose to be a semi reliable check to a lot of Pokemon Like Zard Y and Keldeo, wouldn't the lack of passive damage from Soul Dew be more beneficial than the slightly extra damage Life Orb provides to better check these mons?

Any reason as to why Latios doesn't typically run Soul Dew over Life orb? Given that its suppose to be a semi reliable check to a lot of Pokemon Like Zard Y and Keldeo, wouldn't the lack of passive damage from Soul Dew be more beneficial than the slightly extra damage Life Orb provides to better check these mons?
The power difference is so important, and hugely noticeable. Certain calcs happen with coverage moves such as not being able to 2HKO Ferrothorn after a Protect if you're not running LO or for instance there being a chance to OHKO Tran with Surf after Rocks if you're running LO. You're guaranteed to OHKO offensive Landorus-T with Draco, while having a much higher chance of OHKOng defensive variants after rocks than you would with Soul Dew. Things such as not being able to cement the OHKO on bulkier Zygarde spreads come into play too, or even missing the chance to OHKO bulky M-Scizor with HP Fire thanks to the lack of power from Soul Dew.

I'm sure there are more examples of where this power drop is noticeable. The only time I could see Soul Dew being a genuinely useful tool is if you're using Lati to Defog more than you are to break through teams, but tbh, Latios is so disappointing as a Defogger right now and I think you'd be better off using Latias right now if you want a mon who can deal with Keldeo/Zard-Y thanks to its much greater bulk and longevity.

People, on the Sun&Moon Empoleon analysis, Z-Mist is mentioned in OO as a form of recovery, if you can afford the z-move restriction penalty. My question is, who in the universe considers that even a remotely usable ide?

Rest+Chesto Berry heals you exactly as much wasting the Z-move, and in addition it heals a possible burn, AND keeps a possibility to keep healing against passive enemies.

Seriosly, please, remove Z-Mist from the Other Options. There is no reason to use it when Rest is around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)