Other Silly Things You've Seen On The OU Ladder: V2

Status
Not open for further replies.

leafbarrett

Better than he thinks
I meant Flareon overall being used in any team and that I have seen a lots of Eeveelution teams as well. I was not talking about Flareon being in an eevee-themed team. That would have made sense.
Didn't see if anyone answered this, but if you haven't watched TwitchPlaysPokemon, look up "TwitchPlaysPokemon Flareon". That might have a lot to do with the sudden influx of Flareons.

Those Spore fails were on purpose. That guy was just waiting around until his opponent actually attacked so he could counter with Endeavor.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what the heck goes through that Youtube guy's head. Does he ever read the descriptions on any of his moves? Or does he just choose them at random/because they sound cool?

Last edited:
OMG have you seen that Pimpnite guy what a noob. (I dunno if it's clear that I'm being sarcastic so I'll ruin my own joke by pointing that out.)

Those Spore fails were on purpose. That guy was just waiting around until his opponent actually attacked so he could counter with Endeavor.

Edit: Also, I have no idea what the heck goes through that Youtube guy's head. Does he ever read the descriptions on any of his moves? Or does he just choose them at random/because they sound cool?
Probably because they're reccomended. Calm Mind Medicham? Like....really?

Probably because they're reccomended. Calm Mind Medicham? Like....really?
Thing is, sometimes he scrolls past the recommended moves list to get the move he wants. He clearly has some idea of the moves he wants to use ahead of time, seeing as he always announces them out loud before scrolling down to grab them. For example, he was very deliberate in scrolling down the moves list to put Rain Dance on his Assault Vest Crawdaunt, and he even very specifically used the text search to get the Assault Vest in the first place.

And he doesn't seem to particularly have any rhyme or reason to the moves he actually chooses when in battle. One turn he'll go for a Super Effective hit, only to instead use a move the opponent resists next turn, thus very carefully avoiding getting a KO.

Now admittedly, I've done that myself by looking at the move's stats (100% accuracy versus 90% accuracy, for example) while forgetting the typing, which results in me, for example, failing to KO my foe from 8% by hitting them with a 4x resisted move. But this guy behaves like the wild Pokémon AI in the GBA games.

So, like, what gives?

Last edited:
Thing is, sometimes he scrolls past the recommended moves list to get the move he wants. He clearly has some idea of the moves he wants to use ahead of time, seeing as he always announces them out loud before scrolling down to grab them. For example, he was very deliberate in scrolling down the moves list to put Rain Dance on his Assault Vest Crawdaunt, and he even very specifically used the text search to get the Assault Vest in the first place.

And he doesn't seem to particularly have any rhyme or reason to the moves he actually chooses when in battle. One turn he'll go for a Super Effective hit, only to instead use a move the opponent resists next turn, thus very carefully avoiding getting a KO.

Now admittedly, I've done that myself by looking at the move's stats (100% accuracy versus 90% accuracy, for example) while forgetting the typing, which results in me, for example, failing to KO my foe from 8% by hitting them with a 4x resisted move. But this guy behaves like the wild Pokémon AI in the GBA games.

So, like, what gives?
He HAS to be a joke somehow. He titles his video "Mega Medicham" and then doesn't even use Medichamite.

What, do you think it just Mega Evolves out of pure will?

Ladder Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

- Torrent Greninja.
- Another Torrent Greninja.
- Oh look another Torrent Greninja...which used Waterfall, and then Dark Pulse the next turn. Kay.
- Flame Charge Talonflame, because it definitely needs that speed.
- Braviary. Which was the only Flying-type on that team. You know, if you really need a Brave Bird user with Fighting coverage, I have a friend called Staraptor, you should get together.
- ...but at least that's better than that player over there with the Pidgeot.
- Life Orb Steelix. It lost to a purely physical Eelektross...yeah.
- Fairy Wind Togekiss.
- Synchronize Alakazam.
- Ninjask passing Speed to Ferrothorn. Which then proceeds to use Gyro Ball.
- Speaking of Gyro Ball, even with low Speed, you need an actual attack stat to use it. Looking at you, player who put it on Contrary Shell Smash Shuckle.
- Corsola.
- FEAR Rattata taking out two Pokemon and weakening a third in the same match...while the opponent has a ghost.
- Cosmic Power Starmie.
- A pure Baton Pass team, with 6 Pokemon that could boost and pass, and 0 Pokemon that could use said boosts.
- Let's use Toxic against Magnezone. Maybe the opponent will switch to a different member of their monosteel team!
- Color Change Kecleon.
- Quilava.
- So your opponent's Roserade put down Toxic Spikes. You have a Drapion ready. How will we get rid of this hazard? Oh, I know! Donphan!
- Flame Orb Sigilyph with Cosmic Power, Roost, Stored Power, and...Psychic.
- Red's team, yet again. You know, at this point I'm starting to think "Why you should never use Red's team in OU" would make a good article for The Smog.
- A two-Pokemon team consisting of Ninjask and Shedinja, and the Shedinja didn't even have a Focus Sash.
- Okay, I've heard of mirror matches before, but this is ridiculous.

So I decided I'd take a bunch of perfectly valid OU Pokémon and make a team with deliberately terrible synergy.

This was the result: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-92251424
Like, I know I haxxed him with that crit+burn Fire Blast on his Focus Sash Gengar, but honestly I think this sweep was sort of sad.

Also, Braviary gets Defiant, and is fully evolved with a decent BST, so it's not inherently silly. Besides, who else could be a TRUE AMERICAN EAGLE?

Besides, I've seen at least one fairly creative Red team that looked like it could perform pretty well.

Ladder Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

- Torrent Greninja.
- Another Torrent Greninja.
- Oh look another Torrent Greninja...which used Waterfall, and then Dark Pulse the next turn. Kay.
- Flame Charge Talonflame, because it definitely needs that speed.
- Braviary. Which was the only Flying-type on that team. You know, if you really need a Brave Bird user with Fighting coverage, I have a friend called Staraptor, you should get together.
- ...but at least that's better than that player over there with the Pidgeot.
- Life Orb Steelix. It lost to a purely physical Eelektross...yeah.
- Fairy Wind Togekiss.
- Synchronize Alakazam.
- Ninjask passing Speed to Ferrothorn. Which then proceeds to use Gyro Ball.
- Speaking of Gyro Ball, even with low Speed, you need an actual attack stat to use it. Looking at you, player who put it on Contrary Shell Smash Shuckle.
- Corsola.
- FEAR Rattata taking out two Pokemon and weakening a third in the same match...while the opponent has a ghost.
- Cosmic Power Starmie.
- A pure Baton Pass team, with 6 Pokemon that could boost and pass, and 0 Pokemon that could use said boosts.
- Let's use Toxic against Magnezone. Maybe the opponent will switch to a different member of their monosteel team!
- Color Change Kecleon.
- Quilava.
- So your opponent's Roserade put down Toxic Spikes. You have a Drapion ready. How will we get rid of this hazard? Oh, I know! Donphan!
- Flame Orb Sigilyph with Cosmic Power, Roost, Stored Power, and...Psychic.
- Red's team, yet again. You know, at this point I'm starting to think "Why you should never use Red's team in OU" would make a good article for The Smog.
- A two-Pokemon team consisting of Ninjask and Shedinja, and the Shedinja didn't even have a Focus Sash.
- Okay, I've heard of mirror matches before, but this is ridiculous.
Lol, I think the Corsola might have been me trying to beat noobs with a crap team. Do you have a replay of it?

So I decided I'd take a bunch of perfectly valid OU Pokémon and make a team with deliberately terrible synergy.

This was the result: http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ou-92251424
Like, I know I haxxed him with that crit+burn Fire Blast on his Focus Sash Gengar, but honestly I think this sweep was sort of sad.
I may have to take back my comment about that sweep being silly. Apparently, this team is actually good. I don't get it. I mean, I make a team of legit mons with actual team synergy and it does terrible on the ladder. I make a generic team of whatever with a horrible, glaring Rock weakness and it does well. Is it because this team is basically designed around nothing but five suicide sweepers and one setup sweeper? Or because auto-weather = instant synergy?

Last edited:
Synchrobell umbreon is pretty legit, especially with the pseduobuff of foul play hitting steels for neutral damage and the weather nerf making moonlight a viable recovery option. With just a little speed investment you can shut down other clerics and several popular hazard setters too. Its not god tier but umbreon is a decent cleric option.

I was facing a contrary shuckle who was shell smashing himself to immortality this morning. Luckily my slowbro still had a scarf to trick onto the bastard.
lol thank verlisify for that

Is it because this team is basically designed around nothing but five suicide sweepers and one setup sweeper?
5GAAG season [insert season we are on here]. 5GAAG has no synergy and it LITERALLY just hyperoffense. But guess what? Test out the team in old UU, and it does well. Same phenomenon -- basically people see unsynergetic HO and piss themselves in fear. Fear makes people misplay.

He didn't disagree, the phrasing was just a little unclear. He was actually responding to someone who seemed to think that using Foul Play with Huge Power would double the opponent's attack stat permanently.
He was responding to me T.T i must've sounded odd the first time i said it, because i certainly didn't intend for it to sound like it was permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)