Sigilyph (Analysis)

because the extra speed is not needed on it as mentioned before. we could do that or we can take away speed EVS (like until 220-240) and keep it timid

[Set]
name: Cosmic Power
move 1: Cosmic Power
move 2: Assist Power
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Psycho Shift
item: Flame Orb
ability: Magic Gaurd
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP/ 128 Def / 128 SpD
Is it just me, or is it silly to bolster you defenses with no way to recover? There isn't even a mention of Roost in what you've got there, even though that's what every Sigilyph I've ever seen has Roost. In addition, isn't Toxic slightly counter-productive if you're Psycho Shifting burns? Also, I think it may be a good idea, if you aren't for outrunning/tying with AxeFace, to at least outrun base 90's like Lucario, or even base-92's like Krookodile, as those threats burned helps the rest of your team.

Just thoughts. Speed is good - that's what makes this guy different from Reuniclus.

EDIT: @below, I'm awesome at missing things. Go me - now I look silly. =/

Is it just me, or is it silly to bolster you defenses with no way to recover? There isn't even a mention of Roost in what you've got there, even though that's what every Sigilyph I've ever seen has Roost. In addition, isn't Toxic slightly counter-productive if you're Psycho Shifting burns? Also, I think it may be a good idea, if you aren't for outrunning/tying with AxeFace, to at least outrun base 90's like Lucario, or even base-92's like Krookodile, as those threats burned helps the rest of your team.

Just thoughts. Speed is good - that's what makes this guy different from Reuniclus.
im assuming you didnt read the big argument :3
im gonna edit that now dont worry

EDIT: Woah, that took some time. I just wrote huge Set Comments for the CA and CM sets. Tell me if you dont agree with something.

Is your first set legal? Assist Power, Roost, and Psycho Shift are all breeding moves, and Sigilyph has two moves at level one. Or is it possible by breeding a female Sigilyph with Roost with a Male Xatu with Roost, Assist Power and Phycho Shift?

thaaaat.....is actually a great idea. and good sets. thanks :3

and why the toxic/flame orb? there is no psycho shift on this set.
Thank you. As for the toxic/flame orb, it's to prevent the foe from giving you another status condition. You could use Leftovers but that makes you reliant on your foe for the burn or poison.

You could run the same Calm Mind set with Psycho Shift...

name: Calm Mind + Psycho Shift
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psycho Shift
move 3: Roost
move 4: Ice Beam / Hidden Power (insert type here)
ability: Magic Guard
evs: 16 HP / 252 Def / 32 SpA / 208 Spe
ivs: 31 HP / 31 Spe

Same deal only you can Psycho Shift the burn from the Flame Orb and that's where the problems start. You only have one attacking move. Charge Beam is resisted by ground types, Assist Power is resisted by dark types. Your best bet is to run either Ice Beam or some Hidden Power. Don't use this set.

Is your first set legal? Assist Power, Roost, and Psycho Shift are all breeding moves, and Sigilyph has two moves at level one. Or is it possible by breeding a female Sigilyph with Roost with a Male Xatu with Roost, Assist Power and Phycho Shift?
Xatu can do it all.

I run sigilyph regularly for gravity teams I think there should be mention of him for gravity teams somewhere just because he is possibly the best utilizer of gravity GenV has to offer. I run:
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
EV's: 252 HP/20 Def/236 SpD
Calm
Psycho Shift
Gravity
Air Slash
Roost

Sigilyph is great for gravity because he loses a lot of the nasty weaknesses that come with fly. Since gravity teams often run sandstorm, there are going to be steel and rock types that opponents will switch in strong mach punchers on, like roobushin and breloom. This guy absolutely destroys fighting pokemon and loves to set up on them on the switch. Hypnosis also gains 100% accuracy in gravity, and partnered with a choice band or SD doryuuzu in sandstorm, the two make a nearly unstoppable duo, at least for the 4 turns doryuuzu will have gravity for :P
Sigilyph also makes for pursuit bait when up against the likes of scizor or tyranitar, so I wouldn't be so sure about using him as a mono-psychic attacker. This guy can also be used to sponge up obvious will-o-wisps/boil overs from the likes of burungeru and dusclops. This set will also always win in a stall-off against mischievous heart sableye, but that hasn't been released yet. Anyway, good work on the article so far. I love sigilyph, so keep up the good work :>

EDIT: Oh, and just like Sigilyph has a niche in gravity teams, he also has a unique niche in Trick Room teams as well, so that's worth a mention probably in the team options set?

EDIT: Oh, and just like Sigilyph has a niche in gravity teams, he also has a unique niche in Trick Room teams as well, so that's worth a mention probably in the team options set?
Gravity, I can see. Trick Room, a minimum speed of 179 isn't going to get you far but if Gallade can do it, so can you.

As for team options, I would mention a teammate that is easily crippled by a burn or poison for the Calm Mind set so you can switch into it.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Yeah bad call on my part, running speed on Sigilyph is pretty dumb. Consider running 252HP/200Def/56Spe (enough to outspeed jolly Ttar) on all of his sets. Sorry again, that was a bad judgement call. Also remove the CM set, its bad.

QC APPROVED 1/3

Yeah bad call on my part, running speed on Sigilyph is pretty dumb. Consider running 252HP/200Def/56Spe (enough to outspeed jolly Ttar) on all of his sets. Sorry again, that was a bad judgement call. Also remove the CM set, its bad.

Yeah, Sigilyph really is quite fast and it can outspeed all Ttar's sets!
With that said (from PK Gaming), this is a good analysis :D
good job!

It could be mentioned that with 252 Hp/124 Def/132 Spd that Sigilyph outruns Jolly Breloom, and will also make him immune to Spore if he's using the Assist Power/Cosmic Power/Psycho Shift/ Roost @ Flame Orb set. Although Timid with 252 Hp/216 Def/ 40 Spd nets him one more point in defense and one more point in speed than the other spread.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not too crazy about Sigilyph competitively, even though it's one of my favorite Pokemon, but here's a question to ask during the EV spread dispute: what opponent does Sigilyph need to outspeed badly to do its strategy safely and viable? Jolly Tyranitar as of now is uncommon due to an abundance of Specially Defensive sets / Choice sets, and while Breloom doesn't sound too bad, Sigilyph needs to deal with faster threats.

My two cents.

lol. i want askin for QC rsults already, but thats fine with me :D

and parachomp, you said that you would use the toxic/flame orb as protection as other status conditions. sigilyph with magic gaurd cant get a status condition.

and PK gaming, thanks :D ill use (possibly make small changes) to those EVs

haha Eos, thanks for the compliments :)

lol. i want askin for QC rsults already, but thats fine with me :D

and parachomp, you said that you would use the toxic/flame orb as protection as other status conditions. sigilyph with magic gaurd cant get a status condition.

and PK gaming, thanks :D ill use (possibly make small changes) to those EVs

haha Eos, thanks for the compliments :)
Magic Guard doesn't prevent status, it makes you immune to damage from it. Therefore Parachomp meant that having a status would prevent it from things like freeze and sleep.

Magic Guard doesn't prevent status, it makes you immune to damage from it. Therefore Parachomp meant that having a status would prevent it from things like freeze and sleep.
On top of that, everyone recommended you to get rid of the Calm Mind set. Maybe include the possibility of one in the Optional Changes section.

On top of that, everyone recommended you to get rid of the Calm Mind set. Maybe include the possibility of one in the Optional Changes section.
that could be a very good idea. and i could also inculde sets like gravity and trick room in it. thanks for the idea :)

I'm not too crazy about Sigilyph competitively, even though it's one of my favorite Pokemon, but here's a question to ask during the EV spread dispute: what opponent does Sigilyph need to outspeed badly to do its strategy safely and viable? Jolly Tyranitar as of now is uncommon due to an abundance of Specially Defensive sets / Choice sets, and while Breloom doesn't sound too bad, Sigilyph needs to deal with faster threats.
Regarding the usual Cosmic Power/Assist Power/Roost/Psycho Shift Burn orb set:

Basically, it needs to outrun any Dark type running Substitute, as otherwise it's completely walled. Houndoom also completely walls the usual set, but he's not very common.

Outrunning Bisharp is one to consider - it has base 70 speed, so you need to invest a little more heavily than just outrunning Tyranitar.

Scrafty is practically impossible to beat whatever you do, as Shed Skin heals the burn and it sometimes runs Rest.

Oh yeah, Dark types with Rest (or any other immunity to burn - prior paralysis, etc.) totally wall the usual set.

Delta 2777

Machampion
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 10 Champion
Just mention Leftovers + HP Fighting over Flame Orb + Psycho Shift in the AC. Aside from that it looks good!

QC Approved (2/3)

However I'm not certain that the duel-screens set is viable. Sigilyph has average defenses and poor typing doesn't really help him switch in too well. I'd like more feedback on this from another QC member if possible!

Bloo

Banned deucer.
I've used Sigilyph before, but not too extensively. Though, I can say that I've never considered using him as a Dual Screener before, simply because there are several other 'mons that can perform the role more effectively. These include:

Xatu
Xatu has the same typing as Sigilyph and doesn't have Magic Guard, but it does have Magic Mirror, which is arguably better on a Dual Screener, since it halts any Taunt attempts, which is a huge advantage to have.

Cresselia
Cresselia is one of the best Dual Screeners around, simply because it hs access to Lunar Dance (while having amazing bulk).

Deoxys-S
Blistering Speed, can deploy Spikes and Stealth Rock, and use Taunt.

There are many other Dual Screeners, like Latios (who's fast and can use Memento), but I won't list them all. I just think Sigiilyph is a bit outclassed when it comes to running a Dual Screen, even with Magic Guard. So, I'm with Delta on this one: rejecting the Dual Screens set. I'd make a mention of Sigilyph's ability to use Dual Screens in Other Options. Lastly, I'm not sure what those 56 Special Defense EVs on the Cosmic Power set accomplish. Does it help it survive anything in particular? Make sure to explain this in your analysis.

QC APPROVED (3/3)

YESSS =D

okayt, the Dual Screen set shall be gone. but then i have an issue that i only have one set, and i thought i was supposed to have minimum two sets?

great, now i will just edit the analysis, and we can move on to the GP stage

and i was puzzled why i had to put 200 Def on the set. myabe i didnt get the message, or that there are just too many physical attackers? ill put it back to 200 Def

okayt, the Dual Screen set shall be gone. but then i have an issue that i only have one set, and i thought i was supposed to have minimum two sets?
There's no rule about this. Plenty of Pokemon are effective in OU for only one role, such as Cloyster. Those Pokemon tend not to make OU, but that doesn't stop them from having an OU analysis.

oh, thanks for that. ill keep it in mind for the future.

EDIT: Great, finished everything. One more day of feedback, then ill get on to the GP checks

[SET]
name: Cosmic Power
move 1: Cosmic Power
move 2: Assist Power
move 3: Roost
move 4: Psycho Shift
ability: Magic Gaurd
evs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 40 SpD / 56 Spe

[Set Comments]
  • This set utilizes the full potential of Cosmic Power. With already above average bulk, Cosmic Power makes this pokemon almost untouchable, and Assist Power just adds to that in a great way. Since it becomes more poweful the more stat boosts you have, the more higher your stats are boosted, the more power Assist Power will deal to the opponent. This set needs the move Roost alot, because any time your low on health, you can easily heal up and ts as if you just sent Sigilyph in, except it aleady has the boosted stats. Psycho Shift is easily one of the most important move to this set, as it also allows status inducing on the opponents pokemon. Since the majority of attackers in Gen 5 is Physical, burn is definitely the right choice as it halves the attack of the opponents pokemon and i also nibbles away the opponents health little by little. 252 Hp is just there for increasing the bulk of this pokemon by alot, since Hp is like Defense and Special Defense mixed. Those 200 Def EVs help you wall the majority of physical attackers, which will help you when your setting up those Cosmic Powers.

• Red.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)