Serious Sweepers!

Whats up guys. I've always wanted to try competitive pokemon but until now I've never lived close enough to a regional event. So now I'm trying to put together some good teams and learn what I can!
This is the first team I've done pretty well with, testing on Pokemon Showdown. NOTE: Currently PS requires you to use all 6 pokemon instead of just 4, so that's how I've been testing the team. I tried some stall/tank/status teams, but I like this sweeping team much better.

ALSO: I don't know about EV calculation. I know how it works, but I don't know well enough to put, for example "216 here and 36 there so it can survive +1 Heatran" or whatever. So if you know that stuff and can suggest better EV spreads, I'd appreciate it

SERIOUS SWEEPERS

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
Impish Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Extreme Speed
- Superpower
- Protect

As strong as Dragonite is, and as my favorite pokemon ever since I played Yellow well over a decade ago, he HAD to be on my team. However he isn't meant to mop the floor with opponents like most of the guys on this team. Instead he's meant to APPEAR as a threat, possibly changing opponent's strategy. Dragon Tail provides some STAB damage while keeping me out of a bad situation (for example if they switch into a fire type vs dragonite/scizor). Extremespeed works well aganst pokemon that survive with just a little, use focus sash, or when I know Dragonite will die before being able to use another attack. Protect is standard.
Superpower is for a fighting type move on my team, but since Dragonite is build defensive AND it lowers my stats, I'm not sure if this is the best choice here.

Zoroark @ Dark Gem
Ability: Illusion
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- Nasty Plot
- Protect

I freaking love this guy. I almost always make him look like Gengar, meaning they don't use Fighting moves against me, sometimes attempt to use Psychic and it doesn't effect me, and since they almost always fall for the illusion, I get a free turn to use Nasty Plot, often damage-free. Flamethrower comes in handy very often, and a nasty plot + dark pulse STAB + dark gem OHKO's very many opponents. Dark also happens to be Super Effective to a lot of opponents. Zoroark has probably dealt the most damage/kills on this team

Scizor @ Bug Gem
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Protect

Scizor hits pretty hard, bullet punch helps take out enemies before they can have one more attack, u-turn helps get out of a sticky situation, bug bite provides stab with the techncian bonus (so base 90 instead of 60). Bullet Punch also provides STAB against fairies. I hate fairies.

Talonflame @ Life Orb
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Tailwind
- Flare Blitz
- Protect

Flare Blitz and Brave Bird both do MASSIVE amount of STAB damage, and Brave Bird has priority thanks to Gale Wings. I normally start with Tailwind, but if they have someone that can use Rock Slide or something else threatening like that, I may not. Depends on the situation. But with the almost pure offense on this team, tailwind helps ensure that I move first, meaning that my hard-hitting but fairly weak pokemon kill before being killed.

Greninja @ Wide Lens
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Protect

Greninja is my weakest pokemon on the team and I'm considering replacing him. Hydro Pump actually almost never comes in handy, and even Ice Beam only rarely. The Protean effect is nice to mess with my opponent and keep things changing/keep him on his toes, but when my most used attack is Hidden Power, I gotta question the usefulness. What do y'all think?

Gengar @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SAtk
Modest Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball
- Taunt
- Protect

Mega Gengar hits so hard! I needed both Ghost and Poison (hate fairies) on my team and he fills the requirement for simultaneous strength and speed. Taunt shuts down those annoying pranksters and other set-up pokemon like Cresselia and Sableye. This team's biggest weakness is definitely status-effects and Trick Room, so Taunt REALLY helps this team work.

So there's my first competitive team :) What do y'all think? Should I replace Greninja? Any suggestions for a better EV spread? Thanks for your time!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)