ORAS Doubles OU Serene Insubordination

Thank you for the awesome art, 13ulbasaur. Credits to kamikaze17 for the powerful team name.

Introduction

Greetings everyone, 3RROR404 here with my first Rate My Team. I started playing Doubles OU two months ago. I build several teams a week to improve my teambuilding skills and expand my knowledge of the Doubles OU metagame. I would like to dedicate this RMT to all the people who helped me get started in the Dubs community.

The Story Behind Serene Insubordination

The story goes that I entered the Doubles Community by creating a pretty standard Mega Kangaskhan team and asking for advice in the Doubles Room in late May. After the room made a few edits to my team, I was challenged by Finally. At that time, I didn't have a clue who he was and nonchalantly critiqued his team after I defeated him. If I recall correctly, Finally was using a Mega Gengar team that almost auto-lost to Landorus-Therian. After that battle, I was inspired to create a Mega Gengar team. I worked on the team on and off for my doubles career and was on the verge of scrapping my work. But, I had a renewed resolve to make this team when I found out that the Doubles OU community holds a weekly teambuilding competition. By pure chance, the Pokemon of the week was Mega Gengar. I then decided to fix up the team and submit it. After the competition ended, I continued to work on the team and flesh out its flaws. I later used this team in my Dugtrio Cup match against Nido-Rus. During this match, I caused an uproar when my Zapdos Drill Pecked Nido's Amoonguss. Later on in this team's legacy, I used it in a Room Tour and lost 1-0 against Arcticblast in the finals. Now, I present to you Serene Insubordination.
Teambuilding Process

The first thing I considered when I started building was Mega Gengar is going to get autokilled by Scarf Landorus-Therian's Earthquake. I didn't want my entire team to be destroyed by Earthquake so I added Shaymin-Sky to have an earthquake immunity and a strong offensive mon that could capitalize on Mega Gengar's trapping ability. Then I added Keldeo because Shaymin-Sky and Keldeo compliment each other to form one of the strongest offensive cores in Doubles OU. Keldeo ended up being on my best answers for bunnies and a good check for Mega-Kang. After that, I decided to round out the FWG with Heatran. I wanted to abuse Mega Gengar's trapping ability to set up a Sub on Steel Types. Then I noticed that the team would struggle with Kyurem Black behind a sub. I choose to use Choice Specs Sylveon to fix this weakness. I wanted to have the option of a sweep with Sylveon and noticed that my team was going to be destroyed by speed control. I added Tailwind Zapdos to provide a late game win condition with Sylveon. After that, I went through various move changes to ease match ups against the common team archetypes in Doubles OU.

Serene Insubordination

Totem (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Mega Gengar is the core of this Hyper Offense team. It's ability Shadow Tag lets it trap certain pokemon and make them useless for the remainder of the match. Gengar can be used to trap notable treats like Jirachi or Cresselia for Heatran to have an easy time setting up a sub. Gengar's trapping ability can aalso be abused to punish opposing Choiced Pokemon. It can trap Hyper Voice locked Sylveon for Heatran to sub. Mega-Gengar traps water types like Keldeo or Rotom-Wash for Shaymin-Sky to delete. Gengar can also trap steel types that are not Aegislash so that they can be removed for a late game Sylveon sweep under Tailwind. Mega-Gengar provides a strong offensive presence due to its great speed and has a good chance to 2KO standard Cresselia. Gengar is also a good counter to common Trick Room leads with its STAB Shadow Ball. Sludge Bomb provides Gengar with a secondary STAB and gets a 2KO on Mega-Diancie. Taunt is in the third slot because it helps with the annoying set up mon Cressilia and can stop Trick Room or other speed control from crippling my team. Gengar's third move slot is very versatile and can be altered to fit the general needs of the team. In other versions of the team, I have used Will-O-Wisp to cripple Mega-Kangaskhan and Terrakion. I have also used Hidden Power Steel to ease the Mega-Diancie match up since Sludge Bomb only does around 80%. Protect is crucial for the last slot as it protects Mega-Gengar from predicted double targets and allows you to scout. Protect is also great for stalling out speed control like Tailwind or Trick Room.

Finally (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Roar
- Protect

Keldeo runs an almost standard set and helps continue this team's offensive onslaught with access to Hydro Pump and Secret Sword as strong STAB attacks. With Life Orb, Keldeo is able to do a lot of damage to most targets that do not resist Hydro Pump. Secret Sword is good for hitting targets like Rotom-Wash and Ludicolo. Secret Sword also deals Super Effective damage to Ferrothorn which otherwise would wall Keldeo. The oddity of the set is the third move of the set. Instead of running something standard like Quick Guard or Taunt or even Icy Wind, I am using Roar to help deal with the always annoying bunnies. Roar is great to get rid of the bunny that thinks it has a free turn to Belly Drum. Roar also helps with Trick Room as it prevents it from even being set up. Protect is mandatory in the last slot as it can help stall out weather, Tailwind, or Trick Room.

Yellow Paint (Shaymin-Sky) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Protect

Shaymin-Sky is a good partner for Keldeo and helps continue with the team's theme of Hyper Offense. Shaymin-Sky's main move is Air Slash as it has a 60% flinch chance. Seed Flare is good to kill Rotom-Wash and has an 80% chance to drop Special Defense. Seed Flare is great to hit targets that resist Air Slash and can really help beat out a Calm Mind Cress. Earth Power is used to ensure that Shaymin-Sky is not walled out by steel types and can maintain offensive pressure.

Shaian (Heatran) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

Heatran rounds out the FWG core and has safety googles so I have a secondary spore switch in. This also helps Heatran get its sub out if facing Trick Room. Heatran has max Special Attack EVs to ensure that it hits with the most offensive power possible. The speed is used to outspeed neutral base 70's and has some extra investment to creep opposing fast Heatran. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP. Heatran helps this team deal with the sun match-up and provides a good switch in to Talonflame. Heatran is running Substitute as it can have many opportunities to set up when Gengar traps the appropriate foes. Heat Wave provides Spread damage and is STAB. Earth Power is used to kill other Heatran and damage Mega-Diancie when under Tailwind. Protect is in the last slot to aid with recovery from Leftovers and stall Trick Room.

TGMD (Zapdos) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 28 SpA / 84 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Tailwind

Zapdos is the last member of the team as it provides a bulky attacker and helps deal with the rain match-up via DRILL PECK and Azumarill. Zapdos' EV spread has enough speed to outspeed Jolly Breloom and creep SpaceBass Zapdos. It has Max HP and 32 Defense to survive a Diamond Storm from Mega-Diancie. These EV's also ensure that Landorus Therian's Rock Slide is a 3KO. The Special Defense investment lives an Ice Beam from max Kyurem-Black. Zapdos provides offensive support for the team with Tailwind. Tailwind can be used to help Sylveon perform late game sweeps when all its checks are removed. Thunderbolt is STAB and it hits threats such as Talonflame and Keldeo. Drill Peck, even without investment nets a 2KO on Ludicolo which would otherwise trouble this team. Roost is used because Zapdos can get many opportunities to Roost while Gengar traps threats that Zapdos walls.
0- Atk Zapdos Drill Peck vs. 104 HP / 0 Def Ludicolo: 192-228 (58.7 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Kami (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 172 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Baby-Doll Eyes/Helping Hand

Sylveon is EVed to survive a Return from Mega Kangaskhan. Sylveon has 80 Speed EVs to outrun base 110's such as Mega-Diancie under Tailwind. The rest of the EVs were dumped into Special Attack to ensure that Sylveon has a strong offensive presence. The main move on this set is Hyper Voice. 99.99% of the time Sylveon locks Hyper Voice and can provide a late game sweep under tailwind. Shadow Ball is in the second slot as it is its best option to deal with Aegislash. Psyshock provides further coverage and can be used to threaten Amoonguss and opposing Gengar. In the last slot is Baby-Doll Eyes. This move was primarily filler as the team already has 2 Earth Power users. Baby-Doll Eyes, if it is ever used, is priority and can cripple physical attackers that are trapped by Mega-Gengar. At the very least, baby-Doll Eyes makes sure Sylveon is not useless when it getting outsped by the other team. As suggested by 13ulbasaur and Silverwhiteblue I have listed Helping Hand as a different option for the fourth move. Helping Hand is a great move with higher priority than Baby-Doll Eyes. Helping Hand can boost the power of Sylveon's partner and net OHKOs that would otherwise be missed. I'm pretty sure it would be funny to see a Ludicolo get OHKOed by Drill Peck.

The nicknames for each member of this team are based on players who helped me out when I was making this team.
Gengar is named after BLOOD TOTEM because he reminded me that Gengar had a more expansive support move than only Will-O-Wisp.
Keldeo is named after finally for suggesting roar to help deal with Bunnies.
Shaymin-Sky is named after Yellow Paint because that mon tends to be the bane of his existence.
Heatran is named after my amazing Doubles tutor shaian who still might cringe at my non-bulky Heatran.
Zapdos is named after the God TGMD . He gave the brilliant suggestion of using Drill Peck to help beat rain.
Last, but not least, is Sylveon which is named after kamikaze17 for mentioning Baby-Doll Eyes as a viable move for Sylveon.

Kami (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 56 HP / 200 Def / 172 SpA / 80 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Psyshock
- Baby-Doll Eyes

Shaian (Heatran) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 252 SpA / 208 Spe
Modest Nature
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Protect

TGMD (Zapdos) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 28 SpA / 84 SpD / 112 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Drill Peck
- Roost
- Tailwind

Totem (Gengar) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Taunt
- Protect

Finally (Keldeo) @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Roar
- Protect

Yellow Paint (Shaymin-Sky) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Serene Grace
Timid Nature
- Seed Flare
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Protect

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-243715300
This was the very first match I had with this team. this is the version of the team I used when I posted in the Doubles Teambuilding Competition. Thanks to U-Turn Out for giving a replay for that round of the Teambuilding Competition.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-245170911
This was my Dugtrio Cup match against Nido-Rus. This match is the first time I used Drill Peck; I love the hilarity that occurred in dubs chat after this one. I still randomly burst out laughing when I remember TGMD gloating about this match.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-245241276
this match was before I changed Skymin's nickname to Yellow Paint. At the time I couldn't think of a name for skymin and just called it 404 because it deleted a lot of things. I also was kind of thinking about how much I use that mon when I build teams. It's a pretty funny 6-0 courtesy of SocialSocialSocial for using a stupid Magmar.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-245543738
Here is another game against Social that I barely got away with a 1-0.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-245783924
This is a match that I really enjoyed playing. Despite my loss 1-0 against Arcticblast and wishing I didn't have Drill Peck this time around, I learned a lot and have kept on working to improve skills as a Doubles Player.

Shoutout to 13ulbasaur for being a great friend and for providing the awesome artwork.
Shoutout to Stratos for always reminding me that I am bad and indirectly pushing me to improve. One day I will beat you!
Shoutout to Audiosurfer for showing me that this team gets utterly destroyed by Mega-Aerodactyl.
Shoutout to Arcticblast for giving me a really fun battle during that one room tour.
Shoutout to KyleCole for his wonderful YouTube channel that helped me learn a little bit about Doubles.
Shoutout to finally for being my first victim in Doubles and an inspiration for me to keep battling and keep improving. Also, thanks for the recomendation for dealing with bunnies.
Shoutout to Electrolyte for always giving me constructive criticism about the many teams I have built.
Shoutout to BLOOD TOTEM for being a true HO player and reminding me about gengar's support movepool.
Shoutout to shaian for being an awesome tutor and helping me get acquainted with the dubs room.
Shoutout to SpaceBass for reminding me what that Zapdos spread does.
Shoutout to Memoric for hosting the Doubles Teambuilding Competition that motivated me to finish building this team.
Shoutout to the God TGMD for the innovative use of Drill Peck Zapdos. I still can't stop laughing about that match.
Shoutout to kamikaze17 for being one of my first friends in the Dubs community. You've been there since the beginning. Baby-Doll Eyes is hilarious.
Shoutout to Yellow Paint for being a great person to test teams with and also being there for me when I first started.
Shoutout to Nido-Rus for a great Dugtrio Cup game. I'm never serious when I rag on you about that match. I hope you had as much fun as I did.
Shoutout to SocialSocialSocial for giving me several replays with this team. The Skype calls that we have had have been fun and I am glad you have introduced me to other members of the Dubs community.
Shoutout to U-Turn Out for helping me out when I was first testing this team. Our match was much better than the one I had before where Kami forgot what Protect was.
Shoutout to Frat Dude for always playing Doubles with me and helping e practice against some of your silly teams.
Shoutout to megacyber for being fun to talk to and building some teams in Skype calls.
Shoutout to Silverwhiteblue for giving me suggestions about EVs and minor critiques about the many teams that I have built.
Shoutout to Sweep for being my Ubers tutor. Thank you for helping me extend my knowledge of Pokemon beyond the realms of Doubles OU.
Shoutout to checkmater75 for being a pain in the ass on ladder. I swear I need to start using teams that counter that Sun Room team you used.

I think that is it for the Shoutouts. If I missed you, I am sorry. It's almost 3:30 AM.

Thank you to all who have taken their time to read my first RMT. I look forward to hearing any suggestions, comments, and critiques.​

Last edited:

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Ayy nice team fren. Baby Doll Eyes Sylv sounds cool, but have you ever tried out Helping Hand? I feel like Helping Hand could potentially be more useful more often than Baby Doll Eyes (useful against all kinds of mons, not just physical ones) and it has even higher priority for niche moments where say you might get knocked out by priority (Bullet Punch, Talon Brave Bird etc ) but havent locked into something yet. Plus, with how offensive your team is it could be really cool and destructive, picking up surprise knock outs on bulkier mons.

EDIT: ALso change the Keldeo sprite to the normal form so it matches the art >:(

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome shoutout ! Being myself, i shall make the minor critiques i saw in this:
U have "trick roar" in keldeo's description , so i thought u meant room
looking on keldeo's 4 def, i was thinking it should be 4 spdef so gnesect gets a +1 atk and cant tbolt as effectivly. on the other hand, i guess it helps sylveon? but since its unlikely , maybe 4 spdef is better
i was gonna suggest pixie plate to fake the hypervoice lock, but babydoll eyes arnt worth it. If you change that to maybe what bulba suggested helping hands, it migth come of use !

awesome rmt man, and gl with the team :)

Ayy nice team fren. Baby Doll Eyes Sylv sounds cool, but have you ever tried out Helping Hand? I feel like Helping Hand could potentially be more useful more often than Baby Doll Eyes (useful against all kinds of mons, not just physical ones) and it has even higher priority for niche moments where say you might get knocked out by priority (Bullet Punch, Talon Brave Bird etc ) but havent locked into something yet. Plus, with how offensive your team is it could be really cool and destructive, picking up surprise knock outs on bulkier mons.

EDIT: ALso change the Keldeo sprite to the normal form so it matches the art >:(
Thanks for the suggestion fren. This move really helps if Sylveon is coming back into the playing field after taking previous damage. Helping Hand is a great move with higher priority than Baby-Doll Eyes. Helping Hand can boost the power of Sylveon's partner and net OHKOs that would otherwise be missed. I'm pretty sure it would be funny to see a Ludicolo get OHKOed by Drill Peck. I will definitely try that out. It also gives me the ability to OHKO Mega-Diancie with Sludge Bomb which is really nice. I also fixed the sprite to match the artwork.

Thanks for the awesome shoutout ! Being myself, i shall make the minor critiques i saw in this:
U have "trick roar" in keldeo's description , so i thought u meant room
looking on keldeo's 4 def, i was thinking it should be 4 spdef so gnesect gets a +1 atk and cant tbolt as effectivly. on the other hand, i guess it helps sylveon? but since its unlikely , maybe 4 spdef is better
i was gonna suggest pixie plate to fake the hypervoice lock, but babydoll eyes arnt worth it. If you change that to maybe what bulba suggested helping hands, it migth come of use !

awesome rmt man, and gl with the team :)
Thanks for your thoughts once again fren. It should be 4 SpDef, but I was tired and didn't pay enough attention to what I was doing when I posted. As mentioned above, the helping hand change is being made.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)