SV OU Scarlet Performers (Meowscarada OU Balanced)

Hi everyone! I hope you're all having a blast with the Indigo Disk DLC. It's the reason why I've made this team to get prepared for all the big changes in today's metagame. So many opportinities to build, so many new strategies. However, I've decided to take a balanced approach with Pokemon I'm familiar with because I've yet to discover the rest of Pokemon in the DLC. This team is built around another star who loves to perform on stage, Meowscarada. I'm confident the fan favorite's still got what it takes to wow the crowd. So, without further ado, here's the team.:

- THE TEAM -

Meowscarada.png

Meowscarada @ Choice Scarf

Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Play Rough

- U-turn

The ringmaster of the team. This Pokemon takes the role as a revenge sweeper if one of its performing partners ends its act. In other words, fainted. Meowscarada has a diverse movepool which brings the likes of Gastrodon, Dragapult and Hydreigon to shame. Thanks to Choice Scarf, it's able to outspeed many fast sweepers, making it very efficient for scouting. For example, a Dragonite after 2 Dragon Dances, Hisusian Zoroark and more. Meowscarada's quick on its toes, you'll miss it when you blink. Also, Knock Off can definitely disrupt enemy plays. Leftovers? Get outta 'ere.

When it comes to weakness, sometimes Meowscarda wouldn't take the heat against those that have a type advantage against it. It wouldn't do much against bulky Steel types, and it can be grounded to a halt by first-priority moves. The prime examples are Heatran, Corviknight and Scizor. If no actions were made, these threats can wall and demolish it. Which is why it has friends.
Skeledirge.png

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Def / 40 SpD / 28 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Torch Song
- Shadow Ball
- Will-O-Wisp

- Slack Off

After reading what makes a great partner for Meowscarda, the one that came to my mind was the lion (even though it's not a lion), Skeledirge. This team member's role is unexpected for some Trainers as it learns Torch Song which can bring its' singing to a whole new level and Unaware to prevent sweepers from, well, sweep sweep sweeping. With CorviBliss on the team, I've decided to make Skeledirge a physical tank. A physically defensive crocodile can help survive even longer if it burns other physical attackers with Will-O-Wisp and if a special attacker comes out. Blissey. Come to think of it, Skeledirge and Blissey make a great duo together.

Pokemon Rain Dance teams such as Pelipper, Manaphy and Kingdra are a main concern for Skeledirge as they won't have any trouble washing it away like its' a sandcastle. The other threats to keep an eye on are Garganacl, Tyranitar and fast, super-effective hitters like Gengar, Hisuian Zoroark and Dragapult. They can mute this Pokemon quite easily if I'm not careful with my play.

Corviknight.jpg
Corviknight @ Rocky Helmet

Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Brave Bird
- U-turn
- Roost

- Defog

And now for our next act, it's Corviknight with Defog support! We all know that Stealth Rock, Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Sticky Web *gasp* are problematic if not taken care of. Which is why Corviknight is the best choice thanks to its bulk. (Kinda rhymes if you think about it.) As this is a balanced team, you need to have an all-round team defense. I was in a mix between Brave Bird and Body Press. Both attacks have their uses. But since I want to put Corviknight's STAB strength to good use, I went with Brave Bird. Rocky Helmet I thought, is a good item to have on a physical wall because if a hitter comes in contact with Corviknight, it makes them more susceptible to getting KO'd, even by a U-Turn.

If I were to think of what are the biggest threats to Corviknight, it's definitely Sunny Day teams and hard-hitting Fire and Electric types such as Heatran, Zapdos and Electivire. Without switching, they'd turn this Pokemon into fried chicken. The team doesn't offer much Electric type resistance, which could be problematic depending on the situation. Taunt and Trick users can also disrupt its support plays dratistically, leaving it not doing much for the team at all. Avoidng that from happening comes down to making the correct switches.

Blissey.jpg
Blissey @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Stealth Rock
- Heal Bell

- Soft-Boiled

Ah, Blissey. I remember how frustrating you were back in Pokemon Diamond, Pearl and Platinum. You just won't go down no matter how many times we hit ya. That's why you are the best special wall in this occasion. The cast needed someone who could withstand many special attacks, and they'd turned to none other than her. Blissey is the second team support player with Stealth Rock and Heal Bell. If anyone in the team suffers a burn, paralysis or sleeps on the job, she can bring them back up to speed just by ringing the bell. She also doesn't have to worry about her attack strength that much because of Seismic Toss which is much easier to learn now than it was before. You had to transfer a Chansey/Blissey with that move multiple times, which wasn't fun. Anyway, back to the analysis.

As it solely relies on team support and Seismic Toss pressure. All Ghost types can wall her whether they're big or small, powerful or defensive. Try as she might, even by Terastallizing, she wouldn't land a finger on them. That's the cue to switch out to someone who can deal with them. Like Corviknight, she too can be a bait to Trick/Taunt users. A Choice item Blissey is NOT the way to go in a balanced team. If there's no team support, her hopes of victory would be scrambled.

Dragonite.png
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots

Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Dragon Dance

While constructing the team, I noticed the team doesn't show much physical strength. So I thought why not put Dragonite into the mix? It's a big fav to many Trainers, including me, as it's the only OU Pokemon with access to Multiscale. The ability is manadatory for Dragonite to set up and sweep. It doesn't need to learn a Dragon type either, as it relies on Extreme Speed after Terastallizing and Ice Spinner to win mirror matches. Not even Gliscor is safe from it. I thought about giving it a Lum Berry before replacing it with Heavy-Duty Boots due to Blissey's Heal Bell which, for all of us is a much better choice. This lategame actor can leave a huge dent in the opposing team if it's suffered enough damage to give my side a more likely win. Dragonite, we love ya.

While other big super-effective hitters and wall such as Primarina, Clefable, Hydreigon, Archaludon and other Dragonites/Azumarills can swat it outta the sky, snowstorm and Sandstorm teams are a big concern to it. Without Terastallizing, these kind of teams can take Dragonite down before it can pull off a single Dragon Dance. Tyranitar is a big example. In terms of offense and defense, it can take plenty of hits before KO'ing it effortlessly. From an overall standpoint, opponents who can retaliate is something to watch out for.

Azumarill.jpg
Azumarill @ Assault Vest

Ability: Huge Power
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Liquidation
- Play Rough
- Ice Spinner

- Aqua Jet

Finally, we're down to the last member of the crew, Azumarill. Another competitive classic. I picked Azumarill because the team needed a powerhouse who offers more type diversity. This cute hard-hitting bunny Pokemon is an Assault Vest wallbreaker which is required to deal with tough special attackers. An answer to the likes of Iron Valiant, Walking Wake, Primarina and even some Rain Dance teams who don't have a big Electric type hitter. I imagine this Azumarill as the Starmie of Scarlet/Violet with how much type coverage it is.

As the physical wallbreaker of the crew, those who learn Will-O-Wisp or Iron Defense can completely shut it down. It won't be able to break through any defense if its power is crippled. Other causes for concerns are Sunny Day Pokemon with Solar Beam such as Exeggutor and Venusaur and as mentioned before, big Electric type hitters like Magnezone, Electivire and Zapdos. They're the ones Azumarill won't stand up to, which is why it has its partners. Without them, the bunny wouldn't leap out of the hat.

- TEAM OVERVIEW -

By looking at every inch of the team. I think the team has good all-rounded synergy together. 3 big hitters and 3 walls, all with their own ways of playing. I see potential in each one of them and hopefully it can perform well. However, the team struggles against the newcomer from the Indigo Disk DLC, Archaludon, especially in a Rain Dance team as not only does it break the CorviBliss team combo, it can wall most crew members, forcing them to take it on by brute force. Heatran is another problem if Azumarill and/or Dragonite are out before the lategame phase kicks in. But that can come down to switching in when the time's right. Overall, it's a solid, balanced team, but requires some changes, whether it's replacing team member, changing movesets or both.

- CONCLUSION -

And that's the crew I'm going with to prepare to take on the big leagues in competitive play. I've yet to learn all the stops after the Indigo Disk DLC came round, but you know what they say, there's always something new to learn every time you battle. If you find anything I need to change to make the team perform better, please let me know. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Take care and happy battling, Trainers! ;)

PokePaste version: https://pokepast.es/90fedc9f11c3b186

Last edited:

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
So I really like using Meowscarada, it's always cool to see teams with it.
The only problem I have with the team is the lack of Special Attackers. I know you have Skeledirge but your 3 Wallbreakers/Sweepers are all physical.
I think you could maybe swap out Azu for Iron Valiant. Val is still able to beat some of the Mons you mentioned and also has Fighting type coverage which is quite good. Fire/Water/Grass is a nice core so you could also run Tera Water to still have that.
Another option would be Primarina. Prim has the same typing as Azumarill but is a Special Attacker.
(AV is an Item you can pot on both of those, Primarinas SpD is quite good even without that though)

So I really like using Meowscarada, it's always cool to see teams with it.
The only problem I have with the team is the lack of Special Attackers. I know you have Skeledirge but your 3 Wallbreakers/Sweepers are all physical.
I think you could maybe swap out Azu for Iron Valiant. Val is still able to beat some of the Mons you mentioned and also has Fighting type coverage which is quite good. Fire/Water/Grass is a nice core so you could also run Tera Water to still have that.
Another option would be Primarina. Prim has the same typing as Azumarill but is a Special Attacker.
(AV is an Item you can pot on both of those, Primarinas SpD is quite good even without that though)
Thanks for the advice. Primarina's a good option for the team.

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Hey, you wanted me to review your team, and sorry for being so late, to tell you the truth, this team screams "outdated" it doesn't have a lot of tools that can deal with this meta, so ill do my best to help you

Big changes:

:blissey: ------> :ting lu:

Blissey is just a mon that you see on stall these days, it has 0 momentum, and it can be easily exploitable, and while ting lu is not much better, it will give you an electric inmunity and a way to put hazards, not to mention a gholdengo counter

Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind
- Ruination

:azumarill: ----> :primarina:

as a special tank water fairy, Azu is just outclassed, you tank more with primarina while attacking from the special side and having pivot moves, I searched and asked around for sets and someone gave me this one that tanks 1 headlong rush from offensive tusk and enough spa to KO darkrai

Primarina @ Assault Vest
Ability: Torrent
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 36 SpA / 204 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Flip Turn
- Psychic Noise

:corviknight: -------> :skarmory:

corviknight just cannot handle defogging at all, so when it comes to tanking physical hits, skarm is just better overall, you also have access to spikes, which can help with the pressure, the speed allows skarm to outpace gambit confortably

Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
Tera Type: Dragon
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 Spe
Bold Nature
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost
- Spikes

small changes

on :skeledirge: we are revamping the set, instead of shadow ball we are using hex to abuse burns and putting all on spedef to become a better mix tank

Skeledirge @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Torch Song
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex
- Slack Off

On :dragonite: we are making him more bulky, adding hp evs and roost over ice spinner, to add to the survivability

Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Roost

And finally on :meowscarada: we are changing scarf for heavy-duty boots, the meta overall is more centered to fat balance, so speed checks are not that necessary, and being able to come in multiple times is better for your case because knock off, we are changing the tera from grass to electric (to handle zapdos static) and triple axel which will hurt zap a lot

Meowscarada @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protean
Tera Type: Electric
Jolly Nature
- Flower Trick
- Knock Off
- Triple Axel
- U-turn

https://pokepast.es/878b3b828b0bacd0
it's a lot of changes so here is the pokepaste, if any doubt arises please don't be afraid to ask, have a good night

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)