Project RU Effective, Creative and Underrated Sets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Approved By MrAldo
Taken over / stolen from Many

<Banner Coming Soon (Hopefully)>

Effective, Creative and Underrated Sets

Standard and common sets are generally effective. After all, that's why they're common and standard. But sometimes a less-common set can be effective. In fact, brand-new sets can be quite effective as well. This thread is for new and creative movesets that can be quite effective, as well as old movesets that have fallen out of favor but have become quite effective in the RU metagame.

What is a creative, good moveset?
  • Not commonly seen, especially on ladder
  • It successfully pulls off a role, and is not strictly outclassed by others.
  • It takes advantage of metagame trends.
  • It has had some success. Replays are recommended, but not required (I may change this rule if I see low-quality posts).

(This is just an example and not necessarily representative of the RU tier or any sets):

Snorlax @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 HP / 104 Atk / 152 Def
Adamant Nature
- Frustration
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
- Crunch / Self-Destruct

The RU tier really lacks a special attack sponge that can pursuit trap other Pokemon, so I chose Snorlax for the job. With a sky-high HP and Special Defense, along with Assault Vest, it's able to easily counter threats like Roserade, Yanmega, Nidoqueen, and Moltres. It also offers a good amount of offense to hit decently hard. 252 HP allows Snorlax to take a lot of special attacks. 152 Defense allows it to take a 3HKO from Specs Gardevoir's Psyshock (with no entry hazards). The rest of the EVs are poured into Attack with an Adamant nature to maintain some offense. Frustration is the STAB choice, since it does some decent damage without any recoil. Earthquake allows Snorlax to OHKO Salazzle and do some damage to Steel and Rock types if necessary. Pursuit is a mandatory choice for it, as it's what sets Snorlax apart, chipping damage to special attackers. Crunch can be used to hit Ghost types like Mismagius hard. Alternatively, Self-Destruct can do heavy damage to opponents that attempt to setup on Snorlax, in case it's no longer need. Finally, Thick Fat allows Snorlax to tank hits from Fire types like Ninetales.

What is an underrated moveset?
  • It is an existing set that for whatever reason isn't common.
  • Its use is meant to prey on specific facets of the metagame.
  • It might be able to surprise and demolish Pokemon that normally counter the usual sets, but does not become a gimmick in order to do so.

Tyrantrum @ Dragonium Z
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Polish
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Earthquake

This set isn't anything new, but it has very minimal usage in the current RU metagame and deserves more credit. With Tyrantrum already being difficult to switch into, Rock Polish could transform it into a completely terrifying late game cleaner that people often don't prepare for. Max attack and speed with a Jolly nature ensure that it could outpace a huge majority of the RU metagame. Rock Head allows Tyrantrum to freely spam Head Smash without having to worry about nasty recoils. Head Smash and Outrage ensures that weakened teams cannot easily be able to revenge kill it. Earthquake hits Pokemon such as Doublade and Registeel. Finally, Dragonium Z allows Tyrantrum to get past would be checks such as Rhyperior and Bewear.

Do NOT post bad gimmicks.

What are some things that constitute a bad gimmick?
  • Using a Pokemon that has no business being used in RU, for the sake of using it in RU.
  • Movesets that are inferior and ineffective compared to existing movesets, or use an obscure move for the sake of hitting an even more obscure check or counter.
  • Movesets that are utterly impractical or are horribly outclassed by another Pokemon.

Offensive Milotic

Milotic @ Life Orb
Ability: Competitive
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Recover

Because Milotic is usually used as a wall, its 100 SpA and 81 Spe stats are often overlooked. This set can surprise opponents by dealing significant damage or even OHKOing their pokemon that attempt to take advantage of Milotic's usual passiveness. By switching in on a Defog such as from Moltres or Gligar, Milotic's SpA stat can be boosted even further thanks to Competitive.
184 Spe EVs hits 244 Speed, putting it at the top of Tier 3. Life Orb and max SpA modest boost its power. 72 HP EVs coincidentally gives it 349 HP, allowing it to take less life orb recoil. Recover is used to heal off damage; be careful of Toxic, unless you have a heal bell / aromatherapy user.

252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 40 SpD Quagsire: 416-494 (105.5 - 125.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Decidueye: 234-276 (78.7 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (non-Jolly variants are outsped)
252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tsareena: 237-281 (83.1 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Honchkrow: 395-465 (115.8 - 136.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Bewear: 324-382 (84.8 - 100%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Pangoro: 285-335 (85.8 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Machamp: 246-290 (76.6 - 90.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Milotic Hydro Pump vs. 40 HP / 0 SpD Banette-Mega: 251-296 (89.9 - 106%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

While this role is somewhat outclassed by Blastoise-mega, which has base 135 SpA and two of {aura sphere, dark pulse, rapid spin}, Milotic's biggest advantage is that it has reliable recovery. It also frees up the mega slot.

Last edited:
I blended curselax with a weird belly drum set and created something I call Nukelax. Its main goal is to severely damage or kill threats to your team. It usually only gets 1 to 2 kills but is a good set in my mind.
NukeLax (Snorlax) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Recycle
- Giga Impact
- Belly Drum
You start off with belly drum. The figy berry heals your health back. You then giga impact in less your opponent resists it, if so earthquake. It is advised not to switch out because it is not very useful without the atk boost
What do you think?

I blended curselax with a weird belly drum set and created something I call Nukelax. Its main goal is to severely damage or kill threats to your team. It usually only gets 1 to 2 kills but is a good set in my mind.
NukeLax (Snorlax) @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Recycle
- Giga Impact
- Belly Drum
You start off with belly drum. The figy berry heals your health back. You then giga impact in less your opponent resists it, if so earthquake. It is advised not to switch out because it is not very useful without the atk boost
What do you think?
looks very solid

Hello my name is WMAR, I havent been active on the forums but today i present a really underrated set, the stallbreaker Mega Glalie, which in itself is an underrated Pokemon

Glalie-Mega @ Glalitite
Ability: Refrigerate
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly/ Naive Nature
- Frustration/ Freeze Dry
- Ice Shard
- Super Fang
- Taunt

The combination of Super Fang and Taunt is the main calling here since it helps not necessarily remove, but help the team i made really break through, i mainly have Frustration to effectively wallbreak and run through stall, tho uncommon, still chips the walls, but Freeze Dry is an option to break down Milotic if you don’t have many ways to beat it, and then the team can just wreak havoc. Below i will post the team i use with this set and just briefly tell you what the Glalie does for the team

https://pokepast.es/ef8c52f0744759af

What Glalie-Mega does here is chip down every wall that I cannot break and forced on prediction to do work and also helps prevent hazards which aren’t really an issue but nonetheless works. Any chip is worth it and Glalie-Mega just revenge kills the Dragon types like Flygon and Zygarde-10%. Now i know you are technically walled by fire, which is not an issue since A. Not many fire types in the tier and B. You have ways to deal with said fire types. All in all, this Glalie-Mega set and the pokemon itself is underrated and i hope you do use this and it works. Lemme know if it works out for ya

Psychium Z Jolteon
jolteon.gif

Jolteon @ Psychium Z
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Synchronoise
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]​

That Jolteon is one of the worst pokémon of the Tier, this is incontestable. However I playing in the RU tier with Jolteon I came across some checks of it that can be easily dribbled with the aid of this Z-Move.

It can surprise and deal with:
Nidoqueen, Dragalge, Chesnaught, Roserade within Choice Scarf, Machamp, among others.

As is often the case with Jolteon Life Orb or Specs, when you attack, your opponent thinks you are stuck on your last move since you do not take Life Orb recoil. And it is at this time that you reveal that you are not and can again surprise with Volt Switch or with the Z-Move itself.

In addition, another good purpose of Z-Move is to finish pokémon that normally you would not get with any other moves, such as Rhyperior or Donphan.
In conclusion, Jolteon Psychium Z is a niche I've adhered to and will continue to use. Of course it has its flaws, because Synchronoise is a move you'll rarely be able to use outside the Z-Move and Shadow Ball can do it against Gardevoir and Brozong; but Jolteon is Jolteon, and his D rank is deserved.

Last edited:
I've been getting back into RU lately (a couple days ago) and I've been enjoying using other people's innovative sets & teams. I also really enjoyed using Arcanine. Which I feel gets a bit underestimated by some players. Here's the set that I feel could be on par with LO Morning Sun +3 attacks, Bulky sets, & choice band.

Arcanine @ Electrium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge
- Howl

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-836396914
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-836390233

Not the best replays but, it does show what Arcanine can do.

Arcanine does have a hard time with recoil and water types and this set allows it to get past some of that. It able to OHKO M-Blastoise prior to set-up and can OHKO Milotic after set-up. It's honestly not too difficult to get up a howl as it does have immense bulk and a great ability in intimidate. This set also works great late game. Extreme Speed is great at picking off weakened mons, especially at +1. If you feel like your team handles water types really well, then you could honestly run firium z with close combat over wild charge to better handle Tyrantrum (which is a problem for this set). Cresselia with physical defense investment can also be a problem for this set. Pokemon that work well with this set are Zydoge (for Tyrantrum), Mega Blastoise, Drapion (for Cress), and Seismitoad. Specs Galvantula and Scarf Shaymin go well with the Firium Z + Close Combat version.

Necrozma @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Autotomize
- Photon Geyser
- Heat Wave
- Stealth Rock

This is a pretty underrated set I used when laddering during the Meloetta suspect. Weakness policy Necrozma is a pretty cool set, taking advantage of the surprise effect, allowing Necrozma to gain +2 attack and special attack when hit by weak dark type moves like knock off seismitoad or a foul play from Mandibuzz or even hard hitting ones like blastoise-mega’s dark pulse or drapion’s knock off thanks to prism armor, reducing the power of super effective attacks. Autotomize allows Necrozma to gain +2 speed and facilitates sweeping. Photon geyser and heat wave hit the vast majority of the tier neutrally. The last move is really customizable to what you want to achieve with it. Stealth rock was my filler move of choice because my team needed an offensive stealth rockers, but other moves can be used instead to hit certain targets. Some examples are power gem (Mandibuzz), psyshock (Goodra and Snorlax), dark pulse (hoopa), or morning sun (gives durability against revenge killers).

Replay:

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ru-849443261 vs Umbra Soul

Necrozma takes a knock off from seismitoad late game, and proceeds to sweep the other team.

Felixx

I'm back.

Croaky Boi (Toxicroak) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 148 SpD / 108 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Protect / Sucker Punch / Toxic

Came back to RU recently only to find out that Mega Toise is still a broken fucker in the tier, so I decided to craft this cool Toxicroak set. Because M-Lix, Gligar, and Doublade are gone, I'm able to run a more passive Croak set w/o being punished too badly. Moving on to the set, I ran enough Speed EVs for Modest M-Toise and put the rest into its bulk. The bulk + Black Sludge also lets it setup more easily versus Golisopod, Regi, Florges, Ice Beam Milo, etc. The last move is customizable, Protect gives you more Black Sludge turns + scouts Choice-locked mons like Flygon and Gard. Sucker is for revenge killing shit but it's kinda weak w/o Attack investment, and Toxic is for Toad and Bro, slowly wearing them down (Toxic also can't miss bc Croak is a Poison-type).

252+ SpA Blastoise-Mega Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Toxicroak: 157-185 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Blastoise-Mega Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Toxicroak: 129-152 (34.8 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Last edited:

Croaky Boi (Toxicroak) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SpD / 200 Spe
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Protect / Sucker Punch / Toxic

Came back to RU recently only to find out that Mega Toise is still a broken fucker in the tier, so I decided to craft this cool Toxicroak set. Because M-Lix, Gligar, and Doublade are gone, I'm able to run a more passive Croak set w/o being punished too badly. Moving on to the set, I ran enough Speed EVs for Modest M-Toise and put the rest into its bulk, even reaching a jump point in Sp Def. The bulk + Black Sludge also lets it setup more easily versus Golisopod, Regi, Florges, Ice Beam Milo, etc. The last move is customizable, Protect gives you more Black Sludge turns + scouts Choice-locked mons like Flygon and Gard. Sucker is for revenge killing shit but it's kinda weak w/o Attack investment, and Toxic is for Toad and Bro, slowly wearing them down (Toxic also can't miss bc Croak is a Poison-type).

252+ SpA Blastoise-Mega Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Toxicroak: 157-185 (51.1 - 60.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Blastoise-Mega Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 56+ SpD Toxicroak: 132-156 (35.6 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Cool set but running Timid 108 EVs let Croak reach the same speed while increasing Sp.Def further

252+ SpA Blastoise-Mega Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 148 SpD Toxicroak: 129-152 (34.8 - 41%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Necrozma @ Rockium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Photon Geyser
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind

Offensive stealth rock set that takes rockium z and calm mind to handle common hazard removers that necrozma can struggle with such as florges and mandibuzz and to break past slowbro. The set appreciates the loss of ches/gligar/doublade since both it and the teammates that appreciate what this set brings (such as zydog or virizion) generally benefit from these threats not being present.

+1 252 SpA Necrozma Continental Crush (160 BP) vs. 248 HP / 240+ SpD Mandibuzz: 386-456 (91.2 - 107.8%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252 SpA Necrozma Continental Crush (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 292-344 (78 - 91.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Necrozma Continental Crush (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Mantine: 390-460 (104.2 - 122.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Necrozma Continental Crush (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 410-483 (104 - 122.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rocks

+1 252 SpA Necrozma Continental Crush (160 BP) vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Forretress: 385-454 (108.7 - 128.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

+2 252 SpA Necrozma Photon Geyser vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Florges: 220-261 (61.1 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Necrozma Continental Crush (160 BP) vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Araquanid: 272-320 (90.3 - 106.3%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)