Round 81 Tutee Tournament - Finals [Won by Pwnemon]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just as a reminder, we will be now rewarding the winner of the Tutee Tournament with a custom user-title, along with intense media coverage. There is also a possibility for the finals to be hosted on a Smogcast, though that is subject to timing schedules.

Welcome to the signup thread of the tutoring tournaments for Battling 101! Here, all tutees who signed up for round 81, who was tutored by someone are eligible to sign up to play. Due to time constraints, only the first 16 people who indicate interest in the Apprentice Program signup thread will be allowed to participate. If we get more, however, I will consider increasing the number of participants. Also, please note that this is a XY OU tournament. Simply post your profile as you did when you signed up to get tutored (we will be checking everyone's post to make sure that they were in fact tutored during round 81). For reference:

Username:
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:
What tier do you want to learn?:
Tell us a little about yourself: Please familiarize yourself with the rules below that are specific to Tutoring Tournaments. They can be found on-site here, but I will list them below for your convenience.

1. Battles will be 6 on 6 (XY OU) played on the Showdown simulator.
  2. Tournament rounds will last a maximum of 1 week. No extensions will be granted. It is up to the discretion of the tournament administrator to determine who will advance in the event of an incomplete match.
  3. Pokemon that are considered "Uber" are banned from use on all teams. Smogon's tier list is supreme. Smogon's ban list can be found here.
The following clauses must be enabled for all Tutoring Tournament matches.
  • Timed Battle: Select this clause when challenging for all Smogon Tour matches. This is necessary in the interest of finishing the tournament in a speedy manner.
  • Species Clause: A player cannot have two of the same Pokémon on their team. For example, a player cannot have two Koffings on his or her team.
  • Sleep Clause: A player cannot put two or more different opposing Pokémon to sleep using attacks that induce sleep to opposing Pokémon.
  • Evasion Clause: A player cannot increase their Pokémon's evasion stat with a move that specifically increases evasion. Items or indirect boosts do not break this clause.
  • OHKO Clause: Players cannot use moves that have a chance of instantly KO opposing Pokémon. For example, Horn Drill is an illegal move to have on a Pokémon's move set.
  • Wifi Clause: Team Preview must be enabled for all XY games.

Round 1:

Debury vs swhannell
725roy vs Level100Afroman
indian vs Metal Sonic
AuraRayquaza vs Pwnemon
ArcanineDog vs Ultimathunder
Snowflakes vs youngjake93

Semi Finals:

725roy vs Pwnemon
Ultimathunder
vs youngjake93
Debury vs indian

Finals:

Pwnemon vs Ultimathunder
Pwnemon vs Debury
Ultimathunder vs Debury

Deadline: 4/5/14

Last edited:
Username: Debury
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Debury
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT - Monday/ Tuesday Morning, Tuesday Evening, Wednesday Afternoon, All day Thursday/Friday. (It's always the same time for availability as my work is the same week to week.)
What tier do you want to learn?: XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: Been back and playing Pokemon competitively now for a few months but find I am missing certain skills to become better. I would like to be able to build good successful teams and be good at using them. Usually I end up tying myself in knots and coming up with ineffective teams and lack the foresight to improve on them. I have been a regular user of the competitive tutoring and the IRC but just feel 1 to 1 tutoring is the way I need to go to truly get better. I also wish to become better at knowing what I am talking about to contribute more heavily in Smogon based discussions.
Will you be willing to do tutee talkthreads on your tutors?: Definitely
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: yes

Tutored by Metal Sonic this round. Thanks for a great month!

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Username: 725roy
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: 725roy
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: I’m CST so GMT -6 right now. Usually any time between 3-9:30ish p.m. on weekdays and weekends are flexible.
What tier do you want to learn?: X/Y OU
Tell us a little about yourself: Well, I’m a high school sophomore, and ever since I finished my game and finals are over, I need something to do. I kind of know the XY metagame, but I’d like to receive formal training, as I want to become a better battler more than anything.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Naturally.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Yes. Of course.

I was skipped a while back, and the two times I was chosen, neither of my tutors made an effort to work with me, despite me trying to contact them as much as possible.

Username: swhannell
Pokémon Online/Pokémon Showdown/Shoddy Username: swhannell
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT 6pm -12am (though I'm quite flexible with times as I am a student).
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Doubles, VGC
Tell us a little about yourself: I am currently studying at University and am in my final year. Pokémon Blue was the very first video game I played and I have been hooked ever since to the world that is Pokémon, buying every generation up to now. I have decided after a couple of years of wanting to get more involved as a 'Pokémon trainer'. Recently I have been researching more and more about Pokémon and can now iv breed and EV train effectively, visiting many many sites and forums to learn more about Pokémon. My goal is to enter the VGC this year and hopefully do at least half well. I want to above all else, grow more into the Pokémon community as I feel I could one day help someone out as others have helped me.At the moment what I am struggling most with is building an effective team that suits my play style.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Definitely.
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: I'm not very good at tournaments but I can give it a shot.
YOU MUST PROVIDE A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF WHY YOU SHOULD BE TUTORED IF YOU HAVE FEWER THAN 25 POSTS: I tend to only post when I absolutely must, rather than post just to get my numbers up. I feel once I get into the swing of things I will post more and more.
I was skipped last round. Fingers crossed for this time round.

Username: Level100Afroman
Pokemon Online Username: Richard Seymour, KG05, Lvl100Afroman
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: 4-10 EST Weekdays, Rough sketch of that weekends. 11-2 Weekends
What tier do you want to learn?:XY OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I played football for my High School and am huge into video editing and gaming. I'm big into competitive Call of Duty as well as Competitive Pokemon and want to give myself a shot at the big dogs.

Username: indian
Pokemon Showdown:me_aman
Your timezone and usual hours of availability:GMT+5:30. i am available from 10 in morning to 5 in evening(any 3?4 hours between this time).
What tier do you want to learn?: OU
Tell us a little about yourself: i am an indian who is going to college this year, and i will be doing engineering.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: yup
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?:of course

i had signed up before but was skipped.

i was tutored by hooting starmie.

Username: AuraRayquaza
Pokemon Online/Shoddy Username: AuraRayquaza
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: most days from 6-8pm (GMT+0)
What tier do you want to learn?: ADV OU
Tell us a little about yourself: I have been playing competitive Pokemon (VGC) since the release of Black and White and have been playing doubles since the start of the bw metagame when it was still an OM, im pretty good at it. I have always wanted to play the earlier metas but have never known where to start so i want to learn.
Tutee talk: yes
Tutee tournament: yes

Metal Sonic

Resurgence
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Username: Metal Sonic
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Metal Sonic
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT+8
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Ubers / XY LC
Tell us a little about yourself:I like sonic the hedgehog
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Yes
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Yes

Skipped in round 78,79,80 :o

Stratos

Banned deucer.
Username: Pwnemon
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Pwnemon (PS)
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT-5, available from ~7PM EST to ~10PM EST almost always on weekdays, basically all day weekends, some other random times too
Tell us a little about yourself: Hi I'm Pwnemon, i have three badges which means i'm an obviously good user who deserves lots of tutoring n__n. I've played OU since 2009 but I have never actually understood it at all, and with showdown it's harder than ever to learn by laddering because facing good people where you can learn from your losses is so rare. I'm sick of being mediocre-bad at ou so I'm signing up for tutoring so I can hopefully play on a competitive level something other than Doubles.

Username: ArcanineDog
Pokemon Showdown Username: Arkanii
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -6. Usually available after 3-4PM in exception to Saturday which may be a little later.
Tell us a little about yourself: My involvement with Pokemon has been mostly the trading card game which I competed in tournaments for about six-seven years or so. Wanting to mix things up, I decided to try to learn the video game which I have read a lot of articles but never been able to piece the stuff I have read together to make actual use out of it. Outside Pokemon, I am a fan of eastern culture and consider myself a complete spicy food freak.

Name: Ultimathunder
PS/PO name: Ultimathunder
Timezone and availibility: PST (-8 GMT) and in the late afternoons.
Tiers I want to learn: XY LC
A bit about myself: Im a neurology major in college. I have a wide variety of hobbies including learning world languages and playing tennis. I play a lot of Smogon Doubles (best tier) and use IRC a lot, and want to get better at some other tiers. :)

Last edited:

Snowflakes

Dango Dango Daikazoku
is a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Username: Snowflakes
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: Snowflakes/Snowflakes/why?
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: GMT -5 EST pretty much 24/7
What tier do you want to learn?: XY Dubs
Tell us a little about yourself: I'm 20, I go to college and I like making Relados blush. Pokemon wise, I've been playing competitively since gen 4 and have never amounted to anything in those years competitive wise.
Will you be willing to do tutee talk threads on your tutors?: Ye
Are you interested in playing for the Round 81 Tutee Tournament?: Sure
[23:40] <Mizuhime> sign up and say i agreed to tutor :]

I was tutored back in like round 6x by TGMD if that has any effect on things.

tl;dr in

Sure why not...
Pokemon Online/Pokemon Showdown/Shoddy Username: youngjake93
Your timezone and usual hours of availability: Almost all the time on my phone. It varies when at the computer though EST(-5)
What tier do you want to learn?: Literally ANY tier
Tell us a little about yourself:
I had a goal when tutoring Haruno in dubs. It was to get him to a level where he could build a team and have a serious chance to beat basically any given opponent. He got the opportunity to beat most of the active doubles players at least one time :)
Anyway, that is my goal for myself. I want to pick up another tier and get good enough to where I have at least a chance at beating some of the best in that tier.
As of now, I know dubs and I am 'decent' at the other XY metas. I know mostly the basics in every tier already except adv, so I'm mainly just looking to actually get good in whatever tier we got tutors for.
Will you be willing to do tutee talkthreads on your tutors?: Yes.

Limitless

Success is the best revenge.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Round 1:

Debury vs swhannell
725roy vs Level100Afroman
indian vs Metal Sonic
AuraRayquaza vs Pwnemon
ArcanineDog vs Ultimathunder
Snowflakes vs youngjake93

Deadline: 3/18/14

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
My opponent hasn't messaged me since Monday. I'm still waiting. Scratch that, we should be fighting now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)